Celebrity Obsession - Help or Support

Hi guys.

During my CO's breakup with HER, he was so much calmer and mature. I don't think there's going to be another breakup. He's changed his Instagram picture to one of her and him together. Even though they're both actually going through another lull in their respective fields, people disregard this and just coo over how 'sweet' they are.

I know it's a cliche, but why do good things happen to bad people? Or am I a bad person, getting what I deserve?

I look at my life in two parts; before he met her and after. I've lost interest in everything.

I will never get another obsession, nor will I fall in love. I've had no update about my illness and I'm angry that this probably means there's no immediate threat. 

I don't want to live. I'm done. 

Thanks for the advice NCC but when I said pervert I just wanted it understood that it was not a 16 year old starlet. I've been reading some of the other posts and quite a few people said that they have had CO for many years or moved from one celebrity to the next. like I said I am over 50 years old and this is really the first time I've gone through something like this. There have been many pretty celebrities that I've found beautiful or gorgeous but this time it's different. I am trying to disconnect from her and move on with my life. I know it will eventually end but it's just a little frustrating right now.

1 hour ago, BkFuzz1 said:

Thanks for the advice NCC but when I said pervert I just wanted it understood that it was not a 16 year old starlet. I've been reading some of the other posts and quite a few people said that they have had CO for many years or moved from one celebrity to the next. like I said I am over 50 years old and this is really the first time I've gone through something like this. There have been many pretty celebrities that I've found beautiful or gorgeous but this time it's different. I am trying to disconnect from her and move on with my life. I know it will eventually end but it's just a little frustrating right now.

Hi @BkFuzz1... I'm in your situation, sort of. I'm over 60, but I'm a woman who's had a CO for a very long time who's 16 years older than me.  I don't want to let go. But I know what I'd need to do if I wanted to.

Are you following your CO on social media? If so, that's the first thing I'd suggest you should stop. Start cutting ties to her, a little at a time...just not all at once. You don't want to be counterproductive, just enough to pull back a little at a time...then a little more. 

Good luck! 

7 hours ago, Audrey822 said:

Hi @BkFuzz1... I'm in your situation, sort of. I'm over 60, but I'm a woman who's had a CO for a very long time who's 16 years older than me.  I don't want to let go. But I know what I'd need to do if I wanted to.

Are you following your CO on social media? If so, that's the first thing I'd suggest you should stop. Start cutting ties to her, a little at a time...just not all at once. You don't want to be counterproductive, just enough to pull back a little at a time...then a little more. 

Good luck! 

I thank you for your words of encouragement Audrey822. I do follow her on social media and anything I can get               information on her. I am pulling back but I still have a need to take a peek. like I said in my previous posts this is the first time in my 50+ years this has happened to me. I think everyone male and female see actors or singers or any other celebrity they find attractive but this is a first for me. My daughters at one time or another have had crushes on singers or young actors and I thought it's a teenage thing, but I guess it can happen at any age.

@BkFuzz1 I am another who is too old to have celebrity crushes, but here I am. I have teenage daughters and they don't seem to have any celebrity crushes at all or if they do, it's likely the usual, healthy 'look at him he's cute I'll watch his music video/movie/etc.' 

I really ought to unfollow my main CO on Twitter. It bothers me that at on any day, I know where he is in the world because I run across a Tweet.

Right now he's an a European country I'd love to visit someday. In order to unfollow him, I'd have to go to his page, and I'd have to close my eyes tight before pressing the 'unfollow' button because I've never scrolled his profile. So far I haven't seen pictures of his wife on Twitter. He usually shares things entertainment and acting-related, politics-related (he posts a LOT of anti-Trump, lol) and tons of selfies and funny videos with other Hollywood actor friends.

I'm amazed at the ENERGY my CO has, to travel all around the world so often! I hate flying. Being in a plane scares me to death most of the time, and I only fly once a year every summer. He flies around the world constantly! So of course, I worry about him being in a plane crash. I also worry about my CO's health, because from the time of my favorite movie he filmed in and recent photos, it looks like he's gained some weight. (He's still attractive and cuddly with it though!) He's a chubby, hyperactive, comic actor, kind of like John Candy and Chris Farley were. (RIP) I never found those two attractive, though, but NOT because of their heavy weight. My CO has the perfect set of facial features, that's why! (oh, his eyes!)  

Also, I noticed a lot of his tweets are very emotional and heartfelt. He seems like a super-emotional person who reacts strongly to things, and that's another quality about him I adore.

I doubt anyone here has the same CO, but I better stop talking about him because I don't want guesses. 

Edited by imalittleteapot

On 5/5/2017 at 7:53 AM, BkFuzz1 said:

Like you, I'm over 50 and my obsession with Reina really is the first of this kind for me.  The biggest difference between me and most people  here, I enjoy my CO. She makes me feel alive. Right now, I have no intentions of letting her go. I don't want to, I love indulging in her.

Now if you want to get rid of your CO.  Stay away from any social media involving her.  If you want to just take a peak at her or what she's up to, don't. Find something else to do. Go have fun with your wife instead. Cold turkey is the only way, there's no other option which works. 

Out of sight, out of mind. 

Edited by NCC

On 5/4/2017 at 9:17 PM, sv14 said:

Hi guys.

During my CO's breakup with HER, he was so much calmer and mature. I don't think there's going to be another breakup. He's changed his Instagram picture to one of her and him together. Even though they're both actually going through another lull in their respective fields, people disregard this and just coo over how 'sweet' they are.

I know it's a cliche, but why do good things happen to bad people? Or am I a bad person, getting what I deserve?

I look at my life in two parts; before he met her and after. I've lost interest in everything.

I will never get another obsession, nor will I fall in love. I've had no update about my illness and I'm angry that this probably means there's no immediate threat. 

I don't want to live. I'm done. 

I don't know if you're suffering from clinical depression or life just sucks. But what you need to do is talk to someone.  Not wanting to live is more than just the blues over a celeb.   I wish you well sv14, please get help. 

1 minute ago, NCC said:

Like you, I'm over 50 and my obsession with Reina really is first of the kind for me.  The biggest difference between me and most people  here, I enjoy my CO. She makes me feel alive. Right now, I have no intentions of letting her go. I don't want to, I love indulging in her.

Now if you want to get rid of your CO.  Stay away from any social media involving her.  If you want to just take a peak at her or what she's up to, don't. Find something else to do. Go have fun with your wife instead. Cold turkey is the only way, there's no other option which works. 

Out of sight, out of mind. 

I said this yesterday....you're not the only one over 50 (60 in my case) who doesn't want to get rid of a CO...I enjoy mine as well.  I agree that cutting off from social media is what needs to be done if someone really wants to let go.  If it's necessary to continue peeking, maybe they're not as ready to let go as they say they are.  That's OK...but they have to be honest with themselves about what they really want.  In my opinion, there's no shame in peeking if they're getting pleasure from it and it's not hurting anyone.  

I'm going to throw it out there that there are also those of us who would be enjoying our COs if we weren't in pain over certain facts we learned about their personal lives. If my CO had stayed single for the rest of his life, I'd be happy as a clam right now. I might not be "enjoying him" these days, but my feelings for him have never changed. I'm not interested in letting go of him (it's not possible anyway), even though I currently can't handle him. 

@BkFuzz1 I had to go the "avoid" route, to save my sanity. I don't keep up with my CO on social media anymore, or watch his videos, or listen to his podcasts...nothing. For me it wasn't about wanting to get rid of my CO...it was about finding his personal life too difficult to bear. It doesn't matter the reason though. If you're motivated enough, you can take the required steps to eliminate her online presence from your everyday life. You don't have to do it all at once, if that seems impossible. You can do it step by step, but you need to start somewhere. You can maybe start by unfollowing her on social media, but still making it a point to check her social media page(s) twice a week. Then you can try to only check it once a week. After that, see if you can go two weeks without checking. 

I also think that you need to ask yourself why exactly you want to get rid of this obsession. Do you find it shameful, or are you afraid it's going to hurt you at some point? I don't think celebrity obsession itself is shameful, and you only might get hurt if the obsession continues to grow in intensity over a long period of time. 

You're right @posie_riot...even though I don't want to give up my CO, I've been hurt.  That's why I'm here.  I don't want to let him go, but checking social media or even Googling his name is not a good idea for me.  I can't....I also go the "avoid" route for my sanity.  

You've offered some good suggestions for pulling back.  I always tell people social media is poison whether you want to give up your CO or not.  It was for me. 

I haven't posted on this site in a long time. I've been trying to forget that my celebrity even exists and it's been mostly working. Every two or three weeks, I'll do a quick twitter search to see if my celebrity has gotten signed by a football team. Even though I'm not obsessed with him anymore, I still want him to be successful in his career and would love to hear that he's back playing football this year.

Today, I was scrolling through Twitter and I see a strange tweet by my favorite team's (injured) QB. His rookie season was my celebrity's last season with the team - about 3 years ago. Now I don't follow this QB on Twitter but his tweet got re-tweeted by a reporter. It basically said, "She misses you too". I thought, "What in the world is he talking about and why did this sports reporter retweet it?" Then I looked down and see that it was a response to my celebrity who said, "I miss hanging out with your mom." It made me laugh because my celebrity and this QB would always goof around during practice and I can totally see them hanging out with this guy's mom. It also makes me think that maybe my celebrity misses being on the team. A few weeks ago, I saw that he tweeted about not being able to fish at his secret fishing spot located a few miles from the training facility. I really wish he would re-sign with the team, but the team already has 5 QBs signed for training camp. Oh, well, like I said, I'm not obsessed with him anymore - I just like watching him play.

@Sally55 I remember you on this thread from a long time ago, with your love for the football player. I remember the NFL team you liked, because that team is a favorite state-border rival of MY favorite NFL team! :) I've had a minor crush on OUR quarterback, but it's no big deal because every woman here does (#12!) 

I'm glad your obsession has waned. Sometimes it takes years. It took me 3 years to get over a limerent crush on a non-famous man I'd interacted with online. Now that's been replaced with CO for a comedian/movie actor.

@Audrey822 has feelings for your CO gotten worse (sadness) or more positive and happy since you got to meet and talk to him back in February? Has it felt like you wish you could see him and talk to him again, that that one time wasn't enough?

I think with my CO, I'd be completely thrilled and happy to have a short, fun greet with him. He's been known to show up by surprise at public venues like movie theaters and start hugging random strangers and ladies, singing and MC'ing at the events. One of the public venues he showed up in was a popular theme park I've been to 5 times. If only I happened to be there 2 months or so ago! There's a video of him just running around hugging people and spreading his sunshine. <3. I'm jealous of whoever was in that restaurant at the time.

@imalittleteapot hi again! It's good to see you here, and thanks for asking about me. TBH, I have mixed feelings. Still thrilled that I got that experience...I almost can't believe that happened to me, but I miss him now in a way I've never felt before, and that makes me a little sad.

I hope you get the opportunity to be at one of those venues where your CO will show up and surprise you...and I hope you get a big hug!! :hugs:

Hi everybody! It's been a while since I've been on here.  Was trying just avoid any CO related internet activity (including here) as it was then leading onto obsessive searching about her. Think I got that under control, hopefully I can separate this, because I do really like the feeling of connection with people in a similar situation.

So with that in mind, I totally get people's comments about not googling or constantly looking for news. In my case, I don't want to give her up totally, just avoid 2 hours of wasting time looking for pics, news, whatever...

It's weird, my obsessiveness kind of goes in cycles, stronger then weaker, but even the weaker cycle, I'm still thinking of her multiple times a day, but more as a mental reflex, a comforting thought. It's like comfort food for the brain - you don't want to binge too often!

As for the age thing, I'm another one who definitely isn't in the "teen crush" demographic, and my CO's quite a bit older than me!

Audrey822, thrilled to hear you met him after so long and that it was a great experience!

On 4/30/2017 at 2:21 PM, Audrey822 said:

I'm not one to say that the obsession with my CO has ruined my life....just the opposite; my CO and the fantasies that have played out in my head have made my life infinitely better.  I don't know who I would be without that going on.  

Having said that, you are very lucky that you're not clinically depressed.  I am...I think others in this thread may also be.  I came apart at the seams when I learned some devastating information about my CO in September of 2013 -- the pain that resulted from that is what brought me to this board, and I go to great lengths to keep myself from stumbling upon things like that about him again.   In a rational moment I can accept that he has his own life, but I don't want to know about everything that might mean.  It's wonderful that you can give yourself one day to get over a certain thing you might learn about Reina; it's been over 3-1/2 years since I learned The Information that caused me to be here, and I'm still not over it completely.  It has to be ignored; the other people involved (besides my CO) do not exist in my mind.   I realize all this might make me sound crazy.  That's OK.  I can accept crazy; accepting undesirable things about my CO is impossible. 

I might have to start ignoring undesirable things about my CO too. I mean, I try to, but other fans keep bringing it up. Right now, there's gossip that he's seeing someone and they won't shut up about it even though the "evidence" is questionable. It really shouldn't matter to me whether he's seeing someone or not. If I think he's so great then of course other women can see that too, and I can't expect him to never date. Even if he's not seeing this particular woman, at some point he's going to be seeing someone and I'll have to just accept it.

In other news, I've scheduled my first ever therapy appointment for later this month and I'm probably long overdue for it! lol I've decided to see a therapist about an issue I've been dealing with for a long time that's not really related to my CO, but I probably use my CO as a way to cope with it. So I'm wondering if I should bring the whole CO thing up. I have numerous issues, so I'm not sure if I should start with the BIG issue or something smaller. :)

Edited by HopelessRomantic2011
(Edited because I had to reschedule the appt for later this month)

Hi @SeSa...good to see you again! 

@HopelessRomantic2011....other fans can be a PITA.  There's a huge thing I have to avoid coming soon, and other fans are going to be a major problem with regard to this.  Other fans just don't get what we're going through.  I've learned fan groups can also be a blessing and a curse...depending on your level of fandom.  If your level is "I'm in love with one of the members of the band" they can be a huge curse.  This has happened more than once...that fan group was the source of a link to one of the worst things that has ever happened... not long before that, I believed it was 100% safe.  I hope you have better luck avoiding or dealing with your CO's fans.  I also wish you well with your therapy appointment.  I don't regret mentioning my CO to my therapist, but I would recommend finding out if you feel you can trust the therapist first.  That didn't take long for me.  I was ready to discuss my CO in the second session.  

50 minutes ago, Audrey822 said:

@HopelessRomantic2011....other fans can be a PITA.  There's a huge thing I have to avoid coming soon, and other fans are going to be a major problem with regard to this.  Other fans just don't get what we're going through.  I've learned fan groups can also be a blessing and a curse...depending on your level of fandom.  If your level is "I'm in love with one of the members of the band" they can be a huge curse.  This has happened more than once...that fan group was the source of a link to one of the worst things that has ever happened... not long before that, I believed it was 100% safe.  I hope you have better luck avoiding or dealing with your CO's fans.  I also wish you well with your therapy appointment.  I don't regret mentioning my CO to my therapist, but I would recommend finding out if you feel you can trust the therapist first.  That didn't take long for me.  I was ready to discuss my CO in the second session.  

Thanks @Audrey822! I'm a little disappointed because the therapist who I wanted to see will be on maternity leave, so I'll be seeing one of her therapists in training instead. I'm just not sure how an inexperienced therapist will react to me. I imagine it'll be like a baptism by fire for this poor woman. lol But maybe I'm not quite as "abnormal" as I like to think. :)

My CO's fandom is nuts, but I really shouldn't complain too much about them since a lot of them are quite young. I would hope women my age wouldn't be online spreading rumors about him, but I could be wrong!

@HopelessRomantic2011...if my therapist was to be believed, what we do here is not unusual at all.  Without naming names (confidentiality and all that, of course) she mentioned this was not all that uncommon among her clients and that she had a few.  In the second session when I first brought it up, she even told me that one of her fellow therapists had a CO who is a NASCAR driver....but since then, I suspect she may have told me that just to put me at ease about the whole thing.  I forgive her for that; it worked. It really helped at the time, for me to think it was true....and maybe it is.   As we went along it didn't matter so much.  I eventually got better about talking about it. 

Having gone through this, I will give you some advice....(it took awhile for me to reach this place; I'm going to try to save you some time.)  Don't worry about a therapist's judgement of you.  You're paying the therapist for their time, not the other way around.  If a therapist is being judgmental of you in a way that makes you uncomfortable, it's time to find a new therapist.  If you feel the therapist isn't "getting" you, it's time to back things up and explain it again ... don't be shy about doing that.  Your therapist isn't a mind reader...you have to find your voice, take your time, and explain things properly  (I made the mistake of not doing this at least once to disastrous results.) You have nothing to be ashamed of.  If we were perfect people, we wouldn't need therapy, and a good therapist knows that. My therapist told me many things over and over....one of those things was "we're working toward your goals, not mine."  That's very important.  Make sure your therapist is working toward your goals, too.  

12 minutes ago, Audrey822 said:

@HopelessRomantic2011...if my therapist was to be believed, what we do here is not unusual at all.  Without naming names (confidentiality and all that, of course) she mentioned this was not all that uncommon among her clients and that she had a few.  In the second session when I first brought it up, she even told me that one of her fellow therapists had a CO who is a NASCAR driver....but since then, I suspect she may have told me that just to put me at ease about the whole thing.  I forgive her for that; it worked. It really helped at the time, for me to think it was true....and maybe it is.   As we went along it didn't matter so much.  I eventually got better about talking about it. 

Having gone through this, I will give you some advice....(it took awhile for me to reach this place; I'm going to try to save you some time.)  Don't worry about a therapist's judgement of you.  You're paying the therapist for their time, not the other way around.  If a therapist is being judgmental of you in a way that makes you uncomfortable, it's time to find a new therapist.  If you feel the therapist isn't "getting" you, it's time to back things up and explain it again ... don't be shy about doing that.  Your therapist isn't a mind reader...you have to find your voice, take your time, and explain things properly  (I made the mistake of not doing this at least once to disastrous results.) You have nothing to be ashamed of.  If we were perfect people, we wouldn't need therapy, and a good therapist knows that. My therapist told me many things over and over....one of those things was "we're working toward your goals, not mine."  That's very important.  Make sure your therapist is working toward your goals, too.  

Thanks, @Audrey822, that makes sense. I know having a CO isn't that uncommon. I'm more worried about discussing other issues with her. I'm not really worried about being judged, but I'm just concerned that she may not have experience dealing with my particular issues and may be unsure how to proceed. I guess I'll find out though. :)

1 hour ago, HopelessRomantic2011 said:

Thanks, @Audrey822, that makes sense. I know having a CO isn't that uncommon. I'm more worried about discussing other issues with her. I'm not really worried about being judged, but I'm just concerned that she may not have experience dealing with my particular issues and may be unsure how to proceed. I guess I'll find out though. :)

A lot of the advice I'm giving you above isn't limited to discussing COs with your therapist...it could apply to any issue.  The point is, make sure that you're in control of your own therapy, and make sure you're always on the right track to accomplish your goals.  If you feel you're getting off-track, don't be afraid to speak up.  I'm sure you'll do just fine...the problem for me was, a lot of my sessions were about my CO, and I hadn't spoken face-to-face with anyone about him in 47+ years prior to speaking to my therapist.  I was a bundle of anxiety, and got confused many times.   When things went awry, it was more my fault than my therapist's.  

On 5/6/2017 at 4:13 PM, Audrey822 said:

I said this yesterday....you're not the only one over 50 (60 in my case) who doesn't want to get rid of a CO...I enjoy mine as well.  I agree that cutting off from social media is what needs to be done if someone really wants to let go.  If it's necessary to continue peeking, maybe they're not as ready to let go as they say they are.  That's OK...but they have to be honest with themselves about what they really want.  In my opinion, there's no shame in peeking if they're getting pleasure from it and it's not hurting anyone.  

Here's why I try not to get upset with Reina. Years ago I had a crush or obsession with a girl at school. It was either her or nothing. I pretty much ruined my last year and half of school. This girl wasn't in my social circle, I never even had her in a class of mine. In fact, I never said a word to her. I was insanely obsessed with her. I spent many days and nights locked in my bedroom pouting and whining over her.  I even had a chance to date a few nice girls, but no. They weren't my crush, so I didn't pursue them.  Those days were completely ruined by the way I thought of that girl. 

Another girl who was in my social group I wanted to date. She said "no". I should have just forgotten  her, but I become obsessive.  My nickname for her was stress. I ended up cutting my wrist. I was drinking a lot then and just went off the deep end. 

And finally, the last one. At a place where I worked there was this girl I liked. I just went nuts over her, but it wasn't in the cards to go out with her. So I started to drink a lot, my temper got out of control and I finally was fired. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. 

I moved out of town, got a job which grew into a good one.  Quit drinking, 18 years now.  After all these years I have a crush again, which of course is Reina.  So instead of losing my mind and ruining my life over Reina, I'm just going to enjoy her.  I've experienced pain from past crushes and I never want to do that again. And the other thing about Reina, she can be a wonderful barrier between women I meet in real life, in a good way. For example. There's a young lady at work who I kind of like.  She's too young for me to pursue. So instead of focusing on her and making myself depressed, I focus on Reina.  Reina in her own way, takes me by the hand and protects me from  going nuts over another girl. If I focused on the young lady I work with, it wouldn't go well.  With Reina watching over, I actually enjoy having a quick chat or just saying hi to the young lady.  If she asked me out, I would be happy, but I'm not counting on it, so I focus on Reina, I'm happy. That's all the matters to me.  

I wish I had my Reina years ago. Life would've turned out better. 

19 hours ago, Audrey822 said:

Could not agree more with this about fandoms. It's the other fans I need to stay away from more than anything. I am a member of a couple of fan groups on Facebook but the mods there are v strict on no talking about their personal life so it's mainly just discussing going to shows and sharing pictures of the 4 of them. I tend to not get too involved in them and should they worsen, I know I can cut them out without problem. 

I haven't been on for a while because things are just fine with me. I'm just going along in love with my CO and getting on with my life - no drama regarding him right now so it's all good. I hope everyone else is too and that those of you in pain can find some help or relief from it. This morning they released tickets for their shows over here later this year and I am very happy to say we got tickets again. Definitely won't be meeting him again, sadly they are no longer doing that, but I will be there, seeing him in the flesh and that will do for now. 

2 hours ago, perfectcircle77 said:

I haven't been on for a while because things are just fine with me. I'm just going along in love with my CO and getting on with my life - no drama regarding him right now so it's all good. I hope everyone else is too and that those of you in pain can find some help or relief from it. This morning they released tickets for their shows over here later this year and I am very happy to say we got tickets again. Definitely won't be meeting him again, sadly they are no longer doing that, but I will be there, seeing him in the flesh and that will do for now. 

I'm happy to hear you'll be going again!  I hope you have an amazing time seeing him again.  :hugs:

Yesterday I was able to watch my CO in his play in the cinema in a live broadcast from the theatre and I don't think I've felt happiest in a really long time. 

I thought he was absolutely brilliant in it. I think I spent 95% of the time smiling at the screen. 

For the first time in ages though, I actually felt normal (away from all my anxiety and worries) and I just felt happy and really relaxed. I don't know if it was because I was out of my house for the first time in a while but I'm sure that my CO was a huge reason to actually feeling that way for that hour and a half or whatever it was. 

I actually miss the show so much. Didn't think I would but I really just want to see it all over again but sadly that was just a one off (apart from a few encore screenings which I no longer have the money for. And I also don't have the money to actually see it in the actual theatre). 

I also didn't think it'll be possible to love my CO anymore but it appears I was wrong because I'm more in love with him than I was this time yesterday. This CO seems to give me a lot larger feelings than any I've had before. I really don't know why. But he just makes me so incredibly happy. ?

Edited by SophieViolet95

This is a serious problem for me. I'm so obsessed and attached to this celebrity, they're all I think about 24/7. I constantly check up on what they're doing and what people are saying about them. If something bad happens in their career or life or people say anything bad about them it's like it hurts me personally too. I really wish I could stop myself from caring about them and thinking about them because this is not healthy.