Scientific Questions

granted, in my experience, antidepressants initially lessen ones stress levels, thus aiding in the regrowth of nerve dendrites, thus improving cognition, BUT on the flipside, it seems that every antidepressant I've ever taken also dulls cognitive ability, thus slower thinking, less creative, etc.

anyone else? and what to do?

My solution - is to be on very low doses of ADs, so that cognition doesn't feel impaired. I'm talking 12 mg Zoloft and 50 mg Wellbutrin.

I hope you're doing this under the guidance of a doctor - your health is NOT something to experiment with!

I am more lucid on meds that work, and have found that having too high or too low of a dose can cause me to be 'foggy-headed.' Perhaps you do need a med adjustment, or a switch to another med, but that's something that you should talk to your doctor about. We're not qualified to help you with that, I'm afraid!

Take care,

Dewayne

My personal experience is that when my depression and anxiety are under control, I feel more clear-headed and can actually think better. It's when my symptoms flare up (especially anxiety) that I get, as the previous poster said "foggy headed."

I also want to reiterate that the dose of your meds should be discussed with your doctor before mucking about with it.

millee :hearts:

I'm always the last one to hear about things, so when I read about Tianeptine (Stablon) last week, I was absolutely floored - but not TOO surprised. In short, it's an antidepressant made in France (not available in U.S.) that enhancer the re-uptake of serotonin between cells; e.g. the total opposite mechanism of action as SSRIs. And wallah!, it's proven to relieve depression at the same rate as SSRIs.

I'm just tickled...just WHAT are these drugs we're on, and how are they REALLY relieving depression!!!!!

I'm always the last one to hear about things, so when I read about Tianeptine (Stablon) last week, I was absolutely floored - but not TOO surprised. In short, it's an antidepressant made in France (not available in U.S.) that enhancer the re-uptake of serotonin between cells; e.g. the total opposite mechanism of action as SSRIs. And wallah!, it's proven to relieve depression at the same rate as SSRIs.

I'm just tickled...just WHAT are these drugs we're on, and how are they REALLY relieving depression!!!!!

Alcohol is a downer, yet many depressed people drink to relieve depression and stress.

Life is strange.

Alcohol is a downer, yet many depressed people drink to relieve depression and stress.

Life is strange.

Medical experts have always recommended to limit the intake of alcohol. This is due to several effects it has on an individual

Very interesting. Although, it still says that it *increases the availability* of seratonin. From what I can tell, it increases the synthesis AND reuptake of serotonin.

It is funny that no one is still really sure exactly how the ssris and other psychiatric drugs work, but I do think that researchers have a good idea of it and are getting closer to the full truth as research is continued.

• 4 weeks later...

I know anti-seizure meds inhibit firing, but for some of us on SSRIs, we feel a helluva lot stupid on them, just slower in the mind. So I wonder whether this is true: that SSRIs inhibit firing....and whether there is anything out there to enhance neuronal firing.

The whole idea of SSRIs - flooding synaptic gaps with serotonin - seems totally pointless if ones depression is that their neurons fire poorly...cant someone come up with a drug to enhance neuronal firing?

Hi,

I know for me that other than being forgetful with names, I can think more clearly on the right med. I have been on other meds that helped with depression but kept me foggy-headed, so I understand what you're saying, but I'd discuss this with your doc and see if you can find something that helps AND keeps you clear headed.

As far as neural firing, I really dunno..... I do know that SSRI's have been shown to actually cause neurogenesis, or the production of new neurons which should help I would think... But I'm no doctor, just another patient.

Take care,

Dewayne

We all metabolize, respond and react to meds differently. I'm on Zoloft and Amitryptaline (plus 3 other pmeds) and they don't impair cognition for me. Talk to your pdoc for feedback on what other AD's or maybe a mood stabilizer you could try.

Sheepwoman

It seems pretty rational, I think, to have a look-see at the brain to aid in diagnosing mental illness...

...unfortunately, its use is not widely accepted, or used, and is surely much more expensive that simple face-to-face consultations. Regardless, I don't see how it would hurt to have it done.

Anyone have any experience in using this?

Prior to taking antidepressants, I had a very active and sharp mind. Mixed with anxiety, I was freaked out much of the time.

After antidepressants (2 years), my mind is very dull and slow, "unexcited" and not active. Yea!

(And disclaimer for Admins: MY experiences are only MY experiences. This doesn't happen to everyone.)

JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCES SIMILAR THINGS?

Prior to taking antidepressants, I had a very active and sharp mind. Mixed with anxiety, I was freaked out much of the time.

After antidepressants (2 years), my mind is very dull and slow, "unexcited" and not active. Yea!

(And disclaimer for Admins: MY experiences are only MY experiences. This doesn't happen to everyone.)

JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCES SIMILAR THINGS?

From what I've read on here I think pretty much everyone has it! I am having a big problem with my memory at the moment - it took me ten mintues and a phone call to think of a word today. I mentioned it to my nurse today and she said it was par for the course with the tablets. It's very annoying.

Hi, my name is Ted. I am diagnosed "depressed," but am not sad, nor emotional, my brain just doesn't seem to be turned on, or alive, or working correctly. I am unable to feel normal levels of pleasure.

Now, any number of doctors could diagnose me any different way. So far, no medications (stimulant, SSRI, SNRI) have worked. I'd REALLY like to know how my brain works/doesn't work, instead of crap-shooting with new medications monthly, for a largely undefined illness.

So, any better way to diagnose mental illness more specifically? New ways in the future?

Hi, my name is Ted. I am diagnosed "depressed," but am not sad, nor emotional, my brain just doesn't seem to be turned on, or alive, or working correctly. I am unable to feel normal levels of pleasure.

Now, any number of doctors could diagnose me any different way. So far, no medications (stimulant, SSRI, SNRI) have worked. I'd REALLY like to know how my brain works/doesn't work, instead of crap-shooting with new medications monthly, for a largely undefined illness.

So, any better way to diagnose mental illness more specifically? New ways in the future?

I have to agree with you regarding this diagnosis from doctors.. antidepressant are now given like MNMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had issue with my hormones because of long time breastfeeding and instead of having the right treatment I was prescribed Zoloft..!!

How bad is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi crashtst

I unfortunately do not know much about it. Could you explain a little more about it?

I hope there is someone else that has had experience using it comes along.

Trace

Hi crashtst

I unfortunately do not know much about it. Could you explain a little more about it?

I hope there is someone else that has had experience using it comes along.

Trace

i believe,they moniture your brain waves while showing you different picture to see what part of your brain reacts to what type of images, and how it re-acts. They have used it in studys of petifiles and ******s to see if their brain works differantly the other normal people...I belive it is still in a study phase. But yes it would be nice if they could hook us up for an hour and definately say what is wrong and why and heres how to fix it.

LonelySindy,

You're thinking of an fMRI, which monitors active blood flow in the brain, so if you're thinking "x" a certain part of the brain will light up, if you're thinking "y" another part lights up.

SPECT instead monitors total brain blood flow, what parts are low and which are high. So for those with depression, the frontal cortex, hippocampus, and amygdala may show low blood flow, or "brain activity."

For example, if someone takes an SSRI antidepressant, I've heard that it limits the "effectiveness" of the D-1 receptor in the frontal cortex. Etc. Etc.

Is this possible? That taking an antidepressant can actually cause imbalances in SOME people. (obviously, everyone is different)

It seems pretty rational, I think, to have a look-see at the brain to aid in diagnosing mental illness...

...unfortunately, its use is not widely accepted, or used, and is surely much more expensive that simple face-to-face consultations. Regardless, I don't see how it would hurt to have it done.

good point and something that should be more widely used. While I understand everything costs money, I think most people will agree that the world cares more about how much they make than about people. It's very sad.

I agree that medical tests should be completed in addition to interviews.

But I haven't heard of anyone (nor I) who has received any brain scans or tests for mental illness. But it should be done.

Some time ago, I read that there was promising research into genetic markers that would predict which meds would be most effective for a patient. And I've recently read that there has been a test developed for chronic fatigue syndrome - let's hope that all mental illnesses can be diagnosed and treated scientifically in the VERY near future.

Take care,

Dewayne

good point and something that should be more widely used. While I understand everything costs money, I think most people will agree that the world cares more about how much they make than about people. It's very sad.

I agree that medical tests should be completed in addition to interviews.

But I haven't heard of anyone (nor I) who has received any brain scans or tests for mental illness. But it should be done.

I forget at the moment what this is called, but some firm/institution/individual is doing it in CA. Thus far it seems nothing has been determined to be conclusive in DXg BP nor any other MI. There just seems to be some "colors" in something similar or identical to a brain MRI. Google it and read yourself into oblivion, and you'll come away more confused than you probably are about the current meds you are being prescribed. From what I have seen regarding the brain testing, it's all about "if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, then you can at least baffle em with bull****". In other words, it's sorta like one of those "spinning paintings" you might have done at the fair as a kid where colored paint went everywhere, but the "meanings" to you might have been so cherished, yet they express what you see with your own eyes and believe what the "carny" tells you they represent.

I do believe that we as peeps with MIs/disorders will seek anything to validate our DX. But, why? At what cost? I'm NOT my DX in the first place, and I certainly don't need to spend anything to get validation regarding myself.

I'm not one for going out and buying the South Beach Diet Cookbook believing it'll cure obesity if you're inclined, predisposed(genetically or otherwise) to be fat. You could just double the recipes in the book, eat as much as you want, and still you're fat.

I have read nothing of these tests that would lead me to believe they are perhaps only for the rich who are in turn seeking some "personal care" wealth-building "professional" to part fools of thier money.

For now, it would seem you'd be more prudent in trusting the FDA, as falible as it is, than tossing money into a totally meaningless "MRI DX" where only a couple of brain scans suitable for framing are tossed at you with a few $Store document frames to "prove" what you are.(?)

Deepster