Tovah

Has Anyone Ever Felt God's Presence?

This is something I have been praying for for 25 years. I have prayed and prayed in my darkest hours to feel God's presence and feel his peace but have not. Have you? What did it feel like??

Wishing, hoping and praying -

Tovah :hearts:

Hi Tovah,

Sometimes I have to go somewhere else to feel God's presence. I'm catholic so many catholic churches are open during the day. Sometimes all go and sit in there, and I feel God's presence then. Other times are at meal times. Sometimes I feel God out in nature when I'm walking. "Seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you". Matthew 7:7. Sometimes if I use one of my talents like playing the guitar or singing I feel God's presence. Hope that helps!

Clion

Guest iowa

C.S.Lewis went through a similar time and wrote about it in "Surprised by Joy". He talks of his first time in finding that presence and peace when he was in nature and just swept into "joy".

Iowa

It happened to me when I was at my very lowest. I had been speaking to a friend about religion; I have lived my life as an atheist for a very long time. He said that he was going to pray for me as he felt that I needed God in my life. I went to bed, with tears in my eyes and just started talking about how I needed some help right now. Suddenly, all I felt was love and all I could see was light, even though my eyes were closed and I was in a darkened room. I knew that it was God, there was nothing else it could have been. Since then, I now call myself a Christian and I regularly pray. I still have a lot of questions that need answering, but I think that is part of being a Christian; having questions.

I have felt God's presence at times when I least expected it. Sometimes, when deep in my own misery, I will pray and ask for help or direction and it seems to be in the moment of asking, when I am deepest in that thought , that a quiet and peaceful feeling will come. It always makes me feel serene and like I have been given something special. It's then up to me and my faith to carry that feeling in my being with hope and love. When I am able to do that there is always peace. Namaste.........POPI

Guest Abomination

Never felt anything like that either.

Edited by iowa

Yes, though I would not say it was a feeling, more like experiencing God, or seeing through the eyes of the creator.

I am a panthiest/monist (i.e. the belief that there is ONLY God, and everyone/everything else is really us experiencing Gods dream so to speak).

Anyway, one day as I was driving down the highway I experienced "the lifting of the veil". It struck suddenly and was absolutely the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. Suddenly seeing every single thing, every single being, as perfection, as this beautiful creation that is perfect and feeling utterly in love with it all. I mean everything, the weeds, the trucks, the songs on the radio, the thugs and homeless people, it was all absolutely divinely beautiful. Complete peace, complete acceptance, a feeling of utter and complete bliss. It was like watching an incredible visual scene from a movie, where you are just taken back by the talent and creativity of the director at that moment, and it felt just like that, being the observer instead of the one of the characters trapped inside the plot of the film itself.

Lasted all day, which was nice because it gave me time to reflect on different things while in that state (i.e. the environment, the temporary nature of the world, and how what was created could be recreated in a split second etc...). The few others that I have found that have experienced the same thing often said their experiencs were very very brief, I felt fortunate to have more time.

That was a few years ago and it had a profound effect on me ever since. It made this world the "dream" and instead of having faith in god, or an afterlife or whatever, I know it is real. It seems to be a relatively rare experience in the west, but oddly those that have experienced it all seem to have the exact same sense of revelation, of reality, after the fact (and no I am not schizophrenic, just in case anyone was wondering, it was a one time occurence, at times I try to go back there, I can get some of the feelings back but never like that one time).

Has it helped me cope with severe depression? Yes, mainly because I know this is all temporary. I may get better, I may not, but in the end things WILL change. Eventually we all awake from the dream.

Edited by sonya610

I haven't had it happen frequently, but it has happened a few times. During a worship service or an altar call at church. At those times, it's a tremendous powerful feeling, that takes all concept of time away from me. I am not conscious of how much time has passed and all thoughts of anything bothering me goes away. Other times I've been feeling at my worst, maybe in the middle of the night, feeling abandoned and lonely and I ask God to comfort me. It feels like a great relief after an exhausting crying session. I feel this sense of calm quietness and am then able to sleep.

Tovah; If I try to describe how it feels to "be in God's presence" I would say that it is a feeling of "being known, accepted and love" by something so much greater than me; more than love, a feeling or "warm fuzzy"...it is the total validation of me as a person. I hope that you can feel that soon.

I have not felt God in weeks. I have prayed to him asking for his help in my marriage, it seems he hasn't heard me. Prayed for this black ugly dark mood I have been in for two months now to go away and let me talk to my wife without crying, still no help there. I even prayed to God that he would at least put a hand on my shoulder so I won't feel so alone, he has yet to reveal himself to me and not even a pat on the head. If I don't snap out of this funk I will lose my family, my wife does not understand what I am going through, and the kids are worried sick. I have felt God before in my life, but for some reason he is not doing anything to help or comfort me. I am going back to the psychiatrist today to try out a different medication, but that might take two or three weeks before I have some relief. So please keep me in yalls' prayers and maybe he might just come back to me.

Southerncross

Tovah; If I try to describe how it feels to "be in God's presence" I would say that it is a feeling of "being known, accepted and love" by something so much greater than me; more than love, a feeling or "warm fuzzy"...it is the total validation of me as a person. I hope that you can feel that soon.

What a great way of describing it, that's exactly how I felt. I haven't felt it again since, I guess He feels I haven't needed to :)

This is a great question. The most spiritual I felt was skiing in the Rockies, I felt like being surrounded by snow capped peaks was God's real cathedral. However, actually feeling God I think has happened on a few occasions for me. These times are when I was at complete inner peace with myself. I was living completely in the moment, not fretting about the past nor worrying about the future. It felt like I could handle any eventuality right then, any emergency but I wasn't anxious. It's kind of hard to explain but it was inner peace, outpouring of love for all people and things and living in that precise moment in time. I really wish I could get back to it more often.

Gus

I think to "feel god's presence" is just a subjective term, in my own experience. One has to have some sort of feeling that there is a "God"; then know what to expect from that "God" if it appears. I think a lot of the responses indicate feelings where a person felt really good, or felt a part of the universe, or an appreciation of what one of the beautiful parts of the world have to offer. To think it is "God's" presence, you have to have some definition of what "God" is to you -- and how would you know it? If there is a God in the most traditional sense of the word, I'd think you'd feel its presence all the time. Just my opinion. I think all life is interrelated, and if you get that connection to the universe, and beyond, that may be the feeling you are looking for.

in 1996, following the death of our son to SIDS was the closest I've ever felt to God, even in the depths of dispair I was aware that He was there comforting me. How would I describe it? Like being wrapped in a warm woollen blanket on a cold winters night or sinking into a nice warm bath tub.

I'm both a Unitarian-Universalist and Wiccan. UUs believe that all positive spiritual paths and lack of paths are valid as long as they are peaceful and loving, and as a Wiccan I believe that my Higher Powers are a Goddess and God. I focus on the Goddess in my worship, because I'm most comfortable with that for some reason.

I just thought some explaining would be necessary, considering that my answer to this question may seem odd without the explaination.

I've felt Divinity all over the place. What do I mean? Well, to me, the Goddess can be called by a million different names, and worshipped in a million different ways. It is how She calls us.

Why is this important in my answer? I have felt Divinity, as I said, in so many places. I've been in the Middle East in mosques and felt Her. I'm not Muslim at all, but She was with me. I've been running in the woods, at alter calls in Christian churches (I'm sorry if that offends any Christians, no offense meant!), in my home, and in my Wiccan worship circle. I've woken up after spiritual dreams, and had flashes of insight just randomly that I feel are Her communications to me. I've also felt Her at Christian holy sites, such as Mount Mary in Turkey. That's a powerfully spiritual place to me.

So yes, I've felt the Goddess in my life in many ways.

I'm not sure if there's a way to go about feeling it if you want to do so. Some atheists have felt something they describe as like how I feel, except they attribute it to something different. All paths and lack of paths are equally valid to me, as long as they are peaceful and loving.

I feel content that the Goddess can be worshipped anywhere, at any time, and in any emotional state.

This is something I have been praying for for 25 years. I have prayed and prayed in my darkest hours to feel God's presence and feel his peace but have not. Have you? What did it feel like??

Tovah :hearts:

This is a really good question not that I have the answer for you or anyone else. I will give you my own experience. I have always felt God's presence...even during the couple years I tried to be agnostic and failed at it. I could not get rid of God.

Does feeling his presence mean I always feel good and am never down and depressed? Not at all. Sometimes I think God even hates me. I hope that part of my life is over, thinking that because I have done a lot of growing spiritually recently. God is the Creator and I see him and feel him in everything. I see him in children and baby animals especially. I also believe he is in every atom in our bodies. Our bodies are called a temple. I do not have knowledge to answer for anyone else but that is my experience down to a paragraph. I could write more but I am keeping this short so not to bore anyone.

Pill

On the rare occassion that I go to mass, I always end up with my head in my hands weeping uncontrollably because it's one of the few times I feel like everything's taken care of. I don't have to be in charge or on guard. I always thought that was feeling the presence of God.

On the rare occassion that I go to mass, I always end up with my head in my hands weeping uncontrollably because it's one of the few times I feel like everything's taken care of. I don't have to be in charge or on guard. I always thought that was feeling the presence of God.

Mulligrubs, I agree with you--it's that "sweet surrender" that's mentioned in some gospel songs.

I know it and have felt it. As emotional beings I think we seek "the feeling" (and often find it) but, faith is about belief even when the feeling isn't isn't around.

Even so, God's grace overwhelms me when I'm outdoors, in the beauty of nature.

Despite my belief, I have my questions for God--I can get angry and wonder "why?" this suffering in the world? There's much about this earthly life I don't understand....still, I believe "we'll understand it better by and by." (Another song lyric).

May you all be blessed,

Aerial

Tovah :shocked:

Hi Tovah, nice to meet you. First off I want to say how strong I think you are for not giving up on God even though he has seemed to be silent for so many years. I know it is incredibly hard when he is silent even for a little while. I have felt God's presence several times, but some have been much bigger than others. I haven't felt him in a while and it's my fault because I have let myself drift so far from him, but a few months ago I felt so completely overwhelmed in my depression I thought I had reached the end, i had nothing left in me, and some of my friends helped me realize not to give up on him and my life. It was raining outside and I connect with god most through nature, especially water, so I decided to walk outside. When I did, this light mist that felt completely amazing began blowing in my direction and showering me, and I felt this incredible peace, like I was being repaired, made whole again. For a while after that my depression got alot better, it has gotten worse again because I have let it. Anyway, I hope this helps you see there is hope, he is there and he cares and loves you, and he knows what he is doing. Keep seeking him and you will find him, and when you do find him hold onto him, he can pull you out of this mess just trust him. He has freed me from so much and helped me with so many things and I am praying he will do the same for you

I have done a lot of pretending in church groups about that kind of thing, just to appear to be connected to God and gain the approval of people. In all honesty, I have never felt it. Ever since I can remember, I always just felt I was praying into thin air. Everyone around me in these church groups seemed to be feeling something, so I pretended to feel it too. This caused a lot of conflicted emotions and made me think I was a flawed human for not being able to feel such things.

I use to feel the same way when I prayed. Like my prayers were bouncing off the celing and coming back unanswered. Then one day (about 6 weeks after my wife died) there was a guest speeker at my church. Dave Mann, this guy I felt, was talking straight at me. He didn't know me never seen me before. But his message hit home with me so hard. He talked about turning our loved ones over to God, We can do nothing for them any more. They are in his hands now. And the process of grieving is a process of letting go of them and letting god have them. So when I got home I sat in my pourch and cried and cried and I talked to God. I told him how deserving she is to go to heaven. How she never hurt anyone. Even how I would take the punishment for all her sins. Then I explained how she would make heaven a more beautiful place. I said all this from my heart and I ment every word. I was accualy turning her over to God. I could do no more for her. Then I heard the voice of God telling me he is the only one who could love her more than I. With this I felt a warm breeze blow through me. I could feel it inside of me, go through me and a peace came over me and a silent calm. The tears stopped the next breath of air I took was like the cleanest breath of air I ever took. It was like cleansing to me. I accualy felt no pain on sadness just peace, like the load had been lifted off of me. I really believe if we pray from our heart and meen what we say our prayers get herd and if we are perseptive to what God is saying we will hear his answer. When I begin to pray I always ask for Gods forgiveness because Iam a sinner. I appolagize for wrong doings and get right with him before I ask any favors. I can't speak for nobody accept myself. But this seems to work for me. I have felt this calm come over me several times now. I hope something I have said helps you. because we all experiance God in our own way. Our relationship with him is very personal. He knows what we need before we ask. He is just waiting for us to ask. Good luck to you and you will be in my prayers tonight.

Bible Mike :shocked:

You certainly have given me something to think about.

I guess the definition of faith is believing what you don't see. Without some kind of indication that something is there, all I have is a childhood story. Faith, i guess, is something I haven't been given yet. I don't doubt your experiences. They sound quite moving. Everyone seems to experience these types of things except for me. I've stopped talking to air because it's pointless. I have no reason to believe anything right now.

I am Agnostic. However, there have been times I've been interested in Christianity and felt some validity towards it (but I disagree with too many of the Bibles preachings, honestly).

I have honestly, seriously on many occassions asked for help from a God if he exists. I've tried telling him I don't want to go to hell and to please save me or make it known somehow he is there. Everytime, whether I've begged desperately or cried to hard for help in my darkest times, I have gotten nothing.

Therefore, I no longer believe. Or if there is a God, he wants me to go to hell.