Sign in to follow this  
Forum Admin

****Welcome New Members!****

This is the place to introduce yourself in Depression Central and to tell us what brings you to DF.

If you have any questions, please send a PM to any moderator as we look forward to getting acquainted with all of you! :hearts:

Posts brought over from our recently closed New Member Topic

Hi All,

I guess I'm only beginning to admit to myself that I am depressed, I had a number of unfortunate things happen to me in the space of a couple of years and things seemed to spiral for a bit. Just before my finals at high school, I found out that my Dad had been having an affair for 2 years. It absolutely destroyed my Mum, she started to drink. What was worse was that she had known for a while but kept it from me and my brothers because she wanted me to get through my exams. She kept that pain and hurt to herself for a long time. She ended up having a bit of a nervous break down which shook me up badly. When I found out bout his affair, I flipped out badly, I ruined a friendship with a close friend and generally hit the self destruct button. I had put my Dad up on a pedestal for my whole life and to have that come crashing down on me when I was 18, I really took it badly. I tried to make my Dad choose between me or her, and as with most guys when you back them into a corner, he chose her. I guess he thought i was just full of empty threats and having tantrums like a child, I still dont know if he realises how much of an effect this had on me. To this day I still have this niggling feeling that if my Dad didnt choose me, why would any guy. It has ruled most of my relationships thus far. Whilst all the revelations about his affair were coming out, my eldest brother (25) was having major heart surgery, and to make sure they didnt potentially complicate things for him, Mum and Dad played happy families around him. It made me sick to the stomach! During my brothers op, he flatlined when he had an allergic reaction to one of the anaesthetics that he was given. It felt like everything was going wrong all at once. My Mum eventually took my dad back, and they are still together, which is a postive at least.

A year later I went to Uni, I still had my so-called Dad issues but my world fell apart once again in the December, when my family and I were caught up in the Tsunami. Miraculously my whole family surviced, but I was very traumatised by just how close I had come to losing my brother and Dad in front of my eyes. I slipped into a dark place after that, I spent most of the next couple of months extremely drunk and sporadically crying. The general feelings I had were...why us again? I failed that year of Uni unsuprisingly, it was hard so to concentrate! I kidded myself after a while that I was on the mend, I didnt need professional... I know now that I was wrong. After failing another year of Uni and ruining friendship after friendship and relationship by blaming everyone/thing else for my problems i just began to settle into a routine, happy until something small happnened and it would turn me into a complete psycho.Over the last few years, I have turned into a pity seeker, I seem to get pleasure in a weird way of being low because people will take notice if I'm down and when they hear my woes they say things like, I dont know how you coped... The truth is, I havent

I have been so much happier recently, I have an amazing boyfriend and good friends, but suddenly again over the last couple of months I have noticed myself blaming others for my problems and taking things out on my poor wonderful boyfriend. It would set me very far back if I was to lose him, so I thought it was time to face up to myself and realise that I am depressed. I dont suffer noticeable effects all the time and it isnt debilitating but I want to change. I dont need people's sympathy for things that happened 4-5 years ago, I dont want it to become a part of who I am, my sad pitiful stories. I want to be known for being friendly, confident and bubbly, like i usually am. Not for my moods, my temper etc... If I dont notice an improvement in the next few months, I will go to a doctor, but my first step is to chat to other people about coping methods and see if I have caught myself in time. So any things that have helped you all, or even being the symathetic ear and giving advice myself will be hugely beneficial to my own self treatment, before I consider going to a doctor.

Sorry its such a long essay!!! :hearts:

Hi and Welcome to DF Debsiedoo

I am glad that you have realized that you need to reach out. It is never to late to seek help or work on yourself. You have been through an incredible amount of trauma, and you can work through the impact that all this trauma has had on your life. Therapy really can help you to do this, with a specialized trauma therapist. It is very difficult to do it alone, as you may pick up unhealthy coping mechanisms.

You may want to check out One Step at a Time for motivation and the Relationship room may help you.

Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

This is more than just a little difficult for me, but here goes, I was steered toward these forums by someone who knows me well and the fact I have nowhere to turn so most of my issues are untreated and undiscussed by anyone. So I'm here first off hoping it may be an outlet for me as solution searching is not a goal for me anymore. I been to the end of my rope numerous times and the fact I'm still here is amazing in itself, some people say everything has a time and place and there's a reason for everything, as for me, I guess it's still my time and place but reasons, I dont know, maybe I'll find some ideas here. Not much of an intro but here I am, thanks, Vlad...(ppl call me that cuz I'm such a harsh insomniac lol
This is more than just a little difficult for me, but here goes, I was steered toward these forums by someone who knows me well and the fact I have nowhere to turn so most of my issues are untreated and undiscussed by anyone. So I'm here first off hoping it may be an outlet for me as solution searching is not a goal for me anymore. I been to the end of my rope numerous times and the fact I'm still here is amazing in itself, some people say everything has a time and place and there's a reason for everything, as for me, I guess it's still my time and place but reasons, I dont know, maybe I'll find some ideas here. Not much of an intro but here I am, thanks, Vlad...(ppl call me that cuz I'm such a harsh insomniac lol

Hi and Welcome Vlad

I am glad that you had the courage to reach out and post here. You really are not alone in the way you feel here and there are a lot of members that also battle with sleep. I hope you find your reason and that we can support you. Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us what brings you to DF.

If you have any questions, please send a PM to any moderator.

We look forward to getting acquainted with all of you! :hearts:

Hello from the UK,suffering fom depression for far too long. on meds for 4 years

don't know if they are doing me any good(guess not) Spent today in bed as having a bad day,

hope you are having good days

Hello from the UK,suffering fom depression for far too long. on meds for 4 years

don't know if they are doing me any good(guess not) Spent today in bed as having a bad day,

hope you are having good days

Hi Little by Little :hearts:

Maybe it's time for a med change if you feel they aren't working? Most of us here can relate to spending days in bed.

I really hope you'll find the forums useful.

PRT xx

Ive been eyeing this site for some time now....Decided to take the plunge and join!

Im Sacha, from CO.. :hearts: Its good to be here. Ive been reading post and its very reassuring to have people who feel just like i do.

Its a battle every day. But im slowly getting better....Right now im on STD for major depression and panic disoder.

Ive been eyeing this site for some time now....Decided to take the plunge and join!

Im Sacha, from CO.. :hearts: Its good to be here. Ive been reading post and its very reassuring to have people who feel just like i do.

Its a battle every day. But im slowly getting better....Right now im on STD for major depression and panic disoder.

:flowers: to the DF sashapoo!

I'm so glad you decided to join! You are going to find a lot of support and understanding here. You are not alone. I look forward to seeing you around the boards! Please make yourself feel at home. Take care :tear2:

Hi, I'm Jessica. I am 15 and joined a few seconds ago. I was diagnosed with Depression and anxiety about 3 months ago, but know I suffered it way before that. I am so glad that there is a website for people to go to for support, and to know that other people out there are going through the same thing. I just need someone to talk to.
Hi, I'm Jessica. I am 15 and joined a few seconds ago. I was diagnosed with Depression and anxiety about 3 months ago, but know I suffered it way before that. I am so glad that there is a website for people to go to for support, and to know that other people out there are going through the same thing. I just need someone to talk to.

Hi and Welcome Jessica

I am glad that you found us. You are definately alone and I hope you find a lot of support here. DF's members are compassionate, understanding and caring. Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

Thankyou so much =]

Good day to each and everyone of you. I am a 39 yr old female with a 17 yr old son. I have been diagnosed as Bipolar 11 /Anxiety disorder. I have been upgraded from Depressive disorder to Bipolar 11 after two years of trying to be counsled and medicated with no improvement. I have been treated with every drug known to mankind for Bipolar with no improvement. I quit takeing all medication except for xanax for sleep, ativan for panic attacks and propanadol to slow my heart down during a major panic attack. I have learned it is better to keep my mental problems to myself and pretend like everything is fine. If you dont have mental health problems or know someone you are close to going through this, then no one really wants to understand or try to understand. My son has endured many nights takeing care of his mother and being more grown up than most adults in his life. He is my backbone and I can honestly say he is the reason I am living today. Maybe by all of us being together here and discussing all of our differnt treatments, symptoms, medications, and ways of dealing with this not so common impairment, will help us patients and our doctors to better understand this complex health disease. I know my doctor really doesnt know the depths of the problems this has input in mine and my sons life.

Always, crazedymond

Good day to each and everyone of you. I am a 39 yr old female with a 17 yr old son. I have been diagnosed as Bipolar 11 /Anxiety disorder. I have been upgraded from Depressive disorder to Bipolar 11 after two years of trying to be counsled and medicated with no improvement. I have been treated with every drug known to mankind for Bipolar with no improvement. I quit takeing all medication except for xanax for sleep, ativan for panic attacks and propanadol to slow my heart down during a major panic attack. I have learned it is better to keep my mental problems to myself and pretend like everything is fine. If you dont have mental health problems or know someone you are close to going through this, then no one really wants to understand or try to understand. My son has endured many nights takeing care of his mother and being more grown up than most adults in his life. He is my backbone and I can honestly say he is the reason I am living today. Maybe by all of us being together here and discussing all of our differnt treatments, symptoms, medications, and ways of dealing with this not so common impairment, will help us patients and our doctors to better understand this complex health disease. I know my doctor really doesnt know the depths of the problems this has input in mine and my sons life.

Always, crazedymond

Hi and Welcome to DF crazedymond

It is great to have you here. I am so glad that you have your son. He sounds wonderful! DF is a wonderful place to receive support, understanding and gather information. You can be yourself here and not be judged, as you are not alone here. You may find the Bipolar Room helpful too. Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board, it looks pretty cool. :) I've been depressed for a little over 2 years, due to a mix of diff. things, break up with my boyfriend, growing older, Meniere's Syndrome (an inner ear problem), and disappointment with life in general.

I take Zoloft, but it doesn't seem to be helping as much as it once did. I feel a sense of loss and abandonment. No matter what I do I feel bad most of the time. I don't want to leave my apartment anymore, partially because I don't know when I'll have a vertigo attack and also because I have become fearful of leaving.

This is the first time in my life I have felt true fear. I don't know how to get out of this. I became clean & sober 4 years ago and thought that things would get better because of it. I guess they have, I never want to drink again, but sometimes I feel worse now than I did when I drank. :hearts:

I hope this forum can help me see some light at the end of the tunnel.

HI Bastet :hearts:

Welcome to DF. Sorry about your depression but you'll find a lot of people here who can relate to and understand what you're going through.

There are many different forums here which may interest you such as the Relationship room, the Zoloft room and the Substance Abuse room. I hope you find the site useful.

PRT xx

Hi - I'm here not because I suffer from depression, but to learn more about it. I need to understand depression - what it truly FEELS like and why it is so destructive. Especially, what compels over 500,000 per year to attempt suicide and over 30,000 to complete it in this country (USA) alone.

Reading these posts brings out so many emotions and I wish I could gather all of you in my arms and make it better. I've researched depression for years, but mostly in the last two, when my 31 year old son completed suicide.

I am not a fan of allopathic medicine and the dangerous drugs they push. I hope I can help with alternatives I've learned that are very promising and, naturally, condemned by many doctors.

God Love all of you!

Edited by cajajo

Hi - I'm here not because I suffer from depression, but to learn more about it. I need to understand depression - what it truly FEELS like and why it is so destructive. Especially, what compels over 500,000 per year to attempt suicide and over 30,000 to complete it in this country (USA) alone.

Reading these posts brings out so many emotions and I wish I could gather all of you in my arms and make it better. I've researched depression for years, but mostly in the last two, when my 31 year old son completed suicide.

I am not a fan of allopathic medicine and the dangerous drugs they push. I hope I can help with alternatives I've learned that are very promising and, naturally, condemned by many doctors.

God Love all of you!

:hearts: to DF, cajajo,

My condolences for the tragic loss of your son.

You've done a bit of research regarding depression. The statistics you posted may or may not be an eye opener for state/local government to follow up what depression is causing to their citizens. Learning about depression is something we also share with people who've never experienced it. Educating the population about mental illness will remove the stigma.

There are "alternative" type treatments in One Step At A Time and Posting, Asking and Sharing. DF is pro- meds. We are open to holistic healing. Since we are all different, methods of treatment will vary from person to person.

Sheewpoman

Hello,

I am a 55 year old woman that lives in New Hampshire. I've had a pretty stressful life but I managed to hold things together until about two years ago. I made a mistake at work, not a big one, but I started crying and just couldn't seem to stop. I thought I was going crazy because I felt out of control. The good news is that I finally got help. The bad news is this new life of feeling can be pretty scary. I'm hoping to find other people that understand how hard it can be to just get out of bed.

red53 :hearts:

Hey, im a 17 year old male, feel as if my life is usless, very depressed and dont know how to tell anyone, so maybe i can say a few things here i dont know.

Hello,

I am a 55 year old woman that lives in New Hampshire. I've had a pretty stressful life but I managed to hold things together until about two years ago. I made a mistake at work, not a big one, but I started crying and just couldn't seem to stop. I thought I was going crazy because I felt out of control. The good news is that I finally got help. The bad news is this new life of feeling can be pretty scary. I'm hoping to find other people that understand how hard it can be to just get out of bed.

red53 :hearts:

Hi and Welcome red53

You are definately not alone here and you will be understood. I am glad that you finally got help. It can make a difference. It can be hard accepting depression, but it can be done. I hope we can help you reach acceptance. There are many ways to come.

Trace

Hey, im a 17 year old male, feel as if my life is usless, very depressed and dont know how to tell anyone, so maybe i can say a few things here i dont know.

Hi and Welcome to DF Darkred

I am sorry that you are battling with depression. It can be hard to talk about, especially if no one understands. You have found the right place for support and understanding. Please feel free to post and make yourself feel at home.

Trace

hello... i am 38 y.o. male who has been out of work since last Dec..........ive been battling depression for almost a year now...i was diagnosed last Oct. i was put on paxil, then was taken off for Effexor 150mg in the morning 75mg at night. i also take Trazodone 50 mg for sleep....I suffer from migrane headaches, and have minor back problems...

I also have tried group therapy this past march...which seemed to help me along with the new meds....until a few weeks ago...

i seem to be falling back into the depression grip.

I guess that would lead to me being here. I want to feel better about myself. Just maybe talking with others might help me. I hate depression. I wouldnt wish it on anyone. It is no fun.

anyway, I thought this would be a good start, thought i would introduce myself...

Tabou

hello... i am 38 y.o. male who has been out of work since last Dec..........ive been battling depression for almost a year now...i was diagnosed last Oct. i was put on paxil, then was taken off for Effexor 150mg in the morning 75mg at night. i also take Trazodone 50 mg for sleep....I suffer from migrane headaches, and have minor back problems...

I also have tried group therapy this past march...which seemed to help me along with the new meds....until a few weeks ago...

i seem to be falling back into the depression grip.

I guess that would lead to me being here. I want to feel better about myself. Just maybe talking with others might help me. I hate depression. I wouldnt wish it on anyone. It is no fun.

anyway, I thought this would be a good start, thought i would introduce myself...

Tabou

Hi and Welcome to DF Tabou

I am glad that you have joined us. Talking about it definately helps. I hope you find it supportive and informative here. I am sorry that you atr battling at the moment. You may want to go back to your doc, incase you need a med adjustment. Depression is terrible. You may find the Effexor and Other Medications Rooms helpful.

Trace

Hi All,

I joined DF to share my story of the suicidal depression I went through for about 2 years. I lead a very happy life right now. I'm here to learn from other people, offer my advice on how I overcame depression, and just lend a helping hand.

Cheers,

Napoleon Will

Hi All,

I joined DF to share my story of the suicidal depression I went through for about 2 years. I lead a very happy life right now. I'm here to learn from other people, offer my advice on how I overcame depression, and just lend a helping hand.

Cheers,

Napoleon Will

Hi and Welcome to DF Napoleon Will

I think its inspirational that you lead a happy life now. It can show others so much hope. I am glad that you are here. Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

Hi All,

Cheers,

Napoleon Will

It is good to know there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel!

This is the place to introduce yourself in Depression Central and to tell us what brings you to DF.

If you have any questions, please send a PM to any moderator as we look forward to getting acquainted with all of you! :hearts:

Hiya

Im Sylviap and computer illiterate - at least I didnt know it till I tried to put a posting on here. I learn by experience so I hope I can keep going long enough till I get it. The bit about why I joined is on my profile, but Im happy to chat about things and give support where I can.

If you have any questions, please send a PM to any moderator as we look forward to getting acquainted with all of you! :flowers:

Hiya

Im Sylviap and computer illiterate - at least I didnt know it till I tried to put a posting on here. I learn by experience so I hope I can keep going long enough till I get it. The bit about why I joined is on my profile, but Im happy to chat about things and give support where I can.

Hi SylviaP :hearts:

Don't worry, it can be a little confusing at first but you'll pick it up in no time! Any questions, just send me or another mod a pm.

Thanks for being on board and look forward to finding out more about you - will have a read of your profile!

PRT xx

If you have any questions, please send a PM to any moderator as we look forward to getting acquainted with all of you! :flowers:

Hiya

Don't worry, it can be a little confusing at first but you'll pick it up in no time! Any questions, just send me or another mod a pm.

Thanks for being on board and look forward to finding out more about you - will have a read of your profile!

PRT xx

Thank you for your really encouraging reply. I think I have the British reserve. I have kept the depth of my depression so secret that I wasnt sure how much to say, but people do seem pretty open on here, so here goes.

I have suffered depression for a very long time and it is a lot better than it was, but I am having a more low period at the moment, triggered by the loss of my Mum and my best friend within 6 months of each other. I am divorced and have a child with special needs, so my life is very restricted (my ex husband is at the other end of the world now) and there seems to be fewer and fewer people in my life. I dont know how other people feel but I think when Im like this that people arent being close to me, but I wonder if its because I find it hard to be close to them whilst hiding depression. I would love to have a good relationship but seem destined to pick men who put a distance between me and them and am afraid I am not capable of any other kind of relationship. I do have some good female friends and have kept my friends for a long time, but have moved about the UK so they are not near. Sorry to go on. I hate showing this much miserable but thank you for listening.

Hiya

PRT xx

Thank you for your really encouraging reply. I think I have the British reserve. I have kept the depth of my depression so secret that I wasnt sure how much to say, but people do seem pretty open on here, so here goes.

I have suffered depression for a very long time and it is a lot better than it was, but I am having a more low period at the moment, triggered by the loss of my Mum and my best friend within 6 months of each other. I am divorced and have a child with special needs, so my life is very restricted (my ex husband is at the other end of the world now) and there seems to be fewer and fewer people in my life. I dont know how other people feel but I think when Im like this that people arent being close to me, but I wonder if its because I find it hard to be close to them whilst hiding depression. I would love to have a good relationship but seem destined to pick men who put a distance between me and them and am afraid I am not capable of any other kind of relationship. I do have some good female friends and have kept my friends for a long time, but have moved about the UK so they are not near. Sorry to go on. I hate showing this much miserable but thank you for listening.

Hi and Welcome to DF Sylviap

You are doing well with your posting! It may take a little time, but you will eventually get used to it.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom and best friend. That must be devastating for you. I hope we can help break your isolation here and give you some much needed support. You may find the bereavement room very helpful. It is password protected. Please PM any moderator or Admin for the password.

Any learned patterns can be changed, you may also find the Relationship room helpful.

Trace

Hello.

I have recently been diagnosed with depression, but I know it has been with me for a long time. It has been hard facing the depression. I don't like it. I always thought if i tried hard enough I could control the way I felt and acted. I was wrong. I have been trying to deal with it myself for too long. I wanted people to see that I was strong and capable. I didn't want people to know that I find it hard sleeping, and that I cry uncontrollably at any time for no reason. I didn't want others to know I was scared even to go to the dairy, or to the letter box in case I had to interact with my neighbors. Human interchange frightened me. A lot. But it slowly caught up with me and I had to leave my successful job as a top salesman because it became a struggle to get out of bed. I became fearful of the outside world. I always was, but now it was showing. And I don't like that, because people now know I have a mental illness, and I never wanted to be unwell. But I am. And I'm learning that it's okay. But it doesn't make it any easier.

My life has been hard and heavy. I don't want that life anymore.

Hello.

I have recently been diagnosed with depression, but I know it has been with me for a long time. It has been hard facing the depression. I don't like it. I always thought if i tried hard enough I could control the way I felt and acted. I was wrong. I have been trying to deal with it myself for too long. I wanted people to see that I was strong and capable. I didn't want people to know that I find it hard sleeping, and that I cry uncontrollably at any time for no reason. I didn't want others to know I was scared even to go to the dairy, or to the letter box in case I had to interact with my neighbors. Human interchange frightened me. A lot. But it slowly caught up with me and I had to leave my successful job as a top salesman because it became a struggle to get out of bed. I became fearful of the outside world. I always was, but now it was showing. And I don't like that, because people now know I have a mental illness, and I never wanted to be unwell. But I am. And I'm learning that it's okay. But it doesn't make it any easier.

My life has been hard and heavy. I don't want that life anymore.

Hi and Welcome to DF Evincoomnus

It is wonderful to have you here. It is hard to accept depression, but it looks like you got to a point where you really needed the help. I am glad that you are coming to terms with your depression. I hope we can help you on your journey. Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

Hi.. First time here.. Don't really have a lot to say yet.. I've tried other places and other things and have no good results.. For me, I have several issues, possibly all related.. I'm not good at talking about myself on a personal level.. But things are not going well.. It seems most forums really don't want to hear from people who are in the pit, only those well into or already recovered.. I was well into recovery, but now it's bad again, really bad, because things have put me in a lousy situation.. so if this place really isn't for people stuck at the bottom of the pit, if I'm only going to get people telling me I like being the victim, it's all in your head, etc., then tell me now so I don't waste anyone's time cause frankly I didn't ask for any of it.. I know someone already said this is the right place, but can't hurt to ask again since this is a new intro in a different category.. Thanks.. Sorry for the neg...

Hi.. First time here.. Don't really have a lot to say yet.. I've tried other places and other things and have no good results.. For me, I have several issues, possibly all related.. I'm not good at talking about myself on a personal level.. But things are not going well.. It seems most forums really don't want to hear from people who are in the pit, only those well into or already recovered.. I was well into recovery, but now it's bad again, really bad, because things have put me in a lousy situation.. so if this place really isn't for people stuck at the bottom of the pit, if I'm only going to get people telling me I like being the victim, it's all in your head, etc., then tell me now so I don't waste anyone's time cause frankly I didn't ask for any of it.. I know someone already said this is the right place, but can't hurt to ask again since this is a new intro in a different category.. Thanks.. Sorry for the neg...

Hi and Welcome to DF NoOne1

It is good to have you here. You are in the right place. We are here for people who need support while going through a bad place in their lives. The members are understanding, wonderful and supportive. If you are need of extra support, please feel free to post in Members Needing Extra Support Now. Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace