Lindsay

Antidepressant 'withdrawal': Is There Such A Thing?

Most of the reading I did in the past centered on "sleep hygiene" (dark/cool room, relaxing activities before bed, etc.). I  never had trouble going to sleep. I wake up early. If it's 4:00 am or later and *if*  I have some energy, it's my favorite time of day. It seems a lot of women past a certain age experience the same thing. But you and your male family members - do you have any hypotheses as to why this is so? It's discouraging to think psych meds are a life-long requirement. 

I do wonder if people who are physically active all day have less trouble. I know I need to start doing higher intensity exercise. Easy to say.. 

Did a slow taper 10 years ago.After I took none I was dizzy for a month.Had to start back up as depression has been beating me down for years now.I will be on ad's the rest of my life.I tried.

On 12/15/2018 at 4:16 AM, Countryman said:

Did a slow taper 10 years ago.After I took none I was dizzy for a month.Had to start back up as depression has been beating me down for years now.I will be on ad's the rest of my life.I tried.

Well done for trying, though! It's a hard slog, and you can be proud of getting as far as you did.

Well, it does seem that withdrawal is real. Mostly people who say it isn't really just play with semantics, in my opinion. It's like how doctors evade it by saying they're 'dependency forming' rather than 'addictive'. Still, it's all about weighing risks and benefits.

It is most definitely a real thing. Some meds I was on just gave me headaches when I stopped, others my mood swings would be insane. Jekyll and Hyde kind of situation. Usually for me I had the side effects of whatever new med they switched me to on top of it. This was my reality for almost a year every 6 - 8 weeks.

51 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Of course there is withdrawal from them and yes they are addictive.  Try quitting them and see how it goes.  It will be the hardest thing you ever quit.  Quitting seroquel was the hardest thing I ever quit taking.

Exactly.  Outside of Booze, Benzos, and Barbiturates, where withdrawal can actually be lethal, antidepressants are the worst.  Any doctor who says otherwise is a pawn of big pharma or just plain ignorant. 

At least when people detox from opiates/opioids, they know what to expect, they’ll be understood by doctors, and they’ll be given medications to mitigate symptoms.  When you come off of SSRI’s or other antidepressants you’re on your own.  Doctors don’t have answers for brain zaps, depersonalization, and extreme agitation.  They just tell you your depression is back.  

I am in no way minimizing the pain of substance abuse recovery.  I’m just pointing out the ignorance on the subject of antidepressants and withdrawal.  

5 hours ago, sober4life said:

Of course there is withdrawal from them and yes they are addictive.  Try quitting them and see how it goes.  It will be the hardest thing you ever quit.  Quitting seroquel was the hardest thing I ever quit taking.

Yeah, that's a nasty one. Can't imagine why they prescribed it to me, as I don't even have the right symptom profile. Must have been profit-related.

4 hours ago, Hidiety said:

It is most definitely a real thing. Some meds I was on just gave me headaches when I stopped, others my mood swings would be insane. Jekyll and Hyde kind of situation. Usually for me I had the side effects of whatever new med they switched me to on top of it. This was my reality for almost a year every 6 - 8 weeks.

I hate how they then turn around and blame the 'Jekyll and Hyde' thing on your 'condition' instead of just admitting it's withdrawal. (They did to me, anyhow.)

5 hours ago, MargotMontage said:

Yeah, that's a nasty one. Can't imagine why they prescribed it to me, as I don't even have the right symptom profile. Must have been profit-related.

Of course it's profit related.  The only thing that matters to those people is money.

Yep, antidepressant withdrawal is very real and is full of brain zaps and other horrid sensations.  I've been through it on more than one occasion...not much fun.  A very slow taper is the only way to really avoid it.