Welcome toZoloft Room

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is still a bit early, HM. Give it another month; are you at the proper dose do you think? It can take 6 - 8 weeks at the proper dose for you, to really be effective. If your doc thinks you are at the correct dose and it has been 2 months without good relief, I'd talk to him/her about maybe trying something else.

Hi again.

Well I have been on Zoloft for 4 weeks now. My anxiety is almost gone! I feel very tired on it though. I can sleep and sleep. I hope that passes. I am just glad I can live without fear again. I hope to go off the xanax soon. My doctor said one step at a time though :-)

Hi - Dolly here. It's been a rough week - I'm only taking half the dose of Wellbutrin, weaning off to start Zoloft. Then I will only be at half dosage on that for a week, so I expect more hard times ahead. It's funny - I didn't really think the WB was helping that much until I cut it in half!! Or maybe it's all in my head!! I'm having a little problem with bulemia, which I had under control pretty well. I swear if I gain one pound with Zoloft it's going in the toilet!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, that's my story for now. Will keep you posted.

Dolly

Hi,

Well I was doing great then the other night the 4th I was watching tv.. calm as can be an my heart started racing for about two minutes. I just told myself it was anxiety and it went away. I did eat some chocolate for the first time in months that day. Also I stopped taking b complex and started a one a day pill instead. Not sure if any of that had to do with it, but it scared me so much I can't stop worrying.

thanks,

Kelly

Dolly and Kelly,

Hang in there! Any med change (up or down) is an adjustment for your system and takes time to work through. I'm sorry you both have to go through this, but hopefully you will find that your new meds, once you've adjusted, do the trick for you.

Dolly and Kelly,

Hang in there! Any med change (up or down) is an adjustment for your system and takes time to work through. I'm sorry you both have to go through this, but hopefully you will find that your new meds, once you've adjusted, do the trick for you.

Hi,

Well I am still taking 50 mg and thinking about asking the doc to up my dose but maybe I should wait? I have been on 50mg for4 weeks. I also started b complex back as I think it was helping my anxiety.

thanks.

Hello. I'm new to this forum and new to Zoloft. I have been on the 50mg for about 3 weeks. I did notice a change after two weeks, but now that I'm on my third I don't notice much of a difference. How will I know the meds are working but the dose needs to be upped? Or how do I know if I need to try somethign different? Thanks.

welcome M79!

It can take months for a med to reach theraputic levels. It may take awhile to determine is you need an increase. However, only your doctor can give you precise answers about dosages, etc.

That is a really positive step that you are feeling improvement :hearts:

50mg is a rather low dose for zoloft, but for some folks it is enough. You don't want to go higher if it isn't needed, so perhaps you can wait another month to see if you should try a higher dose. Talk to your doctor about it; s/he is the expert, of course!

Hey all,

I'm not on Zoloft but my girlfriend was put on it today. She's 13 weeks pregnant and her depression is so severe that both her family dr. and OBGYN believe it's worth the risk. If anyone has experienced a severe depression to the point where they shut out their oved ones (especially partner/spouse) and had some success on Zoloft I'd love to hear about it. I've been doing as much research as I can on depression so that I know the right way to be supportive while she's going through this.

She was on Effexor and stopped it cold turkey when she found out she was pregnant. That caused some problems too. So if anyone has anything they are willing to share with me I'd greatfully appreciate it. Thanks all!

I was on zolft for 9 months, I had to wein myself off because of insurance (not Having any). when I first started to take it I started off with 50mg, then 75mg, and last 100mg. It seem to help at first. Only side effects I got was diarhea, which isn't so bad. Worked really well, but then it seem to just taper off. As if I wasn't getting any further with the help from the meds. As I was wiening myself off I often felt dizzie, almost like a good drunking dizzie. Now I have insurance, and seeing a new counselor, she wants me to get back on meds, which one will they be who knows, I just hope which ever it will be they be better, or increase my dose. And I can finally be happy.

Hi everyone!

I'm new and taking zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks. I was on prozac a long time ago and xanax and weaned off. I quit working. I didn't have any panic for about 7 years and was doing ok. It all came back after some stresses. I did take xanax the times I needed it. But I never knew when I would feel panicky so I don't go out much or do things. I tried Paxil which made me so ill and then Lexapro. I decided to just get off of them all together.

I went to a new doctor for my thyroid maybe a year later and he wanted to try me on zoloft. I think I stared at the starter pack for a year! :hearts: I started June 3rd low at 25mg, then 50mg, 100mg. I had an appt. with him after a month to check in on how I was doing and he wanted to bump me up to 150mgs. I started this past Friday.

I have had alot of the side effects, diarrhea, shaky hands and trembling. I almost feel like I have the flu, really dizzy too. This morning I felt like I could barely even walk. Yesterday I did alot of cleaning, vacuuming and mopping and my arms and legs felt trembly even. Does that go away over time? I just wonder if this dose might be too much for me? And would I just now feel that after 5 days on the higher dose? Thanks for any thoughts, glad this forum is here!

Anxgirl,

I have been on Zoloft for about 8yrs now....I dont rember being shakey and stuff...But I would tell your Doc. about these symptoms....Maybe you could be on a much higher dose that you need to be.....I just know I had to cut down to 100mgs everyday than being on 200mgs a day....Because of certain sexuall side effects...

Usually the side effects go away. If yours persist, bring that up with your pdoc. He/she may want you to try another med. 150mg is the usual dose with Zoloft to be at the therapeutic level. If you have just gone to this dose, I would give it at least a week. Like I said, if the side effect you have are really bothering you, your pdoc is the best person to work this out with.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

Greetings, all,

As some of you may know, I have been experiencing an incredible amount of panic/anxiety and pure-obsessional thinking this year, in addition to the old depression that lingers around. It seems that whenever I conquer one obsessive topic, another one comes along to take its place. So, being fed up with living like that, I went to a psychiatrist (to whom I was referred by my therapist,) and he gave me the starter pack for Zoloft. Now, I'm wary of the side effects-- I definitely do not want to gain weight or lose my hair-- so, any insight into this drug will be very helpful. Are any of you prone to obsessional thinking? Has Zoloft been effective for that? And, for those of you who have been on Zoloft for a long time, did it cause you to gain weight? Did you lose hair while taking it? I just need some insight, since I'm so worn out from these obsessive thoughts, it's really ruining my life . . .

-Ari

Ari,

I have not experienced any weight gain from Zoloft. It has helped tremendously with my depression. I do have hair loss (not bald by any means), but I believe it is from the total drug combination I am currently on. I found my OCD was better addressed in therapy to get them under some sort of control. As for other side effects related to Zoloft, I have not experienced any of them.

Thanks for your response, Sheepie!

So, you mean that Zoloft has not helped you with OCD at all? My doctor told me that, out of all the drugs out there, it is the best for OCD. I'm going to continue with cognitive-behavioral therapy, but in combination with the drug, it might work better . . .

-Ari

Ari,

When I was on zoloft I didn't have any of the side effects you mentioned. I did, however, lose a lot of hair at two different times and I'm sure it was because of the severe depression and anxiety. By the time I started on the AD (first zoloft, later paxil), the hair had already begun to re-grow! :)

I don't have any diagnosed OCD problems, but one person who I know who does struggle with depressin and OCD has been given celexa/lexapro to help. I guess all you can do is try the zoloft and see how it works for you. It does often help with anxiety, so if that plays a part in your OCD maybe it would at least help in that way.

Let us know how you are doing with it.

Karen

Karen,

Thanks for your response. When I told my psychiatrist of my recent epiphany that the root cause of my problems was obsessive thinking, he immediately changed his recommendation from Lexapro to Zoloft. He said that, out of all the SSRI's, it is the best equipped for OCD. Anyone else here with that experience? I guess I'll try posting in the OCD forum, too . . .

-Ari

Hi again,

I have been taking Z for about two months now. My dose is 50mg. I have no side effects now but my anxiety seems to be coming back. I am going to try 75 mg and I hope it works. I hate to keep going up and it will not work. I really hope the side effects do not come back. My doctor said lets try 75mg then we can try 100 mg. Wish me luck! I am so nervous.

Kelly

kelly, don't be nervous about the increase in Zoloft. The usual therapuetic dose (per the hospital pdoc) is 150mg. I had to reduce back to 100mg due to unusual and unlisted side-effects. I am doing well on 100mg. Maybe all you need is 75mg. Your doc will know best what is right for you.

Hi

My name is Rasheed. Im fairly new here. I think this place has a wealth of information.

I would like to think of myself as a recovering depressant.

Its not easy hey...

I wish all you guys the strength to overcome everything that you struglling with.

I wish to become an integral part of this community and do what i can to help and learn and recover.

When you guys have some time please say a prayer for me.

Keep smiling

Rap

Welcome, rap...it is good to have you join us. You will find plenty of helpful info and support here at DF.

Kelly - keep working with your doctor. You will get the correct dose figured out in time. Just takes a lot of patience!