I've been taking 10mg Lexapro now for about 2 years for what first started as depression, and the last year anxiety has reared its ugly head.

Lexapro works great for my depression, but not for anxiety.

My doctor is switching me from Lexapro to Pristiq. I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience?

I would also appreciate comments on whether or not Pristiq will help just with depression or the anxiety as well?

Thank you!

I saw your post and just had to respond. I've tried just about every anti-d and have terrible side effects from all of them. I was clearly depressed and was having anxiety attacks and my doctor convinced me (with alot of talking) that I needed to try Pristiq. It's the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. Is a sister drug to Effexor (sp?) but with less side effects. And, although the website doesn't say this, it does help with anxiety, as well as depression. I would recommend this to anyone sensitive to other anti-d's or if the one their on is not working. Good luck!

AprilVA

Edited by AprilVA

I saw your post and just had to respond. I've tried just about every anti-d and have terrible side effects from all of them. I was clearly depressed and was having anxiety attacks and my doctor convinced me (with alot of talking) that I needed to try Pristiq. It's the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. Is a sister drug to Effexor (sp?) but with less side effects. And, although the website doesn't say this, it does help with anxiety, as well as depression. I would recommend this to anyone sensitive to other anti-d's or if the one their on is not working. Good luck!

AprilVA

Hi April, How long have you been on Pristiq, and what dose are you taking? I was on 50 mg for almost three weeks, and have now been on 100 mg for almost a week. I had no appetite at all at first, but it's back, and the only problem I'm currently experiecing is fatigue, probably because I can't sleep past 1:00 a.m. I take the Pristiq at night because I was just about falling asleep at work when I took it in the a.m., and I have no problem falling asleep, but I can't stay asleep. I'm hoping that side effect wears off once my body adjusts to the new 100 mg dose. I also experience severe anxiety along with my depression, and I am hoping the Pristiq helps with that. I currently take 0.5 mg Klonopin three times a day, and I'm hoping I can wean off of that if the Pristiq will help with the anxiety.

Are you experiencing any side effects at all? I'm happy to hear the Pristiq is working so well for you.

I have been taking lexapro for years and my doctor switched me to pristiq. I stopped taking the lexapro after 10 days

and I feel horrible! Have had a headache for days and no modivation to do anything. I was feeling better taking both actually. I was told pristiq is just another version of effexor because effexor is coming out in generic form soon and pristiq is expensive so it's a game with the companies is all.

I took 20mg lexapro for almost 6 years. It worked fine for depression and seemed pretty good for anxiety, at least in the beginning. In the past several months I decided I would asked my doctor about changing drugs at my annual physical since it got to the point as if it wasn't working at all for anxiety. Before I got around to mentioning it, my doctor said he thought I displayed a lot of anxiety and I should try Pristiq, 50mg/day. It seems to work a lot better. My anxiety levels are well reduced. I respond to these types of drugs in just a few days rather than the several weeks some people must wait. I seem to have more energy and the afternoon naps have pretty much stopped. I have only used it for a few weeks (using sample packs) but I will ask my doctor for a permanent change when I go to my follow-up visit. My wife says the cost of the drug in our situation is about the same.

windomsparks

Edited by windom

I took lexapro for 9 months & waited to feel any improvement on my depression and anxiety, in my personal experience it did not help any of my simptoms. My Pdoc switch me to Pristiq 50mg & I felt a relief on both depression and anxiety. At first I was having some headaches and was a little irritable but both of these side effects went away.

Just want to say thank you for all if the feedback to the original post.  Each thought was helpful to me.  I too have tried different ADs and also have anxiety with panic.  

I recently had a gene test for compatible medicine with my enzymes etc.  Many of the recommended med were ones I have tried... But I have to admit I think my anxiety prevented me from ever getting to a therapeutic dose.  With that being said I am presently on 10my  Ecitalopram with clonazapram with not much for side effects and somewhat improved depression within a few weeks.  But I do not take a theraputic  dose of clonazapram in the day as was trying to wean off if it several no the ago and hit a bump so I stopped and stayed at .50 pm and .25 am.

My gene tests revealed that pristique was a good choice with zero inhibitors of my faulty enzyme pathways.  I am thinking of trying It as I have read more good then bad about it.  

I am hoping it helps my depression as well but the anxiety and panic better then the escitalopram so I can stop the clonaxapram one day.