Welcome toZoloft Room

I agree with KA - as far as the zoloft, it can take up to a couple of months (at the correct dosage for you) to be fully effective. Try to hang on to give it more time to work for you. If it is a side effect of zoloft that is causing your tiredness, often the side effects taper off around the same time the med becomes fully effective.

Yes, the klonopin can make you tired. I take ativan (lorazepam), which is a similar med, at bedtime precisely for that reason. I think it is good that you've tried reducing the amount you take. Consider what the med was prescribed for: if it is for anxiety, does the lower dosage help that? If it was to help you sleep (as in my case), does the lower dosage work? Of course, let your prescribing doctor know what you are doing, but it makes sense to me to take a lower dose if that does the job and (hopefully) helps you be less tired the next day.

I also like your idea of switching the zoloft to morning. Maybe if you took your klonopin just a bit earlier - like an hour or two before bedtime? - that would help also.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! My name is aimee - I have just started taking Zoloft for depression and social anxiety (I mean that in the most literal sense - I am up to my second day! Lol) I just thought I would introduce myself to everyone (hopefully I am using this forum thing correctly - I am not the most computer literate person!) and say thank you in advance - it is wonderful that this support network is offered! Very comforting...

Welcome to DF and the Zoloft room, Aimee! Yes, it looks like you made your post correctly; maybe you are better at using computers than you think! :)

By reading around in here, you probably already know that it may take a while before your new med works fully for you. Try not to get discouraged; it may be a huge help to you if you give it a month or two. Meanwhile, continue to share. There are many, many wonderful, supportive members here who can help you out.

Karen

Hi,

Sorry for bad english

I m writing from Turkey and my question about ecstasy which I used 3 times all my life.There was no problem with the first 2 but when I took it for third time the problem began.

On 31 December 2004 I took one pill and 3 hours later one pill again. One hour later after the second pill the anxiety began( which I learned that it was an anxiety soon)my arn and leg got and I felt like I was dying. After 5 hours I was well the had gone. But at that time my heartbeat speed up and I culdn not breath.

3 days passed from time to time with heartthrob.

One month later I was feeling very bad( feeling sad,low interest or pleasure,loss of energy, going mad)

So I went to a psychiatrist who gave me zoloft one a day.One month I took it and I was so so but one day when I got up I was very bad the depression came back again I went to dr. and he increased to two pills zoloft.

So, ıt passed 1.5 years. Now I take 3 pills(50 mg.) zoloft and 20 mg buspirone one a day.

I have mood swings. One day I m fine but the other 3 days bad. I suffer from anxiety much more depression.

I must say that before the ecstasy I think I had a generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder and OCD with bad sleep(nightmares).

As you see the treatment can be very difficult for me.

I want to be as I were before.

What can your recommendations be?

Must I get a neurotransmitter testing?

Must I continue taking zoloft or look for another kind of treatment like herbs?( I heard that amoryn gives good results)

Note: I treated OCD and SAD almost but GAD and a moderate depresssion continues.

I ll be very glad ıf you can help

Thank you

Hi sfe,

did you go to a doctor about the reaction to ecstasy?

Did you explain the same to the psychiatrist?

Giving drugs on top of an illegal/recreation drug-or whatever they are called, may not have been sensible. It sounds like the drug didn't have chance to wear off and then your body has been bombarded with something else.

Were any blood tests-any tests done all that time ago? For the ecstasy reaction?

Like any mind altering drug (including anti-depressants), I believe they can cause terrible problems if mixed.

It has been such a long time though, I'm not sure what test could be done now-that would show up anything caused by the ecstasy. I'm not a doctor, but some people have taken this drug only once and have died. I think you may have to just read some of these posts and try and get support for the problems you have now, whether they are a result of a drug or not.

I was stupid enough to overdose on baclofen and wouldn't admit to my doctor's how much of the stuff I took.

It paralysed me so I couldn't get help. I burned for 6months or more-being depressed, I thought I would die so didn't tell anyone. I nearly did die and I suffered, was in excruciating pain as my blood did not seem to know where to go. It felt like the ends of my fingers and toes were going to explode with blood. I couldn't stop moving, had a very high temperature and this continued for months. I suffered for nothing. I am here still and very depressed and now can't cope with hot weather. It seems my circulation has taken a turn for the worst but I've got to live with it. I shall not do that again in a hurry, that's for sure. I found out it is very hard to die from overdosing on baclofen but it can give you long term health problems as your body over heats-well it's what I read on the net anyway. There is not a lot someone can do about something that happened-at the time, I may have been put in hospital with a fluid drip or some antidote. I will never know and just have to cope with the resulting problems that today brings.

You may have altered your body chemistry in some way. You must discuss how it started with your doctor.

I'm new here myself so my advice may not be appropriate. But I learned a lesson as I'm sure you have.

Take care :hearts:

I have to agree, misusing any drug can be very dangerous. No matter how long it has been, I'd strongly encourage you to be completely open with your psychiatrist about everything you've taken, and about exactly what symptoms you are now having.

There are many medications as well as alternative therapies available today, and new ones are being developed. Please communicate fully with your doctor, and see him/her frequently while you find the med, treatment, or combo that helps you best.

Let us know how you are doing.

Karen

Thank you for your posts.

As you said I told everything to my Dr. everything about me.

Well, I must say that I had symptoms( social anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder,sleep disorders) which I didnt know that they are disorders before ecstasy. But I could live with those disorders.

So, I know that every bad things started with the ecstasy.(anxiety and depression) and I cant understand because I was not aheavy user as I mentioned I used it only for three times in my life.

Now I m researching the effects of the ecstasy and learned a lot that it effects serotonin transporters and in some articles dopamine levels.

So I think to test my neurotransmitter levels if I can.

There are lots of prescription drugs and I only tried zoloft. I told this to my dr. but he said it's better to continue zoloft because you get better.

My head is so mixed.( about passing to a new drug or thearapy or a herb like amoryn seredyn)

I ll continue the zoloft for a while and see whats happening.

Thank you again.

Take care yourselves.

Can someone please give me some advice on here. I am in a long distance relationship with a girl in the USA who used to suffer from panic disorder. She's been put on Zoloft.

Her feelings towards me have changed, she gets agitated VERY easily, she feels no remorse for anything, she's selfish, and just seems completely a different person.

Why has this happened?! What is Zoloft supposed to do?

Hi, midlandsguy,

I'm sorry you are finding such problems with your girlfriend and her medications! It must be especially difficult being that you can't be face-to-face. :(

If you read around the various medication rooms here you will find that different folks have had similar responses to antidepressant meds. My guess is that as the medication begins to work on brain chemistry, it may cause some upset and irritability. Another possibility is that as a person begins to feel better about themselves, they start taking better care of themselves. This could mean, at least at first while they become adjusted, they are more assertive than they were in the past, and they could come across as short-tempered.

It is SO hard to say what is actually going on; everyone is different. Generally, though, the purpose of zoloft or most any SSRI-type of antidepressant is to increase the seratonin levels in the brain, therefore reducing depression. These meds generally also help reduce anxiety.

You are doing a great thing to get yourself informed about this illness and the treatment. Keep reading and asking questions; hopefully in time things will level out and your relationship will be better than ever.

Karen

Let us know how it goes with zoloft, Rchie.

Hi,

I am Kelly. I am 32 was married last August to the love of my life. Two months after I was married I had my first panic attack. I didn't know what was going on! My sister had just found out she has stage 5 breast cancer :-( I think that might had to do with it some.

I am now seeing a therapist, and have been diagnosed with Panic, OCD, and health anxiety. I can't stop thinking I am dieing.

I tried EVERY way to become better without taking an SSRI, but I finally broke down last week. I take 12.5 toprol to slow down my heart, 1 mg of xanax twice a day and I started Zoloft 25 mg Saturday. I hope it works for me. I felt better right off the bat the first two days (other then a headache), but then had more anxiety the rest of the week. My left arm went numb and I have been having chest pain left side (but I think it is indegestion) I keep burping and can't stop ewwwww. I also noticed my pulse has went down. It was usually in the 90's and now in the 70's. I up my dose to 50 mg tomorrow.

My husband is wonderful, but I think he would have not married me if he knew what he was getting into!

Well thanks for reading.

Kelly

Edited by kellynwv

Welcome, Kelly!

Awww, I'm sorry to hear about your sister. And even though a wedding is (usually) a positive stressor, it is a huge change. I can definitely see how such a life change, along with your sister's illness, could send you into this illness.

Keep sticking with the zoloft so that it has time to do its job. It can take a while - up to 2 months at the correct dosage - to be fully effective. But it will be well worth the wait if it works for you. And if not, there are plenty of other options you and your doctor can try out.

I do know what you mean about your husband. Within 6 months of my wedding, I had a huge breakdown that led to me needing to stop work. Well, it was definitely more than just that, but since I was bringing in over half of our income, it was a HUGE problem financially on top of my illness. I often think that my wonderful husband may not have gone ahead with our wedding if he'd known what was coming! But, he insists that he is completely happy and would not do anything any differently.

As it turns out, my husband is now also dealing with depression. In one way or another, at one time or another, both partners in the marriage get their chance to give "more than their share." It is just life, and overall it is a good thing. Give your husband a huge hug. :)

I think you will find lots of good support here at DF.

Karen

Hi,

Thanks for your nice comments.

Have you ever heard of someone having heart flutters or palpitations while taking Zoloft. I am getting them. They don't bother me that much, but was wondering. I also have had mild chest pain, but I still think that is indegestion.

Thanks!

Kelly,

Read around in this forum and the other medication rooms. I'm not familiar with heart palpitations from zoloft, but someone may have written about it somewhere. You might also do some research online, and definitely talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist if you are very concerned. I know that digestive upsets are a fairly common side effect of zoloft, but generally that goes away as your body adjust to the med.

Karen

Hi,

Thanks again for your support. I took my Zoloft at 10 am, like I have all week but took 50 mg instead of the 25 mg. I slept all day! Now I am wide awake and it is bed time. I am sure my body will adjust to it. I feel much more relaxed already.

Karen, your husband sounds like a wonderful man!

I have been lucky and able to keep my job, but at times I didn't think I could work.

Well I am off to watch some TV.

Kelly

Hello, my name's laura, i'm 24 and live in England. Last night i took an overdose of ibprofen but made myself sick and get them out of me again.....Don't worry i'm fine today but i realised that i shouldnt be feeling like that considering i've been taking AD's for the past 6 years.

I was on fluoxetine until about 2 months ago and it wasn't until i started reading what you guys talk about that i thought that maybe i could feel happy at all. I thought that the doctor knows best so i shouldn't complain and feel grateful for these drugs he had given me......a friend enlightened me after she witnessed a somewhat hysterical outbreak of emotion. She thought i'd been getting on great.........i reckon i could win an oscar for my cover-up's.

My doctor put me on mirtrazipine but i've been living my life in a blurred bubble. Can't wake up, still feel like i want to die when i am awake and really not getting on well with mirtrazipine at all. i've finallly decided to write on this because i manaaged to get an 'emergency' 5 minute appt with my doc this morning and he has put me on sertraline.

I know everyone doesn't react the same to AD's but i'm at my wits end and really can't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I guess i just want some support....to know that i'm not insane.....to be told that i am allowed to feel like this and it's not something i have to cover up anymore.

i'm thinking maybe '3rd time lucky' . who knows! i read kelly's entry........maybe if i get uncontrollable burping i'll find a way to giggle at myself! feels good blurting all this out though.....why is it so comforting talking to people who don't even know me!

if i hear from anyone then thanks

Edited by KeepingAwake

:hearts: to DF and the Zoloft room, kpearson,

You appear to have a good unserstanding of what ADs are for and what they can do. I hope the Zoloft will be the right one for you this time around. I have been on it for about a year and feel really good for the first time in a long while. Patience is the keyword with any of these medications. However, if the side-effects are really severe, discuss them with your doc ASAP.

Glad that you found DF, you will receive a lot of support here. You can also feel safe and that you will not be judged. We have all had or have depression and know how it really distorts our life. Keep posting, we'll be here.

Sheepwoman :bump:

Hi there,

My names Chris and Ive been on Sertaline for about a year an a half now!

Had some ups and had some downs and have battled on everyday but am now starting to come out of the fog that is depression.

Hope to chat to some of you all later!

Hi everyone.. Newbie here. Been lurking around the forums for a while, just too afraid to post. Silly I know. I have been battling depression for a very long time now. I am 30 and have a wonderful family. My hubby is my support system and my rock. Without him and my girls, I personally don't think I would be here today. Last year, I suffered what I call a breakdown. I stayed in bed for a week and cried everyday for that entire week. Hubby begged me to go to the Dr. but I was too afraid. Finally this past May I got up enough courage to go to the Dr. He first started me out on Effexor XR. I stayed on it for 3 weeks and just felt like crap. Stayed in my room all day. Didn't want anyone to come around me, just wanted to be left alone. Then I went back and got put on Elavil. Had terrible aweful dreams from that and a few more SE's and went back this past Wednesday and asked to be put on something else. This time it's Zoloft. I am hoping 3rd times a charm. He started me out on 50 mgs a day and I also take Vistaril to help sleep.

I often feel like I wear a two sided mask. One happy for the world to see and one sad for here at home. Even though I am down all the time. I have terrible panic attacks. I have a terrible fear of people and can't even go to town by myself. Luckily hubby understands and never asks me to go alone. I did try about 2 weeks ago and said that I wouldn't do that again..LOL.. I will eventually try again. I hate to be defeated.

Mental illness runs in my family. I also had a bad childhood. I sought help to be happy again. To love myself. I love my family, just hate myself. I look forward to "meeting" all of you.

Until next time.......ShortStuff

Edited by Short_Stuff

Welcome to DF, ShortStuff!

I'm glad you are working with your doctor to find the treatment that helps you best. There are so many medication options these days! You may find (if you don't already have one) that it is a benefit to treat your depression and anxiety with a psychiatrist rather than your family doctor. It is up to you, of course, but I found that after 10 years of decent medical help from my family doc, when I switched to a psychiatrist we were able to come up with a combo of meds that has me feeling better than I have since the beginning of my depression.

Keep in mind, too, that most often it seems like medications together with counseling (talk therapy) provide the best help for depression.

Keep sharing!

Karen

Hey Everybody - I'm Dolly - switching over from the Wellbutrin folks. I was on WB for two months and doing okay, but my blood pressure has hit the roof and I'm about to blow! I've had a lot of pain in my left arm, but have been given Toprol, so it should ease up soon. I didn't know high BP was a side effect, but then, this is all new to me. I'll be starting Z next week, after a week of easing off the WB. We'll see how it goes.

Take Care,

Dolly

:hearts: to the Zoloft room, dolly,

I hope this med works out better for you. My blood pressure has not gone up in the year+ since starting Zoloft. Hopefully, yours will return to normal. I find this is a very good AD and have had good results with it.

Sheepwoman :bump: