Welcome To Depression Forums! Please Introduce Yourselves.....

Hello everyone. I'm currently struggling with a bad bout of depression. I have struggled with depression and anxiety all my life (I'm 43 now). Its so good to come on this board and know there are people who understand. Been prescibed flouxetine and been taking it for 8 days and feel crap. Hope it will work.

Hi,

My name is Bob. I am 55 and from Virginia, USA but live with my wife in Germany since almost ten years. Currently I suffer from severe depressions, missing motivation to do anything and being tired 24/7. I am retired because of chronic pain and have to take a powerful pain medication. I also have adrenal fatigue syndrome and diabetes since two years now. I only get up to take my medicine and insulin. I try to sleep to not get more depressed. I don't know how to get out of the circle. I have not left home alone since June 2006.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by iowa
triggering

Hi everyone

i am new here, but not new to depression. I have Just been put on a course of Sertraline by my doctor after having a terrible time with this most recent episode of depressive illness where i feel like i have been having a breakdown and losing my mind. I feel encouraged by some of what i have read here about this drug so i just hope that it helps me to get back my life.

i have had depression on and off for the past 15 years but its never been in the form of anxiety and panic. That started a year ago now.

i had never experienced anything so bad before. just the worst feelings

i went from being happy to be in my own company to a neurotic mess who just couldnt cope with being alone at all.

I have been on Seroxat, Prozac and Citalopram with varying degrees of success in the past but this most recent episode of my deteriorating mental health starting 18 months ago, hasnt responded to any thing. So my doc says we will try with sertraline . i am also on a low dose of diazapam as my social phobias are quite bad at the moment.

I hope i get well soon as my kids deserve to get their mum back and i am so upset with feeling upset all the time

Hi,

My name is Bob. I am 55 and from Virginia, USA but live with my wife in Germany since almost ten years. Currently I suffer from severe depressions, missing motivation to do anything and being tired 24/7. I am retired because of chronic pain and have to take a powerful pain medication. I also have adrenal fatigue syndrome and diabetes since two years now. I only get up to take my medicine and insulin. I try to sleep to not get more depressed. I don't know how to get out of the circle. I have not left home alone since June 2006.

Thanks for reading.

Hi BobinGermany and :shocked: to DF!

You certainly have many struggles with health issues, including depression. There is a forum here for people who have other heath issues also. You may find that helpful. It sounds like you may have anxiety also. Make yourself at home and look around DF for all the forums and other rooms. Information is given in pinned items toward the top of each forum and in many articles in the Portal.

You'll find many caring and supportive people here.

iowa

Edited by iowa

Hi everyone

i am new here, but not new to depression. I have Just been put on a course of Sertraline by my doctor after having a terrible time with this most recent episode of depressive illness where i feel like i have been having a breakdown and losing my mind. I feel encouraged by some of what i have read here about this drug so i just hope that it helps me to get back my life.

i have had depression on and off for the past 15 years but its never been in the form of anxiety and panic. That started a year ago now.

i went from being happy to be in my own company to a neurotic mess who just couldnt cope with being alone at all.

I have been on Seroxat, Prozac and Citalopram with varying degrees of success in the past but this most recent episode of my deteriorating mental health starting 18 months ago, hasnt responded to any thing. So my doc says we will try with sertraline . i am also on a low dose of diazapam as my social phobias are quite bad at the moment.

I hope i get well soon as my kids deserve to get their mum back and i am so upset with feeling upset all the time

Hi clementine2309 and :shocked: to DF!

I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling so much with your latest dark episode. I hope the Sertraline works well for you! You'll find people here who understand exactly what you're going through. Take a look around at the various forums here. There's one for Sertraline, Depression Central, Anxiety, and for Parent/Child (among the many others). Information is in the pinned items toward the top of each forum and in the Portal (very top tool bar). You'll find many caring and supportive people here.

iowa

Hi everyone

Hi clementine2309 and :shocked: to DF!

I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling so much with your latest dark episode. I hope the Sertraline works well for you! You'll find people here who understand exactly what you're going through. Take a look around at the various forums here. There's one for Sertraline, Depression Central, Anxiety, and for Parent/Child (among the many others). Information is in the pinned items toward the top of each forum and in the Portal (very top tool bar). You'll find many caring and supportive people here.

iowa

Hi Clementine2309

I do understand the feeling of losing one's mind. I have been experiencing these feelings also. I just started Sertraline (zoloft) and was very hesistant to try this medication.

I also have also struggled with various medications in the past, and because I was so fed up with forgetting things, and my lack of organization, I decided to try this medication again. I have only been taking the Zoloft for 2 days and have not felt the anxiety. I don't know if you log or document your moods, or feelings, but I have started to simply jot down what days I am panic/anxiety free. This way I keep track of the effects of my medication. I was told that sometimes people around me will notice a difference in my mood moreso than I.

So far this site has been very helpful. I wish I had more time to browse through, I do work alot and come home very tired. I have been making an effort to check the discussions. So welcome and know that you are not alone. 2ANGELES

hi. my name is celene and i'm brand new. i've had depression for a while, and have tried talking to my mom about it but its becoming a hassle and shes getting upset by it, and we don't have money for counseling, so i decided to try something else. i'm really shy until you get to know me so...

ask questions i guess. i'm an open book if you ask me.

Hi celene and Welcome to DF,

I know it's hard talking to parents sometimes when it comes to depression as many don't seem to understand it. I'm glad that you decided to try something on your own to try and help you through this. As we are not professionals we do have a lot of support, understanding and sharing community here at DF. Please make yourself at home and have a look around the forms.

I live in California, and am quite overwhelmed with significant events in my life that have been going on for awhile simultaneously.

My wife decided to get divorced over a year ago. We're separated and getting divorced. We were married 14-years and have four young children. I lost my job around the same time we got separated, and am struggling to either find a job or restart a business I used to have. My house is in foreclosure. We're trying to postpone it with a short-sale which would give us another few months. If the bank doesn't agree, we could be forced to move-out in 10-days or so. We don't have any money to rent a place or family to help. To compound matters, my wife wants to take the kids out of the country so her parents can help. That means if I don't make money soon, I could lose my kids, and they'll have to go through more trauma.

I've kept up my spirits and made progress in my business, but time may be running out. I'm feeling a strong sense of hopelessness now. Not sure what to do next or where to turn.

Thanks for listening.

Steve

Hi bettertimes and Welcome to DF,

You've had a lot to deal with lately which can bring on a lot of emotions and stress and yet you still have a lot in front of you to work on. I'm glad that you have come here to post and that takes a lot of courage. Please have a look around the forums and make yourself at home. We are here to listen and support all that we can. Feel free to post when you are ready.

Hello all,

Firstly, I want to say how appreciative I am of how supportive many people seem to be on this forum. I think it could be of great help to me.

I'm a 25 year old guy, living in London. I have a lot of things going for me, I guess: I have some great friends, I'm sporty, I front a rock band, I'm well educated, I'm told I'm not ugly (God, I sound like a nob), but all of those things began to mean absolutely nothing to me. Since adolescence I've had a persistent and shrill self-loathing voice in my head that tells me that I'm a hopeless waste of space. It killed my sense of ambition and motivation to do anything remotely productive. I had a decent job until the summer, when I resigned. I lied to them and said I was going travelling, but the truth is that I've just sat around for months watching the dirt pile up.

I had been thinking of suicide for a couple of years. It became my default daydream scenario. However, I was so demotivated that I don't think that I would have even been able to find the sense of commitment to fulfil that daydream. I think I hid it well from my friends and family, but I began to spend more and more time moping around alone, losing a lot of weight and not surfacing from my bedroom until the afternoon.

Recently, I decided that I'd had enough. It was getting scary. I went to the doctors and got the diagnosis: Clinical Depression. I can't remember feeling so relieved. I instantly felt that cynical monkey on my back getting lighter. All those years of blaming things that didn't deserve to be blamed for my sadness were over and now I knew what had to be defeated in order to get my life back.

So now it's been three weeks on 50mg Sertraline and things are looking up. I don't hate myself at the moment. I have the confidence to get out of my comfort zone. I'm doing some voluntary work. I told my friends and they have been wonderfully supportive. I'm still lazy, but I don't despise myself for it... actually I'm a bit worried that the meds will make me so at ease with myself that I'll become a bit too comfortable with the things I really want to change. But I am optimistic about beating this contemptuous illness.

I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this forum.

All the best,

G.

Hello all,

Firstly, I want to say how appreciative I am of how supportive many people seem to be on this forum. I think it could be of great help to me.

I'm a 25 year old guy, living in London. I have a lot of things going for me, I guess: I have some great friends, I'm sporty, I front a rock band, I'm well educated, I'm told I'm not ugly (God, I sound like a nob), but all of those things began to mean absolutely nothing to me. Since adolescence I've had a persistent and shrill self-loathing voice in my head that tells me that I'm a hopeless waste of space. It killed my sense of ambition and motivation to do anything remotely productive. I had a decent job until the summer, when I resigned. I lied to them and said I was going travelling, but the truth is that I've just sat around for months watching the dirt pile up.

I had been thinking of suicide for a couple of years. It became my default daydream scenario. However, I was so demotivated that I don't think that I would have even been able to find the sense of commitment to fulfil that daydream. I think I hid it well from my friends and family, but I began to spend more and more time moping around alone, losing a lot of weight and not surfacing from my bedroom until the afternoon.

Recently, I decided that I'd had enough. It was getting scary. I went to the doctors and got the diagnosis: Clinical Depression. I can't remember feeling so relieved. I instantly felt that cynical monkey on my back getting lighter. All those years of blaming things that didn't deserve to be blamed for my sadness were over and now I knew what had to be defeated in order to get my life back.

So now it's been three weeks on 50mg Sertraline and things are looking up. I don't hate myself at the moment. I have the confidence to get out of my comfort zone. I'm doing some voluntary work. I told my friends and they have been wonderfully supportive. I'm still lazy, but I don't despise myself for it... actually I'm a bit worried that the meds will make me so at ease with myself that I'll become a bit too comfortable with the things I really want to change. But I am optimistic about beating this contemptuous illness.

I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this forum.

All the best,

G.

Hi Gorbz and :shocked: to DF!

I'm so glad that you finally sought help and are now on Sertraline. It may or may not have reached it's full potential in 3 weeks. Medications often take 4 to 6 weeks to be completely effective. It will only make you feel as you would without depression, not any more.

Please, make yourself at home. Information can be found in pinned items toward the top of each forum here and informational articles are in the Portal area of DF. You'll find many supportive and caring people here!

iowa

Salutations,

I'm 26 and have been clinically diagnosed with major/severe depression since my early teens. If anything I hope to find some support here. And as I am now at a loss of words, thank you for your time.

Let me tell you, Foolish_Hopeful, you are not alone. We are all in this together. There is a reason why anti-depressants are a billion dollar a year business.

There are a ton of us out there, but it's hard to connect with people about it (at least it is for me). The one thing I do know is that when I'm at rock bottom, as I am now, there really isn't anything anyone can say or do that will make me feel better, so I won't even try.

I get so jealous of the people who don't have to suffer this stuff.

Hello everyone I'm new here I'm a female in my late 20's and I have manic depression. I have been taking Effexor, Wellbutrin,Clonazepan,Ativan for this for a few years now. My problems started when I was in an accident and sustained a head injury over 6 yrs ago. I soon was unable to work and on meds which they quickly increased and now they are not helping me much. I don't have a psychiatrist nor a way to find one right now. Nice to meet you thanks for having me here.

Hello everyone I'm new here I'm a female in my late 20's and I have manic depression. I have been taking Effexor, Wellbutrin,Clonazepan,Ativan for this for a few years now. My problems started when I was in an accident and sustained a head injury over 6 yrs ago. I soon was unable to work and on meds which they quickly increased and now they are not helping me much. I don't have a psychiatrist nor a way to find one right now. Nice to meet you thanks for having me here.

hi!!!! and hugs !!!!

Hey everybody...

I just registered and wanted to introduce myself.

I am 22 years old and a psychology student in the U.S.A. I have my share of personal struggles as well and I look forward to sharing them and gaining and providing insight to others. See you on the forums! :shocked:

hi my name is ed, great to meet you all!!! i suffer from bipolar anxiety and ocd, lots of little things as well

again..great to meet you all!!!

Hi, Ed :wwww:

:shocked:

As you most probably have seen; we have a Bipolar forum, an Anxiety forum and an OCD forum, make yourself at home and please do ask if you have any questions!

Nice to meet you too :sneaky2:

ChrystalR

Hello, whichonespink :huh:

A big welcome to the DF forums, you`ll find a lot of support here.

We have quite a few medical forums, and also other forums which might be relevant for you. I am sorry about your accident, that must have been difficult. You are welcome, and thank you for seeking us out, it`s great that you have chosen to reach out to us :taz:

Remember, do not be afraid of sending a moderator a PM if you have any questions or worries, we love to help, that`s why we are here.

ChrystalR

Hey everybody...

I just registered and wanted to introduce myself.

I am 22 years old and a psychology student in the U.S.A. I have my share of personal struggles as well and I look forward to sharing them and gaining and providing insight to others. See you on the forums! :wwww:

Hey, wiffle! Welcome to DF! :shocked:

We all have our issues here, and as you can see, we have forums that address many specific issues. So, you're sure to find a place where you can discuss what you want to discuss. Everyone here is very supportive, and if you ever want to open up, we will be here for you. Hope to see you around.

If you're new to our DF community, taking the step for the first time to post publicly to a message board can sometimes seem daunting, intimidating. Don't be afraid to jump into a discussion once you have registered with us.

We have a very supportive community that serves up heavy doses of support, encouragement and enthusiasm. We love meeting new people and being friendly. While we hope that you'll become an active participant and join in our discussions, you're welcome, of course, to simply hang out silently until you feel more comfortable posting a message.

We are your safe haven and will never judge you. There is no stigma here. You are not alone.

This Welcome Topic is for a short Introduction to our members/community. Just click on "Add Reply" to this topic to intro yourself. It is not intended to tell your story or to journal/Blog. That is saved for the other forums or for your Blog here at the DF which you may create.

***As a new member, you will have the ability to create two active topics in each Forum. You may reply to as many as you wish.

Click on "New Topic" or you may "Reply" to an ongoing post. You will get the hang of it if you have never posted in a forum before.

If you find it necessary to post about a topic that HAS NOT been covered and you have reached your two Topic limit for that particular forum, you will find a SPECIAL NEW MEMBER POSTING AREA on page one in every room. Please feel free to post there if no other topic covers your area of concern.

*An active topic is defined as a topic that is on the front page of our busier forums or a topic that has received replies in the last 48 hours in our quieter Forums.

If you are in major crisis you may post your topic in Members Needing Extra Support Now (DEPRESSION - Members Needing Extra Support Now - Members Needing Extra Support Now!).

If you are uncertain how to get around the forums, please click on the HELP button on the upper right of the page between Gallery and Search. :shocked:

Posting - How to Reply To A Post or Start a New Topic in a Forum

"Reply to a Post" or Start a "New Topic"

You have three choices to make as to which buttons to click on:

"Reply to this topic" "Start new topic" OR "Fast Reply"

After you type in your message, (and add a smiley or two, if you so wish), you then click on "Add Reply", (or you may "Preview Post" before posting). Your browser will then add your post to the end of the "Thread" that you replied to, or if you started a "New Topic", then it will have added it to the Forum you chose as long as you added a Title to your new Topic, which you can easily see where that will go. After you post you may go back and click on "Edit" if you feel you need to fix something in your post. You have about an hour to edit your post.

And that is how you Reply and Post to a Forum!

:wwww:

~Lindsay, Forum Super Administrator

Hello - I am a new user to this forum. This website was referred by a SMART member. I suffer from constant worry or anxiety disorder and hope to learn more about coping with this disorder.

Hi jazmine and Welcome to DF,

It's always good to have smart members here to help you in getting support, please thank your friend. You have come to a place to where others here have or are going through the same as you suffer. Please have a look around the forums and make yourself at home. If you need any assistance in making your way around the forums please feel free to pm any Mod/Admin.

I am new to this forum although not new to viewing the forums. I go by the name Thibault. I have lifelong depression/GAD and my big struggle is finding the right balance of meds so I feel positive, happy, relaxed but none of the side effects I always seem to get with SSRIs. I imagine that is what we all want-I am not giving up!

Salutations,

I'm 26 and have been clinically diagnosed with major/severe depression since my early teens. If anything I hope to find some support here. And as I am now at a loss of words, thank you for your time.

Hi Foolish_Hopeful and Welcome to DF,

I'm glad that you are here as I know you will find plenty of support and understanding here at DF. Don't worry about being at a loss of words, when you are ready the words will come and when they do you will find in posting it will come easy for you. Have a look around the forums to get an idea of things and make yourself at home.