Sign in to follow this  
Janeumayer

Experiencing Breast Pain On 300mg A Day Of Wellbutrin Xl...

Hi everyone,

Im a female and this is my first post. Been suffering from depression since I was in my early teens. Now I'm in my thirties. Have been on many medications and was using Zoloft but started getting migraines (after months of using it without any side effects). Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin XL. Started using 300 mg and was doing ok but not great, so my dr. increased it to 450mg and added Celexa.

Right away I started having dry mouth, dizziness and nausea so I stopped taking the Celexa and continued on Wellbutrin XL but decreased it to 300 mg. I went to my regular dr. and was diagnosed with low potassium and he thought that was the reason for my dizziness, nausea and dry mouth.

But now I developed an extreme left breast pain. It started on the side of my torso and now it is all over. It comes and goes but lately it is there all the time. Went to the dr. again and she did a breast exam and did not find a lump. She did prescribe a mammogram and sonogram, just in case, which I have to schedule.

Was wondering if anyone has had this kind of side effect?

Thanking you in advance.

Welcome to DF, jane,

Most, if not all, pmeds cause dry mouth. There is a thread in Posting, Asking and Sharing regarding how to combat dry mouth. Dizzyness and nausea are start-up side-effects that usually goes away as you adjust to the med. Both are treatable, especially if they continue. My mom had low potassium and was dizzy all the time until she started taking the suppliment.

Usually, there is a step-up program with Wellbutrin, starting around 150mg/day but it depends on the pdoc (see others' posts in here.) I hope you consulted with your pdoc regarding stopping Celexa and reducing the dose of Wellbutrin. It's not wise to adjust meds on your own.

I've not heard of body pain in relationship to WB or Celexa. But what do I know as a non-professional? Could you have pulled a muscle or two? It's good that you went to the doctor regarding the pain. Let's hope it's nothing serious.

Sheepwoman

Welcome to DF, jane,

Most, if not all, pmeds cause dry mouth. There is a thread in Posting, Asking and Sharing regarding how to combat dry mouth. Dizzyness and nausea are start-up side-effects that usually goes away as you adjust to the med. Both are treatable, especially if they continue. My mom had low potassium and was dizzy all the time until she started taking the suppliment.

Usually, there is a step-up program with Wellbutrin, starting around 150mg/day but it depends on the pdoc (see others' posts in here.) I hope you consulted with your pdoc regarding stopping Celexa and reducing the dose of Wellbutrin. It's not wise to adjust meds on your own.

I've not heard of body pain in relationship to WB or Celexa. But what do I know as a non-professional? Could you have pulled a muscle or two? It's good that you went to the doctor regarding the pain. Let's hope it's nothing serious.

Sheepwoman

Thank you for your reply. I do not think I pulled a muscle but am going to get checked. Hopefully its nothing.

Wish you all the best.

Hi everyone,

Im a female and this is my first post. Been suffering from depression since I was in my early teens. Now I'm in my thirties. Have been on many medications and was using Zoloft but started getting migraines (after months of using it without any side effects). Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin XL. Started using 300 mg and was doing ok but not great, so my dr. increased it to 450mg and added Celexa.

Right away I started having dry mouth, dizziness and nausea so I stopped taking the Celexa and continued on Wellbutrin XL but decreased it to 300 mg. I went to my regular dr. and was diagnosed with low potassium and he thought that was the reason for my dizziness, nausea and dry mouth.

But now I developed an extreme left breast pain. It started on the side of my torso and now it is all over. It comes and goes but lately it is there all the time. Went to the dr. again and she did a breast exam and did not find a lump. She did prescribe a mammogram and sonogram, just in case, which I have to schedule.

Was wondering if anyone has had this kind of side effect?

Thanking you in advance.

I know this is a late response - but I just found this post by Googling "Bupropion OR Wellbutrin AND potassium". The reason I typed these terms in a search engine is because I've been recently wondering if a symptom I've been having is possibly due to Bupropion causing a low potassium level. I really haven't had any really significant symptoms of a low potassium level (such as irregular heartbeat) - I haven't even had any unusual dizziness - but several months ago I started noticing my skin losing tone and becoming drier (I even asked about it here), and I'm just exploring whether this is due to a depletion in my body's potassium level. From what I've been able to tell, I think it's the type of "dryness" that comes from the cells not being hydrated enough - because my skin seems to be producing adequate oil (sebum). And it seems as though I've noticed that this dry, slack skin becomes worse whenever I eat a meal that is particulary high in sodium.

I also had a strange episode when I seemed to develop a sinus infection - simply because my body wasn't producing any mucous. It was like my mucous membranes just shut down completely. It proved to be temporary - but it was very odd.

But what really hits home is when you described the (left) breast pains you've been having. I'm pretty much experiencing the same thing! These symptoms started many months ago - and for awhile, it just consisted of chronic "itchiness" of my breasts (around the nipple area). The itchiness was more pronounced on my left breast. Then, there was a relatively short period when I started having mild pains in my breasts - particularly the left breast. It really started to worry me - I was petrified that I was developing breast cancer (so petrified that I'm even scared to go to the doctor to get this checked out). But these pains went away before long, and my breast-cancer scare receded to the back of my mind. Meanwhile, the strange itchiness of my nipple-area persisted somewhat (although it wasn't as bad as it had been before). But just within the past week, the mild shooting pains returned for three or four days - then disappeared again. Again, the vast majority of this pain was in my left breast.

I've been wondering if Bupropion/Wellbutrin does something to the left side of the body. Because left breast pain/itchiness isn't the only thing on my left side that's been affected. When I started noticing my skin losing tone/elasticity/moisture - I first noticed it in the area around my left eye, as that seemed to be the only area affected. Even today, there are definite signs that the lost skin tone is worse on my left side than it is on my right side - my left eye area "droops" more than the area around my right eye, and the skin on my left knee is more "slack" than it is on my right knee.

But other than the lost skin tone and the breast pains - I don't have any other body pains/symptoms. At least not at this time - who knows if/how the symptoms will progress.

I really don't have any helpful advice to give - I just wanted to share that I'm going through something very similar. I've been dealing with things by adding a strong antioxidant (grape seed extract) to my supplement regimen, and by trying to make my body more alkaline. These things supposedly prevent and/or contain cancer (Although I know if you already have it, these things may not work. I'm just too chicken to go to a doctor right now). I'm also looking into using a progesterone cream - since a too-high estrogen/progesterone ratio can promote breast cancer, and I have definite signs of "estrogen dominance".

I'm also going to try to get more potassium in my diet (and maybe also try to reduce my sodium level - although I love my Mexican foods!).

Have you scheduled the mammogram/sonogram yet (if you don't mind my asking)?

P.S. I've been taking Bupropion for slightly over a year now - I'm supposed to be taking 300mg/day, but several months ago I reduced my daily dose to 200mg/day. Sorry so long-winded!

Hello everyone

i know this is old post but i have been having same left breast pain since i started taking synthroid 50mcg and wellbutrin xl 150mg .pain started like 3 weeks after taking medications.espeically when i get close to period the pain and heaviness of my left breast increases..i was blaming this on synthroid since it can effect hormones but just ou of curiousity i googled wellbutrin and found out many woman have breast pain from wellbutrin..hmmm.i stopped synthroid a month ago so waiting to see if pain goes away...i also got scared it was breast cancer and went for ultrasound and my results came negative just i have alot of fatty tissue now...i been taking wellbutrin for 2 month now..my breast pain goes away after period ends but a week before my period pain comes back soooo annoying..im thinking to stop wellbutrin and see what happens..now i have a suspesion my pain is from wellbutrin.

p.s i do get very mild pain in my right breast when period comes but very small compared to left :(

i started taking 2 table spoons of organic apple cedar vinager and primerose oil once daily and hoping this help with my breast pain 

On 11/6/2018 at 3:25 PM, Amina farid said:

Hello everyone

i know this is old post but i have been having same left breast pain since i started taking synthroid 50mcg and wellbutrin xl 150mg .pain started like 3 weeks after taking medications.espeically when i get close to period the pain and heaviness of my left breast increases..i was blaming this on synthroid since it can effect hormones but just ou of curiousity i googled wellbutrin and found out many woman have breast pain from wellbutrin..hmmm.i stopped synthroid a month ago so waiting to see if pain goes away...i also got scared it was breast cancer and went for ultrasound and my results came negative just i have alot of fatty tissue now...i been taking wellbutrin for 2 month now..my breast pain goes away after period ends but a week before my period pain comes back soooo annoying..im thinking to stop wellbutrin and see what happens..now i have a suspesion my pain is from wellbutrin.

p.s i do get very mild pain in my right breast when period comes but very small compared to left 😞

i started taking 2 table spoons of organic apple cedar vinager and primerose oil once daily and hoping this help with my breast pain 

I'm new to this site but, I'm having the same issue with my left breast. I started taking wellbutrin once a day and had no problem besides just a little insomnia. That went away after a couple weeks. They increased my dose to 300 milligrams a day and ever since then I have that pain in my left breast. Not really any pain in my right just the left side. I'm going to make an appointment to make sure it's not something else. I also am stopping my medication to see if it is the Welbutrin. I will come back and post an update. 

Hi I am new to this site. I am also having the same issue with both breast. Not just tender, but seems to get bigger :-| . I really don't want big breast. I am currenty on Wellbutrin xl 150.

Thinking if I maybe switch to the generic it might not have the same side effects, not sure. If not, I will have to go off.

Does anyone have this side effect, and what can one epect. 1,2,3 sizes bigger or does it stop after some time.

Thank you

Oh no! Not another side effect to watch for. I am having mood swings, vivid and weird dreams, tingling in arms and hands, headaches since I went from 150 mg to 300 mg.

Same here, on the left breast, outer side of it.  I haven’t written down dates yet but I think it happens the week before my period. Very sharp stabbing pain happening randomly and lasts for a few minutes.  Currently have a sonogram and mammogram scheduled to be safe. 

I agree Wellbutrin affects the left side of body in general, too. Had a really bad leg cramp for days one time when I had the dose too high. Stopped taking it and it went away after a few days,  when nothing else I did helped. 

I never take name brand Wellbutrin, only generic Bupropion. Currently on 150xl once daily. Hope we figure this out and get some relief.