Smoking?

SicOne

Smoking..  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you smoke?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think it helps with anxiety or depression?

• Yes
    • No

I used to, off and on for 30ish years. Most recently I stopped about 14 months ago, and again about 8 months ago. The 14 months ago was because the combination of smoking and Wellbutrin was making me feel more anxious and rather nauseous, though I started again anyway. About 8 months ago I started running. I had started this because the therapy and meds were helping a lot, but nothing seemed to really crack the occasional mood crashes. My Pdoc and therapist suggested running. It was an immediate mood boost and smoking just meant that I was gasping for air even more at the end of a run. I had to give up one of them so I quit smoking; cold turkey. This time I don't miss it, mostly; perhaps it's the running high.

For those who want to quit, I feel your pain; though you'll be glad that you did. Good luck

I agree with gentle sun; in the long run it just makes it all worse.

J

• 4 weeks later...
A couple things tht helped me to quit:

I withdrew from them gradually like you would a drug. I would cut back 1 for 2 weeks, then 1 again for 2 weeks. If I felt it was too hard, I would go back up by the 1 for another week or more if needed. Then when I felt like I had that licked, I would cut back again by 1. So on and so forth. When I got to 3 or 4 pretty stable, I would stop.

The other thng that helped was taking Wellbutrin. It helped a lot with the cravings.

GS

LOL! Gentle Sun! I've never thought about this before because "titration" is normally a term I think of with meds. I think your reference to using this as a method for smoking cessation is a first. Only we p med folks could even understand that, and we're prolly the only folks on earth who'd actually think of it as a "tried and true method" for anything!

Out there in the "real" world, and the medical professional world, the term for smoking cessation is generally "cold turkey" or nothing at all.

My pdoc just "never asks". My t group humours me, and gently guides me to quitting. My GP is the only one that I don't think would buy the titration method of cessation. Of course, he has absolultely no clues regarding my MI issues either. He recently suggested Chantix, and I point blank "advised him" that that was contra-indicated due to MI meds and issues. He dropped it. LOL! I keep my GP and MI docs totally seperated. If I have "physical" issues I'm more likely to know what I can and cannot combine than he is. If I have an MI issue, I go directly to my pdoc. I keep the two conveniently seperated and am more likely to call my pdoc for medical advice, interaction advice, etc., than I am my GP. Love him, and he's a good grounded country GP, but I keep my MI issues between me and the pdoc. So, I think he gets the message that I consider my smoking(or cessation) none of his business. Hmmmm....he seems to respect that!

Deepster

I smoke... and I don't smoke. Smoking is weird with me. No matter how much or long I smoke, it still makes me sick. I smoked for 3 or 4 months every day, then I quit for quite a while, then I smoked for a couple of months, and now I'm not really smoking again. I get the buzz and it calms me and helps me straighten my head out, but unfortunately at the same time it makes me nauseous and dizzy. Always has. I understand that it's normal to have some adverse affects at first, but for me it just never went away. As such, I've never been addicted. I just used it for clearing my head and setting myself straight when I needed to. There are better drugs out there though, so I'm not as interested in smoking.

i smoke...i enjoy and like smoking, especially socially. i love a cig with a cup of coffee or glass of alcohol. it does relax me a little, but i wouldn't say it has a significant positive effect on my depression/anxiety. it's just a habit, and a bad one.

thats pretty much how it is for me too.

I smoke, have done since I was about 15. Does it help? Yes in the short term, no in the longterm. The heaviest I've smoked was 20 a day. These days between 5 and 10, some days none at all. I enjoy the sensation but some days I really don't feel like a cig, so don't have one. I can never smoke in the morning, don't know why, it's just the last thing I want. But other people smoking around me is fine, I like other peoples smoke, always have.

I grew up in a household of smokers, the smell of anything to do with tobacco is very comforting to me in a nostelgic sense. While at the same time I always worry about my parents who still smoke. Yeah, if only smoking were healthy.

I smoke when I have bad maniac episodes, today I smoked after not having smoked in a few months. I don't consider myself a smoker though, because I do it so rarely. I like it but since I know it's bad for me I don't do it. i think that it is the only thing I have control over. My parents don't smoke and none of my friends do, so i think that also I've grown up in a "non-smoking environment".

I don't like telling people I don't smoke though because then they go on rants against smokers and then I feel like a liar and fraud. Meh, people want yes no answers to everything!

Guest Mogwai

When i used to smoke it didn't help with the anxiety - it added to it. Smoking is addictive and makes you want more, it gives you cravings which is a sort of bodily anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

I smoke and I believe it has helped my depression and anxiety many a times, not so much in the long term but at particular moments, like at my worst its given me that breathing space to stop and think clearly. I know its sound stupid and smoking is ******* me but its been my lifesaver that many times......................I really dont know if I will ever quit

Yes I do smoke and I believe it helps with my anxiety and depression, because it is a crutch for me and some days it is my best friend. When it does not help with my anxiety and depression is when I am down to my last 5 cigarettes and my partner has not bought me more or given me money so that I may purchase them. I buy the cheaper cigs here in Manitoba - not popular name brand. I can get 2 packs of cigs and a chocolate bar for $20.13 CDN. Wish I was only paying $1 per pack. Heck, I would even be okay with $5 per pack. :hearts: There was a time in my life that I would smoke up to 2 packages a day. I got down to 1 package for a long time. Out of financial necessity I smoke no more than 12 per day, with 12 being a heavy smoking day.

Hugs ~ Angel :flowers:

Edited by anglcsprt