How Does Your Depression Feel?

Wariogiant

I feel like my emotions are all very weak/blunted, and whenever I try to experience pleasure by listening to music, reading a book, or watching a movie, I don't get that same rush of adrenaline or euphoria that I used to. I just simply CANNOT feel the happiness/euphoric feelings flowing inside my head. Also my depression is very physical with my head feeling like a feather, an altered perception of my surroundings, etc....

I remember the first time I noticed it as a 'different' feeling. I was about 12 and we had friends round. It was the summer and my brother said 'Lets go out to have a water fight!' Everyone was like 'YEAHHH!', you know, how kids do. But I wasn't excited at all. I couldn't be bothered. I just didn't feel like it.

I did go out and I ended up having a good time, but it kind of felt like I didn't have the energy to enjoy it. Little did I know then what it was gonna turn into =/

Other than that I'm not sure how to describe it, its been a while so I'm not sure I could describe 'normal', and differ it from 'depressed'.

Hi wariogiant,

Are you on meds? Just wondering since what you described is how I've felt before on certain meds (like Effexor for example).

Anyway, yep. I feel like you often.

Sometimes, I'll try to do something to *stir up* some feelings, like:

--- watch a super scary horror movie

--- listen to a playlist of upbeat music (carefully picking the right lyrics)

--- go out in the middle of nowhere (usually near the lake) and scream as loud as I possible can, lol.. but seriously I do

--- run, just get on a trail and run until I want to drop.. and no, I'm not an exerciser at all, but it does make me "feel"

That's just a few on my personal list, not for everyone...

Do you have a list of things you could try?

Edited by Deja

Hi Wariogiant,

anhedonia: inability to feel pleasure

"In psychology, anhedonia is an inability to experience pleasure from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise, and social or sexual interaction."

That may be what you're experiencing.

One of the symptoms of depression is the inability to enjoy things that used to give you pleasure. In short, anhedonia.

The altered feeling might be derealization:

"Derealization (DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems strange or unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional colouring and depth."

My mind feels generally "unclear" during a depressive episode....Like their is pressure inside, brain chemicals feel all out of whack, a headache that no headache tablet will ease, brain fog all over and I can't talk.

The only thing that seems to help me through these d-periods is sleep. After a good sleep, my head somewhat returns back to a normal feeling. Only to have these feeling return again and again and again.......Depression is a never ending cycle for me & no med has helped. I'm so over it.....

Hi wariogiant,

Are you on meds? Just wondering since what you described is how I've felt before on certain meds (like Effexor for example).

Anyway, yep. I feel like you often.

Sometimes, I'll try to do something to *stir up* some feelings, like:

--- watch a super scary horror movie

--- listen to a playlist of upbeat music (carefully picking the right lyrics)

--- go out in the middle of nowhere (usually near the lake) and scream as loud as I possible can, lol.. but seriously I do

--- run, just get on a trail and run until I want to drop.. and no, I'm not an exerciser at all, but it does make me "feel"

That's just a few on my personal list, not for everyone...

Do you have a list of things you could try?

Yeah I'm on Zoloft, Lamictal (just started 3 days ago), and Geodon. I feel like this even when I'm off all the meds though. I'm hoping that if we hit norepinephrine or dopamine, which we haven't really yet, my problem will go away. (Cymbalta and then Wellbutrin)

I try to have a list of constructive things to do during the day, but I never feel like going out or doing anything socially. It's been 3 months that I've been under treatment for this, and let me tell you, I'm getting fed up with this, lol.

Hi Wariogiant,

anhedonia: inability to feel pleasure

"In psychology, anhedonia is an inability to experience pleasure from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise, and social or sexual interaction."

That may be what you're experiencing.

One of the symptoms of depression is the inability to enjoy things that used to give you pleasure. In short, anhedonia.

The altered feeling might be derealization:

"Derealization (DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems strange or unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional colouring and depth."

Yeah I figured it was anhedonia and depersonalization/derealization. Thanks though. :hearts:

Edited by Wariogiant