Migraines And Depression

I don't know if this is the right sub forum but , For the past two months I have had constant terrible migraines every single day. It is making my depression worse because not only do I feel mentally low but now i'm trying to manage constant pain and i just feel like crying because i don't know what to do. Does anyone else have migraines and how do you manage?

Hi IandI,

I do not suffer from migraines, thankfully. But I wouldn't have to more than once or twice to be on the phone with someone! PLEASE get a hold of your doctor and tell him this right away. He may have an answer or at the least tell you what to do next. But seriously, you do need to call him. It isn't right that you should be suffering so bad.

Please get better quick & let me know how things are going for you.

Best of luck to you,

Always Trying

In the past i've suffered with severe headache/migraine. I was getting it daily, it would come on the morning, and only ibuprofen seemed to get rid of the pain. I went to accident and emergency at the hospital because the pain was that bad. It turned out i had an ear infection and a scar on my ear drum. They gave me antibiotics which seemed to do the trick. The only thing was when i went to see my doctor he seemed to think that i suffer with cluster headaches and that an ear infection wouldn't cause so much pain.?! Anyway it might be an idea to have your ears checked.

I take sumatriptan for migraine attacks, just when the aura begins. I don't get them so often anymore, so this works fine for me.

If you are getting them as frequently as you say, try asking the doc for Topamax as a preventative - apparently a lot of people get relief from that. Didn't work for me (made my depression worse), but that doesn't mean it it won't work for you.

There is also Sibelium, but I think it has a likelihood of worsening depression.

Going for a beta-blocker, might work too. Apparently atenolol is the best to for if you also have depression, as it's least likely to worse depression.

Run these past your doc. You should really not have to suffer like this, there ARE options.

I was diagnosed with chronic tension type headaches. I used to have to take Vicodin all the time, but after I started my Prozac treatment again, they have gotten much better. Please take everyones advice, and go see your doc, as there are many treatment options available. Make sure you mention any medication you are on, as some meds for depression can interact with some migrane medication.

• 1 year later...

I've had migraines since childhood. I've been told that they were caused by eating the wrong food, that I have jaw misalignment, it could be my posture, I shouldn't eat certain things, my pets could be causing them, I am stressed, or it is the depression and my fibromyalgia. The list goes on. What I am getting at is migraines can be caused by many things, or nothing at all...they could be inherited. All I know is that when I get them it does make me more depressed because I am in pain and reactive to everything. There are meds you can take daily to decrease the likelyhood of getting them (like Topamax) or there are ones to take once you get, or know you are getting one. My Rheumatologist prescribed Aexrt for me with much sucess to head off a migraine when I feel one coming on. Using over the counter meds can cause rebound headaches that are migraine like or are a migraine so it is best not to use them for severe headaches. What is most important is talking to your doctor about the degree, length, details about your headaches so he/she can prescribe a method of treatment. If a doctor tells you there is nothing they can do...find another doctor...at the very least the migraines can be decreased. Remember that pain will make your depression worse...try some coping techniques and give yourself permission to feel bad while you are hurting. Once the pain is past or lessoned you will be able to cope better. Good luck!