Sign in to follow this  
Tovah

Anybody Ever Quit Ritalin And Get Depressed?

I was on ritalin for 2 years because of tiredness caused by Paxil. Long story but I had to go off the Paxil and I went manic, so had to go off the ritalin.

It's been 6 months without ritalin and I'm on Lexapro, Lithium, Valium (hope to go off that soon) and Zyprexa. I'm less depressed than a few months ago (I was suicidal) but I really, really miss the ritalin. The ritalin, I see now, made everything more interesting and exciting and put me into a hypomania for a couple of years.

Now without it I don't feel interested in anything, can't concentrate, and I feel sad. My doc won't put me back on ritalin because I already tried Provigil and started to go manic. So no way could I go on an amphetimine.

I am just wondering if I am alone in this.

I haven't taken Ritalin but I had a very similar experience with Adderal. They are both Stimulants and have similar effects. They both increase levels of Dopamine in the brain. After awhile I too was in a sort of manic state. When I stopped taking the adderall my energy, drive, and wellbeing hit an all time low.

I would not recommend stimulants as I fell they are not long term solutions and when they are discontinued they cause an inevitable crash.