Will I Ever Enjoy Anything I Did Again?

Hey everyone,

Hope youre all doing well today and coping and getting better, step by step.

I was just wandering was there anything you used to love or love doing before you became depressed that you now dont enjoy 100% like you did before?

Like the fun has been sucked out of it and it just "isnt the same"?

For me it was a couple of little things, nothing as serious as I'm sure other people are experiencing, but I used to have a favourite game on my Xbox which I'd love to play and look forward to and just relax, now I'm like "Pfft, whats the point..." or I used to/still do LOVE High School Musical films and all the soundtracks but now instead when I have the CDs on in the car, it reminds me of the times before depression kicked in, before all the emotion was sucked from me and it upsets me because I want to remenis over all my good memories, instead I want to cry because I cant feel anything. Also I used to love going to clubs (rock/metal ones) but now I dont see the point in it.

Please share your experiences,

Take care x

Hey,

Pretty much everything actually. I used to go to concerts and the theatre, do sport....lots of things. Now I just feel like I can't be bothered and want to be at home. Oh and holidays - travelling was my one passion and it all seems to difficult now. xx

Hey,

Pretty much everything actually. I used to go to concerts and the theatre, do sport....lots of things. Now I just feel like I can't be bothered and want to be at home. Oh and holidays - travelling was my one passion and it all seems to difficult now. xx

Aaaaw, I'm so sorry to hear that :( Its just that horrible feeling of not looking forward to one of your favourite activites and just seeing straight past it, sorta like "meh, whats next?" ? :( xxx

I used to love reading a lot. I still do, actually. But all throughout my life, any time I ever felt depressed or lonely, I could take refuge in a good book. But lately I find myself unable to concentrate enough to read. In fact, even though I still read a bit and enjoy what I read sometimes, for the past two years I've found it difficult to become as engrossed by books as I used to. The only thing that used to help me during times of sadness no longer suffices. :hearts:

hey Angelofthemoor, I feel the same too. I have this book about overcoming depression, infact thats what the books called, but the ironic thing is, because of my depression, I dont have the concentration to read it :( Ive had it for months but cant get past a few pages without feeling overwhelmed.

and Im sorry to hear this Charlie brownest, I , as many others on here know how you feel, I hope one day, we can all enjoy the things we used to before we became so depressed.

xxx

I used to Love football and played for 20 years and watched for 22 years, now I dont care about it and dont care about the World cup next year. I also used to love going to church but no longer go. Lack confidence and concentration to do these things now.

Hey everyone,

I was just wandering was there anything you used to love or love doing before you became depressed that you now dont enjoy 100% like you did before?

For me it was a couple of little things, nothing as serious as I'm sure other people are experiencing, but I used to have a favourite game on my Xbox which I'd love to play and look forward to and just relax, now I'm like "Pfft, whats the point..." or I used to/still do LOVE High School Musical films and all the soundtracks but now instead when I have the CDs on in the car, it reminds me of the times before depression kicked in, before all the emotion was sucked from me and it upsets me because I want to remenis over all my good memories, instead I want to cry because I cant feel anything. Also I used to love going to clubs (rock/metal ones) but now I dont see the point in it.

Take care x

You know that question on depression screening test: Do you not enjoy things that you previous enjoyed? I don't know if I remember enjoying anything! It seems that I have always had to make myself do things. I have spent my life faking it. I have had a couple of glimpses at what might be. I felt that I woke up but then it was gone again.

Red53

I go to college, finished my bachelor's degree while in depression. I had to take a one year break midway because of the depression. When I began my degree I was really passionate about the subject. Because of the depression the passion has dropped significantly, and I had to force myself to go back. The interest is coming back gradually and I started a master degree on the same subject. Medication helped a lot regarding concentration issues I have. Now I can't say my interest for the subject is necessarily 100% of what it was, but i'm not aiming for that since I've changed enormously since my depression started and the "old" me is not something I want to recreate.

A lot of the things i do now do not really fulfill me but i do them anyways because i think it's much better than sitting at home and ruminate.

I think that enjoying things comes in time, once we learn to manage our mental health and recover from the depression. It really tends to rob us of enjoying ourselves and the company of others like we once had or wished we once had. I really think what happens is that our minds get so caught up in the struggle of how we feel, that we potentially "psych" ourselves out before we even do anything that remotely could trigger our depression or anxiety.

I know in my case, once I had the anxiety hit, it pretty much lingered with me throughout the day and interfered with the things I would normally do. I had a hard time even picking up the phone when my friends called. That kind of thing sticks with you and almost causes a fear response that reminds us to feel anxious or depressed even though there's no real reason to feel such a way. I know depression and anxiety are real illnesses, but a certain aspect of it has to do with our own learned responses to the illness and the triggers. Once a trigger happens, it's hard to learn to be ok around that trigger again. Since really anything can trigger us, and most times does, it can cause a whole range of irrational fear responses.

In time it gets better. I know since I've been feeling better, things have really improved and I'm enjoying things I did once again.

I don't seem to enjoy reading as much. I still constantly buy new books though. Just collecting books seems to have become more of a hobby for me. I tried reading tonight and couldn't focus at all.

I hardly feel like doing anything anymore. I'm usually just watching tv or on the computer. I hate it.

Loss of interest in hobbies is very common. I used to love reading but it's been a while since I've finished a book (or started one for that matter). I also used to listen to a lot of music but now I find that my mind wanders and by the end of the disc I haven't registered anything. It used to hold my attention from start to finish. My reaction to films and television from the 1990's is a bit different. Although there is that sad feeling that they are from a time before my depression became a really serious problem, I find that they tend to cause some sort of weird nostalgia. It's like I'm trying to relive the "good old days" through them.

Loss of interest in hobbies is very common. I used to love reading but it's been a while since I've finished a book (or started one for that matter). I also used to listen to a lot of music but now I find that my mind wanders and by the end of the disc I haven't registered anything. It used to hold my attention from start to finish. My reaction to films and television from the 1990's is a bit different. Although there is that sad feeling that they are from a time before my depression became a really serious problem, I find that they tend to cause some sort of weird nostalgia. It's like I'm trying to relive the "good old days" through them.

I guess I must be getting better because I couldn't read a book for a couple of years. This summer I have started reading again. I don't feel that it gives me much enjoyment but I'll do it instead of sleeping or staring at the tv. If I just sit in front of the tv I feel worse. The noise annoys me but I'll still just sit there.

Anyway, the point is that you will read again and you will be able to enjoy your music again. I try to remind myself to take baby steps and not think about what was, instead to think about my small goals for the day. Today I wanted to get my dog out for a walk before 10 am. It was more like 10:30 and I had to fight a stomach ache but I did get out. Of course the stomach ache is gone now.

Baby steps.

red53

since i became depressed i lost interest for pretty much everything besides self Medicating.. Its the only thing i still enjoy really...its my only medecine against depression

Edited by Lindsay
Inapropriate and against TOS

since i became depressed i lost interest for pretty much everything besides self Medicating.. Its the only thing i still enjoy really...its my only medecine against depression

I self medicated for about a year.Whenever I felt sad or things got on top of me,i took either painkillers or sleeping tablets to make me sleep.Over time I needed more and more before they would kick in.I don't really know what made me stop.I still have bad days where I reach for them if I feel that familiar anger/sadness.But I can't even look at a tablet now without feeling sick.Literally I can taste the horrible pill taste just thinking about them and it makes me feel sick.It might make you feel better for a while,but there will come a time where it won't.I know you probably know this too but self medicating is so dangerous.Have you been to a doctor to try proper medication?

I know I wouldn't have liked to have listened to this advice a few months ago but it would be worth talking to a doctor to see if they can prescribe anything that will safely help you :)

You know I did find one thing that really did help me through my times of trouble. It was the only thing that really never lost my interest and in all honesty got me through some of the worst times.

That thing being music.

I can't stress enough the healing power or "uplifting" nature of music that we enjoy. It certainly helped me so I thought I would share that.

You know I did find one thing that really did help me through my times of trouble. It was the only thing that really never lost my interest and in all honesty got me through some of the worst times.

That thing being music.

I can't stress enough the healing power or "uplifting" nature of music that we enjoy. It certainly helped me so I thought I would share that.

Even music won't help me. :hearts:

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

Take care x

I used to do a lot with my children. Feed the ducks, go outside, go to the park, go to the gym, swim, go to any events in the area. I have to force myself to do these things now. It's really really, hard...