Sign in to follow this  
KingOfTheThing

Mood Stabilizer General Posts

I've heard Lamictal is *supposed* to be weight neutral. I'm on it. I think antidepressants and anti-psychotics are supposed to be the worst for weight gain. Everyone is different, though. Someone can experience no gain and another person could gain significant weight on the same med.

I take carbamazepine (Tegretol), and it has been pretty weight-neutral for me, especially to compare with other drugs that I'm taking/have taken. I also take lamotrigine, and it is weight-neutral for me. I will second Spiritual_Wanderer and say that antidepressants and antipsychotics tend to be the worst offenders when it comes to weight gain.

My pdoc put me on Topamax for mood stabilizer for about a year. I am not sure if I needed the mood stabilization, in retrospect, or if the med actually worked in that direction for me. It was a tough med to get used to initially,but the weight loss was astounding - about 100 lbs. Would consider going back on it, just for that from time to to time. Did use it, from pdoc - about a year ago again. Lost about 15 lbs in 3 days. It had some cognitive clouding associated with it, so went off it at that time, though do not recall the cognitive clouding from before. I have also lost weight on lower doses (20 mg) of Prozac, but gained at higher doses. It is different for just about everyone and best to talk with doc.

PS - was on Lamictal several times. It may be weight neutral, but first time was used to replace Prozac and OCD came out in large degree. Later, tried it with Prozac and felt like I was in la-la land - not a care in the world (in a bizarre way) and memory problems so if had one, would likely forget about it. Again, asking pdoc is best route.

Lamictal works well for me as does lithium in terms of weight gain. I've been on Seroquel for quite a while now and put on 20lbs that I just can't seem to shed. At first it just made my hunger unbearable, now I really don't eat as much and am more active but keep tipping the scales. I once mentioned Zyprexa to my doctor as an add-on but he said, "no, it makes you gain weight." Everyone has their own side effects from these meds just like everyone's doctor has their own own opinion as what meds they prefer to work with.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have tried 4 different mood stabilizers within the last year, two times my depression became so severe so quickly that I ended up hospitalized, the other times I have struggled through..I am going through the most recent one right now. I don't understand this..how something that is supposed to help stabilize me makes my depression beyond unbearable!

I have been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and Adjustment Disorder..there was a question of bipolar 2 because of family history and I have had times of irritability..but no other symptoms of mania.

I am at my wits end, running out of treatment options. I live in a small town and don't get to see my p-doc till march, and can't even call and ask a question of what I should do! My family doctor is a wonderful lady, but she has no idea what to do with me.

The next thing we are considering is the T3 augmentation..grasping at straws here.

any insight would be greatly appreciated!

YES YES AND YES....I have been on about all of them besides topomax. I am stuck on seroquel cause I cannot get off of it for the life of me so for now that is all I am taking and I am pretty depressed. I have to go up to 100mg tonight because my sleep became disrupted on the lower dose 3 days in a row at 50mg.

Maybe you are not bipolar? I question this myself at times even after 12 years of disability?

I ordered some Rhodiola Rosea which is an adaptogen good for regulating your body's cortisol levels, its also an antidepressant and can give you energy. I brought this up with my doctor and she gave me the okay. I am just waiting for it to arrive.

I am grasping at strays...Mainly I have no energy...or I am tired,..wired..with panic attacks.

The only mood stabilizer that helped me for a short time a few seperate times is lamictal but I had to get off that too it always poops out at the 6 month mark for me personally.

Get a second opinion...I think they use family history to diagnose bipolar to easily that is what I think I have but in my opinion it was antidepressant induced!

Yes, for years I was treated as Bipolar and my p/doc was puzzled as to why my mood stabilizers kept crapping out on me. Now being treated in the Borderline Personality Disorder line of things with more attention placed on the psychological aspect.

Lots of similarities between the two and I believe, (just my opinion) Bipolar is way overdiagnosed, or, the p/doc jumps on it much to quickly given the similarities between the two.

I've never been manic, lots of dysphoric mania, hypomania, depression and anxiety with extremely fast shifts in my mood throughout the day, depending on life events at the moment. It is a very reactive disorder and you do not have to be a "CUTTER" to qualify.

I also experience some temporary psychosis that last no more than an hour when my stress levels are taxed.

Just something to consider when one continues to fail on a consistent basis with mood stabilizers and antidepressants. They can help, but you have to realize they can only do so much. Lots of info out there as far as reading etc that can really help one with there constant struggles..

Edited by Upandown

I really appreciate both replies to this post- I am currently in the hospital because my body reacted so horribly to Topomax- within 6 days of starting it, I could barely function and my depression worsened considerably. It has been 5 days since I have taken the last dose and I am finally starting to feel better.

The good thing about being here is that I have had numerous tests done and filled out questionairre's etc. and the psychiatrist here does not think that I have bi-polar, that the hypomania I have experienced in the past was induced by medications. You know, the 'funny' thing is I have always questioned this diagnosis, but felt that if I did not comply to whatever treatment (medication) that was being prescribed that I was being difficult and non-compliant.

Upandown, you are absolutely right about the fact that meds can only do so much...There needs to be a balance.

melpointy, how are you doing? good for you to seek alternative treatment as well. I am researching some supplements as well. With my body being so hyper-sensitive to medication it is important that I work hard to put together an arsenal of 'ammunition' to fight this depression.

I think balance is the key to almost everything in life, sadly right now I am off kilter :verysad3: , but I will get there, yes I will!!

Hospital is good in that it removes you from your daily life stresses and allows you to become more aware of what is happening with your ability, or, lack there of, to function.

Working hard to overcome depression is a positive statement, and may be the key part of your "arsenal". I as well reacted quite bad with Topamax and improved once the med had dissipated.

My p/doc told me I experienced med induced bipolar as well, and that it does not qualify as a true diagnosis for bipolar. I still subconsciously thought that I was bipolar as I obsessively read on the internet and believed all my symptoms were caused by a bipolar imbalance.

With each passing day, I have moments, or, awareness that perhaps my p/doc is right???? My problems are largely psychological in nature and learning new coping skills will play a large part in my recovery. Yes, I may require medication, and I may have bad days as do many people, but my heightened consciousness will keep me from over-analyzing what is happening at this moment in my life.

I believe you will get THERE, yes you will. In fact, you are there now. Being aware that you are there on a daily basis will indeed, help transform your life for the better..... for you.

Please keep well.

It's funny, my pdoc takes the opposite approach that medication induced hypomania is definitely bipolar. There's a lot of people who agree that antidepressant induced hypomania is real bipolar, to the point where it's probably going to be in the DSM-V. Basically nobody who is actually depressed or normal should get hypomanic on SSRIs/SNRIs and if you do, you probably need to be on a mood stabiliser, possibly with an antidepressant.

hi Velthir, thanks for your input- I understand what you are saying in regards to SSRI's and hypomania, but this wasn't what I was on at the time. I have been on 4 different mood stabilizers with an antidepressant and each one caused worsening of depression and other awful side effects.

I believe there is such a thing as bipolar spectrum..and there is also treatment resistant depression with irritability as a side effect. What works for some people will not always work for others. It is a challenging process to try to figure out not only the diagnosis, but the proper treatment.

That's me SNRIs make me bananas. Effexor was the worst I felt out of control the whole time I took it I hardly remember anything from that period. I started Seroquel a few months ago and I'm doing much better on it. I'm tapering off Lyrica it's being problematic it's making my anxiety worse and I'm fed up of being dizzy all the time!

Zyprexa is one of the worst experiences I've ever had with any medication. My depression is unipolar, not bipolar. I was given Zyprexa at a hospital years ago so I "wouldn't feel like hurting myself", but the medication made me feel like bashing my head against the wall. Zyprexa led to my suicide attempt when I was 18, ironically.

I felt like crap on Lithium too.

The only mood stabilizers I've been able to tolerate are the newer anti-epileptics like Lamictal. The antipsychotics are hell for me.

I suffer from depression/anxiety and some OCD too it seems like most of my life. My old doctor that I went to for 10 years had me on SSRI's. My side effects on the SSRI's (Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor) were a jittery racey type anxiety, sexual side effects (less on Celexa), and overslept in the mornings before work because I was so groggy (mornings only). This doctor said I have depression/anxiety, not a mood disorder.

I moved so I now go to a new new doctor and he says I have a mood disorder, not depression/anxiety, because people with mood disorders typically have increased anxiety on SSRI's. So the new doctor says I am having too many side effects on the SSRIs and that if I was on the right medicine I would not have this many side effects. He says that I need to be on mood stabilizers. I'm not sure that I buy that because mood stabilizers have crazy side effects too.

I'm scared of mood stabilizers! They seem to have bad and maybe worse side effects, weight gain, akathisia, thyroid issues, liver damage, etc. I'm more comfortable with SSRI's because of the less scary side effects. I am lucky to be taking Latuda (way expensive though), because it doesn't cause weight gain and has a lot less side effects. It did cause me to have akathisia at the 60 mg dose. Akathisia ***** more than anxiety and and more than any side effects I experienced on SSRIs. I hope the 40 mg dose of Latuda I'm on now will be enough to keep me out of depression since it’s as high as I can go without getting akathisia. I’m not adding another medicine just to cure the akathisia so that I can go on a higher dose of Latuda. I have parania/fear on Latuda and it also seems to wear off about 5pm and I get tired and a little depressed. I tried Abilify before and I was so flat that I didn't have one thing to say to anyone around me. Nothing came to mind. The world around me didn't seem too bright. It was more dar.

If this Latuda doesn't work, then I think I'm back to SSRI's and just accept the side effects. I hear so many issues of people trying all kinds of mood stabilizers (Seroquil, Depakote, Zyprexa, Geodon) and hearing all of their complaints. Do I have just depression/anxiety, or do I have a mood disorder?! Just for the record I do take 100mg of Lamictal, which doesn’t really do too much but I’m also on a low dose of it. Can you take Lamictal by itself?

Main Question: Do you think I’m suffering from a mood disorder because the SSRI’s made me have a jittery racey anxiety?!?! This anxiety feeling is the same type of feeling you get when you too much caffeine. And what do you think about the meds SSRIs vs Mood Stabilizers? I hate antipsychotics so far. One doctor has misdiagnosed me but which one?!

I'm on clomipramine 150mg and my doc has given me lamictal 150mg to take also as my moods vary throughout the day. Since taking the lamictal I have got worse, my mood has got so low I've been crying a lot and getting angry. I've also been unable to cope with the most trivial of things.

Is it the lamictal causing this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'v been diagnosed with major depression, anxiety, ADHD and recently my doctor has mentioned bipolar. I don't think I'm bipolor, I believe I have a mood disorder. My mood is a constant up & down & varies from day to day. My doctor started me on Lithium, but the fear of gaining weight on it really deterred me from taking it. I did try it for a few days, but noticed it caused my wrist & ankles to swell/retain water so I quit taking it. She mentioned starting me on Seroquel, but I'v heard horror stories on how bad the weight gain is on that one so I told her no. She pretty much told me all mood stabalizers cause weight gain and left it at that. Im currently on Wellbutrin 300XL & Adderall 20XR daily. My depression improved alot & I am able to fuction fairly well. I'v been having alot of lows lately & zone out alot, so I really think I need to see my doctor again soon. My moods are still horrible but that's my fault for my unwillingness to go on a mood stabalizer. I would love to try Topamax, I hear it can be prescribed for bipolor or to help moods, plus it's not suppose to make you gain weight. I was on EffexorXR for over 4yrs, worked great until in finally pooped out on me. Coming off of it was hell!!