Citalopram - Weird Head Sensations?

Hello everyone,

I am just curious to hear of any strange head sensations you might be experiencing while using Citalopram. I have a weird head pressure at times. Sometimes it seems almost like sinusitis which I've read could be a side effect, other times it feels like a soreness on my scalp. It's hard to explain but my head feels 'heavy' and pressurized at times. It comes and goes. Has anyone else experienced sensations like this?

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I am just curious to hear of any strange head sensations you might be experiencing while using Citalopram. I have a weird head pressure at times. Sometimes it seems almost like sinusitis which I've read could be a side effect, other times it feels like a soreness on my scalp. It's hard to explain but my head feels 'heavy' and pressurized at times. It comes and goes. Has anyone else experienced sensations like this?

Thank you.

:hearts: rover

Sorry to hear that you are feeling these side effects. I agree with HopefulOne, could you give us some more information?

Is it like an itch on your scalp at all or is it more like a headache?

Girly

that sounds abit weird, but im sure headaches and stuff are a usual side effect.

how long have u been taking citalopram? cant say iv had that particular side effect. maybe mention it to ur doc when u see him nxt?

that sounds abit weird, but im sure headaches and stuff are a usual side effect.

how long have u been taking citalopram? cant say iv had that particular side effect. maybe mention it to ur doc when u see him nxt?

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies! :hearts:

I started taking it about mid-march so I guess about 2.5 months now. It's my first time on any such medication. I was having extreme anxiety and kept self diagnosing myself with all sorts of horrible ailments so my doctor thought this was a good route for me to take. I resisted at first but eventually couldn't handle the anxiety anymore. I do feel MUCH better now as far as that is concerned - phew! I feel like my old self again.

The 'pressure' feels kind of like a sinus cold, sort of behind the eyes and near the ears and also around the nose area under my eyes. I did find some sites that listed sinusitis as a side effect so think that could be what I have but I also get a dull ache/pressure in the lower part of the back of my head (above my neck) and even up near the top. It sort of feels like when you've had a ponytail in too long ;)... kind of a tight feeling but if I push on it, it is sensitive/sore. I haven't had a lot of headaches - some, but nothing too major. I find I get more near my monthly cycle which was common before the Citalopram anyway so am not concerned about that at all. It's just the weird pressure sensations that have me stumped.

Thanks very much for your concern and support. I really appreciate it!

Hi rover --

Hmmm... so it's not a build-up related side effect, per se. Some people do note "sinusey" type headaches with Celexa and Lexapro from time to time. Oddly enough. Any chance the pressure you feel could also be allergy-related? Sometimes it's hard to discern between the two. Neck, head, jaw and shoulder tension are standard complaints as well. For many, these side effects lessen and disappear with time. For some, a dosage adjustment might be all that's needed to help alleviate them.

The pressure you have in the back of your head, (the occipital lobe at the top of your neck) sounds like a tension headache. Tension headaches feel like a tightness (not necessarily pain) that runs from ear to ear, like a band across the back of your head. I had those when I started Lexapro. Those generally come as a result of carrying stress and tension in your shoulders. And sometimes the jaw. Try to relax your jaw and shoulders -- regular stretching or yoga might help. Some say that staying hydrated helps them too.

Keep an eye on these things and if they continue to be problematic for you, mention it to your doc/pdoc. You may just need a little tweak in your dosing... :hearts: Other than that, I hope Celexa has been good for you. I found it to be a beneficial AD myself.

Best,

HopefulOne

Hi rover --

Hmmm... so it's not a build-up related side effect, per se. Some people do note "sinusey" type headaches with Celexa and Lexapro from time to time. Oddly enough. Any chance the pressure you feel could also be allergy-related? Sometimes it's hard to discern between the two. Neck, head, jaw and shoulder tension are standard complaints as well. For many, these side effects lessen and disappear with time. For some, a dosage adjustment might be all that's needed to help alleviate them.

The pressure you have in the back of your head, (the occipital lobe at the top of your neck) sounds like a tension headache. Tension headaches feel like a tightness (not necessarily pain) that runs from ear to ear, like a band across the back of your head. I had those when I started Lexapro. Those generally come as a result of carrying stress and tension in your shoulders. And sometimes the jaw. Try to relax your jaw and shoulders -- regular stretching or yoga might help. Some say that staying hydrated helps them too.

Keep an eye on these things and if they continue to be problematic for you, mention it to your doc/pdoc. You may just need a little tweak in your dosing... :hearts: Other than that, I hope Celexa has been good for you. I found it to be a beneficial AD myself.

Best,

HopefulOne

HopefulOne,

Thank you SO much! What you say above really helps and completely makes sense. It does sound like what I have - exactly. Very smart! I do carry tension in in my shoulders. I work at a computer and am very aware that I tighten up there. I didn't make the connection though that they could be related... The 'band' you describe fits the pain/pressure exactly. Thank you very much! I am also a teeth clencher when I sleep so the jaw comment makes perfect sense too. I really appreciate your incredibly insightful feedback. Have a wonderful day.

Rover.

I just started yesterday and definitely have some weird head sensations. I assume they will go away with time. Hope the worsening of my insomnia does as well.

I had some strange feeling headaches and sensations in my head the first few weeks after starting Citalopram. These seem to have completely subsided for me, as well as nearly all of the other side effects as well. I think I'm around week six, or somewhere in that neighborhood anyway. So far, I'm having a hard time finding very much negative to say about the stuff. The initial build up was a bit rough, but not horrible, and now - I feel the best I've felt in years. The insomnia should ease up. Before Citalopram, I was consistently on Lunesta and Lorazepam to help me sleep. The Citalopram has improved my sleep to the point where I fall asleep quickly, sleep most or all night, and frequently do not need any additional sleep aids. I have also lost approximately 14 pounds since beginning the medication, but a lot of that is due to the fact that it has helped increase my motivation to the point where I can exercise again, and I do not eat for comfort. I recommend staying on the medication and giving it a chance to do it's thing! :hearts:

I just started yesterday and definitely have some weird head sensations. I assume they will go away with time. Hope the worsening of my insomnia does as well.

(((ricky))) the side effects will pass

I had some strange feeling headaches and sensations in my head the first few weeks after starting Citalopram. These seem to have completely subsided for me, as well as nearly all of the other side effects as well. I think I'm around week six, or somewhere in that neighborhood anyway. So far, I'm having a hard time finding very much negative to say about the stuff. The initial build up was a bit rough, but not horrible, and now - I feel the best I've felt in years. The insomnia should ease up. Before Citalopram, I was consistently on Lunesta and Lorazepam to help me sleep. The Citalopram has improved my sleep to the point where I fall asleep quickly, sleep most or all night, and frequently do not need any additional sleep aids. I have also lost approximately 14 pounds since beginning the medication, but a lot of that is due to the fact that it has helped increase my motivation to the point where I can exercise again, and I do not eat for comfort. I recommend staying on the medication and giving it a chance to do it's thing! :hearts:

:flowers:That is great news MCE

• 7 years later...

I was on Zoloft for about 10 years worked great then started having mild anxiety so doctor changed to Celexa 40 MG . I've been on celexa for about 2-3 months reduced to 20 mg since I started having mild pressure in head and sinus pressure like other comments. My ears also feel full sometimes and I can pop them by opening my mouth. It's like when you ride up the mountains...lol! I do have mild eye pressure and it feels like sinus pressure does. I sleep really good! I've never had a problem sleeping even before getting on any meds. I have talked to doctor and he suggest I try prozac 20mg. My brother takes 60 mg of prozac over past 15 years works great! But, I still don't feel like myself . If the sinus pressure feeling, mild head aches and occasionally mild dizziness would go away it would be perfect..

• 2 years later...