This has been ruining my life for years. It causes so much pain and isolation. I'm struggling so much with it :( It's nice just to hear that others feel the same way. I'm so ashamed of my anxiety, all the things I can't do.

Hey guys! I was experiencing social phobia since being teenager. Later tried different ways to overcome it (including alcohol and drugs), but finally it was making things even worse.

Recently I read this fellow's short post about social anxiety tips and now trying to use them, seems to have some positive effect.

I have suffered from this sincd childhood. I used to think I was just shy but its never went away. Not that you shouldn't be aware of who you're around but I realize I've had this. I'm 29 going on 30. I should have dealt with this a long time ago. I'm ready to seek professional help. I'm not afraid of that now.

Hey! I'm a newbie and thought I'd share my experiences.. I've been suffering from social phobia since I was 17 ( I'm almost 27)

- I am extremely uncomfortable in any situation where I might receive criticism or my performance might be judged ( in school it was presentations, being called on in class, doing music tests where you had to play an instrument in front of the class. Now it is being in any type of work situation, interviews, fitness classes, etc)

-I am so uncomfortable being around coworkers (though I'm unemployed right now..it's keeping me from being able to work again) being around friends that I was very close to in high school. The only people I'm comfortable with are my boyfriend, immediate family and my roommate. If I go out in public I prefer to have my boyfriend with me, almost like protection from situations I find uncomfortable.

- I cannot talk on the phone.

- I get extremely uncomfortable in checkout lines, restaurants, being alone at the mall

-I get panicked when I have to cross at an intersection because I feel as though people are staring at me, judging me

-I can talk to people I don't know well more easily than people I do know well because I feel like they expect less from me. I feel like the people who know me will realize what a fraud I am...

-I am uncomfortable eating in public, using public restrooms, shopping in stores where the salespeople are "all over you"

-I can't say no to people. I do all sorts of things I don't want to do to benefit other people because I don't want them to not like me for saying no.

Honestly, I feel like social phobia consumes almost every aspect of my life. I just want to stay home where I feel safe. I need to figure out how to manage this, because I can't live like this anymore. I want more from life than this.

Hey! I'm a newbie and thought I'd share my experiences.. I've been suffering from social phobia since I was 17 ( I'm almost 27)

- I am extremely uncomfortable in any situation where I might receive criticism or my performance might be judged ( in school it was presentations, being called on in class, doing music tests where you had to play an instrument in front of the class. Now it is being in any type of work situation, interviews, fitness classes, etc)

-I am so uncomfortable being around coworkers (though I'm unemployed right now..it's keeping me from being able to work again) being around friends that I was very close to in high school. The only people I'm comfortable with are my boyfriend, immediate family and my roommate. If I go out in public I prefer to have my boyfriend with me, almost like protection from situations I find uncomfortable.

- I cannot talk on the phone.

- I get extremely uncomfortable in checkout lines, restaurants, being alone at the mall

-I get panicked when I have to cross at an intersection because I feel as though people are staring at me, judging me

-I can talk to people I don't know well more easily than people I do know well because I feel like they expect less from me. I feel like the people who know me will realize what a fraud I am...

-I am uncomfortable eating in public, using public restrooms, shopping in stores where the salespeople are "all over you"

-I can't say no to people. I do all sorts of things I don't want to do to benefit other people because I don't want them to not like me for saying no.

Honestly, I feel like social phobia consumes almost every aspect of my life. I just want to stay home where I feel safe. I need to figure out how to manage this, because I can't live like this anymore. I want more from life than this.

I have or have had basically the exact same problems. Some have gotten a little better over time. Especially the feeling that people are judging me though is still going strong and near impossible to deal with at times. I too feel like it consumes every aspect of my life, if only there was a simple off-switch for the part of the brain producing these fears, they're so pointless and destructive.

I have social phobia since I was a little child. My symptoms are pratically the same as shelbytaylor's. I'm 25 and it hasn't got any better. I developed ocd as well and constantly ruminate about myself and each possible negative thing i might have said and done. I'm unemployed and the fear and discomfort of being around coworkers, bosses and being evaluated for my performance are the biggest impediment for me to try getting a job. When I had jobs in the past it was hell and I ended up quitting suddenly because I just couldn't stand the constant anxiety and fear. The obsessive self awareness dictated my life and certainly closed many doors, got in the way of experimenting and getting to know myself and what my goals are, and made me socially isolated.

Edited by ffontaine

My social phobia began to take over my life in high school. I was barely going to school and as a result lost friends and no longer socialized or talked much with anyone. This lack of exposure made everything worse. I forgot how to talk to people, how to socialize, make friends, be myself...the list goes on. I now find it hard to even be around my family, my cousins especially whom I was always close with. Every time I am around others, my face quivers, my voice shakes, and I just want to runaway. It's hundred times worse when around a large group. I always feel this desperation creeping up my chest, making it hard to breathe. It's horrible.

Today I had a presentation in school. Usually my nerves reach an all time high before the presentation and sky rocket during it, but today I didn't feel as nervous as I thought I would before I presented. So, stupid me, I thought "Oh, this must be a good sign and I'll be alright." I don't know what's worse, psyching yourself out and preparing for the worse and therefore not having so much disappointment afterwards or thinking positive and failing miserably. Every time I close my eyes I hear myself in those two minutes I was up there (shaky voice, on the verge of tears, and out of breath) and want to do nothing less than scratch my face off.

I'm going to talk to my therapist tomorrow and see what she suggests but I'm sure it'll be the same stuff online (breathe, visualize, don't think about what others will say)-none of which have worked thus far. Maybe I'm not doing it right. This was part of the reason I quit my good job a few years back-a mixture of feeling inadequate, alone, and wanting but not wanting to be around others.

Maybe it's time to give Paxil another try. Or take some diazepam...

Edited by whit0619

I had almost all these problems until I was about 22 or 23 thats a big reason for my depression,being mad on missing out on stuff as a teenager.it mostly went away after I forced myself to be a cashier and talk to every single customer until I had no anxeity It took thousands of conversations for about a year till most of it went I managed to go to a few parties where I didn,t know anyone managed to give alot of presentations and barley got nervous went on a few dates where I felt no nerves at all.I don,t have trouble talking to people m usually the person who breaks the akward silence.I was a full blown agrphobic at one point I didn,t leave my for no more then a few times a year.if I could get better I think everyone else can to,I noticed once I got over it I became a very very angry person,I feel like social anxiety might be some kind of suppressed rage that people are afraid to express for some people atleast I hope you all get better.

For myself I notice it has a lot to do with certain factors. My level of concern gets tangled up in a bunch of intertwined factors that either enhance each other or cancel each other out. Some of them include who I'm around (somehow I'm fine around brand new ppl or most ppl I've known a long time, but acquaintances I've recently met and certain specific people I've had a history of bad experiences with are hugely triggering). If I haven't slept well/eaten well or if I've otherwise stressed myself out somehow, then I'm far more prone to being easily offended or irritated. If I'm called upon to do something else, I get annoyed and have trouble hiding it. If I'm being watched while doing something I get caught up in a mental loop of how they misunderstand me as not knowing the things I mess up on when actually I know the thing very well and it's just that my working memory is often very poor. On stimulating medications I seem to effortlessly avoid being so oversensitive though.

Edited by sabishikunaru

I think I do have social anxiety still im hyper self consious its not in my head people literally ignore me when im speaking to them,and they tell me im talking over them,but when im talking they always talk over me i get so mad around people I had to hold my tongue yesterday in my lab I was going too curse out my group members in class , I noticed younger students do it more.They act like I have a lower social status just because I have memory problems and can,t always find the right words when im speaking well im not I make up my own social standing.I have started to just keep talking and raise my voice when there trying cut me off. I get a kick out of it because there is nothing they can say and I confront them if they say anything.I  get so angry and upset from working with people sometimes.I really don,t care if they like me I expect to be treated as a equal and if they don,t do that there is going to be hostility.

On 2/4/2016 at 0:25 AM, Teddy545 said:

I have social phobia but not social anxiety. I get panic attacks from interacting with strangers, being on stage and talking on the phone.  I don't get anxiety about people judging me, it just hurts my feelings when it happens.  I'm fine when I'm around people, I just get panic when I have to interact with them.   I wanted to be an opera singer my whole like but now I get panic when I go on stage. 

well a lot of those people have similar issues with anxiety. my friend sings and she has MAJOR anxiety !!