Sign in to follow this  
cookie86

Beta Blocker Over A Benzo

i went ot visit my doc to get a repeat from xanax.. and he wrote the script for me and then went on about beta blockers... i was just wondering how effective they are.. if you have tried both.. which is better.... im 15 days in on lex (second time around) and perscribde xanax with start up for the first 5 weeks and dont really want to be swtiching but ust for future reference... any info you be helpful thankyou

My doctor just gave me a prescription for Inderal (propranolol) a beta blocker. I was wondering the same thing so I'm curious to see what others have to say also.

I have been taking ativan .5 mg twice a day if needed. He said he'd rather I take the beta blocker. I am starting a new job and very anxious, esp since he is switching my AD meds now just as I'm beginning the job. I'm tapering off Cymbalta (been on for about 6 weeks) then I'm suppose to take NOTHING for 4-5 days! and then start the new AD. I was already anxious so you can imagine =o\

Apparently beta blockers affect just the symptoms of anxiety... shaking, sweating, heart racing etc, and has no effect on the mental aspect of it. It's used for people who get stage fright. My doc has given me 5mg of the med to take twice a day as needed. Although what I've read of people taking it, their doses were much higher... did your doc mention dosage? Or the particular medication he wanted you to try?

Does anyone have any info on dosage of beta blockers (in particular Inderal) for anxiety?

Glad you brought the question up cookie :)

Spiffy

Hi Cookie

I have taken beta blockers. They had no side effects on me and absolutely nothing got to me. I felt very relaxed, but that is my experience on them.

Trace

I have 20 mg tablets I can take 2x a day. What they say is correct - it helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety (palpitatons, sweating, shaking) and not the mental aspect. But for me it really helps because having the physical symptoms makes my mind work overtime. They're not addictive like benzos. Your dose does seem low, though, but I'm no doc.

Everyone's body and situation are different, and for some reason, Inderal didn't touch my physical symptoms regardless of the dosage. The only things that have provided relief for me have been benzos (primarily Klonopin, though I've also been on Valium with relatively decent results). My doctors can't understand why various SSRI's also don't seem to have any effect whatsoever on my GAD, though they have been extremely helpful with my depression.

I've been on Atenolol for years for high blood pressure and to stop my heart from racing; all from anxiety. One thing I can truly say is that I quit having panic attacks after the third day I started this med. I know when I hit one of my triggers and the worst reaction I have ever had is noticing my heart beginning to race and a little shortness of breath, but then my heart slows back down and within a quick minute, it's all over. I must be one of the few this works for.....