Are You Ever Happy?

rowanramshackle

i was just wondering if anyone here experiences moments of happiness? i do very occasionally feel happy and content...it is such a beautiful feeling, but it makes me sad because i know it will go away again. whenever the cloak of depression is momentarily lifted, i know it will fall back again, and i wonder if there's any point in trying. i sometimes get obsessed with moments where i was happy, and try and recreate that situation, which is quite strange, and doesn't work.

in a way, i think we can appreciate happiness in a way that mentally well people cannot. any thoughts?

Edited by rowanramshackle

i was just wondering if anyone here experiences moments of happiness? i do very occasionally feel happy and content...it is such a beautiful feeling, but it makes me sad because i know it will go away again. whenever the cloak of depression is momentarily lifted, i know it will fall back again, and i wonder if there's any point in trying. i sometimes get obsessed with moments where i was happy, and try and recreate that situation, which is quite strange, and doesn't work.

in a way, i think we can appreciate happiness in a way that mentally well people cannot. any thoughts?

((((rowanramshackle)))) I know what you mean!! Sometimes I am very happy and that amazes me when I'm in a not happy mode but I'm grateful for it! Sometimes depression feels like treading water in the ocean and the struggle to be happy feels like swimming against the tide to get to an island of happiness and when you reach that shore you just lay there in the sand so glad to be there and resting and just enjoying your surroundings untill some rouge wave comes and snatches you back out. Sometimes it surprised me and other times I feel like I'm dreading it and expecting it. Then you try to just tread water and not be sucked down by the undertow before you can work up the whatever to swim against the tide and get back on that blessed shore!

I know how you feel!! It's a process and a struggle but a struggle well worth it for the times you get to lay in the sand and be happy!! That's what it feels like to me and I hope that helps in some way! :hearts:

((((rowanramshackle)))) I know what you mean!! Sometimes I am very happy and that amazes me when I'm in a not happy mode but I'm grateful for it! Sometimes depression feels like treading water in the ocean and the struggle to be happy feels like swimming against the tide to get to an island of happiness and when you reach that shore you just lay there in the sand so glad to be there and resting and just enjoying your surroundings untill some rouge wave comes and snatches you back out. Sometimes it surprised me and other times I feel like I'm dreading it and expecting it. Then you try to just tread water and not be sucked down by the undertow before you can work up the whatever to swim against the tide and get back on that blessed shore!

I know how you feel!! It's a process and a struggle but a struggle well worth it for the times you get to lay in the sand and be happy!! That's what it feels like to me and I hope that helps in some way! :hearts:

that's a beautiful analogy, thank you for your thoughts. hope is precious...

Edited by rowanramshackle

I've entered a four-year period in my life where I don't feel happy ever and rarely have fun. I do get some good feelings from music; it saves me in a sense. My heart goes out to you and anyone who can't feel happy. We need it and we deserve it, but the curse of depression unfairly robs us of this precious feeling.

i sometimes feel happy, even in times when im in the black hole and wanting to end it all, there might be a few seconds where i feel a joyis feeling but its a fleeting one and then its gone, i wish for it to return but it usually doesnt for a very long time, i just hope for that day when you can have a full day of joyment without trying to work so hard just to feel normal, watever normal is!!

I haven;t been what i would call content and happy with my life in a long time. Its really a pitty, i remember enjoying activities that now i would see as a painful chore. I try to hang onto hope, someday im going to be able to shake these problems, until then i must stay strong :hearts:

i sometimes feel happy, even in times when im in the black hole and wanting to end it all, there might be a few seconds where i feel a joyis feeling but its a fleeting one and then its gone, i wish for it to return but it usually doesnt for a very long time, i just hope for that day when you can have a full day of joyment without trying to work so hard just to feel normal, watever normal is!!

i couldnt have put my situation better, i have been genuinely happy so few times in the past year that i have almost forgotten what it is like to randomly laugh or not to look pessimistically at every single situation or opportunity that presents itself in my life. That coupled with the effort required to maintain the facade of a normal guy leaves me a tired and bitter wreck.

Have i ever felt/been happy??? This is a question that i've asked myself for a very long time. Reflecting back i've always been an angry person. Apparently i have a self inflicted scowl on my face :flowers: lol

Any how i think i do have fleeting moments of being happy now.. thanks to my :hearts:

I no longer look so much for happiness as I look for peace. Peace filled moments. When they do happen I treasure them and hold them and live in them. I try to realize that it is normal that happiness and joy pass because all things pass. If the happiness and joy pass so will the depths of hellish depression.

Peace seems to come from something within that I have to practice. It is during the most trying stress filled times that I get the most practice.

Also past is past and holding onto being molested, losing loved ones or reliving the tornado experience or any other past pain is just reliving it. Not to say I don

My thoughts on this are.......well okay yes I feel happiness sometimes just not for very long,its hard at this time,I am in a depressing enviornment.However the way I see it is,we should try to savor those fleeting minutes of happiness(easier said then gone prehaps)because,well in the midst of a black hole depression,it matters not a bit if I want to savor it or not,I do,the clock slows to a crawl,each day feels like a week,I am forced to experience every second of the pain in great detail.I think if one must live this way,one might just as well savor every bit of the good times to.Savor every bite of that great meal,savor the sweet scents of that country breeze,savor every bit of that blissful kiss from the one you love.If your forced to feel every detail of the bad,allow yourself to savor all of the good you can as well.

• 6 years later...

I haven;t been what i would call content and happy with my life in a long time. Its really a pitty, i remember enjoying activities that now i would see as a painful chore. I try to hang onto hope, someday im going to be able to shake these problems, until then i must stay strong cool.gif

Wow, six and a half years...

Just wanted to throw out an update to this question. I am happy! The toemos of 2009 did the right thing hanging onto hope, I'm in a new country, with my wonderful girlfriend of 5 years enjoying even the rainiest of days!

If this catches on anyone's radars out there, I can tell you from experience that it can most assuredly get better! I'm sure if past-toemos saw this post he wouldn't have believed it for a second!

I was a bit of a lurker on this forum back in the day, but even without posting I found a tonne of help here; enough to make me come back 6 years later. Keep reading and keep posting guys! I hope to see you all enjoying the rainy days too!

Yes, I have felt bursts of joy that lasted weeks. I can look back on journal entries and mood trackers to confirm this otherwise I wouldn't be able to believe it possible.

There was a documentary on depression I watched recently wherein one of the interviewees mentioned a little ritual he'd perform anytime he did feel happy: he would go out and purchase a small but significant item (figurine, painting, book, etc.) each time he felt a period of joy in his life and put it in his room to serve as a reminder. 

Seems like a good idea. I'd like to try that out. But first I need to figure out how to feel joy again ...

I haven;t been what i would call content and happy with my life in a long time. Its really a pitty, i remember enjoying activities that now i would see as a painful chore. I try to hang onto hope, someday im going to be able to shake these problems, until then i must stay strong cool.gif

Wow, six and a half years...

Just wanted to throw out an update to this question. I am happy! The toemos of 2009 did the right thing hanging onto hope, I'm in a new country, with my wonderful girlfriend of 5 years enjoying even the rainiest of days!

If this catches on anyone's radars out there, I can tell you from experience that it can most assuredly get better! I'm sure if past-toemos saw this post he wouldn't have believed it for a second!

I was a bit of a lurker on this forum back in the day, but even without posting I found a tonne of help here; enough to make me come back 6 years later. Keep reading and keep posting guys! I hope to see you all enjoying the rainy days too!

What an inspiring post!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I'm truly happy for you! :hugs:

I can feel genuine happiness for other people much more easily than for myself.

Moments of happiness for myself seem fleeting and are often followed by guilt that I don't deserve to feel something good.

Yeah, same here. This is a huge hurdle for me to overcome. I was happier earlier today when I was able to take a long walk without breaking out into an alcohol induced sweat. I'm happy right now, hanging out in the library and goofing around on the computer. :smile: