Sign in to follow this  
Forum Admin

Welcome to the Prozac (also marketed as Sarafem and Fluoxetine) forum!

Hi dibrom,

How long have you been on Prozac? Unfortunately many types of psychiatric drugs have dry mouth as a side effect. My pdoc suggested chewing gum or putting a little zest of lemon in a place (like next to the gum near your molars) in your mouth. I have tried both as they increase salivation.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

In response to Asian Moulder....

I know exactly how you feel- Im a Probation officer, I work in partnership with the agencies offering me support- I was ashamed and ignored it for as long as possible when i first got my job, i was terrified incase my employers found out and I lost my job.

But then I had a period of severe depression this summer and I very nearly died. At which point I had to stop being proud and let in the proffesionals- who are doing a great job. (Im a bit rebellious sometimes and not keen to comply with my meds all the time!)

I hope you will feel able to accept your depression as time goes on- it does get easier.

Re: prozac- I first took this when i was 17 as I was severly depressed and starting with an eating disorder.

At first it made me abit :hearts: but then began to work- but not for long.

They took me off it and on to something else.

Few years later I experienced periods of high mood, and the pyschiatrist told me not to take prozac as it increased high mood.

Then they put me back on it 3 yrs later!! Howevr it did work and relieved the symptoms of my depression- its just that it keeps coming back!! so i may have to look to Lithium or other mood stabilizer.. once they decide what diagnosis to give me like!! :bump:

Obvioulsy this is just my personal experience with it, everyones different and is affected differently

Welcome to the Prozac Forum, LittleBear,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Prozac. I hope your pdoc can come up with a good diagnosis for you.

:hearts: hi as most people say i am feeling kinda shy opening up here, but i have only just found this site, i have been suffering depression for approx 5 years and only got help this april i have been on fluoxetine since then, i started on 20 and now take 40 a day.

my question is when the tablets run out and i go get new ones (sometimes from a different pharmacy) they come in a different coloured capsule could this effect me!! just i have been on the same ones and have been doing fine and last week even talked about reducing my intake in a few weeks, but last week i got different ones and i feel so crap this week and i wondered if this had anything to do with it!!!

wow does that acrually make any sense??

my answer to others comments is that i lost weight had the bad stomach and headaches, that has all stoped, well not the headaches, but i still feel very anxious quite alot!!

if anyone has anyidea what i am trying to say (cause i not sure i do ) please help x :bump:

Welcome, nbbwnoo!

I'm shy about opening up to others also, but I feel safe here at DF. Everyone understands.

As for the different appearance of your meds: first check it out with your pharmacist, but my guess is you may have gone from the name-brand to the generic form, or vice-versa. Even though the main medication is the same, some people notice a different response. In any case, let your doc know - s/he may want to specify the brand-name if you seem to respond to it better.

Let us know how it works out; and I hope you're feeling better soon...

Hi everyone,

I have one quesion.

It says that Fluoxetine can interact wit asprin and ibuprofen. I have this tooth pain, so what kind of pills can I take for my pain that will not interact with fluoxetine?

I have been talking it for a day and don't feel any side efects.

Thank you

Welcome, nbbwnoo!

I'm shy about opening up to others also, but I feel safe here at DF. Everyone understands.

As for the different appearance of your meds: first check it out with your pharmacist, but my guess is you may have gone from the name-brand to the generic form, or vice-versa. Even though the main medication is the same, some people notice a different response. In any case, let your doc know - s/he may want to specify the brand-name if you seem to respond to it better.

Let us know how it works out; and I hope you're feeling better soon...

hi thanks for your reply nice to know your not alone!!

i went to the chemist and was told that it was more than likely the case that i had reaction to a different brand, i also asked my doctor who just talked to me like i was mad!!! really helpful, not!!

anyway i have been reading lots on here and its just so nice to finally understand that i am not alone in so many ways, seeing that others have the same side effects (which i hadnt even put down to the tablets) just makes me feel a bit more normal.

i have changed my medication back and am feeling so much better, thanks for taking the time to reply :hearts:

:hearts: to DF and the Prozac Forum, c ralu,

As far as what type of over the counter pain medication, check with your pharmacist. They know what you can take with no interaction with Prozac. I have taken Tylenol with Prozac and it seemed ok.

Sheepwoman :bump:

:hearts: to DF and the Prozac Forum, c ralu,

As far as what type of over the counter pain medication, check with your pharmacist. They know what you can take with no interaction with Prozac. I have taken Tylenol with Prozac and it seemed ok.

I'll do that. Thank you

Hi there. I've introduced myself before in the new members' area. I've been trying to keep myself on an even keel without meds, with the support of my psychologist, but my self-help plan seems to have hit the skids.

I had my first appointment with a GP today, and ended up with a double appointment for next week and a prescription for Fluoxetine 20MG caps; one each morning. Maybe i scared her as much as i've been scaring myself recently.

I'm incredibly apprehensive about this, as i've never been in favour of meds. However, i need help - i'm just not cutting it on my own. I guess i've a lot of reading to do in here today.

Hi there. I've introduced myself before in the new members' area. I've been trying to keep myself on an even keel without meds, with the support of my psychologist, but my self-help plan seems to have hit the skids.

I had my first appointment with a GP today, and ended up with a double appointment for next week and a prescription for Fluoxetine 20MG caps; one each morning. Maybe i scared her as much as i've been scaring myself recently.

I'm incredibly apprehensive about this, as i've never been in favour of meds. However, i need help - i'm just not cutting it on my own. I guess i've a lot of reading to do in here today.

hey dont feel alone, i felt like that for such a long time, i was like you in the fact that i tried not to go down the medication route but hey after 5 years i decided something had to give! i am on fluoxetine and it took me about 3 months to come to terms with it, i was so embaressed i didnt tell hardly anyone, now am i slowly feeling better i understand the need for them and stuff what anyone else might think, at least in the end your gonna have a happier life!!! i have been taking these for 6 months now and although my doctor said i will probably be on them for about a year to 18 months i had planned (in my head) that by now i would be off them, infact its the opposite and i have now doubled dose but do feel better!!!

all i will say is i did feel worse b4 i felt better, although that isnt the case for all, but do stick with it cause now i see light at the end of the tunnel!!! good luck x :hearts:

:hearts: to the Prozac Room, Ekavlije,

There is a lot of information about Prozac in here. I know taking meds at first can be scary. However, they do help in many ways. This med will definitely help with depression and any anxiety issues you may have. There are some start-up side effects that may take a week or so to get over but not all of us have side-effects. Let us know how you are feeling on Prozac. It may take as much as 8 weeks to get the full benefit for this med. Believe me it does help. I was on it for 10-12 years and it worked fine.

Welcome to the Prozac room, researcher.

Prozac has helped a good many people with depression, so we don't all share your views. Did you have a bad experience or did it do nothing for you?

Guest sarah-nicole

Well............I am back...........I have been on prozac before earlier this year but quit in July.

Just started again this morning............20 mgr/day............feeling quite nauseous today, but that I know will pass, it happend last time too :hearts:

I POSTED MY FIRST POST HERE WHEN I JUST STARTED ON PROZAC ONLY 4 DAYS AND WAS STARTING TO FEEL BETTER.THIS CONTINUED AND AFTER 4 MONTHS I FEEL A LOT HAPPIER ABOUT LIFE.IM CALM AND IM NOT WORRYING ABOUT ALL THE SILLY THINGS THAT I HAD BEEN.I USED TO THINK SO DEEPLY ABOUT LIFE AND HAD LOST ALL INTEREST IN THINGS.I HAVE FOUND THAT PEOPLE ARE TALKING TO ME MORE AND I THINK THIS IS TO DO WITH MY MOOD NOW.I WAS AT A TRAINING COURSE AT MY WORK WHERE YOU HAD TO TALK OUT AND I FOUND THAT I MANAGED TO COPE ALL RIGHT,OK I STILL DON'T LIKE IT BUT WITHOUT THE PROZAC I THINK I WOULD HAVE PHONED IN SICK TO AVOID GOING.SO ANYONE THAT HAS JUST STARTED PLEASE STAY WITH IT BECAUSE IT CHANGES THINGS FOR THE BETTER.JUST ONE QUESTION? I WENT ON HOLIDAY AND HAD A FEW PINTS OF alcohol AND THIS DIDN'T EFFECT MY MOOD AND FELT OK.I KNOW YOU SHOULDN'T DRINK WHILE ON THE MEDS BUT I WAS TOLD AT A MEDICAL THAT A LITTLE IS OK BUT NOT TO OVER DO IT.SO IM WANTING SOME ADVICE ON THIS AS CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR IS COMING UP.THANKS ECHO.

What are the chanes of me getting anger / rage from Fluoxetine? (20mg once daily)

Im also on propranolol for anxiety (40mg 2x daily) and for the last few days i've felt like im about to get really angry. :S

Should i take them or not.. :/

It's best you discuss the anger issue with your pdoc. It could be a side-effect of Prozac, but I'm not a professional and cannot truthfully answer your question. Prozac is also used for anxiety. Propnaenol (Inderal) is one of those "multi-use" drugs that seems to work well for a lot of medical conditionas as well as for some mental health conditions.

Sorry that I could not be of much help. Welcome to the Prozac room.

It's best you discuss the anger issue with your pdoc. It could be a side-effect of Prozac, but I'm not a professional and cannot truthfully answer your question. Prozac is also used for anxiety. Propnaenol (Inderal) is one of those "multi-use" drugs that seems to work well for a lot of medical conditionas as well as for some mental health conditions.

Sorry that I could not be of much help. Welcome to the Prozac room.

I've not had any prozac yet and i feel kinda in a mood. Really snappy.

Maybe it's a mood change side effect from the propranolol.

Well I guess I'm joining you folks here. I finished my med study and I'm now being prescribed my first actual med...20mg of Fluoxetine. Just took the first little white capsule a little while ago. Weeeee!

So I get to start my med journey here.

:hearts: to the Prozac Room, Ekavlije,

There is a lot of information about Prozac in here. I know taking meds at first can be scary. However, they do help in many ways. This med will definitely help with depression and any anxiety issues you may have. There are some start-up side effects that may take a week or so to get over but not all of us have side-effects. Let us know how you are feeling on Prozac. It may take as much as 8 weeks to get the full benefit for this med. Believe me it does help. I was on it for 10-12 years and it worked fine.

Hi Sheepwoman~

Are you no longer taking Prozac? If not, what are you taking now, if anything?

Hi All~

I took Prozac for 10 years and it worked great for my mild depression! I had to go off last year due to preganancy but went back on after miscarriage. I experienced the most VILE start-up side effects on 20mg/daily, they were so bad I had to stop taking the med after 4 weeks.

I fell into a deep depression this year and went back on 2 weeks ago at 5mg/daily to let my body get used to the drug. It is amazing how this small dose can be so potent! I am experiencing all of the normal yucky side effects, but they are more tolerable at 5mg. I hope this drug works for me again, I've never experienced severe depression before, it is very, very scary.

Edited by lov4k9s

I'm on day 4 now ><; I've noticed minimal side effects if any at all. But my moods are all annoying. The first day was great I had a ton of energy and felt good. 2nd day I felt detached and depressed. Yesterday was other energetic and cheerful day. Today I feel like crap again and angry. I don't know if I keep going back and forth because of the new med...or if possibly part of withdrawl from the old one (if I was on an actual active med)...or both....or maybe it's just me. But it's annoying. I'm hoping this will start to level out.

Edited by TwilightZephyr