Sign in to follow this  
Forum Admin

****Welcome New Members!****

Hello Everyone, newbie here. I found this site by researching 27 years old alone and depressed. I'm 27 years old, male, alone, and depressed. I am a very quiet, shy person with low self-esteem. I don't really know why I am depressed, but I am. I keep everything to myself, but I don't think I can do that anymore. I feel like I need someone to talk to. I don't know if the death of both my parents have anything to do with my depression but as far as I can remember I have had really low self-esteem. I'm glad I joined this forum and hope to meet people that are going through the same things I'm going through. Well just watned to introduce myself. Thank you for leting me join this forum.

Hi and Welcome freebird0414 :welcomeani:

I am so glad that you have found us. Keeping everything inside is not always healthy and it is great that you want to let it out. DF is a great place for that and you will find a lot of support. I am sorry about the death of your parents. Depression is a part of grieving. We do have a password protected bereavement room here. If you feel it may benefit you, please pm any moderator or Admin for the password.

Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

Hello from a newbie!

I want to foremost thank everyone who has the courage to come to a site like this & discuss their feelings openly to complete strangers. I've learned that strangers have a better appreciation to how I feel versus my own family.

A quick history: I've been diagnosed with depression when I was 16; at 17 I overdosed on Prozac & nearly died. I was crying out for help from my family & no one listened. My mother watched as the doctor pumped my stomach. My issues mostly stem from my family; I feel like I am the outcast because of this "illness" as they say. Soon after high school, I started college & was put on Zoloft. From Zoloft I was on Paxil, then Citaloprom and now I am on Bupropion. Prozac & Zoloft weren't a good fit for me because I had constant thoughts of suicide. Paxil calmed my anxiety a bit but I still felt down. I started Citaloprom (20 mg) in January of this year. I felt okay but I noticed that my appetite had changed & anxiety attacks were still frequent. I still had moments where I would cry constantly without any merit & I felt even more depressed. My doctor then changed my dosage to 40 mg but that didn't help. When I went for a follow-up, I had gained 16 lbs & none of my pants were fitting me! I was getting more depressed because of my weight gain so my doctor slowly weened me off of Citaloprom & prescribed Bupriopon, 75 mg. I officially started Bupriopon the middle of August, while also taking a smaller dose of Citaloprom to ween me off. At the end of last month, my doctor changed my dosage to 225 mg of Bupropion. Hopefully, this time around the tears will stop, the anxiousness goes away & I can finally wake up without being depressed.

Hi grace, it's my pelasure to make your aquaintance, how are you feeling today?

agreed.

i'm grace, and it's nice to be a part of this site.

a little better, thanks. day 2 on the ADs and obviously no apparent signs, but I feel better knowing that eventually there'll be some change, and hopefully for the better.

but yeah, i'm..i'm okay. i think i might go for a walk or a run; i took the day off uni to do work but i'd rather get out in the sunshine and away from this bed, as much as i love it.

Hello from a newbie!

I want to foremost thank everyone who has the courage to come to a site like this & discuss their feelings openly to complete strangers. I've learned that strangers have a better appreciation to how I feel versus my own family.

A quick history: I've been diagnosed with depression when I was 16; at 17 I overdosed on Prozac & nearly died. I was crying out for help from my family & no one listened. My mother watched as the doctor pumped my stomach. My issues mostly stem from my family; I feel like I am the outcast because of this "illness" as they say. Soon after high school, I started college & was put on Zoloft. From Zoloft I was on Paxil, then Citaloprom and now I am on Bupropion. Prozac & Zoloft weren't a good fit for me because I had constant thoughts of suicide. Paxil calmed my anxiety a bit but I still felt down. I started Citaloprom (20 mg) in January of this year. I felt okay but I noticed that my appetite had changed & anxiety attacks were still frequent. I still had moments where I would cry constantly without any merit & I felt even more depressed. My doctor then changed my dosage to 40 mg but that didn't help. When I went for a follow-up, I had gained 16 lbs & none of my pants were fitting me! I was getting more depressed because of my weight gain so my doctor slowly weened me off of Citaloprom & prescribed Bupriopon, 75 mg. I officially started Bupriopon the middle of August, while also taking a smaller dose of Citaloprom to ween me off. At the end of last month, my doctor changed my dosage to 225 mg of Bupropion. Hopefully, this time around the tears will stop, the anxiousness goes away & I can finally wake up without being depressed.

Hi and Welcome to DF liz2010

I am sorry that your family are the cause of a lot of problems and that they don't understand. You are certainly not an outcast here and there are so many members that understand what you are feeling. You are not alone. I really hope the Bupropion works for you.

Trace

Hello, this makes my second post and probably should have come here first but its late, and I'm not thinking. I joined this forum to listen and read what others are going through with Depression and all. And maybe occassionally drop some word of encouragements to others. I have alot of experience living with Depression. Been depressed ever since I was 5 yrs old; now I'm 38. I felt my childhood was robbed from me, never lived as a happy child or knew what true love was. Physically and emotionally abused from the age of 5-16 yrs. To this day, I am still exposed to hearing the verbal abuse but now both from my mother and step father, but also my siblings and their spouses. It really is depressing to be around them just to watch name calling, sarcasim, and threats exchanged between everyone. I am not married nor have any children, I expect it to stay that way untill my old age. In 2004 I was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I currently take Celexa 10mg for depression, Abilify 2mg for Schizophrenia, and Temazepam 15mg for insomnia. I also take 5 other additional medications ranging for hypertension to acid reflux disease. I am 38 years old and I feel I have already lived out my usefullness in society. My mind has deteriorated in the last months, concentration has taken a hit, clumbsiness is a norm, spacey feeling, and confusion have picked up. Not sure if its the reaction of being on the Abilify for so long now; total of 4yrs. Three of those years were on 15mg dosage.

Didn't mean to switch geers about my introduction there. I am very quiet in person (at times), do not like to hear fighting (very sensitive to that), try to stay open minded on everything and believe in being compassionate towards other peoples feelings. As horrible as my upbringing was, I never turned to alcohol, drugs, or any other addictions for relief; very greatful I didn't turn down that road. I feel very humbled in life but can voice my opinion when I feel threatened or mistreated in anyway. I look forward to hearing from some of you and from time to time post comments to some of the posts I read. Thanks for having me on your site.

Hello, this makes my second post and probably should have come here first but its late, and I'm not thinking. I joined this forum to listen and read what others are going through with Depression and all. And maybe occassionally drop some word of encouragements to others. I have alot of experience living with Depression. Been depressed ever since I was 5 yrs old; now I'm 38. I felt my childhood was robbed from me, never lived as a happy child or knew what true love was. Physically and emotionally abused from the age of 5-16 yrs. To this day, I am still exposed to hearing the verbal abuse but now both from my mother and step father, but also my siblings and their spouses. It really is depressing to be around them just to watch name calling, sarcasim, and threats exchanged between everyone. I am not married nor have any children, I expect it to stay that way untill my old age. In 2004 I was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I currently take Celexa 10mg for depression, Abilify 2mg for Schizophrenia, and Temazepam 15mg for insomnia. I also take 5 other additional medications ranging for hypertension to acid reflux disease. I am 38 years old and I feel I have already lived out my usefullness in society. My mind has deteriorated in the last months, concentration has taken a hit, clumbsiness is a norm, spacey feeling, and confusion have picked up. Not sure if its the reaction of being on the Abilify for so long now; total of 4yrs. Three of those years were on 15mg dosage.

Didn't mean to switch geers about my introduction there. I am very quiet in person (at times), do not like to hear fighting (very sensitive to that), try to stay open minded on everything and believe in being compassionate towards other peoples feelings. As horrible as my upbringing was, I never turned to alcohol, drugs, or any other addictions for relief; very greatful I didn't turn down that road. I feel very humbled in life but can voice my opinion when I feel threatened or mistreated in anyway. I look forward to hearing from some of you and from time to time post comments to some of the posts I read. Thanks for having me on your site.

Hi and Welcome to DF Demian

I am sorry that you have suffered for so long and from when you were so young. It is so awful that you were physically and emotionally abused. I hope that you can find some solace and peace here, as you are among others that know how you feel.

Trace

Hi. I wish I'd seen something like this site 31 years ago, but computers weren't so common then.:blush: Anyway I've had my share of dep. episodes, the latest one began a year ago. I've tried several AD's but am doing best on Effexor XR & Lamictal. I've been going to 2-3 group therapies weekly (weened off 2 of them recently), individual therapy every other month, and headshrink 2 or 3 times/year. I am almost "normal", but have some trouble doing regular chores, such as paying bills, returning library books, etc. and minor memory problems. I don't clean except to sweep the floors maybe once/month despite having a cat that knocks everything off counters, tables, etc. and 2 very dirty dogs, one a puppy that chews up everything the cat knocks down. But suicidal thoughts are gone, and the latest trigger is now in the past (I hope!).

Although I'm not depressed anymore, I'm not happy either. I live alone, no friends, little support, and have to force myself to go out. I have a hard time believing that this is what life should be like. I addressed this with my therapists and 6 of them suggested I try mindfulness exercises and ACT. I've tried DBT before which also has mindfulness themes. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. I don't like deep breathing, I don't like sitting and doing nothing, and I don't really care what my butt feels when it touches the seat. Why is everyone pushing this technique? If it's to relax, it's not working for me. If it's to take my mind off my swirling thoughts, I do better playing with the dogs. I have tried making friends, but half-heartedly. I've gotten lots of phone numbers, but I never call them. Deep down inside, I don't really trust anyone. People are my "acquaintances", not my friends. I've been told that has something to do with being shy, especially when I was young-er. I do know when I walk into a group and sit down, I have no idea who I'm sitting next to, because I see people as objects, sort of like walls. Who notices walls when they walk into a room?! I'm not saying I hate people, I'm just uncomfortable around them. So I'm trying to improve my social skills to help feel comfortable. In the meantime, forums like this are a major help to someone as isolated as myself. Thanks to forum members for any advice, commiserations or comedy you can give.

Hi. I wish I'd seen something like this site 31 years ago, but computers weren't so common then.:blush: Anyway I've had my share of dep. episodes, the latest one began a year ago. I've tried several AD's but am doing best on Effexor XR & Lamictal. I've been going to 2-3 group therapies weekly (weened off 2 of them recently), individual therapy every other month, and headshrink 2 or 3 times/year. I am almost "normal", but have some trouble doing regular chores, such as paying bills, returning library books, etc. and minor memory problems. I don't clean except to sweep the floors maybe once/month despite having a cat that knocks everything off counters, tables, etc. and 2 very dirty dogs, one a puppy that chews up everything the cat knocks down. But suicidal thoughts are gone, and the latest trigger is now in the past (I hope!).

Although I'm not depressed anymore, I'm not happy either. I live alone, no friends, little support, and have to force myself to go out. I have a hard time believing that this is what life should be like. I addressed this with my therapists and 6 of them suggested I try mindfulness exercises and ACT. I've tried DBT before which also has mindfulness themes. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. I don't like deep breathing, I don't like sitting and doing nothing, and I don't really care what my butt feels when it touches the seat. Why is everyone pushing this technique? If it's to relax, it's not working for me. If it's to take my mind off my swirling thoughts, I do better playing with the dogs. I have tried making friends, but half-heartedly. I've gotten lots of phone numbers, but I never call them. Deep down inside, I don't really trust anyone. People are my "acquaintances", not my friends. I've been told that has something to do with being shy, especially when I was young-er. I do know when I walk into a group and sit down, I have no idea who I'm sitting next to, because I see people as objects, sort of like walls. Who notices walls when they walk into a room?! I'm not saying I hate people, I'm just uncomfortable around them. So I'm trying to improve my social skills to help feel comfortable. In the meantime, forums like this are a major help to someone as isolated as myself. Thanks to forum members for any advice, commiserations or comedy you can give.

Hi and Welcome jenbri

What you are describing is how so many here feel, so you are definitely not alone. DF is wonderful for breaking isolation and have interaction, which helps with depression so much. I think that it is really wonderful that you do work on yourself, that is awesome, although not easy.

Trace

Hello, glad to be here, perhaps I can help. I have studied the emotions for the past 20 years and have done over 500 logical analyses of them.

Both Depression and Anxiety are emotions. The studies of psychology and physiology are typically concerned with the objective (that is, scientific) aspects of emotions. Consequently, they are primarily interested in their causes - as law-like generalizations between certain cues or circumstances and typical emotional reactions. But what characterizes an emotion is its intentional object - as distinguished from its cause - so we can appreciate how far short of comprehensive understanding of the emotions any psychological or physiological theory must fall. To me, my passion is my way of seeing and structuring my world, whatever might be going on in the synapses of my brain, or genes, whatever long forgotten childhood traumas or hereditary primordial behavior may have set up this or that "complex" of reactions, and whether certain chemicals might be peddling their unseen influence in my experiences. What makes the causes of our emotions so insidious and difficult to determine is precisely the fact that they have no place in our experience at all.

My best to the Administration,

Fredidog

I have suffered depression most if my adult life.Even now when my life is better than it has ever been I know I am depressed.No one close to me knows & I aim to keep it that way. I lost someone very close to me to drugs so I will not seek medical help.I have pulled myself out of the jaws of the black dog before & I will do it again.

Hellos.

Im Mike, and im here because there are very few people from very few people that I can talk to. I feel very alone alot of the time, so perhaps this forum can be something of a remedy. We will see.

Hello, glad to be here, perhaps I can help. I have studied the emotions for the past 20 years and have done over 500 logical analyses of them.

Both Depression and Anxiety are emotions. The studies of psychology and physiology are typically concerned with the objective (that is, scientific) aspects of emotions. Consequently, they are primarily interested in their causes - as law-like generalizations between certain cues or circumstances and typical emotional reactions. But what characterizes an emotion is its intentional object - as distinguished from its cause - so we can appreciate how far short of comprehensive understanding of the emotions any psychological or physiological theory must fall. To me, my passion is my way of seeing and structuring my world, whatever might be going on in the synapses of my brain, or genes, whatever long forgotten childhood traumas or hereditary primordial behavior may have set up this or that "complex" of reactions, and whether certain chemicals might be peddling their unseen influence in my experiences. What makes the causes of our emotions so insidious and difficult to determine is precisely the fact that they have no place in our experience at all.

My best to the Administration,

Fredidog

Hi and Welcome Fredidog

Emotions are certainly interesting and you have a an interesting perspective on them.

Trace

I have suffered depression most if my adult life.Even now when my life is better than it has ever been I know I am depressed.No one close to me knows & I aim to keep it that way. I lost someone very close to me to drugs so I will not seek medical help.I have pulled myself out of the jaws of the black dog before & I will do it again.

Hi and Welcome princessvixen

I am so sorry that you have lost someone close to you to drugs. That is really very traumatic. DF is a place where you can be among others that understand and you can be yourself here.

Trace

Hellos.

Im Mike, and im here because there are very few people from very few people that I can talk to. I feel very alone alot of the time, so perhaps this forum can be something of a remedy. We will see.

Hi and Welcome Mike

You are definitely not alone here at all. There are so many others here that can relate to you.

Trace

Hi, i'm an 18 year old male, i was diagnosed with depression in january this year but was feeling this way for a good few months before i finally decided to go to see my dr.

i have then being seeing a therapist for the most part of this year and dr's are reluctant to put me on any medication due to a medical illness which may be affected by the medication.

i came onto these forums due to wanting to speak to people who are having similar difficulties and just to gain extra knowledge and take advice where possible.

thanks

Q

Hi, i'm an 18 year old male, i was diagnosed with depression in january this year but was feeling this way for a good few months before i finally decided to go to see my dr.

i have then being seeing a therapist for the most part of this year and dr's are reluctant to put me on any medication due to a medical illness which may be affected by the medication.

i came onto these forums due to wanting to speak to people who are having similar difficulties and just to gain extra knowledge and take advice where possible.

thanks

Q

Hi and Welcome damoon92

I am glad that you went to the doctor and are seeing a therapist. You are not alone at all and you will find a ton of support and information here.

Trace