Sign in to follow this  
Infidel

Anyone Started Taking Pristiq Yet?

New member here. I'm curious about Pristiq and high blood pressure. I've tried virtually all ADs, and have settled into long-term (2 years) use of Wellbutrin, mainly because for me it doesn't have sexual side effects. However, I've been feeling its effectivenes is diminishing as the months go by. I want to discuss possibly switching from Wellbutrin with my doc, and Pristiq comes to mind. However, the ads caution about possible blood pressure issues. I do have high BP, although it's well controlled with medication. Does anyone have experience with Pristiq and high BP?

Edited by StevieRay

After a long period trying different ADs, I've gone back to Effexor. My Dr. prescribed the latest incarnation, Pristiq, supposed to be more effective but some say it's just a trick to extend the patent.

Along with the Pristiq, my Dr has prescribed a folate supplement that is supposed to make the AD more effective.

I'm starting the second week and feel ok, hoping for better results as more time goes on.

Hi Infidel;

I have tried numerous antidepressents since I was 23 (I'm 37 now) - including all the "tried and true", effexor, remeron, wellbutrin, which I am still on in conjunction with Pristiq, neuerontin, etc. Pristiq seems to be working, without the weight gain, it has gotten rid of 'anger' spells, just upped from 50mg, to 100mg today but have been on it for months, and I think it is great. I haven't experienced any odd side effects, though I know everyone reacts differently to different medications...

Hang in there, I think it's worth a try!

:hearts:

vballqt1

Well, I may have mentioned previously, the Pristiq wasn't effective and I went back to Effexor. Stopped Effexor for about a year while I tried other things. Just tried Prozac which didn't do what I needed. My Doc has convinced me to try Pristiq again but this time at 100mg/day instead of 50, so I'm giving it another shot. Right now it's combined with provigil to address tiredness issues, which is why I stopped the Effexor initially.

I'm on day 11 with a combination of 50mg of Pristiq and 150mg daily dosage of Bupropine. Most of my side effects have gone away. The only ones that really lingers is dilated eyes (only really a problem with wearing contacts) and fatigue.

Actually, kind of a strange one, but I was wondering if anyone notices their jaw being really tense? I've consistently been catching myself gritting my teeth down. I've never really had this kind of problem before so I'm assuming this has something to do with it.

I have been on Pristiq for a little over a month. I stay so very tired and have also noticed my jaws hurting and me clintching my mouth and teeth.

New member here. I'm curious about Pristiq and high blood pressure. I've tried virtually all ADs, and have settled into long-term (2 years) use of Wellbutrin, mainly because for me it doesn't have sexual side effects. However, I've been feeling its effectivenes is diminishing as the months go by. I want to discuss possibly switching from Wellbutrin with my doc, and Pristiq comes to mind. However, the ads caution about possible blood pressure issues. I do have high BP, although it's well controlled with medication. Does anyone have experience with Pristiq and high BP?

Hey Stevie,

I am on day four of starting Pristiq, after about 9 months of being off all meds. Previous to that I was on Lexapro for about 2 years. I have had some high blood pressure issues lately as well...not sure if they are due to anxiety or a combination of a physical issue. Anyway, I took my first dose of 50mg Pristiq, and as the day went on, I felt a lot of pressure in my head. Not a headache, just pressure, and freaked out as I read the label about the high blood pressure warnings. The next day I called the doctor and she put me on Lisinopril (20mg) to work on the blood pressure. So it's day three on that stuff. I have also been taking 1mg Lorazepam at night to help me sleep.

So, today was the first day I can say that I made it through most of the day without that extreme head pressure, which had been pretty much non-stop since the moment I popped my first Pristiq. I am starting to feel it slightly this evening, but overall today was a mild improvement. I think the bp meds take a while to really start working too, so it's probably too early to give it a good assessment.

I'm not sure what is doing what to me, but so far other than the extreme head pressure, I have noticed an occasional feeling of pins and needles in random spots of my body, mainly in my arms. Not as bad as if my body part was completely asleep, just a slight notice of it. Quite a bit of nausea, not extreme, just annoying. One dizzy spell when I got up from the floor too quickly. So far none of the sand baggy head feelings like the Lexapro did to me. My head feels a bit flushed at times still too. So far no improvement in being able to concentrate at work, and no noticeable change in my depression, but at day four, I didn't expect any significant improvement.

Overall, I'm borderline on Pristiq, but I read a post that someone said try to get through the first week, so I'll give it a go. Hopefully my head doesn't explode first.

YES! It works! I'm diagnosed bipolar and have tried a lot of meds over the last 10 years. (Anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, anxiolitics etc) Eventually, I stopped taking anything due to ineffectiveness. However recently, my depression got to be too much so I went to the doc and he gave me an rx for Pristiq. I've been on it for almost 2 weeks now and I DEFINITELY notice a positive difference. I don't focus on the "negative" or feel such a "gloom" half as much as I use to. It was an.. unreasonable amount of gloom. Now I feel.. normal? That's probably a good word for it.

The initial side effects didn't bother me.. Only slightly "slow going" in the head for a few days, I woke up early on the first couple nights, and slight delayed ejaculation. (Pristiq has been the least worrisome of all the meds in the sex dept.) Sometimes, I still notice a bit of a delayed ejaculation, but nothing to really be concerned about and certainly nothing to discourage me from taking it. As a matter of fact, Pristiq has helped to put me on a sleep schedule for the first time in YEARS. Before, I had no schedule. I'd go to bed at 12am, 2am, 5am etc and wake up 10am, 2pm etc.. Now, I'm usually ready for bed around 12 and ready to get up around 8 so that's GREAT for me.

The last time I took a med, it was Effexor and while everyone is saying that Pristiq is just an excuse to extend a patent, I can tell you that Pristiq has been more effective than Effexor for me. I'm so surprised that some of you are coming off of another med, start taking Pristiq for only a few days and then stop because of the side effects. What some of you need to keep in mind is that YOU ARE COMING OFF OF ANOTHER MED! There will be withdrawal symptoms from your last med and I think some of you are blaming those negative effects on "the new one" before the old one is even out of your system. Going from one med to another isn't easy, but keep in mind that it's a transitional period and patience is required. Some of you are likely missing out due to this pre-judement...

Hey Stevie,

I am on day four of starting Pristiq, after about 9 months of being off all meds. Previous to that I was on Lexapro for about 2 years. I have had some high blood pressure issues lately as well...not sure if they are due to anxiety or a combination of a physical issue. Anyway, I took my first dose of 50mg Pristiq, and as the day went on, I felt a lot of pressure in my head. Not a headache, just pressure, and freaked out as I read the label about the high blood pressure warnings. The next day I called the doctor and she put me on Lisinopril (20mg) to work on the blood pressure. So it's day three on that stuff. I have also been taking 1mg Lorazepam at night to help me sleep.

So, today was the first day I can say that I made it through most of the day without that extreme head pressure, which had been pretty much non-stop since the moment I popped my first Pristiq. I am starting to feel it slightly this evening, but overall today was a mild improvement. I think the bp meds take a while to really start working too, so it's probably too early to give it a good assessment.

I'm not sure what is doing what to me, but so far other than the extreme head pressure, I have noticed an occasional feeling of pins and needles in random spots of my body, mainly in my arms. Not as bad as if my body part was completely asleep, just a slight notice of it. Quite a bit of nausea, not extreme, just annoying. One dizzy spell when I got up from the floor too quickly. So far none of the sand baggy head feelings like the Lexapro did to me. My head feels a bit flushed at times still too. So far no improvement in being able to concentrate at work, and no noticeable change in my depression, but at day four, I didn't expect any significant improvement.

Overall, I'm borderline on Pristiq, but I read a post that someone said try to get through the first week, so I'll give it a go. Hopefully my head doesn't explode first.

Dude,

Thanks for the input. My HBP has been a pretty significant issue. It is controlled by meds, but I take three different ones - a beta blocker twice a day, and a diuretic and Lisinopril once a day. It sounds like I should steer clear of Pristiq. But I don't think all the BP meds help with my depression, so I'm always looking for that "just-right" combination.

I am now on day 6 of Pristiq 50 mg after switching from Cymbalta 60 mg. There were absolutely no withdrawal effects with a direct switch and I can already feel a difference. Cymbalta caused weight gain, less energy and motivation, naps during the day, and just a general 'slowing down' of my system.

Pristiq has already increased my energy, decreased my appetite, and I have no desire for naps during the day. So far so good and I hope it just keeps getting better!

My PDOC just put my on Pristiq 50 mg and is having me wean off of my Cymbalta 60mg as well. For this first week he is having me drop my Cymbalta dosage to 30 mg and then discontinue. Cymbalta also caused extreme fatigue for me and I took naps often during the day. I am only on day 3 of the Pristiq and I am really hoping it helps with the fatigue. Some days I was so tired I could not get out of bed! My PDOC also is having me take Adderrall 10 mg in the morning to help with my lack of energy. I will keep you posted on how the Pristiq and adderrall work together for me. If anyone else has experience with these two meds any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have been on Pristiq for three weeks now after failing with Lexapro and Addavan. Pristiq has done wonders for me! Of course the first few days it didn't seem to be helping but my Doctor added Abilify (2MG) in addition to Pristiq and what a world of difference it has made. I walked around in a haze having terrible panic attacks and weepiness to feeling "normal" again. I take the meds together as soon as I get up in the morning and I have had NO side effects from either.

I have been on Lexapro and a thyroid medication for about 3 months. I told my dr I was still feeling times of sadness and napping to much on the weekends when not working. Also restless at night, waking up still. My dr added Pristiq to my morning regime starting tomorrow. He's hoping if I like the Pristiq he'll wean me off the Lexapro. What do you think? Any feedback? Thanks.

Edited by Dengirl

Hey all,

Just registered today. October was my first month on pristiq and it went surprisingly well. No extreme nausea or headaches which I am thankful for. This is my first time taking an AD and I suppose its my first time experiencing major depression. My episode seems to be worsening though; I am barely going to classes because I can't get out of bed. I'm still crying a lot too. I haven't been entirely adiment about popping the pill at the same time everyday so that could be contributing. My doc's appointment is coming up so maybe we will discuss increasing to 100 mg. Therapy is going okay, it's hard work though reversing negative thinking and rephrasing all of the things we convice ourselves about.

I really wish I wasn't in school right now as well. It just seems to be the instigator of such a viscious cycle. I wish to exercise and be outside and find what is going to help in pulling me out of depression but I have assignments that take me ages to complete because I can't focus and really don't care. My mums convinced me to email my profs about my condition and so hopefully I will be granted extensions and can actually pass the term.

I've been having some painful poops lately tooooo - man, can anybody else relate?? hahaha

I do want to get better and I remind myself of that everyday.

I hope you are all doing well and having hope for the future. We are loved.

Peace, Namaste

Nearly a month now, no side effects noticed other than lots of fatigue, which may or may not be from the Pristiq. I guess I should say the sexual side effects seem the same, delayed orgasm, otherwise no noticeable difference. I'll be going from 50 to 100 mg this week, so I'll be able to report on that soon.

hello..quick question...how did the 100mgs of Pristiq work for you????I have been on 50mgs of pristiq for a month, and nothing!!!! I mean, really no side effects, but i don't feel the veil has lifted and their isn't any energy!!!!!!! How did u do on the 100mgs???????????? thanks!!!

Hey Stevie,

Dude,

Thanks for the input. My HBP has been a pretty significant issue. It is controlled by meds, but I take three different ones - a beta blocker twice a day, and a diuretic and Lisinopril once a day. It sounds like I should steer clear of Pristiq. But I don't think all the BP meds help with my depression, so I'm always looking for that "just-right" combination.

Hello I was wondering how are you doing on Pristiq now? Thanks...

Hi all.

I weaned myself off Effexor XR about a month ago. I was down to counting 10 little dots out of the capsule and taking just that much each day. I tried using 5-HTP instead, but at 300mg per day I was still crying uncontrollably at the drop of a hat and couldn't live that way. I weaned myself off because I was really fatigued. I had a physical and found out I was anemic, so with iron supplements my energy levels have gone up a lot.

My doctor gave me Pristiq and a few Ativan to help with my most anxious times, mostly at night. After about five days of Pristiq I no longer needed the Ativan at all. I've been feeling better, but now I'm 2 and a half weeks on Pristiq and I'm having some anxious times. I know I need to wait for at least four weeks until the meds have stabilized. I'm thinking of supplementing with 50mg 5-HTP when I'm really anxious, keeping a close eye on my reaction to avoid serotonin syndrome.

Good luck to all of us...

I am currently on 100mgs of Pristiq. Mood and all is pretty good, but im soooooooooooo tired all the time. im tired of being tired =( I was on cymbalta for years before that and had the same problem. i was hoping pristiq would help ... i think it did a little, but not enough. i have just started augmenting it with bupropion 150 xl. Probably only been a week, too early to tell if it helps or not. if it doesn't, i might try going down to 50mg pristiq. i would just be worried because wellbutrin raises my anxiety level. pristiq helps with anxiety, so reducing it might make me more anxious.

Hi Infidel,

This is very interesting to me. I take Effexor and have for about 15 years. I have always had success with it and continue to, which I am so thankful about. Recently I heard about this drug, Pristiq, but at the time the person couldn't recall the name of it. She said that it was supposed to be better than Effexor. Now that I know the name, I think I will do some research on this - right now! I'll get back to you with whatever I find out.

Thanks for this info!

Always Trying

Hi Guys, I am writing this as I am concerned for my wife ( I am Michael from Sydney Australia), she went on Effexor 10 years ago and gradually went from 150mg to 225mg and all has been ok, just feeling down of late, she recently saw a Phyc Dr who prescribed Pristiq in 100mg, which she has been taking for 2 weeks now....

I have watched her gradually go to a dark place almost everyday and she has been more angry at the kids and unreasonable in discussions with myself, she tried calling her Dr who is on holiday at present, so she is going back on effexor today at 300mg to see if she can pull around...

I will let you know how she goes... (lucky I work from home so I can help her!)

Hi Everyone,

Ive never been on any meds before, and since taking Pristiq, I cant believe how great I feel....I started on 50mg but only for the 2 weeks, no worries...then 100mg for the last 4 weeks.

I can sleep through the night and have no real side effects...a headache for a few days but that's the worst of it.

My appetite has decreased which is great as I was "comfort" eating before.

I really don't know too much about any meds, but all I can say, is that Ive gone from being extremely anxious and irritable to being very calm and in control. It feels like I used to in the good ole days when I was carefree. I will keep you updated as the weeks go by. Take care of yourselves! :)

Hi Infidel,

This is very interesting to me. I take Effexor and have for about 15 years. I have always had success with it and continue to, which I am so thankful about. Recently I heard about this drug, Pristiq, but at the time the person couldn't recall the name of it. She said that it was supposed to be better than Effexor. Now that I know the name, I think I will do some research on this - right now! I'll get back to you with whatever I find out.

Thanks for this info!

Always Trying

Hi,

I just posted about being on Pozac for 20 years and then being switched to Pristiq. I tolerated Prozac very well yet I felt the need for a boost. My Dr thought that maybe I had become immune to Prozacs effectiveness. I don't like the Pristiq at all!! Severe dry mouth, headaches and vivid bad dreams. I want to return to my good old Prozac. Good luck to us all! : )

It's been a long time since I posted. I just wanted to say that, minus a financially difficult few months in the summer of '09, I've been on Pristiq since September of 2008. I figured a long-term assessment of this drug's effectiveness might help some people who are just beginning treatment. This drug does wonders for me. I no longer feel depressed. I feel like me again. A few months ago, my doctor upped my dose to 100mg, and I no longer experience any of the symptoms that drove me to seek treatment. I know this drug gets a lot of flak, but it has done wonders for me. When I am sometimes obliged to go without pills for a day or two, I experience significant discontinuation symptoms. Actually, I feel like I am on drugs when I am off of them! Otherwise, everything is hunky dory. For me, Pristiq has been a huge success. My only concern is that I will suffer a relapse or unbearable discontinuation symptoms when the time comes for me to taper off of this medication.

I am now on day 6 of Pristiq 50 mg after switching from Cymbalta 60 mg. There were absolutely no withdrawal effects with a direct switch and I can already feel a difference. Cymbalta caused weight gain, less energy and motivation, naps during the day, and just a general 'slowing down' of my system.

Pristiq has already increased my energy, decreased my appetite, and I have no desire for naps during the day. So far so good and I hope it just keeps getting better!

I have been on cymbalta for 5 months it is a wonder drug give s you a window of oppertunity.. withdrawals from not taking meds are crazy ... i have sorted my self out and asked the doctor to come off cymbalta 60 mg ... also i put on weight, october i was 14 stone 7, now 17 stone although fit been training hard eating healthy but makes no diffrent ...... and have always been able to lose weight fast as i have played rugby al my life.!!!!!!!!! ...... so he has put me on half a tablet once a day 25mg if symptoms get worse take a whole tablet ... 50 mg .. i have started taking today ... i have a 28 day course hope fully that will be it .... so i am 6 days behined you ....

Edited by SecretMist

Hi, I am new to this forum. I found it by researching Pristiq. Let me start by telling you a little about me. :) My name is Erika. I have had depression for about 9 months or so now. It started because I was 8 months pregnant and developed swine flu. I ended up in the hospital in a medically induced coma and they had to take my baby early due to the severe complications in my breathing. I was put on life support and they did an emergency c section. All while i was unconcious. Long story short, I didn't know my baby was even born till she was almost a month old. I was finally weaned off of the ventilator and awoken from the coma at that point. I woke up and had post partum depression due to not being able to bond with my baby until she was about 2 to 3 months old. I am now severely depressed.. I tried lexapro, then was put on effexor... None of which worked for me. Finally my mother was taking pristiq due to my step father died shortly after I came out of my coma. (which added to my depression) But I tried one of her sample packs of pristiq and felt immediately better. Well better than i had been feeling which was AWFUL.. I would sleep for days at a time and I'm not exaggerating at all. I had no energy and no self worth. I wanted to die. But I have been on pristiq for about 2 weeks and I feel tons better. I now have atleast a bit of energy and I can now get out of bed, although i am still exhausted. I work full time and I attend school, as well as have 4 children. Luckily my mom and my brother and my fiance help me alot. But anyways.. I hope Pristiq continues to work for me and to work for others as well! I will keep you updated :)

I began taking pristiq last december in combination with remeron which I was already using. When I was taking remeron alone I could function but was plagued by suicidal thoughts on a daily basis. These thoughts almost completely disappeared soon after I started taking pristiq.

Hello everyone. My name is john. I have been taking Effexor Xr for a few years and I will be changing over to PRISTIQ starting on monday. The only reason is that my fatigue symptoms are really getting the better of me and Pristiq is supposed to help with that better them Effexor. I have read a lot of posts in this forum and done a huge amount of research myself as well as gone through a lot of stuff myself with my current situation being Bi-Polar. So here is what has happened to me. First off, I was mis-diagnosed several times for many years because most family doctors are just not informed enough to be able to really diagnose Bi-Polar. So I have been told i have Social Anxiety Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder, etc. So I have been mistreated a lot. I am the one, doing the research that ended up picking my medication of choice and suggesting it to my doctor, lol. which was effexor xr.

Anyways, back to our original story. Yes, I am going to switch out to Pristiq because I need to have more energy so I can work at my full time job more effectively. My depression symptoms with the effexxor are pretty much controlled but my fatigue is pretty out of control. So I need that to stop. As well, weight game is a big issue as well. So hopefully Pristiq will help me out here. The other thing I fully expect is that this will take months, not weeks to really be effective. I have seen people in the forums give up after a couple of weeks. Most of these drugs will not even be reasonably effective until 6 months into use. Effexor does not even fully manifest itself as useful until 6 weeks into its cycle. So why are you expecting the Pristiq will be different? Be reasonable everyone. Give it a chance. I will not be changing, pretty much unless my hair is on fire until at least 2 months in. Then my doctor and I will evaluate it with my specialist, my Physcopharmachologist.

anyways, thats my story. hope it helps you guys out a little.

john

Edited by iowa
safety

What about weight gain? I've been on Zoloft, then Cymbalta, and now just started taking Pristiq. I gained alot of weight while on the zoloft and cymbalta but was told I should lose weight, not gain with the Pristiq.

Anybody else had that problem??

Edited by fatigued

I am 23 yrs old and I Just started taking Pristiq and the instructions say not to drink alcohol and not to miss any doses. So how am I suppose to go out and drink and party with my friends on weekends. I go out oine day a week and have around 12 drinks so should i just skip that day of Pristiq? I dunno please help. I'm also worried about coming off Pristiq?

I am 23 yrs old and I Just started taking Pristiq and the instructions say not to drink alcohol and not to miss any doses. So how am I suppose to go out and drink and party with my friends on weekends. I go out oine day a week and have around 12 drinks so should i just skip that day of Pristiq? Will it cause liver damage if i do both? I dunno please help. I'm also worried about coming off Pristiq?

I've been taking Effexor for about 5 years at 150 mg. Next week I will be changing to Pristiq. I've been physically exhausted for over a month and a half and my Doctor thinks that it is a built-up side-effect of the Effexor, so I might as well try the Prestique, as it has a reputation for being less intense. I'll let you know how it goes. The plan is to go from 150 mg to 75 mg for 5 days, then start the 50mg of Prestiq. Has anyone else done it this way? I'm afraid this is too sudden of a change.