Are You Ever Happy?

rowanramshackle

Yes I do but the crazy thing is, even despite doing very well and my medications are working great.. Sometimes I still have those thoughts it would be so much easier just to **** myself. I've had those thoughts since forever though so they won't even scare me. I am just not one of those people who loves life and I don't think I ever will. Most days I feel pretty good though and when I am with my family or a friend, those are the moments I actually feel happy.

I do feel happy from time to time.  But like some of the others here, I don't feel entitled to it.  & if I get 'too' happy, Someone or Something will seek me out & make sure I'm not happy for quite some time.  Not the most balanced way to live but it is my truth.

I haven;t been what i would call content and happy with my life in a long time. Its really a pitty, i remember enjoying activities that now i would see as a painful chore. I try to hang onto hope, someday im going to be able to shake these problems, until then i must stay strong cool.gif

Wow, six and a half years...

Just wanted to throw out an update to this question. I am happy! The toemos of 2009 did the right thing hanging onto hope, I'm in a new country, with my wonderful girlfriend of 5 years enjoying even the rainiest of days!

If this catches on anyone's radars out there, I can tell you from experience that it can most assuredly get better! I'm sure if past-toemos saw this post he wouldn't have believed it for a second!

I was a bit of a lurker on this forum back in the day, but even without posting I found a tonne of help here; enough to make me come back 6 years later. Keep reading and keep posting guys! I hope to see you all enjoying the rainy days too!

Very cool that you came back and posted. We need to hear success stories. I need them. Thanks.

Edited by birch

I have never been happy.

I have had fleeting moments of being excited about something, sort of like a a headrush after taking a bong hit.  But that's more of a situational response to good news or or something like that, not a feeling of being happy about my life or anything.

I can't remember ever being happy. There has always been something missing or wrong, no matter how close I came to it. Always a missing piece that aches because I don't know how to mend it. I do get occasional fleeting moments when I feel a tinge of what I would consider peace, but it never lasts longer than a few seconds or minutes. I feel suspended more than anything else, like I'm stuck between so many emotions that I'm at a stand still and feel numb. Not sure if that makes any sense, but nothing ever seems to be simple when it comes to me.

~Rose

Everyone is different. Although I've had some ups and downs, I was incredibly happy for most of my 45 years.

This time last year I was happier than I've ever been, if a bit stressed.

The stress turned into panic and triggered a severe depression. Since then I have not had a single moment of authentic happiness. 11 months with no relief whatsoever. Things continue to get worse.

It depends what I consider happiness. There are little happy moments but they bring nothing in my life and they don't make me feel better. I had only once experienced prolonged happiness and it was the happiest moment of my life. It was 6 years ago and I never felt like this again. Happy moments-yes, but it's not enough to bring to my life sense. I hope there is a light for me and in 4-5years I am going to be happy again.

• 2 weeks later...

Up and down here too. As I type this, I'm quite happy. But something could come along in the next minute to drag me down.

Right now, I'm facing some tough meetings at work, I'm completely broke (negative balance in checking!) but I'm still happy.

Check back with me in 15 minutes.

it varies, and yes i am happy sometimes. there are sets of days when i am even happy, it really depends.

resistance is not futile... you can be happy too.

days when i didn't cry or have emotional issues, those days are like a vacation. and i appreciate them.

I feel happy when I am not working and visiting with my best friend who lives in another city.

I am sure when I retire in 3 - 6 years, I'll have many happy moments. I have a niece in L.A. and my best friend in Vancouver and I plan to stay at least one month with each of them on a yearly basis.

No one is happy all the time. The key is to hang onto those moments of happiness and let them spill over onto the rest of your day, That's how non-depressed people's brains work naturally. Depressed people tend to automatically put a negative spin on things like saying, "I was happy but it went away" or "I' knew it wouldn't last." It's not a defect in depressed people. It's just a different way of looking at things. Unfortunately it self-feeds the depression.

Happiness? When i was working in Campbellfield yes, working fo the bus mob in Geelong and being treated like i no dont know anything? No.

Really havent been happy with anything for the past 5 months, well apart from my brother and his girlfriend moving out which is bonus.

I feel moments of happiness but it's usually when I feel I'm doing something I shouldn't such as comfort eating, being lazy or drinking alcohol. I'm not sure if it's genuine though. There's a lot of passive things I find "enjoyable" (browsing the internet, watching tv etc.) but they're not stimulating.

Over the years,i have changed definition of happiness.

Material posession do give happiness but it is not long lasting.

Sex and relationship does give some happiness but it is temporary and depends mostly on monetory status.

so i came to conclusion that absence of unhappiness is happiness.

Now i no longer think of being happy or seek happiness.

I am fine as i am..