Sign in to follow this  
Monkey man

What Faiths Are Here

Hi Ananda:

Thanks for sharing your family/faith background. I imagine the connection to different cultures serves you well.

Best,

Tim

I am also a Jew

Unless I missed some one, I appear to be the first Jew to post :P

Orthodox at that, and not a very good one...

But i've recently given up Pork in all it's forms in hopes to start walking a better path in Judaism

I do, however, believe that if G-d is truly Omnipotent and all forgiving, what religion you are should only be a way of indentifying yourself and helping you walk the path to G-d. What's to say a bad Jew should have any more of a chance of 'walking in the next life' so to speak than an Atheist who spends his life doing good deads?

I believe the 7 Noachide laws, or at least something along those lines, are rules that make sense to living in this world and trying to better ourselves.

Religion should only show us how to walk one particular path that, in the end, takes all those who walk it, to the same place

I spent most of my life as a Christian. I dabbled in the occult and Wicca right after high school, but went back to Christianity. Spent the last six years or so studying other religion. To make a long story short, right after my divorce, I converted to Buddhism, and it's been great and interesting. I love it. However, I believe that all religions are equal, valid, and important, as each individual person has to choose the religion that best suits him/her and they're personality. I, for one, think that the multiplicity of different religions is a wonderful thing, that we have the option to pick which one suits us best, to find our way back to the higher reality, or if we choose none at all.

I am also a Christian, specifically LDS, which stands for Latter-Day Saint. Or most commonly known as "Mormon." I was born and raised as one and still remain active because of the support of my family, friends and church members. Although I'm an active member (meaning that I attend the usual service every week and some church activities and bible classes), I still struggle very much to deal with my depression. For several years, I've been trying to just keep it to myself and not seek any help and disclose much personal information about myself because of the pre-conceived notions that people have over this condition. I think I was already aware of the stigma earlier on when I first dealt with it and thought that the only thing that's keeping my life stable is attending church. I knew that if I lost faith in God, I pretty much lost faith in people around me and pretty much my own life. I didn't know who else to turn to. I'm just fortunate enough to have a family who will still take care of me through all this but it still makes it difficult for me to plan out my future, my career and other endeavors.

My father was Jewish, my mother was a german lutheran born in the US. They met in the 50's and married. Neither family approved. I learned about so many religions growing up...Judaism, Christianity (Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Methodist, Baptist), Islam, Buiti, as we traveled and lived in many countries.

I have chosen to be a Unitarian Universalist. I love it. I get to grow as I can, when I can. No-one tells me my soul is in peril, that the Divine hates, or rushes me in my development. When I first joined, I was an atheist. Now...I love the Divine. Can't tell you all I believe as I am still working things out for myself. But, oh I feel it. So much love.