Sign in to follow this  
SerenityForever

Starting Prozac Again....question ??

I was taking Lexapro for about 4 years and it kinda stopped working for me. I took Prozac many years ago for at least 8 years and it worked great for me with no side effects. I went to my phychiatrist yesturday and asked him if I could go back on the Prozac being it had worked so well for me in the past and would it work again . He said definetly yes!! The same thing had happened to me when taking Paxil for many years it fizzled out on me. Anyway my question is has anyone ever been on Lexapro and then started taking Prozac. He is weaning me off the Lexapro by making me take 10mg. instead of the 20 mg. I was taking and then taking the Prozac 20 mg. with the 10mg. of Lexapro. He said after 2 weeks to stop the Lexapro completely and continue with the Prozac. I was wondering if anyone had similiar experiences with weaning off of any other anti-depressants and then getting on Prozac ? Even if it isnt Lexapro can you maybe share with me how you were weaned off of whatever AD and then put on Prozac ? Thanks everyone !! :hearts:

Hi,

I was weaned off of lexapro and onto paxil in the past and

I had no problems with it. My pdoc slowly decreased my

lexapro while starting my paxil at a low dose and we just

kept changing doses every two weeks until I had completely

switched to the paxil. I didnt have any problems or side

effects coming off the lexapro. I hope things work for you!

best wishes,

starr

starr,

Thanks for the reassurance! So far I am doing well with no side effects. If you dont mind me asking how many mgs. of Lexapro were you on and were you weaned off the Lexapro in 2 weeks as my dr. is doing it? I know they all do it differently but was just wondering your experience. Thanks again :hearts:

Hi SerenityForever,

I stopped taking Citalopram last year as it stopped working for me. I went on to Prozac which was not or m and after 6 months went back onto Citalopram which is working me for ok

after a 6 month break.

So you should have a good experience with the switck back to Prozac after your break. It took about 2/3 weeks to get the full effects for me.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Hi again,

I dont remember the dosage of lexapro but it was the maximum

dose I know that. I tapered off over a two-week period with

no problems whatsoever. By the way I am on prozac now

with abilify and I feel the best I have in 20 years!

best wishes,

starr

Hi there.

I had my doc switch me off prozac (this back in late 2008) and to celexa but without tapering off the first. I was a bit alarmed and asked several times if that's a good idea but the doc was adamant so I did it. It didn't end well and I ultimately had to get off the celexa. Since your doc is having you go down gradually you shouldn't experience this though (I hope?). But I wanted to post this just because it the switch was so not ok in my case. If you start feeling funny, get in touch with your doc right away and let them know exactly what's changed.

Thank you ALL for your sharing your experiences! I have been doing very well on starting the Prozac over again. By the 3rd. day all my racing thoughts that used to go on 24/7 in my head had stopped and it felt strange cause I hadnt felt like that in so long! I was truly amazed. I have noticed that my energy level has gotten better also. All in all it is working wonders. Kinda wish I had thought of doing this 6 months ago...lol Again thanks for all the support . You people are wonderful. Couldnt have done it without you guys!!