Do Normal People Ever Annoy You?

Black Manta

As I've gotten older I really try to keep my depression to myself, but the other day I said that I really don't want to live anymore. I guess they took it that I was going to jump off a bridge the next day. There was kind of a mini arguement. Basicly I stated that I'm unhappy and I see no chance of me being happy in the foreseeable future. They kept making comments that things will get better, it just takes time, you can only make yourself happy. As this went on I just kept getting more and more annoyed. I feel that as I look at my life logicly I don't have a lot to be happy about and I don't have many options or resources to improve my lot in life.

I'm sure others have had these kind of experiences. I've been to a few therapists who have had the same mentality. I just find it so frustating sometimes.

Anyway thanks for reading my vent.

They kept making comments that things will get better, it just takes time, you can only make yourself happy. As this went on I just kept getting more and more annoyed. I feel that as I look at my life logicly I don't have a lot to be happy about and I don't have many options or resources to improve my lot in life.

yes, I feel the same way a lot of times...

I know they say all those things to make me feel better, to support me but, deep inside I just believe future will get worse and worse.

I'm sure others have had these kind of experiences. I've been to a few therapists who have had the same mentality. I just find it so frustating sometimes.

maybe I'm wrong but, if the therapist make you feel that way instead of helping you out, then maybe changing therapist would be a good idea? :hearts:

take care!

years

Hey Black Mantra,

I understand what you mean; although peoples' intentions are good, depression is one of those things you can't understand unless you've been through it, & unfortunately that goes for some therapists too. Listing the "good" things in our lives or comparing us to starving children isn't going to make us feel any better, usually it has the opposite effect. If depression could be cured by a few positive, hopeful comments, no one would suffer from it.

It's hard for anyone to determine exactly what someone means if they say they don't want to live, it's going to bring up questions. A lot of people don't understand how someone can not want to live but not be suicidal. I understand what you mean, but a statement like that is a red flag, especially to MH professionals.

I know how tough it can be to constantly pretend, eventually something is going to come out. And people are going to give you all the cliche sentiments b/c it's all they know to do. I try to remember that they care, & no one likes seeing a loved one in pain, wanting to help is natural. I try to avoid all the "but your so wonderful!"s & tell them what they can do to help... just listen, hang out with me for a while, or whatever.

Someday hopefully someone will write an instruction manual called "What NOT to say to people with depression". Honestly do people want to be so ignorant? People with depression hear things differently. They say "but you are so young, give it time, things will get better". You hear "just great, more time to suffer". They say "Only you can make yourself happy." You hear "Wow, you couldn't have picked a worse man for the job!" My personal favorite, "keep yourself busy, get your mind off of things". If I can get out of bed first maybe I'd have a shot at that. Sorry to rant but YES normal people annoy me very much and the fact that they annoy other people with depression annoys me even more.

Someday hopefully someone will write an instruction manual called "What NOT to say to people with depression". Honestly do people want to be so ignorant? People with depression hear things differently. They say "but you are so young, give it time, things will get better". You hear "just great, more time to suffer". They say "Only you can make yourself happy." You hear "Wow, you couldn't have picked a worse man for the job!" My personal favorite, "keep yourself busy, get your mind off of things". If I can get out of bed first maybe I'd have a shot at that.

You said it so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

all depressives should carry around a big sign that says 'handle with care', haha. people are crushing. 90% of them annoy me senseless. i hate to say it, but most people are dull, rude, shallow and arrogant. look around you...people generally suck.

Edited by rowanramshackle