Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

WELLBUTRIN SR (BUPROPION HYDROCHLORIDE) and ALCOHOL

I've been taking 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for about 8 months now. Because of the anger/anxiety issues my doc added in 10mg of prozac. I take the Wellbutrin in the am and the prozac just before bed. It has helped a great deal with the anxiety and anger and helps with the insomnia the other med exacerbates.

Unfortunately I am learning that I must be very, very careful about alcohol consumption, especially on an empty stomach. I had 3 glasses of alcohol last night when I got home from work, which got me over the top blitzed and then I spent from 3 am- 7 am nauseous and vomiting. This isn't the first time this has happened on what I would consider to be a moderate amount of alcohol. In addition I don't remember anything that happened after I put my glass in the sink. I just woke up in bed at 2 am with a raging headache and within an hour I was vomitting over and over. Horrible. The first time it happened I actually thought I had the flu because I had only had 2 drinks but the second time it happend I realized it was the combination of drugs/alcohol.

It is disappointing to think I can't have alcohol on Friday evenings without making myself sick as a dog!

I think it is great that there is a thread to discuss this issue.  I asked my doc about it before starting and she said not to worry about it too much.  She recommend I start slow and see how I feel and said alcohol generally isn't an issue as long as people aren't drinking heavily.  She also said that most people that have never had a seizure or family history of a seizure disorder have a very small chance of experiencing seizures, especially if they aren't on max dosage.  Maybe that will help for those that are worried.

Thank you, it seems I already found answer to my question, just by reading this, but it is already too late since I just had a shoot of alcohol I just cant take it anymore, I have no more meds.  run out of Seroxat, most of Xanax, Elontril known to most of you as Wellbutrin is all I have, and last 6 pills of Xanax 1mg, I learned to live with depression my main concern are the anxiety attack, that is unbereablle, I do not have chance just to go to a doctor and seek help because I live in a strange country, former soldier Im fuc... up beyond imagination, PTS and etc. sorry for my english it is not my first language

I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL (along with a bit of Cymbalta) and I can have a few drinks with no problems other than getting slightly tipsy. Every time I see my cardiologist I have to fill in a form... which asks the same questions as the last time. How many drinks of alcohol ? Answering social drinking does NOT cut it for an answer.  7 drinks per week or less does ! I'm sure I average far less than 7 per week over a month or year.  

Drank on it on many occations, no other drugs.  Once in a rare time especially the next day with a hang over, I have been scared by getting a hole in my vision.  Went to ER, they did MRI and other test, found nothinng physiologically wrong, neurological testing showed all good, eventually found out that this and other vision and mental weirdness occurs.  I stopped drinking on Wellbutrin