A New Look Read more... ×
FA 2

Journaling

journaling is probably the most powerful thing I have encountered for dealing with my depression. By writing about feelings, we gain control over them because we express them in words. The thoughts that I write about quickly lose the power that they have over me otherwise.

a few years back i did a journal for about a year. i got board with it. i have alway like to draw. and do so in a tablet. i found and art book i had not read in years and there was the answer. i now do an art journal. i draw and write all over the pages. if i can say it i draw it. if i cant draw it i say it. it is realy fun and it records all kind of events. u can even use color. it helps a lot. the book is called the creative license aby danny creagory.

Hi there,

I was googling "depression - journals" and managed to find this site. I've recently turned 21 and have been in a depression slump most of my teenage years. not understanding what really was 'wrong' with me until very recently. I have started a blog to help me journal my experience, and help me get through this long and frustrating time. I just wanted to share my blog with someone that could possibly understand how I'm feeling, and can relate. I have shared it with other people but they just don't 'Get it'. I look forward to reading more posts, and hopefully becoming a regular on this site. I struggle with severe depression (suicide attempted twice), anxiety, PTSD beside various other health issues. I appreciate you taking the time to read my dribble. hahaa.

Regards,

Michelle :)

I would truly appreciate if you could stop by my blog: beobsessedwithpretty.blogspot.co.nz ;)

I guess it's different for everyone. I've never really journaled regularly but whenever I write my thoughts somewhere I don't feel like I'm releasing any negativity at all. I'm simply bringing it to the surface and it's not just confined to my mind anymore but it's also on an electric screen. So what? Just because I can read it back to me doesn't mean it's still not inside me, you know? If anything it makes it more difficult to let go off because I think about it too much, and I'm not getting any closure. Really to me there's no difference between thinking and writing because nothing is "solved", it's still a circle of thoughts, endlessly repetitive.

Even writing here, although some people read it, it's not read by the people I really want to read it, the people that need to know what I think and feel so I can get what I need, acceptance and understanding. Everybody here are strangers I will never meet and get to know so it's "safe" that way.

I've tried this sort of thing before, both with regular journaling and a blog, but have failed at keeping it updated. I don't understand why it has been so difficult for me considering I have a journalism degree and write for a living. I think having a list of questions to answer will help me.... I think I'll try it again.

I used to keep a diary of my thoughts and feelings and related events nearly every day for 30 years. I didn't use dates. I didn't use names. I made up words to replace ones I used a lot and personified certain concepts. I used to write at the end of the day in bed, or before that if I encountered a problem I needed to sort out. I used to think it through from every angle, and decide impartially if I had done wrong or not, and correct myself and make amends if I had, and forget it if I did right. I couldn't bear guilt. It was tremendously therapeutic to put down - literally - the burdens of life and I could walk around not thinking about problems because I could always refer back to them if I needed to. It helped me develop writing skills and clarity of thought, and in all that time apart from appendicitis, caesareans and catching cold once every 5 years, I was never once ill. I used to be prone to negativity, didn't have much drive, but never got seriously depressed. 10 years ago I stopped, now I have severe depression. I wonder if there's a connection...

Keeping a journal of your feelings, events and perhaps overall condition in life is a great technique to both help cope and be on the path to overcoming depression.

What you can also do is go the blogging route. You may be surprised at how much support you can find (given the proper time for your blog to grow and prosper). Plus, you don't have to talk about things related to depression alone. This can help you figures out perhaps new interests in life that could spark passion in you once again. For example, while your main topic maybe depression, you could look at books, video games, movies or physical activities from time to time on the blog :).

I started to keep a journal when my panic attacks/anxiety kicked back in, last December.

I've been pretty consistent with it up until now. I noticed i started to feel a bit more relaxed lately, so the journalling has stopped for now. I wonder does anyone have experience with this and should i continue on as it has helped this far? I just feel lazy and i don't want to go into details at the moment as i'm content.

Bullet Journal

If you have not heard of the bullet journal method I would highly recommend giving it a quick look through on Google, and Pinterest especially. I have been using it for about 5 months now (and journals in general since I was 6). I am completely in love with my bullet journals and I use them every single day.

They are customizable, can be complex or very simple, can keep you organized, gives you a writing and creative outlet if so desired. All in one book. It sounds cheesy but it has changed my life, made a big impact for me personally.

1.  One of the things I find disturbing is that the word "journal" is now a verb.  (My mother and I are the grammar police; my father says "language is what people speak and is always evolving.") 

2.  I wrote in journals for years, and then brought them with me when I moved across the country.  I was recently trying to downsize the things I brought with me, and in looking through my journals (there must of been forty or more), discovered I'd been writing about the same issues for THIRTY YEARS..  It was painful to see that one of my core issues proved to be the one I still fight with today: to learn when to walk away--from everything from a job I hate to a relationship that's not working.  Seeing it all written down made me sick, so I threw them all away.  It was a big step toward personal sovereignty.

3.  I now have a blog and write about . . . other stuff.  All kinds of stuff.  From my perspective, of course, but about things bigger than I. 

If keeping a journal helps you, keep writing.  Your experience will surely be different than mine and everyone's else.  

Whatever it takes.    

@In2deep4me Yes I'm just working on setting up my second one right now :) I decided to format it in such a way that instead of one book last one year (January through December) I just have them last one year from the start point (for this one of mine, March through February). I just move to a new one when the last one is full.

I want to get back into journaling. However, a part of my PTSD was having my diary at 12 years old (14 years ago) confiscated and taken to court as evidence in a trial. My whole personal world was read in front of my parents, lawyers, cops, a judge, and all the other folks who sat behind me in my darkest hour. 

I know the odds of this ever happening again are slim to none. I know journaling is important for improving mental health. But to be honest, I’m scared. How can I keep a journal safe? Is it ok to even let my therapist know I have one? I don’t even know if I’ll tell my partner. I trust him wholeheartedly, but my brain catastrophizes. 

I can't remember if I have posted on this thread before, but, here goes: I keep tons of journals, I find them to be very therapeutic...I can write whatever I like in them and it helps to get out all my feelings and rants when I am writing my feelings out on paper, it helps me to get it out and relax...I always try to hide them in weird places so nobody can read them obviously...8-]]

Edited by Paris43

I tried, barely, to start. Didn’t even get the new book out of its plastic. I began to feel anxious and scared it would somehow still fall in the wrong hands. 

I told my fiancé I needed the bedroom to myself for a bit to concentrate on something and I needed full privacy. He began to ask questions. I told him no one could know what I was doing, not him or my therapist even. He went quiet for a bit n I can tell he was worried. I told him it wasn’t anything bad, so he asked if it was something to better myself. I said yes and he left it at that. 

The whole interaction made me second guess trying to keep a journal. I became anxious about my feelings and what it meant to document them. I’ll still try again, but not tonight.