210 members have voted

1. 1. What does of Lexapro are you on?

• less than 5mg
    • 5mg
    • 10mg
    • 15mg
    • 20mg
    • More than 20mg

I have a question. Yesterday my psychatrist said "20 mg of Lexapro is the standard dose". Well, from looking at this poll, it seems that as many people do well on 10 mg as 20 mg. And indeed, I had thought that 10 mg was the "standard". Does anyone know what their doctor considers the "standard"? I ask because my psychiatrist seems very med-happy sometimes, eager to prescribe lots of different meds and at high dosages, so I'm trying to see if she might be erring on the side of "more is better."

I have a question. Yesterday my psychatrist said "20 mg of Lexapro is the standard dose". Well, from looking at this poll, it seems that as many people do well on 10 mg as 20 mg. And indeed, I had thought that 10 mg was the "standard". Does anyone know what their doctor considers the "standard"? I ask because my psychiatrist seems very med-happy sometimes, eager to prescribe lots of different meds and at high dosages, so I'm trying to see if she might be erring on the side of "more is better."

My dr. considers 20mg as standard. In fact he started me on 10mg and then increased to 20 in a couple weeks.

My dr. considers 20mg as standard. In fact he started me on 10mg and then increased to 20 in a couple weeks.

When I was on Lexapro, my doctor also started me out with 10mg, then upped it to 20mg. At one time, because of my condition, I was taking 40mg. But he eventually he took it back down to 20mg to keep me stable.

Lindahurt

Ten. I was on it before, up to 40mg at one time, then off it for a few months. Back on because anxiety blows and it has been getting in the way of my life.

It gave me panic attacks for the first 3 or 4 nights, but I take it during the day now and it seems to be okay. So far...

10mg, which seems pretty standard. Been on it for a few months now, I'm not sure how well it's doing to be honest. I feel... okay, but sometimes I just have a total breakdown. Maybe it's not for me?

I just started 30 mg a month ago, up from 10 a few years ago, then 20 after I had a baby. 30 mg gave me insomnia for a few nights and headaches for about three days, but they went away within the first week. If things don't improve in the next six weeks, my pdoc is thinking of moving me up to 40, so I am glad to see that I won't be the only one in the world at 40 mg!!

By the way, my pdoc told me most GPs won't prescribe above 20, but psychiatrists will. Not sure that makes me feel better about it....

I am tapering off Wellbutrin and will start Lexapro 10mg next week. I hope it helps with my insomnia and anxiety.

It's so funny to read how everyone reacts so differently...someone might get insomnia and someone else might have a hard time doing anything and feeling so tired! Some people it helps with anxiety and some makes it worse!

:mad1:

I hope this one works for me!!!!!

:unsure:

I am moving up to 20mg today. Was on 10mg for a little over a month and like it, but would like it to be a bit more effective. Hopefully, it is!!!

Lexapro has been GREAT for my irritability and general anxiety (but it doesn't help anxiety attacks in my case). It's pretty good for my depression, but hopefully the 20 mg will make it even better!

:taz:

Started 5mg for 10 days. Then increased to 10mg. Mind you I'm also on 30mg of Prozac. Great combo thus far. Wellbutrin gave me too much anxiety. Had to give that up. Don't miss it one bit.

I currently switched to 15mg on Lexapro. 20mg seemed a little too much and 10mg was not much. Seems 15mg works from me ATM.

I started at 5 mg the first day, then moved to 10 mg the second and third day, then finally to 20 mg every day after. I'm feeling much better with my med combo since being released from the psych ward.

Today is day 4 for my 5mg script (which i take in (2) 2.5mg doses every 12 hours.) Last night was the first night I've had trouble sleeping ..... very vivid dreams, too. Today my head is fuzzy with a slight headache. I'm also feeling a bit more anxiety than before. I *think* these are all common side effects and will wear off if i give it time.

I was on 40 mg of Paxil and it wasn't working for me as well as I would've liked so my pdoc told me to switch to 20 mg of escitalopram. I was a little concerned about not weening off of the Paxil and building to the escitalopram but it worked relatively quickly.

Just started 20mg. I;m wondering if I should just break them in half and give myself 10

Edit: My bad. I am on Celexa. Newbie mistake sorry.

Edited by herder