Sign in to follow this  
frangipani

Is Anyone Taking More Than 200mg Of Zoloft?

Anyone? If so, how has it worked?

Hey, I took 250 for OCD symptoms. It used to work amazing for me at lower doses, like 100mg, but had been on and off it for years. Anyway, I actually felt like lower dosages worked better. I may have been overstimulated. My doctor said that my OCD had been treatment resistant though, and wanted to add Risperdal, for an off market treatment. However, I didn't want to mess with Risperdal for risk of sideeffects. Anyway, I am currently on Lexapro 10 mg daily, which works pretty well. I was on 20 mg daily, but was over-stimulated. I am very sensitive to meds, because I'm in recovery, and don't use any chemicals. Anyway, Zoloft had been a great drug for me, actually the best out of all them for years. So, I would definately keep working with that drug, and see what happens. It's tough to go through adjustments though, and scary! Amazingly, I didn't have sexual sideeffects at the high dose of zoloft, but was on buspar, which helped with those sideeffects. i also found that a little ginseng does wonders for those side effects. Goodluck, Mark

since 200mg is the official limit, theres only a couple of topics on the internet about higher doses..and they are related to obsessive compulsive disorder tests.

i remember asking my doc why 200mg is the top, he say that secondary effects become much more notorious and usually on hospitalized people.

Hey, I took 250 for OCD symptoms. It used to work amazing for me at lower doses, like 100mg, but had been on and off it for years. Anyway, I actually felt like lower dosages worked better. I may have been overstimulated. My doctor said that my OCD had been treatment resistant though, and wanted to add Risperdal, for an off market treatment. However, I didn't want to mess with Risperdal for risk of sideeffects. Anyway, I am currently on Lexapro 10 mg daily, which works pretty well. I was on 20 mg daily, but was over-stimulated. I am very sensitive to meds, because I'm in recovery, and don't use any chemicals. Anyway, Zoloft had been a great drug for me, actually the best out of all them for years. So, I would definately keep working with that drug, and see what happens. It's tough to go through adjustments though, and scary! Amazingly, I didn't have sexual sideeffects at the high dose of zoloft, but was on buspar, which helped with those sideeffects. i also found that a little ginseng does wonders for those side effects. Goodluck, Mark

Thanks for such a detailed response, Mark. I really appreciate it.

If you don't mind my asking, how has BuSpar worked for you? It's another med I'm considering for my anxiety (I'm currently taking Klonopin) and hoping it might affect my OCD too.

Anything you might have to say would be greatly appreciated!

since 200mg is the official limit, theres only a couple of topics on the internet about higher doses..and they are related to obsessive compulsive disorder tests.

i remember asking my doc why 200mg is the top, he say that secondary effects become much more notorious and usually on hospitalized people.

Thanks newtech,

I read a study where there was a group that was given 250mg to 400mg of Zoloft for OCD. That group had lower OCD scores at the end of the study than the group at 200mg.

I haven't been able to find much more info so I'm trying to get some anecdotal info before my next pdoc appt.

Hey, I have been taking buspar for a couple of years. It has been ok at best. I avoid any of the other anxiety drugs, because I'm in recovery. Buspar is supposed to be non-addictive. It is used alot to combat the sexual side effects from anti-depressants. My psychiatrist said he thought it was a lousy anti-anxiety drug. Anyway, I haven't really noticed a whole lot of anti-anxiety relief from it. Maybe, I am just used to it though. Anyway, I have found meditation and relaxation techniques to be helpful with my obsessions, and anxiety. I just don't always set aside time to do them. You could give buspar a shot, but it is generally known as a mild drug for anxiety. Some people have good experiences with it though, and have written positively about it.

Thanks sig,

Yeah, I'm getting the sense that BuSpar might be a bit too mild for the amount of anxiety I'm dealing with. I'll ask my pdoc about it but am not ready to pin my hopes on it.

May I ask what dosage you're on?

I'm prescribed 15 mg twice daily. I think it goes up to 60. However, i have usually only taken 15mg daily. I'm starting to take it correctly again. Anxiety is rough. I cycle with it. Sometimes it goes away, but then comes back. Does anything seem to work wiht your anxiety?

Seroquel, Seroquel, Seroquel. It works great for my anxiety (OCD, mood swings, insomnia, everything)...not so great for my weight, though.

I'm trying to go off Seroquel for good which is why I'm on this med quest. I used to take benzos but am not liking them very much right now. Ativan makes my body sluggish but my mind still races. Klonopin is helping but is making me SO tired! I also took Xanax (and Xanax XR) a couple of years ago but I don't remember how it worked.

So far, when I go back to my pdoc, I'm going to ask about the options of increasing my Zoloft, putting me on Luvox, and/or trying BuSpar. Maybe, though, I'll just stick it out with the Klonopin. Hopefully it won't make me sleepy forever.

Thanks for asking. If you have any thoughts about the above, please feel free to share.

I have been taking 300mg a day. I feel pretty damn good. My Doctor gave me shit and told me to go back to 200mg.

Is there a risk of to much damage to your body? I have obtained  online Sertraline and have enabled myself to continue at 300mg if I don't feel right at 200mg.

What reason, and why exactly, is it so forbidden to go over 200mg?