Jump to content

Celebrity Obsession - Help or Support


Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I've revealed my COs in the past, but probably won't reveal the current guy. Of course I feel like I've dropped enough clues for anyone who's familiar with him to guess who he is, but I know several of us are paranoid that we're being obvious when others really have no idea who we're talking about.

It blows my mind, but a couple of people here have been able to correctly guess who my CO is. There are people my own age who have probably long forgotten him and his band, but some here 20-30 years younger than me figured it out. :cheesy: 

I'm only paranoid about because, out of respect for him, I don't want his name showing up in a thread posted by a woman with mental health issues on a Depression Forum. I'm past the point of closely guarding the secret in the manner I did when I was between the ages of 11-58. 😋 

@HopelessRomantic2011 I have no idea who your CO is!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Audrey822 said:

It blows my mind, but a couple of people here have been able to correctly guess who my CO is. There are people my own age who have probably long forgotten him and his band, but some here 20-30 years younger than me figured it out. :cheesy: 

I'm only paranoid about because, out of respect for him, I don't want his name showing up in a thread posted by a woman with mental health issues on a Depression Forum. I'm past the point of closely guarding the secret in the manner I did when I was between the ages of 11-58. 😋 

@HopelessRomantic2011 I have no idea who your CO is!!

How could you not know though?? I feel like since I said he's the most beautiful man alive that anyone who's ever laid eyes on him should IMMEDIATELY know who I'm talking about! I've made it so obvious! 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

How could you not know though?? I feel like since I said he's the most beautiful man alive that anyone who's ever laid eyes on him should IMMEDIATELY know who I'm talking about! I've made it so obvious! 😂

Wait....you and I have the same CO? 😋

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

Ok fine, he's the most beautiful man alive in his 20s. So now I'm sure EVERYONE knows exactly who I'm referring to! 😂😂

I'm glad we got that straightened out!! I wouldn't want to have to pull rank on you over my CO (and besides, I love him :icon12:...I won't let go easily, girl!! 😋)

I really don't know a lot of celebrities who are in their 20s so your secret is safe with me! 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2009 at 0:47 PM, aries_gurl said:
Advertisement

Hi there. I am new here. I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but I do suffer from depression and anxiety. I have a problem and I didn't know where else to go.

I'm too ashamed to tell anyone close to me about it because I feel so ridiculous. What initially started as a harmless crush on this male celebrity has turned into something thats

taking over my life. Thing is, this celebrity is really nice in real life and really approachable, so it makes him even more attractive to me. I haven't met him but I know people who have.

I think about him all day, daydreaming constantly, spend hours googling him and checking all the latest news on him online. And if I hear he's dating someone,

I become really jealous and even more depressed. And heres the kicker: I am married to a nice man, who is very good to me. And I still have this horrible obsession on the side!

When my husband is at work, I'll spend the day daydreaming about this celebrity. I'll also watch his movies over and over, and turn on music and dance around, thinking

about what it would be like to be with him. I can't seem to stop! He's famous, he's out living his life, and he doesn't know I exist, and I am married for crying out loud!

What is wrong with me? I know it probably isn't love, it's an infatuation gone out of control and I don't know how to get my life back.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? I would really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance. :shocked:

First of all, don't feel ashamed. Dean Winchester, from the show Supernatural is my imaginary husband, lol. And I too am married to a wonderful man and I am 36 years old with two teenage kids. It is not a shameful thing. Believe it or not People who suffer from depression and anxiety are often OCD about celebrities and/or fictional characters. The reason is this: when you suffer from depression and anxiety, your brain has a hard time shutting down from your real world troubles. So it gives you a place of peace and a distraction. I am Terrible about the daydreaming at bedtime. Life is tough and all I can do is obsess about the daily troubles of life. But when those thoughts are directed towards my own imagination, I can set aside the real life stress and relax a bit. I've done this my entire life. As an adult, I too began to feel embarrassed about it, but I noticed that throughout the years, my obsessions varied with what I was into at the time, and realized it was my own personal defense mechanism, to battle my depression and anxiety. 

My husband is aware. And like you I met the man and it just added to the obsession. But it's not anything to be ashamed of. 

No judgement here, my Friend, hopefully the fact that you are not alone will be a comfort. If I can be any other help let me know 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Darkness124 said:

First of all, don't feel ashamed. Dean Winchester, from the show Supernatural is my imaginary husband, lol. And I too am married to a wonderful man and I am 36 years old with two teenage kids. It is not a shameful thing. Believe it or not People who suffer from depression and anxiety are often OCD about celebrities and/or fictional characters. The reason is this: when you suffer from depression and anxiety, your brain has a hard time shutting down from your real world troubles. So it gives you a place of peace and a distraction. I am Terrible about the daydreaming at bedtime. Life is tough and all I can do is obsess about the daily troubles of life. But when those thoughts are directed towards my own imagination, I can set aside the real life stress and relax a bit. I've done this my entire life. As an adult, I too began to feel embarrassed about it, but I noticed that throughout the years, my obsessions varied with what I was into at the time, and realized it was my own personal defense mechanism, to battle my depression and anxiety. 

My husband is aware. And like you I met the man and it just added to the obsession. But it's not anything to be ashamed of. 

No judgement here, my Friend, hopefully the fact that you are not alone will be a comfort. If I can be any other help let me know 😀

Hi there and welcome to the thread! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the thread @Darkness124. The OP, aries_gurl has long ago moved on, I haven't seen her post since I've been here (I joined in January 2014 😊.)

I used to feel a little weird about the whole imaginary life going on in my head, but I don't anymore. I have OCD, depression, anxiety and a lot of other reasons for zoning out the way I do. My story has been told over and over in this thread. Once I analyzed my life, I realized that I truly love the man I refer to here as my CO. Some may say I'm crazy for thinking I can love someone I barely know....they're entitled to their opinion, but that's just their opinion. I know what's in my heart. :icon12:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone 😊

I have to agree with what's already been said about Sally wishing for her CO's rivals to get injured. Obviously we can't help having mean thoughts from time to time, but as someone who also has an athlete CO, I don't like to read those sorts of comments. Particularly because my CO has had a horrible time with illness/injuries over the last 12 months.

Although I admit that there are a few of my CO's rivals who I love to see lose ( there's my mean thought confession for the day lol), I would NEVER wish for them to be injured. I want to see him beat them fair and square... It's far more satisfying!

As others have already said, it's unlikely that Sally will read this, but it does sound to me like she is still very hung up on this guy even if she doesn't want to admit it. It also seems like this obsession has quite a negative effect on her. My advice to her would be to cut him out of her life entirely if he just makes her miserable. There are other great people out there who could bring her real happiness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OpalP25 said:

Although I admit that there are a few of my CO's rivals who I love to see lose ( there's my mean thought confession for the day lol), I would NEVER wish for them to be injured. I want to see him beat them fair and square... It's far more satisfying!

 

I don't think there's a fan of any sport that doesn't enjoy seeing a rival LOSE. 😈But I agree 100% with that last comment...winning is always better than losing, but less satisfying if fans of other teams or players are going to taunt that your fave only won because their opponent was hobbled with injuries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is extremely interesting to me. I knew there had to be others who had these type of obsessions, but until now. I never saw any shame in it. My COs shift from the to time, but consistently now for about three years I have maintain consistent one. They all fit a specific MO, always self conflicted characters (I prefer characters played vs actor/actress), and basically I have identified that it's just a distraction from daily life to allow me to relax; basically a built in defense mechanism. This is not an issue nor a reason for Judgement, provided you can still differiciate reality and fiction!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@scc,

I am not sure if you mean stuff in the news lately, or the stuff about your CO. If you mean your CO, then I just don't know enough to give you good advice. From what you've said before, it sounds like he was involved in a sex scandal and he cheated on his wife. I am not condoning his action, but WHY is this such a BIG deal that his whole career is over? I don't get that. Most celebrities are involved with sex scandals, so unless he is a child molester, or a spiritual teacher, (who is supposed to be celibate), I really don't see why this would be the END of the road for him. I am sure his staff and PR advisors know all about the sex scandal and they are working around the clock to figure out the best way he can clean up his image. If you write to them again about this, you'll just look foolish. As if they wouldn't know about ALL the gossip, rumors, the actual truth of the situation, and whatever things people are saying about him! You don't need to tell them all about it or fix this man's life. You've got to stop obsessing on this before you do something stupid that you're going to regret, such as contacting them again and getting them mad at you, or even irritating your CO! Do you want your CO to be mad at you? There is nothing worse than the feeling that your CO is mad, so don't do this to yourself! If you want to help him, send him your prayers and good thoughts. Positive energy can make a difference at a subtle level and it would benefit him a lot more than worrying about his career being over.

Edited by BlueStarr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Audrey822 It's really annoying when fans of other players/teams say things like that! Especially when the player in question's "injury" is purely tactical (like my CO's most recent opponent) 😣. I am glad at least that my CO has far too much class to do that sort of thing.

@scc I'm sorry you feel like awful things keep happening to your CO. A lot of the time that seems to be the case for my CO too. (Just this week he narrowly missed out on what could have been a big career opportunity & I am trying (& failing) to not be too disappointed). But he always comes back from his setbacks and I'm sure your CO will be able to do the same thing.

One thing I'm wondering though: has as anything bad actually happened for certain concerning your CO? Is it still just the affair rumours that are the issue or is there something else? Because if the problem is that those rumours keep circulating, there's really nothing more you can do except wait for his team to sort things out. I agree with BlueStarr that they'll be able to find a solution. You've just got to hold on and be patient a little while longer.:hugs:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would never wish harm on my CC or anybody associated with him, I want him to be happy in the end and that's what matters most. I know it's difficult when you have that crush and you want to be the one making them happy but reality has to step in at some point. I just remind myself I have met my crush a few times, hugged him, talked to him, he probably would know me if he saw me again (maybe not but he's known for remembering fans) and he's off doing his thing and I'm doing mine. Nothing happened, it's all fantasy.  He's more interested in women who look like Barbies then a girl like me, I can't change that. All those things keep me grounded. I have my reality already, and he's not part of it and prob never will be. They have their lives and we have ours. 

Edited by Javaaddict
Spelling corrections
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Javaaddict said:

I would never wish harm on my CC or anybody associated with him, I want him to be happy in the end and that's what matters most. I know it's difficult when you have that crush and you want to be the one making them happy but reality has to step in at some point. I just remind myself I have met my crush a few times, hugged him, talked to him, he probably would know me if he saw me again (maybe not but he's known for remembering fans) and he's off doing his thing and I'm doing mine. Nothing happened, it's all fantasy.  He's more interested in women who look like Barbies then a girl like me, I can't change that. All those things keep me grounded. I have my reality already, and he's not part of it and prob never will be. They have their lives and we have ours. 

Very true! I've been feeling depressed about my life lately. It all feels like an empty existence. I don't think therapy is helping me much. I feel like I'm never going to do anything in life that's really fulfilling. I didn't mean for this to be a pity party though, sorry about that! I'll be traveling to see a former CO in concert in a few months, so hopefully that'll cheer me up! I think it will. I just need to have fun more often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2017 at 1:22 PM, Javaaddict said:

I would never wish harm on my CC or anybody associated with him, I want him to be happy in the end and that's what matters most. I know it's difficult when you have that crush and you want to be the one making them happy but reality has to step in at some point. I just remind myself I have met my crush a few times, hugged him, talked to him, he probably would know me if he saw me again (maybe not but he's known for remembering fans) and he's off doing his thing and I'm doing mine. Nothing happened, it's all fantasy.  He's more interested in women who look like Barbies then a girl like me, I can't change that. All those things keep me grounded. I have my reality already, and he's not part of it and prob never will be. They have their lives and we have ours. 

Checking back in again!

The bolded makes me angry, too, @Javaaddict. I didn't like it when I happened to find photos of the wife of my Celebrity Crush #1, and the girlfriend of my Celebrity Crush #3. (Celebrity Crush #2 is a gay actor from the British Isles, and I have no idea if he has a guy SO at the moment, and it wouldn't bother me if he did, of course! Can't be jealous of a MAN, because I am not a man! LOL) 

The wife of CC#1 and the girlfriend of CC#3, who is almost young enough to be my son, are both skinny as a rail, both had long black hair, and both look like they'd be prettier if they put ON a little weight and curves. Not to be critical, but that was what went through my mind when I saw their photos. It didn't seem like a looks "match" because both women looked almost gaunt, while my crushes are both very cute. Physically they were the opposite of me even when I was younger- I'm blonde, fair skinned, and always had a few extra lbs. I've been slim a few times in my life whenever I dieted hard, but never 'skinny.' :(

CC#1 is overweight- he's at LEAST 30 or 40 pounds overweight- but he's still very cute and handsome. No one makes his weight an issue. It is a terrible double standard in Hollywood, because his female counterparts like, for example- Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson, both funny comedian actresses who happened to be plus size, have both lost a lot of weight under the pressure of Hollywood. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(Was going to add but I was automatically logged out) 

Of course, this (all above) is all a very stupid thing to dwell on, because my CC's don't even know me from Eve!

But then- you never know with trophy wives that rich celebrity men have- if they are genuinely attracted to them. I'm not sexually attracted to gaunt skeletons, why would they be? (headscratcher)

I don't want to mention the guy by name because he's someone's CO, but one of the affairs he had was with a very heavyset woman, and I was like...Really? Very below his wives in conventional looks level, but maybe that was his secret attraction. So I guess you never really know when it comes to men's affairs. Still, if I personally met any of my (straight) crushes, I'd rather be just friends with them than an affair! LOL. It wouldn't be right! That's why I'm more jealous of the actresses they get to work with and pal around with. 

Edited by imalittleteapot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2017 at 9:26 AM, imalittleteapot said:

(Was going to add but I was automatically logged out) 

Of course, this (all above) is all a very stupid thing to dwell on, because my CC's don't even know me from Eve!

But then- you never know with trophy wives that rich celebrity men have- if they are genuinely attracted to them. I'm not sexually attracted to gaunt skeletons, why would they be? (headscratcher)

I don't want to mention the guy by name because he's someone's CO, but one of the affairs he had was with a very heavyset woman, and I was like...Really? Very below his wives in conventional looks level, but maybe that was his secret attraction. So I guess you never really know when it comes to men's affairs. Still, if I personally met any of my (straight) crushes, I'd rather be just friends with them than an affair! LOL. It wouldn't be right! That's why I'm more jealous of the actresses they get to work with and pal around with. 

True. Not to say that no one would find her attractive, but I think many people didn't expect a guy like him to be interested in her. That just goes to show that all of us might have a chance with our COs. You never know! Hopefully, my CO is secretly attracted to women who are almost 10 years older than he is (but could pass for younger). LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2017 at 0:01 PM, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

True. Not to say that no one would find her attractive, but I think many people didn't expect a guy like him to be interested in her. That just goes to show that all of us might have a chance with our COs. You never know! Hopefully, my CO is secretly attracted to women who are almost 10 years older than he is (but could pass for younger). LOL

Even if I was single, I still would not stand a chance. I mean this cc is super handsome and really seems to like really thin blondes (I'm an overweight brunette), I just hate that I'm so drawn to him.  I've had other cc's in my life time but this one I'm so drawn to and I'm yet to understand why. I just keep telling myself that I have met him and he was not in the least bit interested lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2017 at 10:06 AM, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

Ok fine, he's the most beautiful man alive in his 20s. So now I'm sure EVERYONE knows exactly who I'm referring to! 😂😂

Oooh now I'm curious.  In his 20's.  Now I'm very curious.  I have not read the whole thread. Is he a singer? Does his name begin with an A by any chance? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, wildh said:

wow this is really nice topic

I've been obsessing with grace neutral for like 3 years, never had this kind of thing before, i suffer from anxiety and get lonely a lot - so that must be it.

Welcome to the thread! I definitely experience loneliness and anxiety too, but I've been getting these obsessions all my life. I still think it might be due to Asperger's in my case, but I don't know for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

Yes and yes! See, I knew someone would be able to guess. :) Don't say his actual name though, please! I adore him.

Not a problem. I refuse to name mine too.  If yours is who I think it is, I used to be a huge fan of his brothers group, although I did not have a huge crush on him like most others had lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...