Sign in to follow this  
Jordanlee_81

It's Just Just A Problem With Kids...

I've had ADD my whole life, I'm 27 now, and it seems that it's only considered a problem that kids have.

Anyone else find that Adults are generally ignored or better yet miss diagnosed when it comes to the subject of ADD?

Hi and Welcome to DF Jordanlee

ADD, I believe is very real in adults too.

Trace

I don't know why it has been thought of as a childhood problem only, by some circles. My father and I certainly have had it all our lives and continue to have it. We're able to hide it better with coping skills, but it's still there, as much as it ever was. I've known plenty of other adults that have it, too. *shrugs*

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but that's what I hate about ADD. Everyone focuses on the children, yet the children don't have to worry about going to school to get a degree, so they don't wind up working at a McDonald's for the rest of their lives, heck they don't even have to worry about getting a job. Yet everyone focuses on the children and push the adults aside. It seems that when you hit a certain age, you go from having ADD to being lazy. I find it absolutely wrong.

Its very much a problem with Adults. Here in the UK there are several associations dedicsted to Adults only who have ADD/ADHD.

I agree it is seen as a childrens problem here and beause schools have regular publicity on disruptive and problem kids. Add is ell researched in the school system but not in the workplace.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

i have ADD, and have all my life. it's very real in adults, and distracts me at work. i take the maximum amount of adderall, and it only helps partially. i need to make sure i'm organized and "with it" to make myself successful in life.

yeah, there's a lot of publicity about it in kids, and there needs to be studies for adults in the workplace, i totally agree.