New Findings Suggests A New Approach To Antidepressant Therapy

New Findings Suggests A New Approach To Antidepressant Therapy

Brainbow.jpg

"Brainbow"

April 30, 2009 - A brain protein involved in fear behavior and anxiety may represent a new target for depression therapies.

Depression affects at least 14 million American adults and can be severely disabling.

However, the causes of depression are not well understood. In addition, up to half of people diagnosed with depression are not helped by current therapies because either the drug is not effective for them, or the side effects are intolerable.

Researchers from the University of Iowa found that disrupting ASIC1a

• 1 year later...

Interesting but very complicated. I've never heard of this before and I'm not entirely sure what exactly they're trying to achieve by targeting this area. Just goes to show how complicated the brain is. Personally fear isn't my worry its my brain's persistence at throwing stupid thoughts at me which interfere with my enjoyment of things. The fear of lack of pleasure or ability to enjoy things is what precipitates my depression and brings on depressive episodes. What they need to create is a drug which inhibits over active thoughts which interfere with pleasure.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Guest unpinned this topic