Sign in to follow this  
FatDuke5

Lexapro 5mg Starting Out

I started on 5mg of Lexapro as I'm extremely sensitive to medicines and want to give my body the best chance to get used to it. I started taking it April 3rd. The first few days I noticed I was very anxiety ridden and nauseated constantly, but that seemed to level off. However since the 7th I've found that I'm getting more nauseated and gassy from the Lexapro. Also, this morning I've found I am very hyper/antsy causing me to be pretty fidgety and have trouble sitting still at work. Is this a typical reaction to the Lexapro after 6 or so days? And does it normally go away with time? I ask because I want to give this the best chance to work before giving up on it as I think i could really benefit from it if these side effects do dissipate. Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide!

I started on 5mg of Lexapro as I'm extremely sensitive to medicines and want to give my body the best chance to get used to it. I started taking it April 3rd. The first few days I noticed I was very anxiety ridden and nauseated constantly, but that seemed to level off. However since the 7th I've found that I'm getting more nauseated and gassy from the Lexapro. Also, this morning I've found I am very hyper/antsy causing me to be pretty fidgety and have trouble sitting still at work. Is this a typical reaction to the Lexapro after 6 or so days? And does it normally go away with time? I ask because I want to give this the best chance to work before giving up on it as I think i could really benefit from it if these side effects do dissipate. Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide!

I been on lexapro at 5mg for a week. And my stomach Is still experience gassy problems. I hope I don't have to wait too much longer.

I also started on 5mg of Lexapro and did suffer with some naseau during the first week or so, this quickly disapated and I have not had to much of an issue since. I can't speak for anxiety as I don't suffer from that, but it did have a near immediate calming effect on me which has continued even after I upped from the 5mg.

I would definitely stick with it and give it a real chance, even if your sensitive that dose should be easier to adjust to and hopefully you will notice an anxiety drop and the lessoning of the nausea and gas in a short time.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go

FatDuke --

The start-up side effects you are experiencing are very standard. They can be unsettling, but they're usually transient. You're doing the right thing by giving your Lex a chance to adjust. The first couple weeks are generally the toughest. Hang in there!

Best,

HopefulOne

Like you, I started on 5mgs 5 weeks ago, then upped it to 10mgs. Ever since day 1 I was very jittery and couldn't sit still like you. I also had increased anxiety for a few weeks but that has finally started to taper away. I am still feeling jittery, fatigued and have headaches during the day, but I heard that around 6-8 weeks, they go away. So i'm just trying to stay patient. Talk with your doctor on ways you can help your se's. I found that meditation helps the jitters, at least for me. Stay patient and let us know how you feel. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone. The fidgety problems still come and go but have been less pronounced lately. This last weekend was probably the roughest I've had of it, which is maybe common? I had hoped that starting out would be the roughest part side effect wise, but it has seemed rougher a week in than when I started the Lexapro. Over the weekend I had more problems with stomach upset, nausea, and woozy/dizziness when taking my 5 mg Lexapro, but I'm still very hopeful that these side effects will dissipate with time. I have the benefit of having a few people close to me who keep me on track, encourage me to push through the ill feelings, and reassure me that 10 days is not enough time for my body to have gotten as used to the AD as it can. I often find myself panicking and worrying that these side effects are going to get worse, be intolerable, or never go away and they help distract me from those thoughts. I really appreciate all the feed back and will keep everyone posted on how I am doing. I have had a decent share of gastrointestinal problems before ever taking Lexapro and a lot of it was thought to be brought on or exasperated by anxiety so that is most likely also why this is a part of me that has been having a rough time with the medicine. I'm remaining hopeful that this will be a helpful course of action for me though, the Lexapro.

I started 5 mg just a couple of weeks ago.....low dosage 'cause SSRIs make me itch. Just now I'm feeling it kick in a bit....still some slight itching but nothing like before with just about all the other SSRIs. The only ones I haven't tried are Prozac, Pristiq and Cymbalta. Other than that no side effects at all. I just hope the itching either goes away or doesn't worsen. I can get by with the way things are now.

I have been taking Xanax for 10 years for anxiety and want to come off it and have wanted to for ages. I am super sensitive to all the SSRI's I have tried but am going to give Lexapro a go this week. I hope you are able to stick with the meds and that they work for you. I have had a lot of the issues that you are describing with all the other AD meds I have tried and was not able to stick them out long enough to see if they worked (like in days I would be off them as my anxiety would go nuts). I have intestinal dramas, probably more from anxiety than anything else. My GP has prescribed me Stematil for the nausea and I find ginger alcohol and ginger snaps help the gassy feelings I get from stress.

Hi all,

Back again, perhaps,for more of the same. I'd posted earlier about how I was starting out with 5mg Lexapro and had been having a few side effects that troubled me. Well, I just saw my doctor and they want me to stick it out for a month to really give the medicine a shot, which I'm hoping to tolerate and manage because I'd really like it to work too. Here's the rub. Its been about 2 and a half weeks for me on my small dose of 5mg Lex. Well, the last 4 days and especially the last 2 have been alot harsher side effect wise. I take my pill with dinner. I've been having lots of nausea to the point of almost thinking I'm going to be sick and just generally flushed/flu like feeling coming and going. I guess, I'm looking for some helpful and hopefully encouraging remarks. Everything I'd read on here seemed to look like the side effects go away over time for people and mostly within the first two weeks (especially GI problems). Is it perfectly normal to have your side effects become more pronounced after two weeks before your body will start to make them go away? I want to ride this out it is just rough, and it'd be encouraging to know there are those out there that got to where the medicine no longer bothered them but had it take longer than two weeks. This and any advice is always welcome. Thanks for the kind responses to my last post as well.

Desperately hopeful!

Hey Dukie, the nausea usually comes on strong in the very beginning. I'm thinking maybe something else is bothering your tummy. Anyway, you could try taking your med just before bedtime, a few hours after dinner. That is, I hope dinner and bedtime are not the same! That can definitely mess up your stomach and metabolism.

If you can stand the nausea for a few more days, go for it. But if it persists longer, or is really debilitating, then you should talk to your doctor about switching. There are many different drugs in the same class as Lexapro and you may do fine on another one.

Hi FatDuke5,

If you are still having problems with side effects on 5mg Lexapro (= to 10mg Celexa) then you should go and se your Doctor for advice. It may be the wrong SSRI for you. Are you feeling any better overall? If so it may just need a few more weeks of tolerence to this particular side effect.

See your doctoe for advice

Jim Bow

Probably beating a dead horse, but I have a new side effect I was hoping to find some reassurance is normal. I know increased anxiety can happen as your body adjusts to the medicine. Well, I definitely had that shortly after starting my 5mg Lexapro, but it went away after a few days. I'm nearing 3 weeks and woke up this morning with a lot of anxiety (much more than normal) that had me feeling very panicky. It's tapered off some but in general, I've been very anxious today. Something similar but less pronounced happened about a week ago, but went away. Is it normal for the increased anxiety to come back off and on as your body is adjusting to the medicine? It was just weird to not have that side effect for so long and then all of a sudden be full of anxiety when I woke up.

Hi FatDuke5,

Sorry your continuing to struggle on the Lexapro. I'm sure you've heard everyone has different results on on medication, so it's not uncommon to be experiencing either new or continued side effects while your body adjusts to it. Have you had anxiety issues prior to being on the Lexapro? Just curious if something may have aggrivated your condition.

You certainly are having a rough time with the side effects so it might be time to discuss them with your doctor. If you can hang on for the 6-8 weeks that's great but I would still suggest bringing the effects up with your doctor before then, in case the Lexapro just isn't going to agree with you.

Good luck and I hope things improve for you soon

Hi FatDuke5, I agree with Darken. Give it a little more time, every one is sensative to SSRIs in a different way. Ask you Doctor for advice meantime he will have a lot of experince of people with different side effects.

Time usually sorts it out, but it may be you are sensative to this med.

Jim Bow