Sign in to follow this  
trizzy786

Wellbutrin-8weeks- Angry And Crying

So, I've been on Bupropron SR for about 8 weeks now and I only take 150mg a day because the 300 is too much for me to handle. I get so angry over the smallest things and I cry SO easily it's embarrassing. I'm just wondering if people had these symtoms and if they went away. I really want this to work... but I can't handle screaming at my mom over the smallest things or crying over even smaller things.

So, I've been on Bupropron SR for about 8 weeks now and I only take 150mg a day because the 300 is too much for me to handle. I get so angry over the smallest things and I cry SO easily it's embarrassing. I'm just wondering if people had these symtoms and if they went away. I really want this to work... but I can't handle screaming at my mom over the smallest things or crying over even smaller things.

Hi Trizzy,

I don't really know the answer to your question about whether the extreme emotions will go away, I hope someone else that has had a similar experience can answer your question. It may be a matter of time or the wrong med for you. The reason I have restarted WB is b/c I need some emotion. I have been taking Remeron and it leaves me emotionally flat. I can't genuinely laugh when I know something is funny and I feel nothing when I hear something sad. I know from past experience that WB does heighten emotion but I never had the extreme response you have had. If you don't get any helpful responses you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. Take care

Hi Trizzy,

I don't really know the answer to your question about whether the extreme emotions will go away, I hope someone else that has had a similar experience can answer your question. It may be a matter of time or the wrong med for you. The reason I have restarted WB is b/c I need some emotion. I have been taking Remeron and it leaves me emotionally flat. I can't genuinely laugh when I know something is funny and I feel nothing when I hear something sad. I know from past experience that WB does heighten emotion but I never had the extreme response you have had. If you don't get any helpful responses you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. Take care

Hi,

I am starting week 6 and I'm more anxious then I've felt so far. I also have a severe feeling of guilt and my emotions are sky high. My husband is ready to send me away... Maybe this isn't the drug for us? Or does it take a lot longer to smooth out?

Hi Trizzy,

Your experiencing some fairly common effects from the Wellbutrin. I certainly experienced the anger problems for some time while on the 300XL version. I can't say it ever went totally away, but I can say it is not nearly as intense now as it was when I started up. Crying spells can be common too...all part of the adjustment to the medication. These can take some time to go away, perhaps even longer then the 8 week adjustment period for the medication.

As always if things don't improve in say the 10 week period it may be time to discuss this with your doctor and see if there is something that can be done to help. It can be tough to adjust to this medication as you are finding so be sure to follow up with your doctor if things don't improve.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing.

Hi Trizzy-

I was on buproprian SR for 12 weeks and it also had the same effect, I felt it made me MORE sad and angry. I kept telling people it didn't work and one psych had me add Prestiq which he said would "boost" the wellbutrin. Why boost something that has no effect anyway?

I went on Abilify last Tuesday and already see a difference. I've only cried once since then and my angry moods aren't as intense. My therapist (not psych) suggested it and my GP who knows me very well prescribed 10 mg a day. The side effects aren't horrible, but they're apparent to me and hopefully will go away soon.

I was concerned that my therapist thought I was bipolar rather than my long time dx of chronic severe depression with anxiety, but she explained that because I tend to have the severe depression coupled with some very very stressful life issues right now, she felt I needed something to help me handle the overwhelming anger and sadness I feel. She said she felt in a few months I could go back to a regular antidepressant, but for my specific issues right now, Abilify seems to be working.

Good luck!

I had tried Bupropion about 4 years ago and I hated it. It never "kicked in." I can only remember getting these crazy, angry mood swings. I'd be fine one minute, and all of a sudden I would just snap. I had to stop it. I'm currently trying Cymbalta. I'm only on day 5, though. Haven't gotten anything yet, but I am optimistic. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I take Wellbutrin XL 300 mg every day, and it has made me much more irritable than before. This does seem to be a relatively common problem, but the severity of this side effect in me is, thankfully, minor.

Hi Trizzy, and welcome to the forum!

I have taken Wellbutrin 300 XL now for a few months and have to tell you that it only really settled me after about 10-12 weeks.

I was also really becoming disheartened when everyone told me to hold on. I am glad I did.

You don't mention what your diagnosis is?

Hey i am on Wellbutrin as well today would be the seventh day 2 days ago i upped my dosage from 150mg to 300mg a day and just like you i was way to emotional i was like whoa! where am i at...i felt like i was in the twilight zone..really i was talking to my spouse and started to cry and he said what is wrong with you? and i couldnt talk i was just crying i know how you feel there. i went back to just 150mg a day until i feel can cope with that. i have ringing ears headaches and i tend to wake up throughout the night and its hard for me to go back to sleep. i just take a sleep aide with that. idk whats next or how i will feel this is the first time i have taken any type of antidepressants i have been reading alot and been told you really cant feel the affects til 4-8 weeks so im goin to just hang in there and see what happens..

Hey i am on Wellbutrin as well today would be the seventh day 2 days ago i upped my dosage from 150mg to 300mg a day and just like you i was way to emotional i was like whoa! where am i at...i felt like i was in the twilight zone..really i was talking to my spouse and started to cry and he said what is wrong with you? and i couldnt talk i was just crying i know how you feel there. i went back to just 150mg a day until i feel can cope with that. i have ringing ears headaches and i tend to wake up throughout the night and its hard for me to go back to sleep. i just take a sleep aide with that. idk whats next or how i will feel this is the first time i have taken any type of antidepressants i have been reading alot and been told you really cant feel the affects til 4-8 weeks so im goin to just hang in there and see what happens..

Hello Lostsoul!

I am really sorry to read of your struggles on Wellbutrin. I am not a doctor so I would strongly suggest that you call your doctor and discuss these side effects with him/her just to make sure.

I do, however, recall what you are talking about - plus the fact that my depression did not lift immediately! I just suddenly wonder about your blood pressure?

I suddenly around 9 weeks, just realised that the frequency of these started lessening and around 12 weeks, it was all gone.

I am boringly stable!

I too have been on Wellbutrin for about 6 weeks, just 4 days ago went from 150 to 300mg. I'm so dizzy I can't see straight. But the worst is being over emotional (crying about nothing) and I too am having some anger issues. I was on Effexor XR before this and I always thought it made me emotionally numb. I'm just hoping the anger thing disapears because that is definately not me.

I don't know if it will disappear for you but with me it did not i am swith=ching to effexor after the holidays when i tried to lower my dose everything got real bad i started having severe panic attacks, on wb i am really snappy and very anxious constantly , sometimes lazy and sometimes never run out of energy my moods bounce all over the place and change constantly been on wb for about 3 months and things are getting worse

I was on Wellbutrin for 20 years, and was told the entire time I was depressed - I wasn't. I have now been properly diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos. After going off the Wellbutrin I noticed that I no longer had hysterical crying spells anymore. I hated them as I was normally an unemotional person, and my frustration at not being able to stop crying when I didn't really feel that way only made it worse. 

I didn't have the crying jags before or afterwards. Because I was unemotional other than these crying fits, my doctor decided I was a hysterical personality because of the contrast. It was never considered as being a side effect of the med. I feel cheated, to say the least.