Sign in to follow this  
SophiaG

Caffeine And Depression

Does Caffeine help to ease depression? I find that when I'm depressed and I drink some Coffee it makes me feel better. Coffee is an upper, depression is a downer. Makes sense that it'd make me feel better right?

Does Caffeine help even just if its only for the short term?

I do believe it`s an depressant. It`s an upper, but one you come quickly down from. I had to quit it completely, as it really didn`t do me any favors, except from raising me up to frantically energic for a short while. But I`m Bipolar and unstable enough as it is. In the "One step at the time" forum here far down on the page, there`s a pinned topic from the admin. called "Treatment & Support - Depression, Self-help tips" which says, I quote;

Some experts recommend avoiding excess sugar, white flour, alcohol, and caffeine because they can throw off your energy levels.

I`ve done a little research and it seems like the general opinion agrees with this, because it`s a stimulant..

If you have a therapist, you could ask whether or not he/she believes that coffee would be good for you, or at least not harmful your condition in consideration.

Caffeine is generally bad when depressed I find - Partically for your anxiety. My doctor told me to cut Caffeine out totally. I do not drink Coffee but I do love Tea, I have lessened the amount I drink but I still need a few cups a day!

Wow, I started having more than two coffees a day at work a couple of months back. Over the last month I've noticed I am VERY anxious sometimes and have horrible nerve trouble. Today I stuck to just two coffees and I feel great.

Just something like that can affect your problems!

After my last post saying I never drink Coffee I thought I would post back and say I had a massive Mocha today! I usually dislike Coffee but gave this a go and I really liked it. I hope I dnt get too into Coffee now!. That and tea will not be good!

Caffiene and depression....Hmmmmm...!!!

I don't find it a depressant, nor do I experience a "drop" as the stimulant effects wear off. However, caffiene does TOTALLY effect my anxiety. Talked with my pdoc about this today. Well, actually, we were talking about the effects of Trazodone and my waking/functioning. She acutally SUGGESTED that I have a cup of coffee in the mornings to offset the "hangover" effects of Traz. I told her "fine, I already do". She responded that that was quite alright!

When I wake up in the a.m. after taking Traz(+sometimes ambien) I can definitely be in a "fuzz". I prepare my coffee forthe morning the night before. Get up and get it in the morning and return to bed for an hour of news, planning, contemplation, meditation. One whole hour I allow myself nothing more than a large coffee, a few cigs, private time, and fog lifting. The pdoc said "hey, what a plan"!

I also take .5mg with the a.m. coffee. For some this may not be good, but it settles any angst from the coffee, and prepares me for a little/no anxiety ridden day.

Deepster

I've had depression since 12 and been drinking caffeine regularly since before then. It was sweet tea as a child and coffee since mid 20's. If I have learned anything about my caffeine intake and how it effects my moods, it is that the caffeine combined with the sugar effects my blood sugar, which in turn effects my moods. When your blood sugar levels fluctuate so much it is bound to have an effect on your mood. Just my experiences though.

2-3 cups coffee a day, and 5 or so soft drinks/day, and I'm a member of this forum. So, I would have to wonder if there is a relation between caffeine and my problems. :hearts:

2-3 cups coffee a day, and 5 or so soft drinks/day, and I'm a member of this forum. So, I would have to wonder if there is a relation between caffeine and my problems. :flowers:

All that caffiene......and Sugar? Oh, my!

Go a day without it and see what happens. :hearts:

Deepster

2-3 cups coffee a day, and 5 or so soft drinks/day, and I'm a member of this forum. So, I would have to wonder if there is a relation between caffeine and my problems. :flowers:

All that caffiene......and Sugar? Oh, my!

Go a day without it and see what happens. :hearts:

Deepster

I need to try that! I may feel normal...........Tomorrow, maybe...... :hearts:

I've been a caffeine addict for years and never thought much of it. But as Deepster mentioned, if I so much as not drink coffee for a few hours things can get really awry. It wasn't until early last year that I researched caffeine more closely and was appalled to find it classified as one of the most addictive drugs ever. For sure getting off of it for me is much harder than getting off something like vicodin and I try to remember that when I take a trip to the coffee maker to get yet another cup..

As for whether it helps depression or not, I think that varies for everyone and maybe it does a little bit of both. Some research I had looked into a while ago found caffeine to interfere with the beneficial effects of ADs so if that is true then it's more of a bad than a good drug for those who are depressed. Anyway it definitely gives you a jolt whether that counts as good or bad.

I find that it does help me... in fact I find that having a triple espresso in the morning (grande Americano at Starbucks) does actually help me quite a bit... and normal coffee doesn't really do it for me anymore... Its an expensive habit!

Caffeine almost always makes me feel better, at least temporarily, but it's a delicate balance. It affects both my blood pressure and tinnitus (ringing in the ears), adversely, so I do better without it. I keep my intake very low; morning coffee is about 80% decaf, and I don't have any caffeine after lunch. If I have caffeine after lunch, I feel fine in the afternoon and evening, and still feel fine and very awake hours after I usually go to sleep. Then, the next day, I'm tired and have to resist that urge to consume a lot of caffeine to compensate.

I would give it up completely, but it does help me feel better in the morning, and I've read that caffeine can give you a nice emotional boost. When I'm really feeling bad, though, caffeine doesn't seem to have any effect, though.

Since posting a couple of weeks ago about having a small amount of caffeine in the morning, I've gone off coffee completely. I miss that boost I get with it, but overall I feel more better and more even throughout the day. Now I don't get that overwhelming urge to nap in the afternoon and my blood pressure is lower (that's a good thing for me!).

Even better, it's easier to get up in the morning. I still enjoy hot decaf coffee or hot herbal tea in the morning, but I'm not groggy to start out.

Last week, both my doctor and therapist told me I'm much better off without the caffeine, both physically and emotionally. I still like caffeine, but I'd rather feel good all day than have the quick temporary jolt. As will everything, this might be different for others.

When my meds stopped working and my anxiety started to come back full force, coffee made it worse. I haven't had a cup of coffee since the beginning of August. I am now an avid tea drinker (decaf) and love it. There was a time when I didn't think I would get through the day without a cup of coffee.. but here I am! :)

Interesting subject about "caffeine". I never noticed one way or the other if it was a problem. I am a HUGE coffee drinker. But if I go without it...I don't notice anything. Now, that the question has been brooched, I will pay more attention to that part.

Thanks for the question...

MEZ