Celebrity Obsession - Help or Support

2 minutes ago, perfectcircle77 said:

I honestly feel like I'm on edge waiting for this. We're quite happy to tease and joke with each other and certainly in the past, with crushes I've had, that I've been quite open about, he's been happy to make light of it. 

What exactly are you on edge about with it?  The two of you have made jokes about these things in the past...I get this one is probably different.  Are you afraid that will show?   Are you afraid you'll take it more personally?

45 minutes ago, Audrey822 said:

What exactly are you on edge about with it?  The two of you have made jokes about these things in the past...I get this one is probably different.  Are you afraid that will show?   Are you afraid you'll take it more personally?

Yeah, I think I am afraid it will show - him just noticing the photos made me blush and I would definitely do so again. 

I probably would take this differently, this one feels different to the other ones. I don't know, I guess I just don't want to really talk about it with him. I can watch the tv programmes and discuss those with him but this isn't something I want to discuss with him at all. I'm probably worrying over nothing, am sure he has already forgotten it. I am just obsessing over it in my mind. 

i don't know why but reading through the replies here has made me sad and my paranoia go nuts...reading that so many people here have husbands/wives but they fantasize a love/sex life with someone else...never had a girlfriend, but if i'd find the love of my life and i would find out that she has a celebrity crush with whom she would do so many things, i would probably be emotionally torn :( .

Onto the subject at hand: i used to have a celebrity obsession when i was 13 years old i think...it was with an actress from a teenager tv show... i fell so hard i couldn't go one day without checking her myspace account back then (myspaceeee, the old days)...i liked her so much that i developed an obsession with her country as well...i even taught my classmates the country's lesson when it was it's turn/chapter during the geography class...i had maps with it, a full folder with pics of that country, music from bands from that country...it was obsession in it's purest form, both with the country and the girl. It goes without saying that i had pics on my phone with her, dreams almost every week with her/her country and daydreams all day long/everyday. I don't think i ever had such a huge infatuation on anyone to this day...it was so big i had crying episodes because of how hightened my emotions were... now that i look at her, i don't feel anything...as if i never had something going for her...but i still have love that remained for her country and it has developed into a dream that one day i will go there and experience what the country has to offer.

Edited by Throwaway

46 minutes ago, Throwaway said:

i don't know why but reading through the replies here has made me sad and my paranoia go nuts...reading that so many people here have husbands/wives but they fantasize a love/sex life with someone else...never had a girlfriend, but if i'd find the love of my life and i would find out that she has a celebrity crush with whom she would do so many things, i would probably be emotionally torn :( .

I won't speak for anyone but myself...but since I might be the most outspoken married person here who is unapologetic about these fantasies (and outright stated that I would sneak out the back door and leave with my CO if he miraculously showed up) let me remind you that my marriage is not normal (I've also said it might be hours before anyone would realize I'm gone....maybe when the Call of Duty game ends and he's hungry, but that's about it.)  If you're a good husband to your wife, if you do everything you're supposed to do, I doubt she would be tempted to act on anything outside of your marriage.  That said, most men continue to have fantasies even after they're married -- it doesn't mean they'd act on anything either. ?

1 hour ago, perfectcircle77 said:

Yeah, I think I am afraid it will show - him just noticing the photos made me blush and I would definitely do so again. 

I probably would take this differently, this one feels different to the other ones. I don't know, I guess I just don't want to really talk about it with him. I can watch the tv programmes and discuss those with him but this isn't something I want to discuss with him at all. I'm probably worrying over nothing, am sure he has already forgotten it. I am just obsessing over it in my mind. 

I understand that.  Completely. 

@perfectcircle77 Sometimes men don't see things quite like we do (obviously, lol), so maybe your husband just didn't think anything of the photos, especially if he thinks you have a bit of a crush on someone else. But prepare for a sneak attack later, just in case. ?

@Audrey822 It sounds like your husband would probably react basically the same way my fiance would.  I don't really keep photos of my CO on my phone or anything unless it's a screenshot of something amusing that he posted and I plan on sharing with my fiance. I don't know if he'd automatically assume that I had a thing for him if he did see photos on my phone, but I certainly think he'd tease me a little whether he suspected anything or not. I can't blame him, though. He knows that I've had lots of CO's, so I think a couple jokes are a small price to pay. He's never cruel about it, so I don't really mind.   

Does anyone in a serious real-life relationship ever find themselves insulting their CO at times just to try to keep your partner from getting suspicious about things? Since my fiance and I both watch my CO's show and I occasionally get carried away and talk a little too much about him, I sometimes throw in a little insult about something silly and irrelevant so that maybe my fiance will think that I'm just interested in the show and maybe even a little annoyed by my CO. You know... Because that seems completely rational. Not. 

34 minutes ago, dazedandconfused1 said:

Does anyone in a serious real-life relationship ever find themselves insulting their CO at times just to try to keep your partner from getting suspicious about things? Since my fiance and I both watch my CO's show and I occasionally get carried away and talk a little too much about him, I sometimes throw in a little insult about something silly and irrelevant so that maybe my fiance will think that I'm just interested in the show and maybe even a little annoyed by my CO. You know... Because that seems completely rational. Not. 

Oh yes. When we watch my CO's show, I do make fun of him and try and talk about the others as much if not more as a deflection. 

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused1 said:

My CO is a singer, and no....I don't call attention to my CO at all.  I never have.  I just let the music play.?? ?❤️My husband may wonder why I favor that particular band member's songs over the others, if he pays attention to what I'm listening to at all (doubtful.)  I doubt my husband could tell the difference between my CO's band and EWF, which is laughable, really....one is 60s sunshine pop music and the other is 70s R&B.  My husband pretty much only knows video games.  He's clueless about music.  

I'm another one who's made fun of my CO in front of my family as a deflection! Especially at the start of the obsession, when my sister still lived at home, she and I used to often have jokey conversations about whichever celebrities were on TV. On the occasions where my CO came up in conversation, I admit to having made a few jokes at his expense (ones I know he himself would not have found funny). I feel a bit bad about that but I'd do pretty much anything to hide my obsession from people I know. My family know that I like him as a sportsperson and embarrassingly for me I think they've probably realised I have a crush on him. But the good news is I'm fairly sure they don't know I'm obsessed with him. And I hope they never find out!!

For that reason, I don't keep any pictures of him on my phone or computer, and I delete most of my internet history. I only "own" two photos of him - one is a picture I took when I saw him this summer, the other is a photocopy of a textbook page that I stole from school at the start of the obsession. (Yes, I actually had to study my CO in school... That was an embarrassing and awkward experience to say the least). However, there is a woman on twitter who posts several photos of him every night. Thanks to her, I don't have to take the risk of keeping pictures myself!

Oh, you know....this is so much not a big deal I wasn't even thinking about it.  A few weeks ago, I remember telling you guys there's a baseball player on my team (the Cubs) who I think is kinda nice-looking, in spite of the fact that he's young enough to be my son (so?? always just looking!! ?)  I've made no secret about that every time he comes up to bat (and I can put his name up here -- Kris Bryant -- because he's not really a CO and he's getting so popular, this thread may show up on page 4,000 if it shows up at all in a Google search! LOL) As I said when I posted it a few weeks ago, and I remind my husband and son of this too -- if men can look at women half their age, I see no reason why I can't enjoy looking at Kris.  The same rules should apply for women, right? Obviously, nothing will come of it....and given the choice between Kris and my CO, it would be no contest.  Kris would lose. 

@Audrey822 *waves hand*  All is okay, I've just been busier than usual the last couple days and haven't had much to contribute. Thank you for thinking of me :hugs: I've been keeping up with everyone's posts though!

I have a sort of funny (and embarassing) story about someone kind of finding out about my CO. Last year, I did some volunteer work for a charity. It should be said first that the woman who was like my "boss" at the time was not really the most pleasant person. She had a weird sense of humour - she liked to tease me and others, but you could never really tell if she was being serious or not. Anyway, long story short...she sent me an e-mail one day and demanded that I open it up in front of her on one of their computers (it's hard to explain why she asked me to do that, so I won't lol). At this point in time, I had a Google alert set for my CO. You see where this is going. I couldn't believe that she was forcing me to pull up my inbox in front of her where my CO's name was written over and over again from all those daily alerts! She didn't say anything specific about my CO, but she did say (in a joking manner): "Posie Riot, I'm concerned for you..." Now, it's quite possible that she was referring to something else that had to do with the e-mail she sent...but I'll never know for sure. Either way, she must have seen the alerts. Who knows what she thought of me after that. I cringe whenever I think about it. 

In other news, I'm really starting to panic now about...the child. There's a very good chance that it is, or is about to be, out of the womb. I don't know why this is bothering me as much as it is, but I hate not knowing. I hate the fact that one of these days I'm going to come across something and I don't know what that something will be. I also feel so ridiculous for feeling this way.  There are pros and cons to banning myself from seeing anything CO-related. The biggest con is that I've now become hyper-sensitive to any new information. Just a new photo of him can send me into a spiral. What's going to happen when I see something about the baby? :sadwalk: I don't know how to prepare for this. Even the recent news about a particular pop star and a particular Victoria's Secret model having a baby made me feel all weird and uncomfortable. I can still hardly believe that this whole situation with my CO is even real. I can still barely process it. 

I understand all about those triggers, @posie_riot.  They're brutal and relentless.  It's been over 3 years now, and I still can't allow myself to face certain things that have absolutely anything to do with someone my CO was *um* involved with....and when I say anything, I mean it.  I've taken triggers to the extreme, but I'm hypersensitive where he's concerned (no! who would ever have guessed!!) 

I still haven't received that poster.  I'm itching to get that closure.  I take my scissors and a box of matches to the mailbox with me every day, hoping it will be the day I get to have a massacre on a piece of paper that will (strangely) bring me happiness.  Maybe tomorrow.

Oh, wow....I know how you must have felt opening that email...and especially after the comment the woman made. And, of course, you may be right...she may not have been referring to those alerts at all, but in your shoes I would have felt so exposed!  That just wasn't right.  You need a hug. :hugs:

4 minutes ago, Audrey822 said:

I take my scissors and a box of matches to the mailbox with me every day, hoping it will be the day I get to have a massacre on a piece of paper that will (strangely) bring me happiness.  

^ This is one of the best things I've read on this thread! 

Thank you for the hug. That woman was a strange one. Not that I'm in a position to say that about anyone :rolleyes: 

I feel like such a nutcase over this pregnancy. Babies and pregnancy are supposed to be happy things. I'm sill being triggered by Pampers commercials! Here's another strange new trigger - I 'liked' a photo on Pinterest recently of a woman who was modelling a hair style I thought was cute. The woman resembles my CO's fiancée quite a bit, but I didn't notice that when I 'liked' the photo. I think I was paying too much attention to just the hair style at first. Now every time I see that photo, I think of my CO's fiancée. I somewhat regret 'liking' the photo but I refuse to unlike it.  I'm not going to give in to this one. I think about that woman all the time anyway so there's not much point. 

@posie_riot I don't think you're a nutcase.  It would affect me the exact same way if I were in your place.  I can't believe what's happened to me in the past 3 years since learning about those two women...and a couple of other women who came later, too.  I didn't know what "triggering" was until that moment when I absorbed all that information about them....all of a sudden I had names to avoid, there are songs to avoid (because #1, I learned, sang background on two of the band's recordings) a store in the  mall to avoid (because a possible current GF is the manager of the store where she lives) and an entire state and its culture to avoid (where he lived with #2).  The thing that really annoys me about the state for the past 3 years....this is one of those things that could only happen to me, and you can't make it up....the event that began the U.S. involvement in WWII was an attack by Japan on a naval military base in this state on the date of my birthday (14 years before I was born) ....every year ON my birthday, there are memorials (of course) commemorating the event of that day in 1941.   I know it's something that has to happen -- those people should be remembered, of course.  But in light of this trigger I now have, that this has to occur ON MY BIRTHDAY going forward is just cruel.  

@Audrey822 That's rough :(  It's so hard to explain too, unless you've been through it. I don't think anything embarrasses me more than my triggers. I just feel like the average person would find me so pathetic. I even feel uncomfortable talking about them here on this thread, but I know I'm not alone with them. I don't judge you, Audrey, the way I judge myself. Not at all. Funny how that always seems to be the case. We're always our own worst critics. 

@posie_riot My CO's wife is actually pregnant with twins right now, so I can relate a little. I'm not really bothered by it so much, I'm just not a huge fan of his wife. It's not a jealousy thing, I just don't agree with a lot of her opinions on things and she always plays really slutty characters (she's an actress as well) and it doesn't make her particularly likable in my eyes. But they have one adorable daughter together, so I'm sure the new babies will be no different. ? I applaud you for cutting yourself off from any news of your CO because I'm not sure I could do that right now. It seems like my obsession is getting more intense every day.

@posie_riot Nah you're not a nutcase, or if you are we all are. I'm about to write something (next post or whenever I manage to get my own situation right now into words) that will probably make me sound like the biggest nutcase of all. Arrrgh I've encountered people like her before. Do your other colleagues ever complain about her? She probably forgot what she saw on your screen the moment she turned away, if she even saw anything.

We are so obsessed with these things (naturally, because they concern our obsessions) that we lose a sense of perspective over how little other people care. If you aren't looking for a celebrity's name on someone's computer, you don't even think about celebrity crushes and your mind is focused on some stupid e-mail that you've sent instead. If she has a reputation for being a Biotch then I guess that's her obsession huh. She's too busy thinking about the next way she'll victimize someone. She should be more embarrassed that she is who she is, no doubt subject to much hatred and backchat, than you should for something that your own business.

This reminds me of an embarrassing incident that happened in a hostel. When you travel you end up exchanging contact details so often and a common way of doing that is "hey - here's my phone, can you type your name into my facebook so I can add you?". I always try to find ways of avoiding this because as soon as you type anything in my facebook you can probably guess what comes up. My CO's own page, her fan page, her band's page and normally about 3 other pages obviously connected to her. One time this lead to a weird argument. Another backpacker was getting baffled and frustrated that I wouldn't let her enter her name in my fb. I'd say something like 
Me: "it's ok. It's just easier if I type your name down"
Her: "but why? surely it's easier if you let me type my name?"
Me: "I just find it easier personally"
Her: "but why?! That doesn't make sense?!"
Mr: "don't worry. It's spelt xxxxxxx isn't it?"
Her: "no my name's hard to spell! you're acting very oddly! Are you hiding something?"
Can't remember the exact conversation. Something along those lines!

Anyway, anecdotes of me being weird and awkward aside:
You're imagination is probably going into overdrive w.r.t. the pregnancy and seeing a random photo probably fuels that. I don't know if hearing something more concrete would necessarily be worse. At least its not left up to your imagination. I mean I don't know your mind, and how it operates regarding obsessions. I barely understand my own. Only you know. But maybe it is the time to give yourself at least some control back of what you see and when. Maybe complete avoidance is not the best policy. You've avoided him for how long now? Has it helped?

@SophieViolet95 Congratulations in getting yourself some classes! How are they going? And it may not be CO related but I've reached the conclusion that any attempt to get control over an obsession through willpower alone is futile. Having something fulfilling beyond your CO is a much better way.

And as for that photo - it is nice when a CO, usually someone who, for me anyway, halts any attempt at life or productivity, actually gives us a nice positive message instead! I've mentioned once or twice nice positive messages about creativity from my CO. Of course they don't work when my mind is so full of her I can't do anything else ARRRGH!

On 9/19/2016 at 6:57 PM, nothingatall7777 said:

@mysteryname I post here because I can't be discovered. Things are going good with my fiancee but she thinks I am making more progress than I actually am. You pretty much hit the nail on the head when you asked if I want my day with her so I can get back to my life here. Yes. If I had nothing tying me down, id already be over there trying for Mila. And id like to think id have her. But, I can't get her out of my system to enjoy my life here and things make me too jealous and hurt for me to even indulge in my obsession anymore so I just crave. And crave. And try to tell myself that one day shell know me so I can make it through the day.

Of course there are ways of interacting with a celebrity. What would be enough? Meeting her at a meet and greet and have her sign something or having her reply to a comment you make online? I know that probably isn't what your wanting but maybe it would get her out of your system. What does your fiancee think of this - does she believe that having some small interaction with Mila would bring an end to this so you can just go back to your life with your Fiancee as a happy, obsession free man with eyes only for her or would she see any sort of interaction with Mila as a thread? What do you really believe for that matter - you sure some small interaction with Mila would bring it to an end or does some part of you think it might be a bad idea? Is there any other way you think you could possibly get your life back?

5 hours ago, posie_riot said:

I feel like such a nutcase over this pregnancy. Babies and pregnancy are supposed to be happy things. I'm sill being triggered by Pampers commercials! Here's another strange new trigger - I 'liked' a photo on Pinterest recently of a woman who was modelling a hair style I thought was cute. The woman resembles my CO's fiancée quite a bit, but I didn't notice that when I 'liked' the photo. I think I was paying too much attention to just the hair style at first. Now every time I see that photo, I think of my CO's fiancée. I somewhat regret 'liking' the photo but I refuse to unlike it.  I'm not going to give in to this one. I think about that woman all the time anyway so there's not much point. 

I don't think you're a nutcase at all, I can imagine being the same if it was my CO. :hugs:

With triggers, I think it's the strange ones that get me the most - like I feel I'm meant to get upset about seeing him with (now ex) girlfriends or when he describes his relationship status as not married - but I get upset by things that aren't really related to him - for example the song Hey There Delilah. No idea why it does, it just always makes me think of him and makes me sad. It's weird.

@SophieViolet95 - I hope Monday went well

@dazedandconfused1 - I think you were right. We have discussed my CO since - am hoping to get tickets to their show when they go on sale later today and I mentioned that meet & greet tickets would be nice as it's my 40th birthday 2 weeks after the show. (I'm not actually sure if it would be nice, jury's still out on that one but the rational part of me says it would be great to meet him & if I was with my husband I'm less likely to completely embarrass myself and need removing by security) He's had plenty of opportunity to bring it up again and tease me but hasn't. I am obsessing over nothing, which pretty much sums me up. 

ARRRRGH rant time. Horrible week. Week that has thrown my mind upside down. I've lost all progress I made on concentration and the thought of getting my life back seems more impossible than ever largely because this week has delivered the most enormous, impossible to handle event in the history of my obsession.

A few days a new small TV show she'd starred in premiered on netflix. Obviously I watched it but I had no idea what I was in for. I'll get straight to the point: this show was, completely out of the blue, the first time she has ever got naked on camera. She jumped right in at the deep end too, it was the exact opposite of just being a brief glimpse! The point of this post is not how I reacted to seeing that scene itself - you can probably work out that out for yourselves!!

I logged straight into reddit after watching the episode, expecting to see her own little pervy fan group losing its and a few other places mentioning it. What I actually saw hit me like a ton of bricks:

She was completely dominating every single pervy, celebrity related corner of reddit! In a few hours she had gone from being a relatively obscure, occasionally mentioned quirky little bit of comic relief or "unconventional crush" into being the single, number one, most crushed upon and perved over celebrity on the whole of reddit!!! I'd long been in denial for ages about how many guys had a crush on her and now they all came out the woodwork and their numbers swelled. She was the last person anyone expected to do this and reddit, clearly always full of her secret admirers, was going mental! (reddit is huge btw - what reddit thinks I take as meaning what a good proportion of my generation thinks - at least the geekier parts). I became uncontrollably obsessed with how popular she was. All hope of thinking of anything else or productivity completely vanished and instead the rest of the day was lost searching every corner of reddit, obsessed with somehow finding something counter to what I was seeing infront of me. Something to reassure me that none of it was true and she was still my quirky pretty funny nerd girl who I could actually fantasise about being with rather than the obsession of half the friggen internet. 

I eventually tore myself away to bed crazy late (not uncommon though) and couldn't sleep. I moved from obsessing with how popular she became to obsessing over the fact that I cared so much! The thing is - we have all felt that celebrity obsessions would be seen as weird to others. Even more so if you're a guy. But at least they follow the basic pattern that many are familiar - the celebrity crush - its just that they are a bit stronger. Looking at photos of them, fantasising about being with them, jealousy of their boyfriends and girlfriends. That is normal. A bit over intense with us. But normal. But WHAT THE HELL is being obsessed with how many guys like her?! That is inexplicable and weird because it's not like those guys have anything I don't - they won't be with her either. And I started to think about why I felt like this and the conclusions I reached revealed horrible things about me. That's the thing about having a CO for me - it reveals bad things about me. At a time in my life when I am at rock bottom and that's the last thing I need. Do I have some weird hipster fascination with my celebrity crush being different? Had I been subconsciously insulting her - seeing her as an "accessible" crush, seeing her as some sort of lower "rank" in some sense to the big name obvious hollywood beauties? And now her new found popularity was challenging this? What a reflection of how pathetic and low my self esteem is if that really is the case - so low that it affects my fantasies. I'm basically like a TV character - a walking stereotype of the pitiful spineless wimpy self loathing guy.

Anyway - all these thoughts floating round my head led to a decision. TODAY IT ENDS! This turning point in her life would be a turning point in mine. I cannot live like this. It cannot go on. So it won't. I spent hours telling myself she is not what I think she is. Trying to convince myself I never really liked her, tried to think about things I didn't like about her and, most of all, told myself the sweet dorky girl image could not be true as she's much bigger celebrity than I wanted to admit. She is legitimately a celebrity. She is in a different world to me. We hear about how celebrities live different lives and I convinced myself that she's a minor enough celebrity so that I could think about relating to her, connecting with her. Now I wanted rid of her more than ever I tried to remind myself there's a lot less gap between her and the Brad Pitt's and Justin Bieber's of the world than I pretend. She lives in a different world despite how down to earth everything she seems. It's an illusion. She still causes excitement wherever she goes, goes in big TV shows, VIP entrance, glamorous parties, 1%er can afford most of what she wants, non stop life etc. etc. - I'm nothing. I couldn't relate to her. I'm just demeaning myself even more than I'm already degraded. So it has to end and I have to go back to focussing on my own life. No more reddit. No sites related to her, no planning on visiting her or watching things she's in.

None of this worked. Obsession still there and what's worse, ridiculous obsession with determining how popular she is getting stronger. Spent hours on friggen GOOGLE TRENDS! What a weird site to spend hours on. Comparing her to every obvious hollywood beauty I could think of, hoping not to see the trend I saw - all these obvious hollywood beauties were more searched for than her most of the time but suddenly, when that TV show appeared, her popularity spiked to the stratosphere - more than her popularity has ever spiked before - overtaking many of the obvious hollywood beauties.

All this lead to me wasting so much time over the few days that I pretty much gave up even trying to be productive after that. 

The thing about CO for me, as I mentioned briefly in a previous post, is that there's no point even trying to force it out my brain unless I've got something I actually care about to think of instead. The problem isn't her. The problem is that I have absolutely in my life to replace her. You can't remove one part of my brain and put nothing back to replace it. It creates a vacuum. I've sort of given up with jobs. Given up dreams. Reached the conclusion I'll never get this game written. Tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny nothing pieces of code take days like trying to remove a beach one grain of sand at a time and its made me pretty much give up. I'm applying for teaching. This is a disaster. I don't want to teach. But it's the only actual thing I can apply for. I've got volunteering abroad arranged for a few months in a while. I'm doing something. Earthquake relief providing free board and lodging so it gets me away from my parents without needing to burn through my savings as much as just backpacking. Gets me out the house. I guess until then and after then browsing my web non stop is my fate. I have less will power than anyone else on earth. Why did I think that I could actually connect with a beautiful amazing celebrity just because she seemed more accessible when I wouldn't be worth looking at for even the lowest most pathetic woman on earth right now?! Arrrgh

Sorry I know its getting ridiculous how I vanish and then resurface to write these incomprehensible mega rants.