Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

Donate Now   11/12/2017

Depression Forums has no real advertising help and no corporate sponsors. We depend on the support from our readers and especially our members. Your Donations would help DF to continue to stay on the internet and is greatly appreciated. Give the gift that keeps on giving. Donate Now  
DepressedGuy

How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?

How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?   137 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?

• 1 Week
    • 2 Weeks
    • 3 Weeks
    • 4 Weeks
    • 5 Weeks
    • 6 Weeks or More

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

109 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Woke up feeling not spacey today.... Just didnt get enough sleep... i believe 3 hours... 4th day.on zoloft.. I believe this medicine is getting me hyper so i take it in the mornings not at night.... Any Advice... Also been prescribed Xanax.. But doc said 3 times needed... i only take it when im restless anxious...Do yall think i should take 1 at night to get some sleep.... Any Advice!

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I would most definitely take the Xanax at night to try and get some sleep. Insomnia is not unusual in the early start-up phase of this medication. I remember taking it as early as I could, trying to exercise more, drinking more fluids and not napping all helped during this time.

Posted · Report post  

I am on my third week of Zoloft 1st week 50mg 2nd week 100 mg 3rd week 150mg. had two panic attacks and never had them before in my life. morning anxiety. some crying fits for no reason. have a benzo i take every day for the start-up effects of Zoloft and i also use Sleep Rescue by Bach from any health food store. Once you reach your therapeutic level it seems from what I have read it takes a few more weeks to even out. Hope this helps.

Posted · Report post  

I'm on day 12 of 25mg Zoloft and finally today I feel calm. Man that start up anxiety is something else but I know and expected this. I am having a little bit of insomnia but I hope to keep on trucking as I know this is a good med. :) I have had NO other side effects at all. Oh there is one good side effect, ,my libido is huge right now. :-O

Posted (edited) · Report post  

All you guys and girls in America are so....Lucky! Over here in the UK you might get a prescription of diazepam for a couple of weeks but that's it, Xanax? forget it, not over here. Doctors over here are very reluctant to prescribe benzo's especially long term. I was in hospital last year and I was on lorazapam 1mg 4 times a day, the second time I was in hospital I was on diazepam 5mg 4 times a day, but on each discharge I was weaned off benzo's and my symptoms returned. Benzo's just work and they work very well. Yes I know they're addictive, but I've never been on a med that worked as well as benzo's do. It seems in America doctors are more than happy to prescribe benzo's you're all really lucky. Anyway there's my off topic rant lol.

I've been on sertralinie 50mg for 10 days now, overall I feel able to cope with things a little better, I have good days, bad days and even just a burst of feeling good for 10 minutes or so. I'm still severely lacking motivation. I increase to 100 mg in 4 days so I'm hoping that helps with motivation.

Edited by whereToturn

Posted · Report post  

All you guys and girls in America are so....Lucky! Over here in the UK you might get a prescription of diazepam for a couple of weeks but that's it, Xanax? forget it, not over here. Doctors over here are very reluctant to prescribe benzo's especially long term. I was in hospital last year and I was on lorazapam 1mg 4 times a day, the second time I was in hospital I was on diazepam 5mg 4 times a day, but on each discharge I was weaned off benzo's and my symptoms returned. Benzo's just work and they work very well. Yes I know they're addictive, but I've never been on a med that worked as well as benzo's do. It seems in America doctors are more than happy to prescribe benzo's you're all really lucky. Anyway there's my off topic rant lol.

I've been on sertralinie 50mg for 10 days now, overall I feel able to cope with things a little better, I have good days, bad days and even just a burst of feeling good for 10 minutes or so. I'm still severely lacking motivation. I increase to 100 mg in 4 days so I'm hoping that helps with motivation.

I'm in Canada & I just got a 3 months refill of Ativan. :) You're right, they do work wonderfully!

Posted · Report post  

Hi I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping I can get some help. I just restarted Zoloft after trying a couple weeks ago and stopped after a week cause of a bad tummy. Well I tried Celexa within a couple days at a low dose I became very depressed and still having anxiety while feeling very apathetic. So I stopped that and I'm trying Zoloft again as my sister said I didn't give it enough time. Well the first couple days I was only taking 12.5. I feel kinda agitated with it so I take Valium. Like 1 mg once and a while. Last night I upped to 25. I felt kinda loopy after taking it then I think it calmed down. Had a hard time shutting my mind off so I took a little Valium. Not enough to last because I woke up with my usual racing thoughts wayyyyy worse , playing a stupid song in my head which has become a habit because I'm trying to block out the neg worrying thoughts. Now I'm not sure which is worse? So I took another piece of the Valium. I know I have to wait a couple weeks to see if these are going to work. I did just recently come off 75mg of Effexor , not even a month ago. Which seemed to work for 9 years. Then 20 mg of Prozac before that. Which helped for 4-5 years. I went up on the Prozac to 40, which I think was too stimulating for me. But she didn't give me anything to get over the hump so I chalked it up to it wasn't working and my anxiety was getting worse. She put me on Effexor. Well I started getting withdrawals even before coming off Effexor. Which I didn't realize that's what was happening. Then I freaked out caused had this thought pop into my head " you should just **** yourself". Which freaked the heck out of me and I sprialed down from there. Didn't want to go up on the Effexor cause I was scared. So now I'm totally obsessed with all my thoughts and googling. How I'm feeling. I need to force myself to get up and do things cause when I'm not reading on my phone I get anxiety and look for all the bad thoughts. oh ya and a friend freaked me out when she said maybe I'm bipolar. Well I'm guessing the Prozac and Effexor would have thrown me off of that were the case. I'm 34. Never been manic. Just bad anxiety. How long do I wait to see if maybe Zoloft isn't right for me ? Or too stimulating for my racing thoughts. I never experienced racing thoughts while on Effexor or just didn't pay attention lol. Not sure. I really want to get back to feeling somewhat normal and not being obsessed with how I feel. I just hate waiting through all these side effects. Maybe I should have waited out the Celexa but it was making me feel depressed. I also heard Zoloft can be activating on dopamine and from what I read too much dop may be causing my racing thoughts. Actually I'm not even sure if they are racing more obsessive on how I feel. I'm so confused. One thing I know is I can't keep changing meds without giving it a chance. But how long???

Posted · Report post  

Hi Shelbytrevor,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with anxiety but I can reassure you that your obsessive thoughts and increased anxiety are completely normal (if you can ever call it that!) when starting Zoloft. To answer your question of how long... Typically Zoloft's start-up side effects last up to two weeks. If you change your dose during those two weeks, start the count over again. You may get a return of the side effects when you change your doses in the future, but it's not necessarily the case. Everyone is different.

As for the long-term "when will I get better" topic... I have had people tell me they have felt better on 25mg but don't despair if you don't feel the full effect of Zoloft while on this starter dose. 50mg is usually considered the lowest therapeutic dose, meaning that most people find they feel a whole lot better on 50mg. My advice would be to give Zoloft two weeks for the side effects to subside. After that you can more easily determine how much better you feel. If you don't really feel much better I would think your doctor would push you up to 50mg and that might be enough. Once you start feeling better, it can take 4-6 weeks to feel all the way back to normal. Once I got on my therapeutic dose (I had severe depression so the magic number for me was 150mg) I started feeling better pretty much right away, but it took 6 full weeks (on that dose) for me to feel "normal" again.

Unfortunately, Zoloft isn't a quick fix, but once you get on the right dosage (which could be 50mg or perhaps even higher) you won't experience any of the anxiety or bad thoughts you're having now. I had your exact symptoms when I started Zoloft and I can tell you that it worked for me! I no longer think about anything bad, and I no longer have anxiety (except when it's that time of the month, and even then it's barely anything to complain about).

Take care,

Deb

Posted · Report post  

As for me, I have been on Sertraline for a month. Started at 100mg (I know...Dr jumped me right in...ugh), then after 4 days went to 200mg. I have now been on 200mg for 23 days. I am taking this (along with 75mg Effexor XR)  for GAD, Depression, OCD & intrusive thoughts. Right now I don't feel good at all....

I have:

Fog brain / memory lapse

tinnitus

feel like I'm behind a "glass wall"

slight numbing/cold hands & feet

slightly (very slight) blurred vision

I will say that I am calmer, but I certainly don't feel normal. Some of my OCD / intrusive thoughts have eased, but are not completely gone (which I never expected). Just hoping the fog brain & glass wall go away. Anyone else experience these types of issues?

Thx