How To Get Motivated To Take A Shower.

PeacePilgrim

To Teafreak re Raw Food Diet

Hi PeacePilgrim. I've read all the way down and have really been rooting for ya, reading of your successes and have read lots of great suggestions given and saw a lot of people really relate with you on needing to, but not bathing. .......

In reading your documentations I was curious about the raw food diet, and wondered if you still follow it, and if it continued to help.

I just remembered that you had one more question: about the raw food diet, which I implemented to try to help the degenerative arthritis. I lost 2 of my supports for the raw diet: a personal raw chef and a raw food support group, and I partially fell off it, but not entirely. I still have greenie+fruit smoothies and salads and fruit and vegetable drinks as a significant portion of my diet, and I have stayed gluten-free, at the suggestion of my naturopath. But I have added back in cooked potatoes and squash, and steamed brown rice with steamed veggies and chicken for a portion of my meals. I really would like to study up a bit more on alkaline vs acidic diet: the alkaline diet is supposed to be better for inflammation. I do faithfully take cherry juice for my gout every day. Hope that helps; I can't remember exactly what i wrote previously, and am too tired to search for it now.

Thanks for your interest, Peace

PeacePilgrim,

thanks for your words of strength I really appreciate it and it touches my heart.

I have a social worker that comes out to see me and I do tell her stuff but feel ashamed to admit to all the stuff I can't do or have trouble doing. I shouldn't feel that way I guess it's the depression. I'll try and be open next time with her. I feel overwhelmed by everything and am already getting anxious about washing again...

Thanks again Peace and all the best to you too xx

I am so grateful that I have a home, and indoor plumbing facilities.

There have been times when there were water problems and I was unable to shower due to that, and I need to remember that at any time that could happen again, and not take the available resource for granted.

Theres nothing quite like feeling really icky and actually not being able to do much about it.

I am thankful for this thread and all the people who are motivating. I've been doing better since I found this site. I've had a shower every other day.

I desperately need to get clean yet I'm filled with dread. Anyone else get filled with dread?

I don't know how to get passed this :( I'm full of fear and isolated and over sleeping to avoid feeling like this.

I'm really down about this feel not in control

I've never personally felt that regarding bathing. Mine was more like a lethargy, putting it off, or fear only of being cold for a bit. Could you get a pan of warm water and take it to a room where you feel safe and bathe in there? What is it that you fear?

Hi Teafreak thanks for replying

For me it's lethargy and motivation too but I've slowly started to dread it too. I can't really explain it just the whole process it takes a long time and is a lot of work to get clean. sounds ridiculous. but I fear not being able to complete the process cos I get tired and lose my motivation

I hate being dirty and the bathroom feels cold dirty in fact everything feels dirty. it's not that bad it's just me I have a thing about it and the whole process of getting clean involves dealing with dirt and washing and cold and time it all takes forever...

I'm a really clean person so I don't understand myself.. it don't make sense. the crux of it is motivation and feeling overwhelmed and the whole vicious cycle has filled me with dread

I'm starting to feel disabled by it....

my bathroom used to be dirty but i spent a small amount of time every day in there until it got as clean as it could get. now all i have to do is a little spray and wipe and sweep daily. I can manage that, it only takes 2 minutes to do those 3 things.

I think those minor maintenance tasks have made a big difference. that and the new shower curtain i scored for a buck at the dollar store.

How long is forever for you? Maybe time yourself and see how long it really is. Maybe it just seems like a long time.

I'm just so tired so I'm battling motivation, anxiety and fatigue.... I have tried timing myself before that helps too. I need to wait until I get a motivation window desperate as I am to be clean.

Hi rebelgirl. I was reading at the beginning of the thread people who get in the shower and just let the water run on them for a minute. Maybe you could start with something like that. Set a timer for 60 sec and stand under the water, then be done with it for the day. Maybe in another day or two you could try that again. Sometimes the worst thing for me is just getting started and maybe that would help you to not dread it so much if you were able to do that little bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Ooops I set about liking Lots of your comments, peace pilgrim, then realised I was back in 2010, doh.

Anyway just wanted to say that I really excelled and had a shower and a bath today..... Cycled to work so needed a shower there and then having ridden 15 miles tonight, needed a bath when I got in.

• 4 weeks later...

2:11 AM EST 7/14/2014--I am going to take a stab at this before bedtime, to see if I can commit to getting a shower over the next 2 days. We'll see, posting the commitment has worked in the past. I checked to see and my last shower was 5/8/2014 at 1:30 AM,

so it's actually only a few days over 2 months....I actually feared it was much longer than that; maybe 3 or 4 months! Glad that it isn't quite that desperate.Again, I have no idea if this will do any good, but it has before. I did give myself a haircut today in preparation. Not too much else I can do!

I'm also finding it harder to bathe. Showers seem impossible but baths just about ok. I read today that struggling to do everyday tasks is a feature of depression which is where I'm at. I feel at a standstill I can't motivate myself to bathe get dressed so therefore feel more isolated. My partner has had to take over all the daily tasks and care for me. He's really good about it but I feel hopeless and useless.

I'm ashamed of myself I sleep I exist everything is overwhelming and finding it hard to bathe feels disabling and isolating as I stay in pyjamas and don't get dressed. I feel hesitant in posting this and being honest cos I will be judged. I already feel bad about myself... but hey I'll post to share and maybe someone else can relate.

Thought I'd chime in .Even before health problems set in my showers were low on my priority list so I would frequently procrastinate on them. Now I have trouble standing for the shower, getting in and out of the tub for either shower or bath, and getting up and down from taking a bath. Fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis have really limited my abilities to the point where I wish I had help even with the tasks of taking care of my personal care---but I am onmyown for everything.

Anyhow, this next part isn't to make anyone feel bad as I've been managing alright---actually takes less energy and causes less pain to do the old-fashioned personal care with a basin since I don't have running water right now. But, I thought maybe since I can't take a shower or a bath, though I'd really like to soak in epsom salts right now, perhaps doing it in my honor might be a motivator for even just one person once. If I could do it for you, I would! :D

Best wishes.

ETA---And you can bet when I have running water again I will figure out how to take a soak in honor of us all! :D

Edited by onmyown

i also, found this forum via google. i have had problems showering ever since i was a little kid. my mom would try and get me to take a bath and i would run around the house crying or screaming and refusing to get in the water.

as a 25 year old adult, i've always been deeply ashamed of my inability to complete normal everyday tasks. for some reason, i had never connected this to my major depression. i always assumed it was just laziness on my part. i work full time in a residential rehab and am completely exhausted and dead when i have a day off.

i also have always struggled with brushing my teeth. genetics didn't help much, but i ended up developing a horrible phobia of dental work after being told i'd need 20 fillings. i went back in this year after not going for 7, and the work required on my teeth was so extensive i couldn't even fathom how i was going to pay for it/how i could tolerate all the work. i have been going to the dentist every week for several months now and just had a tooth pulled. i've had three root canals and will need another one soon. after ALL OF THIS, it has actually made it even more difficult for me to brush and floss. i obsess over the plaque on my teeth and how it must look and how my teeth are yellow but i just hate myself and don't want to fix it. i figure, i'm going to end up loosing all my teeth. nothing will fix this.

i had been thinking for the last week that i would take a shower on monday (today.) i just moved into a new place and i'm very nervous that my roommate has noticed that i never run the shower. i was reading your posts and didn't see anybody mention this- but showers are difficult for me because they are the only place that i am completely alone with myself and have nothing to hide behind. no distractions, music helps a bit, but i still have to see my naked body. i hate the thoughts i have and the stress of my job and all the bills and how I'm not in school and blah blah blah.

another part of it is i HATE drying off. i'm a heavy girl and drying off feels like it takes forever. i cut all my hair off which has helped some, but i hate that feeling. i hate needing to put clothes on after and cannot put them on until i am completely dry. i also have OCD about putting on lotion and the feeling of my skin being dry after a shower makes me want to vomit.

i've just been put on new medication. my boyfriend thinks i'm doing well, but i actually feel less functional and ****ed up than before. i cried upon reading this thread and realizing i wasn't alone. i can't tell you the amount of shame and disgust i've had around this subject all my life.

Wow, you are all still here--a couple new people also, welcome! It's giving me quite a lift of spirit just before bed to see everyone "rallied" again.

Camellia, if the topic falls off the screen and you can't find it, here's how:

Top Right there's a search bar, but don't use that. There is a tiny white wheel to the right of the search bar and if you mouse over, you will see the words "Advanced Search". Click on the small wheel and it brings up a page-long search form with lots of different possible slots to fill in. You want to fill in just TWO: at the top, put in the search word "shower" and below where it says "Find Author", enter my handle of PeacePilgrim, then ignore everything else and hit the search button at the bottom. It should bring up the Shower Motivation Thread in first position and just click on that and you should be all set.

Good luck EVERYONE and thanks for the support. I haven't got my shower yet, but maybe tomorrow??? I will try.~Peace

I'm so tired and lethargic and can't motivate myself to have a bath :( or anything else. I look forward to one day not feeling like this. Like I'm dragging myself around. It's how my depression is manifesting itself. The medication I take is sedating too so it's a combination perhaps. I have an appointment tomorrow so I really should get bathed but can I do it ... Will have to somehow muster the energy.. sigh

Alarm buzzes. Morning. Again. Everything is heavy. The air in my room weighs down on me. I can't get up for almost two hours. Feels like I should go back to sleep to avoid the current pain, and the one that will come later today. I have to go to work. I am late already and not even close to get going. I need to take a shower. I didn't have one yesterday, neither the previous day. I haven't washed my hair in a week. I don't give a . Just thinking about washing it and drying it makes me tired. I want to go to bed. I want to lie on the floor. I want to crawl underneath the hardwood floor. I want to be forgotten. I have no ****ing reason to be so depressed. Many people in the world are much less lucky, and they are far more positive and happy to be alive. They fight, they strive for more, they run, they.... go forward.

Today I will go to work, but won't do much. I will mostly just sit there, paralyzed, feeling my oily dirty skin soil my clothes. Good thing is, I wear suits to the office so I don't have to wash them. Bad thing is, I should take the suits to the dry cleaner sometimes. I don't. It's one more thing to do. I can't commit to that. I really can't. Why the **** can't I pick the clothes on the floor, put them in a bag, and go to the dry cleaner's?

I used to love to look good. Would shop for hours to find clothes that made me look good. Now I couldn't care less about that. I feel bad about my body. I feel bad about myself for not being able to take good care of me. I live alone and far from my family so I can relatively hide the extent of that depression. When they call in the morning, I don't answer. When I finally speak to them, I tell them I was busy at the office. I wasn't. I was in my apartment, struggling to get myself out of the house, and lucky to still have a job.

Why can't I ****ing commit to a shower? Morning, evening... it's all the same. It feels like so much work. I am truly not worth the effort. Why depression is so seducing in trying to keep me in my bed? Why can't I even start by taking a shower. I remember how good it used to feel. Why did that go away?