• 3 weeks later...

Hi I been taking Venlafaxine for one and a half years. Now I'm quitting those crap I'm on 37.5mg pill every other day and I have only two more pills to go! I'm feeling deadly.. these withdrawals are horrible. I be wanting to sleep for the next month, my life's in slow motion. It's hard to sleep at night then even more harder to wake up in the morning. Every inch of my body is aching so bad. I'm hungry but can't eat cause I'm nauseous. I'm dizzy and wake up in a cold sweat every time I fall asleep, after having a weird crazy dream.

My doctor never mentioned those withdrawals or I wouldn't have taken these crapy pills. I regret that I went to the doctor and I agreed to use those pills!!! I feel like it's all my fault now. I be wanting to cry for every little thing......

My life's ***ed up right now. Dunno if my relationship is going to end up also!!!!! Why do I have to live like THIS...:sadwalk:  :no:   

Any positive advice plz????  :bomb:

17 hours ago, UMI said:

Hi I been taking Venlafaxine for one and a half years. Now I'm quitting those crap I'm on 37.5mg pill every other day and I have only two more pills to go! I'm feeling deadly.. these withdrawals are horrible. I be wanting to sleep for the next month, my life's in slow motion. It's hard to sleep at night then even more harder to wake up in the morning. Every inch of my body is aching so bad. I'm hungry but can't eat cause I'm nauseous. I'm dizzy and wake up in a cold sweat every time I fall asleep, after having a weird crazy dream.

My doctor never mentioned those withdrawals or I wouldn't have taken these crapy pills. I regret that I went to the doctor and I agreed to use those pills!!! I feel like it's all my fault now. I be wanting to cry for every little thing......

My life's ***ed up right now. Dunno if my relationship is going to end up also!!!!! Why do I have to live like THIS...:sadwalk:  :no:   

Any positive advice plz????  :bomb:

The brain zaps will come eventually and they are horrific. when u want to go off SSRIs u have to taper down very very gradually. even that, u'd go through hell. bear with it. it might take up to two months after totally stopping it. it happened to me and it will pass

3 hours ago, Forties said:

The brain zaps will come eventually and they are horrific. when u want to go off SSRIs u have to taper down very very gradually. even that, u'd go through hell. bear with it. it might take up to two months after totally stopping it. it happened to me and it will pass

I was taking 150mg every day for one and half years. Then started to taper down by taking  112.5mg  for a month, then 75mg for another month and 37.5mg thru two weeks & now I'm on 37.5mg every other day for two weeks. But the withdrawals are Scary. I'm barely 21 right now... I might be  too young for these pills. Lol   :mad1:

• 1 month later...

I tapered down with the advice of my P doc and now I'm 3 days off Effexor. My stomach is upset and I'm a lot more anxious than usual but it's honestly not that bad. I don't know if it's because I'm so young or if the effects are going to come later. I heard the third day is the worst so I'm crossing my fingers. 

• 1 month later...

My doctor switched me from Effexor 75 mg to Wellbutrin 150 mg 10 days ago. I had been on the Effexor for six months. To do the switch I took half of my ususal E. dose for one week together with the W. full dose, then just the W starting three dats ago. At first only slightly lightheaded. Yesterday started having severe withdrawal symptoms for the first time...nausea and extreme dizziness, sweats, blurred vision. Basically I feel horribly motion sick all the time (you know, like you are on a bumpy plane and at the the point just before you start throwing up). Listening to my body, it's asking for only parsley, citrus and steamed cabbage, all of which I ate and successfully kept down today -- apart from that, nothing but water. I supect that liver detox supplements will also help and have started taking medicinal earth (Luvos brand, imutox type which is specifically for absorbing and removing organic and inorganic poisons and toxins from the liver thereby helping speed up the metabolism and removal of this drug from the body. Also omega 3 plus 6 and 9, plus vitamin b complex. Too soon to tell whether all this will help yet but I do feel somewhat better now several hours after taking these supplements and eating the above whole foods.  Maybe that's a good sign! Best to all,

Daisyrain

Well here I am after 3 months... yeah I was complaining earlier about how horrible these pills are...but it's been 3 months since I quit Effexor... Now I'm doing really good :Coopyahoo:

Tbh those withdrawals didn't last for too long. I started feeling better in like 5 days. But I noticed that everything got worse if I was starving...those headaches, nauseous feeling and yeah everything. All I have to say is you have to eat whatever you like to eat.. don't starve, even though you feel disgusted about food sometimes! (I was feeling like that honestly)

Be strong. You can fight these withdrawals, no matter how many times you've felt like you're about to die..!!

Wish you all the Best of Luck...!!! :party:

Ack. Coming off VEN wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be but it still sucked hard. I didn't lose my mind but just cried - a lot. Couldn't really do much either and felt very lonely. Having people about makes the world of difference.

Unfortunately circumstances in my life aren't any better than when I went on VEN so go figure. I have more bad days - and life is twice as hard without it despite it half-pooping out when I was on it.

Still occasionally get those brain zappers every now and then a few months down the line. So I figure my neurotransmission is still a little botched up.

I'd never go back to it. It was amazing -but frankly, if it pooped out then there's little point in going back IMO. Plus there's the whole transient disassociative fog it causes, bowel issues, headaches and sleepiness. Small price to pay for the relief but evidently like every other AD the therapeutic action is crude.

I'd probably rather give duloxetine a try if it comes to going back to ADs. I hear it's in the same ballpark but SNRIs seem to be more efficacious for anxious depression going by venlafaxine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading all of these responses and getting upset because everyone talks about gradually cutting the dose over a period of time. My doctor said for me to take half my dose for a week with 20mg of Prozac then discontinue the effexor ! I am feeling terrible and worried about working Tuesday . These feelings are debilitating at times and have had me really scared. Had I known that this was such a terrible drug I never would have gone on it.  Any advice on how to tame the side effect Desmond please let me know. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

The only advice is please never go cold turkey. The side effects can be compared to coming off of a hardcore drug. I have shakes, dizziness, restlessness, night terrors hiluciations and the dreaded brain zaps. These side effects lasted a good month 

please tapper off venlafaxine!!

• 1 month later...

I might be done with effexor after a month. Its just too stimulating, bowel cramps, temper flares. It seemed to be doing some good, but I guess a month is long enough to know. I will stay on 30 mg of mirtazapine till later on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going off effexor 75mg after only 2 months.  My dr is switching me to 150mg wellbutrin but said that I probably shouldn't have withdrawal problems since I only took it for 2 months.  Since I didn't have a lot of crazy initial side effects with effexor, other than tiredness, bowel issues, and sweating, I thought I'll give it a try.  I never had head zaps, headaches, anything weird.  

So last night I didn't take the effexor knowing I would be starting the WB today.  Slept fine, but had a pretty good headache this morning and slept pretty late.  Now I'm pretty dizzy, so I'm going to give some ginger tea a go, or some benadryl.  Headache is manageable though.   

I do still have some 37.5mg effexor with me, so I could possibly take one tonight if I think I need to do it.  But with my past experience with medications, when I taper it just prolongs the agony.  I could suffer through 3 or 4 weeks of weaning and miserable feelings or just 5 days.  I'm more of a rip the bandaids girl.  

update of day two of withdrawal :  Just dizzy. Dramamine helps more than benadryl.  Otherwise, no other symptoms. Feel fine.  Actually fine enough to drive, just dizzy when I"m walking, so it's not at all horrendous for me.   Also, part of the dizzy could actually be starting the wellbutrin.  Talked to a friend today who also stopped effexor a few months ago. She just stopped cold turkey and had nothing at all for withdrawal.

So my take on this, you might not have a bad time withdrawing from effexor.  

Update on day 3 of withdrawal: I'm starting to believe that the dizziness is the wellbutrin, not the effects of withdrawing from the effexor.  I don't have any symptoms at all until I take the WB in the morning, and then any dizziness is gone by about 10 at night.  

So I'm going to go with cold turkey withdrawing from 75mg of effexor (after short term use)  has been a non-issue.  

• 9 months later...

I was told that my Effexor XR 225 mg would not be long term. It has not helped me at all after 6 months of taking the medication. I have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I am now one week out from stopping my medication. After many hours of research on the medication and all psychiatric-medication in general. My opinion is that all psychiatric-meds are worthless. Yes, they may help in mood for whatever issue you may have. However, psychiatric-meds are the only medications advertised as cure that don't actually cure anything. What they do accomplish is make the person dependent on a pill just to feel "normal". Then, if and when they no longer help they (psychiatrists) change your medication so that you can still feel "normal" but no-less dependent. its a vicious cycle. 

I liken this horrific experience to the illustration of assuming that sobriety is the disease which is then treated with alcohol. Makes you feel "normal" for a time but no-less dependent. I have much respect for my psychiatrist as a person, but have lost all confidence in the profession of psychiatry - it is a disingenuous profession. But who can blame them? the salary is outstanding!

I am having horrific withdraws from stopping the medication cold turkey - but I wasn't going to put another poisonous pill in my system. I will take this head on with a smile! (stopping cold-turkey is not recommended - its just my way of doing things) 

I will be having my appointment soon. It usually meant upping my dose of Effexor XR. This visit? I will be the one "uping" the medication... right up a few psychiatrists back sides. Have a wonderful day.

• 3 months later...

Jazzyjohn, I fully agree with you.  I was on these poison pills for over 20 years, convinced by my doc that I would need them for the rest of my life.  I took Effexor and then added Wellbutrin.  The side effects were horrible, weight gain and high blood pressure, but the doctor was so sure I would always need them...  I hated the blasted things but the withdrawal was so severe, I kept taking them.  Until I saw a documentary about illegal drug.  After taking illegal drug for a while, users get no effect from continued use, but they continue taking it just to be able to function and to avoid withdrawal.  DANG!  I was doing the same thing with my meds.  That day I went cold turkey.  It was every bit as horrible as everyone has talked about.  But I was determined to get off the poison and used the omega 3 and vitamin regimen to help.  I am 5 weeks clean, still have minor withdrawal effects such as sleeplessness and crying easily, but I have watched what I eat and drink, hydrating obsessively and I am proud to say that it CAN be done. It is true that you have to avoid sugar and caffeine like they carried plague. I told everyone that I had a virus for about 3 weeks until I was over the worst of the withdrawal symptoms and no one knows that I have stopped the meds.  From reading other posts, I have determined that tapering does little except prolong the agony.  I advocate ripping off the bandage and going cold turkey.  That being said, don't be stupid.  If you need the drug, take it.  There is no reason to quit if you are not ready to quit.  Please remember, psych drugs poison your body and long-term use can have permanent negative effects.  Weigh that carefully in your decision to take, quit or change drugs.

• 1 month later...

I am on my second day without Effexor XR 75mg. I had been on it for over a year at varying doses. I did not stop by choice but rather because I ran out and don't currently have a doctor in my new city to refill it. If brain zaps kind of feel like someone running their fingers through blinds but in your brain then I have been experiencing those, as well as bouts of anger and panic, shaking, restlessness and such. I have been taking my Clonazepam twice a day to try to counteract those symptoms but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm new to forums and but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or can relate to what I'm describing. 

Edited by Kelly21Techie
add more information

• 1 month later...

I'm amazed ! You say : "Most of us will have to come off Effexor XR(Efexor XL in the UK) at some time or other".      My Dr. told me that i must take it forever. I am on my 13th year of 75mg 2 times a day.  Basically Depression is gone about 7 years completely !      I assumed that the mental and body fatigue I have 3 or4 times a week is "Depression", yet I have no negative thoughts at all 7 years.    Its the side effects of the pill Effexor. Including a bunch of other side effects it gives me, like doubling my weight from 120 lbs. at age 57 to 240 lbs atage 65! If anything bothers me its the excess weight.                               My Question is :  IF I take 75 mg 2 times a day, HOW much should i stop taking, how often?  I'm in no rush, at my age I have patience ! But so do i hate the side effects.   Many Thanks

[image of man asleep on sofa with phrase 'Medical reasons why you are feeling tired and fatigued all the time.']

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove image