Sign in to follow this  
heatherdn

This Is Very Strange!

First I want to appoligize for posting so often. I'm just very unsure of things.

I need to share something that is odd. I woke up today with some energy (unusual for me)...on my way to work I noticed that everything around me looked different...brighter and happier almost surreal. The only way I can explain this is from the time that I did mushrooms years ago....that is exactly what it feels like minus hallucinations.....YIKES! I'm not complaining as it is a good feeling, but it doesn't feel like me. However, I have been sooooo sick for sooooo long that I don't even know what the "healthy" me is like. After a couple of hours I'm now fairly tired and blah feeling....Is this something I should be concerned about? When you've been suffering from what the pdocs say as sever depression for months....how do you know what it's like to feel "normal". So confused :hearts:

Thanks,

Heather

First I want to appoligize for posting so often. I'm just very unsure of things.

I need to share something that is odd. I woke up today with some energy (unusual for me)...on my way to work I noticed that everything around me looked different...brighter and happier almost surreal. The only way I can explain this is from the time that I did mushrooms years ago....that is exactly what it feels like minus hallucinations.....YIKES! I'm not complaining as it is a good feeling, but it doesn't feel like me. However, I have been sooooo sick for sooooo long that I don't even know what the "healthy" me is like. After a couple of hours I'm now fairly tired and blah feeling....Is this something I should be concerned about? When you've been suffering from what the pdocs say as sever depression for months....how do you know what it's like to feel "normal". So confused :hearts:

Thanks,

Heather

I have dysthymia and I'm not even too sure what happiness is supposed to feel like. I know what its like to feel excited like when I get something new but normal happiness... no clue.

heatherdn:

I don't think there is anyone counting posts and jumping on those who post too much :)

And yes....it may well be the beginning of Getting Better. Even happiness isn't something you feel all the time, it comes in moments, like you described. You'll have more and more of these and of course you will also feel tired and blah and sad, but just a little of that brightness can keep you going till the next moment.

I really hope for your sake that this is Getting Better!

Thanks,

Heather

How long have you been on effexor? I can relate to the spacey feeling, it lasted for the first week or so after I first started. I just found it with the initial dose, subsequent increases just involved other side effects but not so weird feeling. I believe I read on side effect thingy that came with the prescription that rare effects involve the sensory perception. My experience was the everything was suddenly brighter, in light and and in colour. As for feeling normal, it took me a while, but I think I noticed for sure one day when I looked back and found how alien my past thinking/self was for the past two years. I just felt a familiarity with myself again. It was kinda like seeing a friend you hadn't seen in a couple years... and you're happy to see them again..

How long have you been on effexor? I can relate to the spacey feeling, it lasted for the first week or so after I first started. I just found it with the initial dose, subsequent increases just involved other side effects but not so weird feeling. I believe I read on side effect thingy that came with the prescription that rare effects involve the sensory perception. My experience was the everything was suddenly brighter, in light and and in colour. As for feeling normal, it took me a while, but I think I noticed for sure one day when I looked back and found how alien my past thinking/self was for the past two years. I just felt a familiarity with myself again. It was kinda like seeing a friend you hadn't seen in a couple years... and you're happy to see them again..

Thank you for your replies!

I have been on 75mg 2 weeks now. I call my doctor tomorrow with an update. I really don't have many complaints with this medication and side effects other than insomnia which I take ativan for and the weird shroom feeling that I had a for a couple of days. To be honest, this medication is actually tolerable so far! Agimbel, if you don't mind me asking....how long did it take you to feel better and what dose are you on? I know I am early into the med but I'm looking forward to the day that I'm not prying myself out of bed in the morning and maybe even looking forward to something. How long does that take? I'm very hopeful with this medication based on the first two weeks and the fact that I'm very tired of feeling like a nutcase and trying to find a med that works....

Thanks again!

Heather

not to be a downer... which is ironic because this is a depression forum... but euphoric feelings, noticing more vibrant colors, hightened more frequent arousal can be a sign of brain damage... hey, if it's not though, I'm trying your med next... energy, happiness... seems unreal

Efexor was remarkably fast for me, it took just two weeks to begin working. The first sign was that everything WAS brighter, the colours and sounds were more vivid. I didn't see that as a side effect, I saw and felt that as getting better. It didn't all happen at once, but the brightness was the start of the my recovery and road to remission. And the remission lasted several years.

So I can't really see it as anything but positive, but I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.

not to be a downer... which is ironic because this is a depression forum... but euphoric feelings, noticing more vibrant colors, hightened more frequent arousal can be a sign of brain damage... hey, if it's not though, I'm trying your med next... energy, happiness... seems unreal

This can be a sign of brain damage? I don't know how I'd have damaged my brian....but I guess it's possible :hearts:

can be a sign of brain damage...

I think this is unduly alarmist. Sounds like too many acid trips, to me...

Nice use of vocabulary moonlightress :flowers: I had to grab my dictionary. And I must say that I agree. Never tried acid....my shroom experience scared the bajesus out of me. However, some of the side effects of previous ADs I have tried were much more frightening! On a happier note, I must say that colors are still bright and I dare I say it??? I think I had a good day today :hearts:. But I don't want to talk too much about it just yet....don't want to scare any good feelings away. I've noticed that my underarms perspire a little more than normal and I had a bit of a headache today, but nothing unbearable.

I spoke with my Pdoc yesterday and she said she wants to keep me at 75mg for another week or two because I'm showing a response already. We'll see how I'm doing then and determine if I need an increase.

Edited by heatherdn

Hi Heatherdn,

I too am glad to see that you are feeling better with the effexor. I have been on this for so many years I can't even remember. I know that for awhile I always wondered why everyone didn't take this as it worked so well for me. Of course I can't remember when I started this how I felt. But I sure can recognize these days when I forget to take it, heaven forbid! I can tell within 2 - 3 hours that I screwed up and didn't take it. Aside from that, I have no side affects from it at all. I have been on a dose level of 225 - 400, for various reasons. Right now I have nicely settled into 300 and I refuse to change it.

As to the happiness you and others have noticed, well that is pushing my effexor a little too far. But it isn't because of the Effexor. I noticed a long time ago that I couldn't begin to relate to the happiness that I saw in others. I'm quite sure that I will never be glad to get up in the morning. But this is all just me and there is much more to my story. I have decided that if I can have a level of contentment, that it would be good enough.

I've even decided that to be content might even be happiness, I don't know. But it is good enough for me.

One more remark on the brain damage, to me that is kind of a severe comment that I wouldn't want to leave anyone with. But then I have to remember that everyone in here is so for a reason. (But brain damage?) Everyone I know would be in an institution!

Continued best of luck to you,

Oh of course one more thing, NEVER EVER even think you post too much or too often, let alone apologize for it. Your input makes lots of us happy, so keep it up would you please?

AT

Hi Heatherdn,

I too am glad to see that you are feeling better with the effexor. I have been on this for so many years I can't even remember. I know that for awhile I always wondered why everyone didn't take this as it worked so well for me. Of course I can't remember when I started this how I felt. But I sure can recognize these days when I forget to take it, heaven forbid! I can tell within 2 - 3 hours that I screwed up and didn't take it. Aside from that, I have no side affects from it at all. I have been on a dose level of 225 - 400, for various reasons. Right now I have nicely settled into 300 and I refuse to change it.

As to the happiness you and others have noticed, well that is pushing my effexor a little too far. But it isn't because of the Effexor. I noticed a long time ago that I couldn't begin to relate to the happiness that I saw in others. I'm quite sure that I will never be glad to get up in the morning. But this is all just me and there is much more to my story. I have decided that if I can have a level of contentment, that it would be good enough.

I've even decided that to be content might even be happiness, I don't know. But it is good enough for me.

One more remark on the brain damage, to me that is kind of a severe comment that I wouldn't want to leave anyone with. But then I have to remember that everyone in here is so for a reason. (But brain damage?) Everyone I know would be in an institution!

Continued best of luck to you,

Oh of course one more thing, NEVER EVER even think you post too much or too often, let alone apologize for it. Your input makes lots of us happy, so keep it up would you please?

AT

LOL... I would never say something like this to hurt someone. It's really more my off-handed sense of humor. It's true, noticing more vibrant colors, euphoric happiness, heightened arousal are all signs of brain damage when something has caused damage to the regions of the brain related to pleasure. This occurs mostly with illness related brain damage. It wasn't my intent to scare anyone, I have GAD myself and I know how it can be when you get something stuck in your head. But I can't help but think it's funny... that's just how I am. Nontheless... I do know of instances when someones off-handed remark in a chat or e-mail or forum has led to the discovery of an illness in time to save someones life... so I certainly wouldn't take it back. I certainely hope that your meds are simply WORKING! I wish mine were. :P It's hard to read someones sadistic sense of humor when it's typed. :P

I need to share something that is odd. I woke up today with some energy (unusual for me)...on my way to work I noticed that everything around me looked different...brighter and happier almost surreal. The only way I can explain this is from the time that I did mushrooms years ago....that is exactly what it feels like minus hallucinations.....YIKES! I'm not complaining as it is a good feeling, but it doesn't feel like me.

Hi Heather :flowers:

I just popped over into this forum to see how you're doing with your adjustment to Effexor... Sounds like you may be off to a decent start!

I'm entertained by your description of surrounding strangeness! You're a trip! (Pun fully intended!) :hearts: For what it's worth, the sensation of noticing brighter and more colorful surroundings on Effexor is nothing to be alarmed by. I had this happen when I started both Celexa and Lexapro. I remember feeling like the sun was suddenly brighter (I found myself squinting more!) and the colors in my surroundings were more vivid. Chances are, if you take a look at your pupils, they may be dilated a tad more than usual, but there's no reason for concern. The sensation of hyper-brightness will normalize and will pass as you continue to adjust...

Keep on rockin', Heather!

Best to you -- always!

Hopey

Edited by HopefulOne

Hopey!!! :hearts:

I think I'm doing okay on the med so far :flowers: Thank you so much for your reply! I know I can always count on you. I've been wanting to PM you but trying to wait to share some good stuff. You are the best and always seem to understand want I'm talking about.

Thanks Hopey. Good to here from you and I'll keep you posted.

Edited by heatherdn

Thanks,

Heather

Wow! This sounds fantastic to me! I've been the same way. Today is day 9 on Pristiq for me. Were you taking it too? If so, how long did it take to feel this way? Thanks! kadee5