Suicidal Thoughts

Hertz

Hi,

I've been having suicidal thoughts on a daily basis since the last few months. I do not intend on ******* myself, but these thoughts are causing me a lot of pain. I have depression and am treated for it. I would like to know from people who went through and overcame this : How long did you have these thoughts? Did they just disappear one day or was it gradual?

Thank you.

Hi Hertz and welcome,

Yes, I've had thoughts and feelings of suicide. On and off for many years. May I ask what you do when you think this way?

For me it steamed from having it rough as a kid. Tense home life, walking on egg shells a lot of the time, being scared more times than not. Probably had my first suicidal thought around 13/14 maybe. (Alcoholic mother) As I grew up and out of this it chased me to adulthood. I wasn't scared of the same things, but the fear and the pain doesn't go away until you do something about it. But I didn't know this and suicidal feelings and thoughts often were around and served me as if "Oh well if all else fails I can always leave this place for good". The thoughts lingered in the back of my mind. I have overcome a lot since I was a kid. These days the suicidal thoughts only occur around my menstrual cycle, as silly as that may sound. So these days it's hormonal and not an environmental reaction.

I wouldn't say I've overcome suicidal thoughts per se, I still have them at times, but I tend not to dwell on them for as long as I used (days sometimes). I think part of it has been CBT and definitely my ADs have helped plenty, as I don't seem to hit the low lows any more. I think it helps that my thinking is a little clearer as I'm not constantly depressed.

Hi,

I've been having suicidal thoughts on a daily basis since the last few months. I do not intend on ******* myself, but these thoughts are causing me a lot of pain. I have depression and am treated for it. I would like to know from people who went through and overcame this : How long did you have these thoughts? Did they just disappear one day or was it gradual?

Thank you.

It sounds like maybe you should see your doctor again. How long has it been since you last saw your doc?

I have been dealing with suicidal thoughts for over 3 years. With the help of therapy and antidrepessants I don't think about it as often. It's taken alot of tweeking and changing to get my meds to where it feels like they are helping. For me its been more gradual.

Many of us think 'not another day of this', depression and anxiety can cause tiredness, despair ....... maybe your medication needs a hike? Speaking with your prescribing doctor is important. No one should have daily thoughts of ******* themselves but the brain can get into a downward spiral when there's no room for other thoughts.

When my brain is 'low' I get up feeling 'not again' ....... I go about routine chores until breakfast and meds kick in, then I take the day steadily - by evening I have improved. Do you have a best time of day? Low blood sugar can cause the brain to continue 'low'.

It sounds like maybe you should see your doctor again. How long has it been since you last saw your doc?

With the AD i'm taking right now and CBT I've seen significant improvements in regard to my ability to concentrate and be active. But my mood doesn't get better.

Yes, I've had thoughts and feelings of suicide. On and off for many years. May I ask what you do when you think this way?

I pray, I force myself to do something, like reading, calling a friend, doing chores. But that only helps temporarily.

I have a very low tolerance for ADs, probably due to anxiety. Most ADs I've taken either didn't do anything or worsened my condition after a while. Right now I'm taking remeron 7.5 mg and effexor 18 mg. I know these doses may seem very low, even "homeopathic" as my doctor said, but otherwise my ability to function drops and I sometimes even encounter physical pain. I also take clonazepam 1mg.

Finding a maitenance dose that suits is difficult and can be a roller coaster of side-effects. it is worth while pursuing though. I would ask about an increase in the Effexor to see if the dark thoughts become less. Let us know how you get on!