Sign in to follow this  
Infidel

Anyone Started Taking Pristiq Yet?

After a long period trying different ADs, I've gone back to Effexor. My Dr. prescribed the latest incarnation, Pristiq, supposed to be more effective but some say it's just a trick to extend the patent.

Along with the Pristiq, my Dr has prescribed a folate supplement that is supposed to make the AD more effective.

I'm starting the second week and feel ok, hoping for better results as more time goes on.

After a long period trying different ADs, I've gone back to Effexor. My Dr. prescribed the latest incarnation, Pristiq, supposed to be more effective but some say it's just a trick to extend the patent.

Along with the Pristiq, my Dr has prescribed a folate supplement that is supposed to make the AD more effective.

I'm starting the second week and feel ok, hoping for better results as more time goes on.

I just started Pristiq today and will keep you posted. This is after being weaned off Paxil CR which I was on for four years, then going to Cymbalta (what a nightmare). I really thought I was going to die. I was then was put on Zoloft which caused severe side effects. I'm hoping Pristiq will work for me.

I just started Pristiq today and will keep you posted. This is after being weaned off Paxil CR which I was on for four years, then going to Cymbalta (what a nightmare). I really thought I was going to die. I was then was put on Zoloft which caused severe side effects. I'm hoping Pristiq will work for me.

I've been at the 50mg dose for 2.5 weeks now, so I'm still hoping for improved effects. My Psych dr is more concerned so he prescribed the 100mg for when the 50 mg rx runs out. If Eeffexor goes to a generic, I'll go back to that just for the cost savings. I was also prescribed 0.5 mg Clonapam/klonopin 3x daily for this incessant anxiety I have, maybe due to just starting out on the Pristiq, not sure, but it seems to help.

I was put on Cymbalta when I went off Effexor, I was told that Cymbalta used the same mechanism as effexor but had some additional AD properties, I did ok on it, but it wasn't any better/worse than effexor for me. So once again I switched to try to find the magic bullet.

Hi Infidel,

This is very interesting to me. I take Effexor and have for about 15 years. I have always had success with it and continue to, which I am so thankful about. Recently I heard about this drug, Pristiq, but at the time the person couldn't recall the name of it. She said that it was supposed to be better than Effexor. Now that I know the name, I think I will do some research on this - right now! I'll get back to you with whatever I find out.

Thanks for this info!

Always Trying

Hi Infidel,

This is very interesting to me. I take Effexor and have for about 15 years. I have always had success with it and continue to, which I am so thankful about. Recently I heard about this drug, Pristiq, but at the time the person couldn't recall the name of it. She said that it was supposed to be better than Effexor. Now that I know the name, I think I will do some research on this - right now! I'll get back to you with whatever I find out.

Thanks for this info!

Always Trying

HE

Hi Always Trying,

Pristiq is actually produced in the body of anybody who takes Effexor, it's a metabolite of it. One of the advantages is that the theraputic dose is only 50mg which a patient can be started on straight away. I guess the reseason that the dose is so much lower than Effexor is that not a 100% of the Effexor is metabolised into Pristiq. It also avoids the main pathway into the liver which would help anybody with any liver problems - though it does not completely avoid being metabolised by it.

It's expected to have less side effects than effexor but I think it's to early to be sure. As regards it's effectiveness there seeems to be some doubt about it having any advantage in terms of effectiveness over EFFEXOR -the (POSSIBLY) cynical view is that this drug has been produced to switch peope over from Effexor as that goes 'generic' in a couple of years.

Also this quote from a link I find has the following to say -

"" The main Wyeth marketing point for Pristiq is that patients can get better by taking the beginning dose of 50 mg, eliminating the need for a complicated upward dose titration process. Sorry, but this is not different from Effexor. If you look at one of the original fixed-dose studies of Effexor, comparing patients taking 75 mg, 225 mg, or 375 mg, you

Prot -

You are 10 steps ahead of me! The info I found is from exactly where you found it, so I have nothing to add. Only the info you did add was good to know and of course not written by Wyeth. Another thing that is very interesing to me is that I do have liver problems, which my doctor knows. She hasn't ever made any comments about it, but maybe with this new drug out, she may want to switch me. Hmmm, all good food for thought.

Thank you very much for your knowledge!

Also, RITCHIE! Hey - come back and keep us posted on how this is working for you!

Always Trying

Infidel,

You too please keep me up to date on how this works for you. I may wait til I hear from you guys before I talk to my doc about it.

(Sorry about that!)

A.T.

Prot -

You are 10 steps ahead of me! The info I found is from exactly where you found it, so I have nothing to add. Only the info you did add was good to know and of course not written by Wyeth. Another thing that is very interesing to me is that I do have liver problems, which my doctor knows. She hasn't ever made any comments about it, but maybe with this new drug out, she may want to switch me. Hmmm, all good food for thought.

Also, RITCHIE! Hey - come back and keep us posted on how this is working for you!

Always Trying

Thanks for all the information. It helps a lot. Still on the 50 mg Pristiq but haven't noticed any difference. Still have the crying jags and extreme sadness. I know it takes time but I don't want to wait. The only side effect I have noticed is slight nausea. My doctor prescirbed Provigil and Lamictal several months ago, so I'm taking these with Pristiq. I don't have all the symptoms of bipolar according to him, just mood swings. I wonder how long before the dosage of Pristiq is increased if the 50 mg doesn't seem to work. I'll keep you guys informed and let me know anything you find out also.

Prot -

Always Trying

Thanks for all the information. It helps a lot. Still on the 50 mg Pristiq but haven't noticed any difference. Still have the crying jags and extreme sadness. I know it takes time but I don't want to wait. The only side effect I have noticed is slight nausea. My doctor prescirbed Provigil and Lamictal several months ago, so I'm taking these with Pristiq. I don't have all the symptoms of bipolar according to him, just mood swings. I wonder how long before the dosage of Pristiq is increased if the 50 mg doesn't seem to work. I'll keep you guys informed and let me know anything you find out also.

I stopped Lamictal about the time I started the Pristiq, Lamictal was innefective. I can attest that I have felt no side effects at all from Pristiq other than decreased appetite (which really could be due to the concerta). Since starting the Pristiq I'm no longer depressed and despondent, the Concerta I'm sure helps though. I also take the clonazapam for anxiety. This combo is working for me, but it is difficult to ascribe what traits to which drugs.

I'm brand new to forums, but I REALLY hope this forum keeps up and you guys continue to give updates on Pristiq. I've been on Effexor XR 75mg for almost 2 years with awesome results in decreasing my anxiety and depression. I have a new husband and my life is awesome now except for the darn sexual side effects; I would love to get off of the Effexor but the withdrawals are TERRIBLE!! My doctor gave me Pristiq and says I can replace my Effexor with it starting tomorrow. I am very anxious and hopeful. Lets keep everyone updated on this new drug.

I'm brand new to forums, but I REALLY hope this forum keeps up and you guys continue to give updates on Pristiq. I've been on Effexor XR 75mg for almost 2 years with awesome results in decreasing my anxiety and depression. I have a new husband and my life is awesome now except for the darn sexual side effects; I would love to get off of the Effexor but the withdrawals are TERRIBLE!! My doctor gave me Pristiq and says I can replace my Effexor with it starting tomorrow. I am very anxious and hopeful. Lets keep everyone updated on this new drug.

My doctor took me off the Pristiq. I had rapid heart beats, increase in anxiety, and severe hostility and crying. I'm now back on Paxil which I went through hell to get off. In addition, he has put me on klonopin three times a day. I'm not sure what's next but I'm feeling a little more in control. But, just because Pristiq didn't work for me doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.

I'm really curious about this new drug. I'm really curious to read some pposts from people who have taken both and tell if there really is that much of a difference or if it is really just another patent extender. I bet the withdrawals will still be just as hellish for alot of folks.

Has anyone every heard of sever itching as a side effct from taking Pristiq? 50mg

My doctor took me off the Pristiq. I had rapid heart beats, increase in anxiety, and severe hostility and crying. I'm now back on Paxil which I went through hell to get off. In addition, he has put me on klonopin three times a day. I'm not sure what's next but I'm feeling a little more in control. But, just because Pristiq didn't work for me doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.

Did you also experience sever itching when you were on Pristiq?

Hey just signed up so thanks. A little about me: Been depressed for as long as I can remember. Had an aunt and uncle commit suicide when I was young and father left when I was six. Saw father for the first time in about 25 years (35 now, married, 3 year-old boy and baby girl on the way) and we didn't say a word to each other. Also, started a new job which sucks and this maybe triggered the latest episode of depression, but...

Started taking Cymbalta about a year ago, opted for therapy off and on in the years before but figured I would try drugs for the first time. Cymbalta started out good but then became a nightmare. Went from 30 to 60mg in a weekend and had all the side effects: Nausea, fatigue, insomnia (no kidding!), everything. Things seemed to even out, felt good. I could focus, good mood. Very recently, it seemed to stop working Stuck with it until yesterday when I met with the nurse practitioner and she gave me samples of Pristiq. Took one this morning, so far so good! I really thought I would freak from not taking Cymbalta but I feel okay. I will keep you posted...

Today is my second day on Pristiq and I'm pleasantly surprised to be feeling so good off of Effexor - NO withdrawals. No side effects as of yet and no itching as mentioned by one of the people who posted. I'm anxious to see if all of the Effexor side effects are gone :) Thanks for the response.

****Is there anyone else out there that has switched from Effexor to Pristiq?*******

I'm really curious about this new drug. I'm really curious to read some pposts from people who have taken both and tell if there really is that much of a difference or if it is really just another patent extender. I bet the withdrawals will still be just as hellish for alot of folks.

I can tell you that NOTHING else worked to get off of Effexor and I tried really hard to get off of it. My doctor tells me that the half life of the Pristiq is longer and therefore will be easier to wean off of(unlike withdrawals within hours of missing Effexor!). I don't know whether I'll stay on Pristiq or wean, but if it doesn't have some unwanted side effects that Effexor I may just stay on it.

I'm looking forward to hearing other people's experiences switching from Effexor to Pristiq and/or weaning off of Pristiq.

Looking forward to a "happy" day.

Nearly a month now, no side effects noticed other than lots of fatigue, which may or may not be from the Pristiq. I guess I should say the sexual side effects seem the same, delayed orgasm, otherwise no noticeable difference. I'll be going from 50 to 100 mg this week, so I'll be able to report on that soon.

I have been on the Pristiq one week and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't have withdrawals from the Effexor and the sexual side effects are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband would like to send the doctor flowers - ha ha. I have been extremely tired some days and I'm not sure if it is that I have been sick or the Pristiq, but I may just have to add Red Bull to my med regimen :).

Looking forward to hearing others experiences with Pristiq.

I'm on day 4 of 100 mg Pristiq and I'm feeling worse and worse. No energy during the day, in spite of taking Concerta as a stimulant. I get plenty of sleep but still feel tired regardless, even doing some physical activity doesn't shake it off. It is working for depression but I"m starting to experience anxiety again.

I'm really considering going back to Effexor, I never really had side effect issues with it and it seems like there's more control in varying the dose, whereas with Pristig it's just all or nothing.

Pristiq should be pretty easy to stop taking, since it shouldn't have the sideeffects that effexor has. If they can start you at the 50mg then you should be able to stop just as easy. Maybe try every other day for a bit, then every third day.

If Eeffexor goes to a generic, I'll go back to that just for the cost savings.

Are you in the US? We have a generic of Effexor in South Africa called Venlor - it's been out for about 2 years, I think.

I'm surprised. I thought you guys got all the good stuff first :)

I'm in the US, thought it was going generic sooner than that. Either way, I think Effexor worked better for me, so I'm going to try to get switched back over. I never had too much of an issue with the side effects.

Am i right in thinking you can just stop effexor 1 day and switch to Pristiq then next? Im currently taking 375mg of effexor so i guess

that would be 100mg of Pristiq? Does anyone know if its avalable in the UK yet? We are normaly years behind lol

My pdoc switched me from Effexor to Pristiq. After 4 days on it we had to up my dosage to 100 mg because 12 hours after taking a 50 mg dose there wouldn't be enough left in my body to prevent the "sand shakes" in my head among other things. After being on it for 2 weeks, my pdoc was on vacation and his associate took me off Pristiq due to excessive side effects and put me back on Effexor. I had absolutely no side effects going off Pristiq at all (two weeks isn't long but at least those of you interested in trying it will know that if it doesn't work for you it may not pose a problem to stop it with little or no pain after a couple of weeks). Since I was back on Effexor, my regular pdoc and I decided it would be best to up my dose to see if it would help with the depression symptoms. I had been on 225 mg before trying Pristiq so I went back to 225 for a week and then upped to 225 + 37.5 for a few days and then to 300 mg. It has not really helped my mood or energy but it has upped my blood pressure quite a bit.

Spoke to pdoc yesterday about this and voiced interest in trying Pristiq again hopefully with success this time given that I have had a previous experience with it. I think my side effects could have been a result of going off Effexor...I have been on it about 3 years. So I have an appt Wednesday and he is putting together a cross titration schedule for me. This time when I need to go up to 100 mg (if I need to), I won't take one pill every 12 hours but the whole dose at once just like I take my Effexor. I am also going to ask for some Ambien so I can try to keep my sleep schedule regular. I will say that at the end of my two week trial of Pristiq my mood and energy level were great (normal for most people but I say great because my mood and energy have been lacking for some time). This is what gives me incentive to give it another try. I am also on Klonopin - usually .5 mg per day but changing meds/changing doses tends to increase my anxiety temporarily so I may have some days where I take more. Pdoc doc always writes my Rx for extra so I have some to take PRN.

I really hope the second try works for me. I want to feel good and have energy to live life (and clean house!!). I think Pristiq has a lot of potential and is not simply a patent extender. It is a real alternative.

Fyi, I believe Effexor XR loses it patent protection here in the US in 2010. Different countries have different rules for patent protection and that's why some countries already have a generic version.

Also, lots of times I see people complaining of itching after starting a new AD or other medication. Itching and rash are hallmark signs of allergic reaction. Please call your doctor and bring it to his/her attention. If it's just itching, your doc may say it's acceptable and treat it. You can get a prescription for something that will treat the itching rather than being miserable with it.

I will post again once I am back on Pristiq and let you know how it's going.