Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
DepressedGuy

How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?

How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?   137 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?

• 1 Week
    • 2 Weeks
    • 3 Weeks
    • 4 Weeks
    • 5 Weeks
    • 6 Weeks or More

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

109 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

i was diagnosed with panic disorder and major depression disorder. ive been on zoloft for about 3 and a half weeks. in the mornings, i feel major anxiety and fatigue, jitery and just normally like crap. i fell like ive had good days, but then i have bad days. does anyone else feel these wierd feelings. ive had them before i was diagnosed. i usually feel better in the second part of the day. i have to go back to work monday and i hope i can make it. these symptoms have had me feeling like i cant work.

You might also be interested in:

Posted (edited) · Report post  

The first day I had mild side effects, such as the shakes.

But aside from that I felt like it was working right away.

I was so relieved. I've been on it for 3 months. And I find

the best time is to take it in the morning, when you're

going to work. That way you have the up during the day

and your low at night when you're going to bed.

I've noticed I also now sleep on my back (I was a sleep-on-

my-side kind of gal). Anyone else notice different behaviors?

I always dream a lot more and remember.

Edited by zen_rat

Posted · Report post  

I've been Zoloft for almost 4 weeks. I honestly have no felt any effects at all.

I am worried because many posts here mentions at least slight improvement after or within 1-2 weeks.

The only side effect I experience is yawning and dry throat.

Posted · Report post  

I've been Zoloft for almost 4 weeks. I honestly have no felt any effects at all.

I am worried because many posts here mentions at least slight improvement after or within 1-2 weeks.

The only side effect I experience is yawning and dry throat.

Pmeds work differently for everyone. I suggest you hang in there a little longer. If, at six weeks, you are still not feeling an improvement, talk to your doctor. You may need an increase or a med change.

Posted · Report post  

I started taking zoloft 10 days ago. There are tiny windows of hope but that's only my brain, I think. I usually am depressed around the day but I am all relaxed and wonderful after midnight. It's been like that even before I started taking Zoloft. I sometimes dwell on the idea that I am not actually depressed and that I need to suck it up! I really am lost. Thinking like that is so weakening. I hope I get throught this phase REALLY soon!!

KJS    0

Posted · Report post  

MoeZoloft,

Your situation sounds exactly the same as I'm going through. I feel good in the evenings and start to make all sorts of plans for the next day but then when I wake up in the morning facing a new day just seems more than I can cope with. I just can't understand how may mood can swing from one extreme to the other over the course of 24 hrs. I often can't even manage to drag myself out of bed until late afternoon. I can also relate to the feeling of I should just be able to get a grip and get back to work. I feel like I'm just hiding from things that maybe I just need to face up to. I feel like other people are able to get through far more stressful and difficult times than this so i should just quit complaining. But I suppose we have to face the fact that we are not well at the minute and we are doing our best under the circumstances. We need to keep fighting but accept that we have limited resources to fight with at the minute.

How are you finding the zoloft? I'm on day 6 and so far its a bit of an emotional rollercoaster but really not sure how much of that is just me and how much is the meds. Some days it's anxiety and panic attacks. The next it's just complete lack of motivation or enjoyment in anything. I'm just trying to hang in there and keep hold of the hope that things will get better.

Hope you feel better soon!

Posted · Report post  

I got a bad review on zoloft. I heard it helps at first but after a while it stops working? is that true? I just started my third week on Zoloft and I feel slightly better. I really don't wanna go through this again anytime soon? am I gonna be miserable again? The fact that I'm obsessing over this is making me feel bad. What do I do?

Posted · Report post  

It took a good 8 weeks to start working for me and even after 10 weeks it feels like things are still improving.

Posted · Report post  

It took a good 8 weeks to start working for me and even after 10 weeks it feels like things are still improving.

This is good news MintyFresh especially for those just starting and going through the start-up side effects.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Posted · Report post  

I have only been back on Zoloft for 5 days, so I am not able to give a definitive answer yet, but I have some questions that I'm hoping others could address. I do feel the tiniest bit different - I'm not crying as much and I'm not quite as much of a "zombie" as I'd been last week. But, I am experiencing some side effects that I don't remember going through when I was on Zoloft previously, and I'm wondering if others have gone through this and can tell me if it will pass.

Right now I'm on 50 mg a day, due to increase to 100 meg in 2 weeks. The first 2 days I took it in the evening, since the day I got the script it was at night, but those first 2 nights I woke up with the worst anxiety attacks I've had in years, and basically got no sleep. I moved it to the morning now, and while I have done a little better, I do inevitably wake up in the night anyway, and then the anxiety starts in. Has anyone else experienced this and does it go away?

Then, for the first 5-6 hours after taking it, I don't feel very well. I feel very "disjointed". Kind of like I'm not fully in control of myself, my actions, and such - a bit "out of body". I feel a little shaky, trembly inside. It's very weird and hard for me to explain. I also don't have much for an appetite, but that's OK. I am eating some, and I definitely could stand to lose more than a few pounds.

Should I keep plugging along hoping for this to pass, or should I call my doctor and tell them? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Posted · Report post  

I have only been back on Zoloft for 5 days, so I am not able to give a definitive answer yet, but I have some questions that I'm hoping others could address. I do feel the tiniest bit different - I'm not crying as much and I'm not quite as much of a "zombie" as I'd been last week. But, I am experiencing some side effects that I don't remember going through when I was on Zoloft previously, and I'm wondering if others have gone through this and can tell me if it will pass.

Right now I'm on 50 mg a day, due to increase to 100 meg in 2 weeks. The first 2 days I took it in the evening, since the day I got the script it was at night, but those first 2 nights I woke up with the worst anxiety attacks I've had in years, and basically got no sleep. I moved it to the morning now, and while I have done a little better, I do inevitably wake up in the night anyway, and then the anxiety starts in. Has anyone else experienced this and does it go away?

Then, for the first 5-6 hours after taking it, I don't feel very well. I feel very "disjointed". Kind of like I'm not fully in control of myself, my actions, and such - a bit "out of body". I feel a little shaky, trembly inside. It's very weird and hard for me to explain. I also don't have much for an appetite, but that's OK. I am eating some, and I definitely could stand to lose more than a few pounds.

Should I keep plugging along hoping for this to pass, or should I call my doctor and tell them? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Hello and Welcome mom_of_1,

I experienced the insomnia at start-up, although additional anxiety occurred for me during the day. I did feel kind of shakey, but I attributed this to not eating as much as you are experiencing. I also think this could be a symptom of continued anxiety, like when you get "butterflies" in your stomach.

I would continue to take Zoloft, but if you don't feel ready to increase the dosage in two weeks, ask you MD if you can stay on 50mg. a little longer. Also, sleep is very important, so maybe your Dr. would consider putting you on something to help you relax. I believe that calling him and letting him know your symptoms wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Posted · Report post  

Hi i'm andrew how long were you off zoloft before you went back on and did it stop working the reason why you went off zoloft or you stopped on your own accord

Posted · Report post  

It took about a month for me to feel much of anything positive. It took 2 months plus for me to really get stable.

Even at about 3 months in I still get anxious at times. Depression is under control though. I'm on 50mg and the start up SE's were really rough. After that though, it's been pretty good. Sometimes I even forget I'm taking it, which I think is a good thing.

hi there....i too have been on this for about three months....i do have great days but at the moment i am a little nervy again......does this still happen to you? i still get hot flush attacks at the moment, and my brain starts to speed up thought but has only happened for a little bit tonight. I am hoping that i am still adjusting to this medication...i am alway tired tho as well. do you know if this is a permanent side effect of this ? cheers rach

Posted · Report post  

I've been using Zoloft for 6 weeks and feel great . But the nausea is strong sometimes. Wonder why... Can't mix w/ alcohol or some pain meds.

Posted · Report post  

Hi, this is the first day I take Zoloft (50mg). I feel extreme hunger, but what's worse I have also weakness and tremor in mybody when I'm that hungry. I felt much better after the lunch, but currently it's dinner time and I'm getting hungry and very shaky again. Is it okay for the first days and will disappear in the future? Or should I consult my doctor to reduce the med? I'm used to work out and don't really want to lose my constitution due to frequent eating.

Thanks for the advise.

Alex

Posted · Report post  

It's a fifth day I'm taking Zoloft 50mg. Today I feel some clearing up inside of me... like the dark is leaving, but I still have obsessive thought and rejection inside, at lease it's not that dark.. it feel easier today. Or maybe it's a coincidence.

Posted · Report post  

I only started taking Zoloft on Saturday but I can already feel a slight difference... I didn't think antidepressants could actually help me. I wish I would have reached out for help sooner. The side effects however are killer and I do not know if I could handle it if they don't subside within the next week or two. I feel nauseous, I feel drowsy as I walk around, no appetite, and worst off all my sex drive is super low and I have had to work extra hard to ejaculate. I didn't think it was possible to **** a teenage boy's raging hormones but it happened.

Posted · Report post  

Still waiting for some stable improvements. Went from 50mg to 150mg over the past 8 weeks. I've had a few days/moments where I start feeling "normal" again and then I hit bottom again. My doctor wants me to keep increasing until I reach 200mg. Hopefully that will make a difference. I just wish those glimpses of "normality" would come more often and last longer. I am really hoping that I can come back here soon enough and submit my vote... In the meantime, not enough significant improvement in my opinion...

Posted · Report post  

I'm on 50mg Sertraline for GAD but I've also had it in the past for depression. In my third week now, have side effects still but it seems to be working thus far.. fingers crossed..

Posted · Report post  

Hi newbie, how were your side effects with each increase? I just increased from 50mgs to 75mgs, gave the 75 mgs about 6 weeks, with good days and bad days and two big panic attacks. 5 days ago I was increased to 100mgs, and side effects have been bad. Very shaky, headaches, complete exhaustion, almost feel very forgetfulness and confused at times, spaced out! Is this normal? Today I went back to 75mgs. I'd rather stay on Xanax for the panic attacks then feel those side effects. Can any one relate? Give me some encouragement hear...feel so helpless.

Posted · Report post  

Market_hope,

Having taken Zoloft, I did experience increased side effects when I increased my dosage as well, and as it ended up, I stayed at 50 mg. the entire time I was on it, because I never was able to increase, although I was great on 50 mg. for about 10 years before I changed meds. altogehter. I think you have to give the increase a little more time, and I agree with staying on the Xanax to help through the panic attacks. I'm so sorry for the helplessness, and I do understand your frustration. Try to hang in there, and be sure to keep in touch with your MD if things don't look up soon.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Posted · Report post  

I started Zoloft 34 days ago and find that there seems to be something new to report is improving. I'm less tired, less obsessive, and I'm dreaming each night and can remember some of the details etc. Still having some issues with sleep, still don't feel fully motivated.

Posted (edited) · Report post  

It started 'working" after about a week for me. My doctor called every day and increased my dosage on most days. I didn't like how quickly he has prescribed it to me or how quick he was to increase my dosage. After about a week I felt terrible, almost completely unable to move, suicidal, and I had had a few minor visual hallucinations. I stopped taking the medication as well as stopped seeing the doctor after about two weeks. I haven't gone back on medication since then. Guess it just wasn't for me? Haha.

Edited by sleepy rabbit

Posted · Report post  

I am currently on 100 ml of sertraline. I have tried different ones. I feel no different and have n o side effects withany of them. What do you think is up with that? my md bumped i t to 100 when i said it wasn't doing anything. Do some people need higher doses? justwondering.

thanks

Posted · Report post  

There are some people who do need higher doses, and because our metabolisms, chemicals, bodies are all different, it can't hurt to ask about a higher dosage, since you are seeing no change.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise