Sign in to follow this  
Nightwalker

Did Therapy Completely Cure You?

Hi Nightwalker,

Therapy didn't get rid of my depression/anxiety but I found it to be a huge help to me. I was able to talk about things that I kept inside and I found that good for me.

Therapy can help with depression. You will learn coping skills to manage the depression. Therapy requires you to do a lot of self-work. The therapist is there for guidance and feedback, They will not give you the answers to your issues. I am Bipolar I, which is a lifelong illnes and I'll always be on medications. I don't know if depression can be totally cured, like cancer, it can go into remission and may pop up later in your life,

Sheepwoman

Therapy alone, did not cure my depression, but it helps me to stay well. Therapy is how I maintain my wellness.

Doug

I never thought much about therapy when i first started but now it helps me cope with life. So i like forward to my weekly sessions.

I personaly dont think therapy works, but that is my own opinion on the topic, i have only ever seen a therapist once and that was when i was 15, after taking an overdose i was made to go see one, at the time i didnt know what was wong with me, i had felt this overwhelming sadness since i was small, i just didnt know how to express how i felt in words, anyway i whent to see this therapist and it was probably the worst experience ever, i am naturaly a closed person and i dont take being scrutinized very well, anyway to cut a long story short, my therapist told every thing that i had said to him to my family and told them that i was just an attention seeker....the saddest part of it all was that i just wanted help and someone to say that they understood what was wrong with me!!......so from there on i have had a phobia about any kind of therapist....

Welcome Snow

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. What you say in therapy, is supposed to be confidential and I find it very wrong, that your family was told. I realize that you are now afraid, but it can help and there are good ones. Very few therapists will tell you that they understand, as they teach you to work on yourself, by telling you they understand, they are sympathising with you, instead of helping you and they are breaking down the client/therapist relationship. Therapy only works, if you are prepared to do the work.

Trace

Welcome Snow

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. What you say in therapy, is supposed to be confidential and I find it very wrong, that your family was told. I realize that you are now afraid, but it can help and there are good ones. Very few therapists will tell you that they understand, as they teach you to work on yourself, by telling you they understand, they are sympathising with you, instead of helping you and they are breaking down the client/therapist relationship. Therapy only works, if you are prepared to do the work.

Trace

Thank you trace, i understand completely what your saying, but i was just a child at the time and as i'm sure you know, when you have a bad experience with something it is in out nature to become wary...maybe i should after all these years go to see a therapist, but if i'm honest i really wouldnt know where to start, i'm not the type of person that likes (or feels comfortable) talking about myself, even though i must admit i have never been apart of something like this forum before and it does bring quite a relief to be able to type freely about my emotional state and not feel that people are judging me, it feels good to be around people who can relate to me :hearts:

Take Care,

Snow

I was told that what I have "bi polar" can never be cured, but it can be managed.

I'd say that it really helps me, without it I would not have learned half of the things I know now, stress reduction, relaxation exercises, how to change your thinking.

I'd totally advise it!

Even if a person does not have any problems, so much can be learned from it about yourself if you find a good one.

Edited by badsleep

I often read that psychotherapy doesn't cure, but it helps with everyday issues and it helps manage depression

I also often read that psychotherapy maybe as effective as drugs or even more

I really don't understand how psychotherapy helped you, can you elaborate? give some example?

eg you thought you were worthless and your therapist tried to convince you that you were not?

give some examples please about what you were told in psychotherapy and how that specifically helped you

thanks

Therapy has helped me cope with my depression.

My therapist has taught me relaxation techniques, meditation, visualisation etc which helps a lot when I am feeling anxious and depressed.

Talking to someone who isn't emotionally bonded to you helps too, it's much easier to talk to a stranger about your depest feeling and fears than a family member for example. Sometimes just getting the bad feelings out by talking really helps a lot.

Shades

Was therapy able to get rid of your depression COMPLETELY?

I think whether therapy will help depends on whether you need what it can provide. It can help you develop insight into the origins and triggers for your depression if you don't already have it. It can teach you coping mechanisms if you don't already have those. And it can help you change behaviors you are aware of but don't know how to change, provided those behaviors aren't chemical in origin (or if they are, you are also taking the needed medication).

I saw my first therapist at the age of two. I expereienced play therapy, group therapy, hypnotherapy, family therapy and behavior modification therapy before the age of ten. After that, I saw a talk therapist for a while in my teens and participated in talk therapy and group therapy on and off in my twenties. Aside from an adult children of disfunctional parents course/group, I don't feel any of it really helped, and most of the therapy I received as a child was destructive and left me feeling that I needed to protect my thoughts from adults who were constantly trying to push into my mind one way or another. My therapy in childhood was fundamentally flawed because it was based around the reality that my parents withheld the extensive history of suicide and depression running through both sides of the family -- a history I didn't know about until I was an adult. Basically, I was being treated with therapy when I probably needed to be medicated -- although given my apparent intolerance for SSRIs, maybe that wouldn't have been possible either.

Ultimately, I see therapists as being similar to chiropractors. Both fields can do a lot of good, but many practitioners think that everyone would would benefit from their services. As a result, people find themselves in therapy when they really wouldn't benefit from what it has to offer -- either because they aren't at a place in their lives to move forward that way or because their core problems aren't issues that can be improved by therapy. I thing the entire field of therapy would be a lot better for it if practitioners were trained to recognize the limits of their profession.

Lulu

I saw my first therapist at the age of two.

you had depression at the age of two??

I have heard of teenagers with depression, but never heard of infants with depression

Hi Wigo

Many small children go to therapy. It is usually called play therapy. Normally they go to therapy if there has been some sort of trauma or marriage break up or the likes. Both my kids have been to therapy at the age of 2 and 3, to check if they were ok, after their father abandoned them and took everything from them.

Kids go to therapy for many reasons, some need speech therapy, some have concentration issues, some have learning disabilities. Its not just depression that people go to therapists for.

Do you have children?

Trace

Guest saturnish

In my opinion, everyone should see a therapist. Granted, some much more than others... Therapy is not intended to "cure" depression. Rather, it is built to help you mentally and emotionally process through things. Sometimes it helps bring out repressed issues, too. For years, I had totally repressed my past sexual abuse. When I started to remember it, my therapist was there to guide me through it and help keep it from turning very traumatic. It was much easier to deal with memories that would surface during therapy than out. They know the right questions to ask to get you to dig really deep in your head and remember things you never thought you could. I'm still not "over it," but I have been empowered with new thoughts and coping mechanisms (good ones) for when the memories become too much.

Hi Wigo

Many small children go to therapy. It is usually called play therapy. Normally they go to therapy if there has been some sort of trauma or marriage break up or the likes. Both my kids have been to therapy at the age of 2 and 3, to check if they were ok, after their father abandoned them and took everything from them.

Kids go to therapy for many reasons, some need speech therapy, some have concentration issues, some have learning disabilities. Its not just depression that people go to therapists for.

Do you have children?

Trace

I don't have yet, but I was specifically wondering about depressions in childs of ages like 2-3

is there any article about this?

how is it manifestated, etc

I don't think therapy is supposed to be a cure. Indeed, what is a "cure"?

Issues are explored and they don't go away but the idea of psychotherapy/counselling is for the client to learn to accommodate them so that they have their place, but do not take over. In other words, so we can get on with life.

I find it useful.

It doesn't cure your problems completely - it may even open doors to new problems that you have to address and work on. But it's a great tool in figuring out your problems, triggers, and ways to make yourself better. :shocked:

I don't have yet, but I was specifically wondering about depressions in childs of ages like 2-3

is there any article about this?

how is it manifestated, etc

Hi wigo, many things can manifest depression in young children, particularly family breakups, relationships between parents who aren't together, witnessing arguements etc etc.

My daughter suffered a lot when she was about 3/4 due to my relationship with her Dad breaking down. She didn't have any therapy but was assessed by a Child Mental Health Team who then referred me to a Parenting Course which I attended.

Girly

I would like to think therapy will ultimately help me to help me leave the craziness behind.

Sure, it is the much-cliched but not to be underestimated two-steps-forward-one-step-back but who's to say anyone of us won't run out of backward steps.

Gis

I am currently in therapy still, i have been going for about a year and half. I truly don't think therapy will ever completely heal or take away my anxiety but it has helped me cope tremendously. She has given me tips on how to calm down in the moment, to how bringing my anxiety level down before entering a situation. I never knew how much therapy could help a person till i ran into a situation that caused me to have severe anxiety.

Hi,

Well I do not think therapy is there to cure you as such. It is a method or set of techniques used to get you to really think about our life and put it into perspective.

With this knowledge you can then go ahead and make the necessary changes to get your life back on course and find a purpose true happiness and a more fulfilling lifestyle.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow