Sign in to follow this  
theguy

Does Anyone Take A Benzo On A Regular Basis?

I am not too thrilled about taking the benzo medications on a regular basic but my transition from paxil to Wellbutrin has increased my anxiety so I feel I may need to for a little bit. I just want to know who else takes a benzo on a regular basis, how much, and is there a set time when you will no longer be taking it?

Valium 5 mg 3x a day since last winter.

Before that, for like 20 years, I took Xanax as needed (dentist, air flight, job interview) for like 20 years. It was perfect. Then I started going through a hard time at work and my Pdoc said to take it regularly every day. I curse that day because now it doesn't work anymore yet I have panic attacks if I try to go off it - yet I MUST go off it because it makes my depression worse. I'm between a bad rock and a hard place. I wish I could go back and change that day. Benzos are GREAT "as needed" but from experience I would caution strongly against taking them regularly (ie, every day). Good luck to you.

I take clonazepam(klonopin) daily, and have done so for 8-9 years. I am prescibed up to 1mg/day as needed. Trust me it's needed! However, rare is the day I'll take a whole mg. Today, for instance I only took .5mg. I do recall a time when .25mg would do the trick for me, but now it's .5, and sometimes a bit more. So, likely I have built up some tolerance. My pdoc has no problem with this med and additionally, when I was hospitalized for and overdose of Ambien, I actually thought it was clonazapam that I had od'd on. Well, when I returned home, the benzos were still there, scattered all over the bedroom, and it was the Ambien that was gone.....about 12 pills. I really attribute this to trying to take myself off benzos altogether, maybe having a "rebound" effect. The best I can figure is that I had upped my benzo intake to compensate for the rebound, added ambien to help me sleep, and subsequently did the "amnesia" effect sometimes know to be caused by ambien.

Well, anyway, I just figure that I, in the state I was in, was getting up and taking another dose time and time again without even knowing I'd taken dose after dose before. Zip....right off to IP I went.

I am now still prescribed both clonazepam AND ambien, but I will not take them without STRICT pdoc supervision! Problem was up to that point I was being Rx'd these meds with absolutely no supervision, from a pdoc 150 miles away who hadn't even seen me in 3 years.

Benzos are considered for me a "maintenance" med, and I honestly think they get a bad rap due to people being Rx'd them irresponsibly, then not being properly supervised. In addition, benzos are a hot item as a street market drug.

My opinion is that due to the fact that they have been overprescribed are poorly supervised they are now a strictly controlled substance and docs fear losing thier liscense for "over/irresponsibly" doling them out to anyone who complains of otherwise controlable anxiety/panic.

Am I "addicted"? Well, I just don't know! I do know it's unlikely I'd get out of bed in the morning without .25mg in my system upon waking(then I sit in for an hour, sip coffee, meditate, contemplate, assess the day before, and the day I'm walking into).

This is just me. And, about 9 years later, I'm doing fine on less than 1mg.! I have made it clear to my pdoc that should there ever be a time that I state that I need more than 2mg. she's to consider me "irresponsible and addicted". She's fine with this, and says we'll keep it monitored, and address any issues when and if they happen.

Probably short term use is best, but who really knows?

Deepster

from my own personal experience, i would strongly advise against taking any form of benzo's on a daily basis. initially, ur regular benzo or three is a godsend for severe anxiety. shortly thou, a tolerence will inevitably build and it shall become a case of either taking more (bad choice) or getting off them and being back in the raw (so to speak)... they are VERY addictive so plz be ultra careful, in whateva doses u opt to take. they are, after all, designed only for short term use. (which is freaking difficult when we all have long term anxiety!) urgh.

I have been taking klonopin for 7 years. At my worst i take 1mg but its usually .5 or less. I never went over 1mg and never needed to. I even went days without taking it but that is when I am on an AD.

I will tell my personal opinion about benzos. If you really need it and dont start to need to upper the dosage I dont see why it is such a problem. Benzos whether klonopin, xanax or others truly help with the physical symptoms of anxiety disorders which can be very distressing! I have been taking it for over 7 years now. Right now I am on zoloft and found myself needing to take more so I decided I needed to upper the zoloft. Not the klonopin. If you use it smartly it does help to function better. If I am addicted, as I have read from someone on the net, I am addicted to feel better. Its not like someone taking it for a thrill. We have a disorder. Its to help us feeling better so we can function. If you are able not to take any than I think its better but otherwise I dont see the real problem. Of course its my personal opinion. Each person is different. But the psychiatrist I saw for my evaluation told me he had no problem prescribing me the benzo cause I have never went over 1 mg in 7 years. Maybe 2 or times in real bad times but its mostly between .5 and 1 mg.

So, getting off my soapbox now :hearts:

Well here's my story. For 20 years I had a prescription for Xanax that I took as needed. One bottle would last months. I took it to get over my fear of the dentist, flying, it was great.

I wish I would have stopped there. But a year ago I started going through a very stressful time. My doctor told me to take 4 a day, every day. I didn't know any better and followed his advice.

Within a couple of month I was having tolerance withdrawal between doses. He put me on 4 valium a day, which last longer.

Now I am dependent, :flowers: and the valium does absolutely nothing to curb my anxiety. In fact it makes it much worse than it was before I went on it. And now I have to taper off it, which could take a year and provoke panic attacks, insomnia, possibly a manic phase (I'm bipolar). If I felt better taking it, it would be great, but I don't. I have constant anxiety now worse than before I was put on the 4 a day.

If I could go back in time and change that moment the doctor prescribed me and NOT take his advice I would do so. In fact if I had one moment in my entire life to change, I would. Because I am so so so so so fearful of going off the Valium. But I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Not to mention that now I have nothing I can take for immediate needs, like I used to take the Xanax.

I'm so angry at my ex doctor I wish I could sue him. :hearts: Even my new doctor doesn't really see the need for me to come off, and she's treating it as no big deal. But I'm so terrified I want to cry. :hearts:

Benzos are GREAT to take for once in a while. But don't take them every day. Please.

(PS. I'm now down to 3 daily. A total of 15 mg Val)

Well here's my story. For 20 years I had a prescription for Xanax that I took as needed. One bottle would last months. I took it to get over my fear of the dentist, flying, it was great.

I wish I would have stopped there. But a year ago I started going through a very stressful time. My doctor told me to take 4 a day, every day. I didn't know any better and followed his advice.

Within a couple of month I was having tolerance withdrawal between doses. He put me on 4 valium a day, which last longer.

Now I am dependent, :flowers: and the valium does absolutely nothing to curb my anxiety. In fact it makes it much worse than it was before I went on it. And now I have to taper off it, which could take a year and provoke panic attacks, insomnia, possibly a manic phase (I'm bipolar). If I felt better taking it, it would be great, but I don't. I have constant anxiety now worse than before I was put on the 4 a day.

If I could go back in time and change that moment the doctor prescribed me and NOT take his advice I would do so. In fact if I had one moment in my entire life to change, I would. Because I am so so so so so fearful of going off the Valium. But I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Not to mention that now I have nothing I can take for immediate needs, like I used to take the Xanax.

I'm so angry at my ex doctor I wish I could sue him. :hearts: Even my new doctor doesn't really see the need for me to come off, and she's treating it as no big deal. But I'm so terrified I want to cry. :hearts:

Benzos are GREAT to take for once in a while. But don't take them every day. Please.

(PS. I'm now down to 3 daily. A total of 15 mg Val)

Are you just taking xanax or are you taking an AD with it? I dont recommend to take a benzo alone. I take it but with an AD. I also for a little while took benzos only and I wasnt getting better either.

So benzos as a combo with an AD is ok or for someone that has panick attacks but not too often. Otherwise its better to take an AD.

I think I should of mention the AD. sorry!

I'm on valium instead of the xanax. I also take lithium, zyprexa and stared 6 weeks ago on Lexapro. I am hoping the Lexapro will really kick in against my anxiety so I can start my Valium taper but it hasn't yet (I've only been on a full dose for 3 days).

Tovah

I will tell my personal opinion about benzos. If you really need it and dont start to need to upper the dosage I dont see why it is such a problem. Benzos whether klonopin, xanax or others truly help with the physical symptoms of anxiety disorders which can be very distressing! I have been taking it for over 7 years now. Right now I am on zoloft and found myself needing to take more so I decided I needed to upper the zoloft. Not the klonopin. If you use it smartly it does help to function better. If I am addicted, as I have read from someone on the net, I am addicted to feel better. Its not like someone taking it for a thrill. We have a disorder. Its to help us feeling better so we can function. If you are able not to take any than I think its better but otherwise I dont see the real problem. Of course its my personal opinion. Each person is different. But the psychiatrist I saw for my evaluation told me he had no problem prescribing me the benzo cause I have never went over 1 mg in 7 years. Maybe 2 or times in real bad times but its mostly between .5 and 1 mg.

So, getting off my soapbox now :shocked:

I couldn't agree more. I was on Ativan for 10 years and now Klonopin for 17 years. At the worst time of my life, while being hospitalized, I was on 2 mg. of Klonopin 3 times a day~! I am now back down to 1 mg. 3 times a day. If I need to take this to feel ok, then I will definately take it. I don't like the fact that I have to take this med. daily, but I just want to feel normal! I was on Zoloft (pooped out), Lexapro (pooped out) and just started Prozac. So it's not like I am taking this medicine for the thrill of it. As stated, I just want to feel normal.

Edited by kristenpa

I have been taking xanax 4-6mg daily for severe GAD and panic disorder, while many AD's didint help

it was just the xanax that was helping, However recently i have been put back on lexapro which i was on before but now at a smaller dose of 10mg instead of 20mg (which gave me seritioum syndrome!!) i feel better on the lex now

but i have been switched to klonopin 6mg daily once upon waking, once late afternoon, and once just before bed!

that has helped me with starting the lexapro again and now that it has reached a steady blood level im not sleepy anymore and it works together with the lex. But in 3 motnhs time i will be tapering and going down to 3mg daily and then so forth untill i can cese it. i also still have xanax availibile if needed but know that i am on klonopin my high dose of xanax has decresed abnd i havent had to take it at all, just maybe once in like 2 weeks but only 2mg.

But yer i was pretty heavy on benzos as i was going through a rough time and i couldent even leave my house due

to panic, GAD and severe cronic worry and i was running out of opinions for AD's so my pdoc thought the xanax was

the only thing that could ease the pain! he told me to take 3mg daily but i was taking 4-6mg in the one hit at times, but i didnt tell him. Anyway i have been overseas recently to one of the best international hospitals and i have seen my pdoc over there who is much beter then the doc i got down here and now i can slowlly start to feel benifits from the lexapro.

Edited by Jay_Man

Hello JayMan,

It's great that you found a pdoc you like, one with whom you mesh. Finding the right doc is nearly as hard as finding the right meds. It can be so frustrating!

Speaking of meds, I'm happy to hear that Lex seems to be working for you. I hope you can reduce the dosage as planned. Please keep us updated on that.

I do want to offer you a word of caution. You mention taking more Xanax than Rx'd, and without your doc's knowledge. Adjusting doses on your own isn't recommended. You should always keep your doc updated on what's working, what isn't, and always consult your doc before increasing/decreasing dosages. Please be careful. I don't want anything to happen to you. :shocked:

:wwww:

-Bean

Hello JayMan,

It's great that you found a pdoc you like, one with whom you mesh. Finding the right doc is nearly as hard as finding the right meds. It can be so frustrating!

Speaking of meds, I'm happy to hear that Lex seems to be working for you. I hope you can reduce the dosage as planned. Please keep us updated on that.

I do want to offer you a word of caution. You mention taking more Xanax than Rx'd, and without your doc's knowledge. Adjusting doses on your own isn't recommended. You should always keep your doc updated on what's working, what isn't, and always consult your doc before increasing/decreasing dosages. Please be careful. I don't want anything to happen to you.

-Bean

Hello Bean thanks or the support and advice, i will take that into account and do know that it is essential to tell your pdoc everytihing

I went through a difficult phase were i did increase the dose at times but know i know its up to your doc that you trust not you.

Anyway thanks for caring your any words of support is much appriciated :shocked:

I've been taking klonopin for over 7 years now. I stopped for awhile but really its like a drop in the sea. At this point, if I have to take them for the rest of my life I will. I dont see myself getting off them in the near future.

I take for right now 3x .5mg. I used to take between .5mg and 1mg a day but lately had to increase due to different factors. No, I did not consult my doctor as I am waiting to see him. The increase is not that much and i was miserable so I decided to take the decision and i feel a bit better.

I will see what my doctor will say of course but between being miserable and increasing my dosage a bit, I prefer the increase. Of course that me and I am not saying everyone should do that.

But this stigma over benzos is in my opinion over rated. Ok, so what if we need them. We do have a disorder, we need something to help us. I have a VERY hard time with ADs. ONly one that kind of help is effexor and only at 37.5mg. I cant go higher. ANd even than I get some very uncomfortable side effect. I need something and klonopin just help me function better. The only down side is I sleep more at night.

All medications have their down side. ADs do have them. Benzos do have them. and other meds for other kind of illnesses. So, for god sake, we got to stop being so afraid of benzos.

Ok, down my soapbox now

:shocked:

Joyce

I've been taking klonopin for over 7 years now. I stopped for awhile but really its like a drop in the sea. At this point, if I have to take them for the rest of my life I will. I dont see myself getting off them in the near future.

I take for right now 3x .5mg. I used to take between .5mg and 1mg a day but lately had to increase due to different factors. No, I did not consult my doctor as I am waiting to see him. The increase is not that much and i was miserable so I decided to take the decision and i feel a bit better.

I will see what my doctor will say of course but between being miserable and increasing my dosage a bit, I prefer the increase. Of course that me and I am not saying everyone should do that.

But this stigma over benzos is in my opinion over rated. Ok, so what if we need them. We do have a disorder, we need something to help us. I have a VERY hard time with ADs. ONly one that kind of help is effexor and only at 37.5mg. I cant go higher. ANd even than I get some very uncomfortable side effect. I need something and klonopin just help me function better. The only down side is I sleep more at night.

All medications have their down side. ADs do have them. Benzos do have them. and other meds for other kind of illnesses. So, for god sake, we got to stop being so afraid of benzos.

Ok, down my soapbox now

Joyce

Joyce i know were your coming from you i have hard a hard time with AD's i am on lexapro 10mg now i had to be started on 5mg for 2 weeks im that sensitive i remember when i was increased to 20mg of lex i had seritoium syndrome so i know were your coming from. So know i will not increase from 10mg lucky i had my xanax or else i would of been hospitilized i took 6mg to stop the seritioum syndrome!! So benzos are needed for people who suffer were all else treatments have failed. You are on quite a small dose so i think you wont have to worry much about that. I am on 6mg daily of klonopin and i alos take xanax as neeeded but know that the klonopin has reached a steady blood level in my system like i have menntioned inprevious posts the need for xanax has been cut dramaticly. Anyway everyone is different some on higher doses and some are on lower doses

i can handle higher doses and i need it due tio severe panic disoder and GAD. but in the long run i pray that the lexapro works so that in a years time i can be of the klonopin and just keep the xanax as an "Emergency"

good luck

Jayman!

Ok, down my soapbox now

Joyce

Joyce i know were your coming from you i have hard a hard time with AD's i am on lexapro 10mg now i had to be started on 5mg for 2 weeks im that sensitive i remember when i was increased to 20mg of lex i had seritoium syndrome so i know were your coming from. So know i will not increase from 10mg lucky i had my xanax or else i would of been hospitilized i took 6mg to stop the seritioum syndrome!! So benzos are needed for people who suffer were all else treatments have failed. You are on quite a small dose so i think you wont have to worry much about that. I am on 6mg daily of klonopin and i alos take xanax as neeeded but know that the klonopin has reached a steady blood level in my system like i have menntioned inprevious posts the need for xanax has been cut dramaticly. Anyway everyone is different some on higher doses and some are on lower doses

i can handle higher doses and i need it due tio severe panic disoder and GAD. but in the long run i pray that the lexapro works so that in a years time i can be of the klonopin and just keep the xanax as an "Emergency"

good luck

Jayman!

Jayman! :huh:

Nice talking to you again :sneaky2:

Glad I am not the only one with the ADs problem. I didnt know you could take klonopin and xanax togethe??

I know there is the xanax xr now but i dont now if its available in Canada yet.

How is the lexapro for you right now? not too much side effects? does it help your anxiety? This serotonine syndrome scares me and I think I might have that too. Not sure. But just the way I react to ADs, almost all of them, its not a good sign. I dont know what the heck I would do without anti anxiety! :shocked:

:wwww:

Joyce

Jayman!

Nice talking to you again

Glad I am not the only one with the ADs problem. I didnt know you could take klonopin and xanax togethe??

I know there is the xanax xr now but i dont now if its available in Canada yet.

How is the lexapro for you right now? not too much side effects? does it help your anxiety? This serotonine syndrome scares me and I think I might have that too. Not sure. But just the way I react to ADs, almost all of them, its not a good sign. I dont know what the heck I would do without anti anxiety!

Joyce

Hey Joyce!!

its good to catch up with you again too.

I have recently come back from overseas and saw my Pdoc who i believe is the best one for me

i have been seeying her for about 5 years now, and i text her and we keep in touch by email.

You can take Xanax and klonopin together becasue they work on different parts of the brain

they can be takkin togther and becasue they are both benzos its perfectly fine, thats what my pdoc

has told me Klonopin is more of a longer acting benzo while xanax is very short acting and is for immidiate

relief and exits your systym very quickly. And about the xanax XR we dont have that here in Australia either

so i have to use klonopin 6mg daily, i also have taken 4mg of xanax while i have been on the 6mg of klonopin

if i have a severe panic attack or bad chronic GAD/anxiety. I have doing this for a while but i only use the xanax

if i need it and if the klonopin is not enough! Sometimes becasue it takes a while for the klonopin to work

and if you have a panic attack the attack will well and trully be over by the time the klonopin kicks in so if you

take the xanax it will work very quickly to ease your anxiety! It is very hard to overdose on benzos unless you are stupid and mix it with other drugs and alcholl thats when it becomes dangourous. So Coming from a really

good pdoc there is now problem in taking them together but only if needed.

Oh and the lex seems to be going ok i started real low at 5mg now im on 10mg, the start up side affects

were nowere near how the start up side affects were when i was on the zoloft, zoloft was the worst AD that

i have ever tried LOL it made me so so sick! and i know you had probs with it to!

Anyway the lex seems to be doing well and the 6mg ok klonopin 3 times daily and xanax "as needed"

looks like i might have found teh right med combo, however im hoping to just be on the lex and no benzos

in the near future but there is notthing wrong with always having them there when you need them!

Hope this helps Joyce and i hope you are getting better keep me posted

or PM if you want to chat more about the meds i think were quite the same

regarding sensitivitie to AD's

Take care always

Jayman! :shocked:

Edited by Jay_Man