Temporary Paralysis/numbness

Hello everyone. I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and offer any feedback. I suffer from anxiety/depression but have not had bouts with anxiety for a while. Last night I was coming out of the shower and drying off when I realized I COULD NOT feel where the towel was touching me unless I looked. This of course scared me to no end and I started making phone calls to get some help when I realized I could not even hold the phone. My hands clamped up in this claw like weird position and I could not unclamp them. Then my whole body could not move. I have never, ever been so scared in my life. My friend called the ambulance as I could not stand up or even shift my body. The brought to the hospital where they did some tests and said nothing was wrong! They said it was a panic attack. I have never experienced anxiety like this ever so I am still doubtful. I work for s social service agency so I went to talk to the director of my program, as she is a licensed councilor, and she said this can happen even with nothing triggering it. I mean nothing had happened I was not feeling anxious or even upset. Anyone else ever heard of anything like this? Thank you all so much in advance for your help. If this taught me anything it is the dependence we have on each other and how god seems to have us here to support each other through difficult times.

Hello LisaMarie,

Wow, that must have scared you to death!! :hearts: I was wondering, are you taking any medication for your anxiety? Had you increased your dosage. I cant tell you what caused this of course since Im not a doctor, but it is very strange. It seems like if this was an anxiety attack, you would at least be thinking or feeling anxious.

How are you now? I hope you are all better!!! Keep us posted. HUGS :flowers:

Best Wishes,

gENTLE sUN

Thank you so much gentle sun!

i have still been feeling the numbness off and on so i do have a follow up appointment with my doctor. i am still not sure what happened but i am taking it minute by minute... literally. i am on zoloft but i sometimes take kolonopin as needed.

I've been getting something similar for the last two years, it started off with waking up and my arms and legs feeling "dead", as in, i'd hold my right arm up with my left arm and it would be ice cold and fall back down without feeling a thing, no control over it at all. It only lasted for a few seconds but it scared the life out of me. Then it started happening with my legs, but it was only when i woke up but it was nothing as extreme as yours.

And then suddenly last year I started to get sleep paralysis, i'd go to bed and within seconds i'd hear a weird crackling sound, like someone blowing into your ear and suddenly i go completely numb, can't even move my foot, can't talk, nothing. Absolutely awful >_<

I suffer from depression and anxiety like you, i'm not sure myself what exactly causes it but my doctor said it had to do with the anxiety issues aswell.

wow! god the mind is so powerful and mysterious (i am not sure i like that combo...) my psych does not think it is JUST anxiety... so i have an appt today with my GP and i guess she will refer me to a neurologist to see what's going on. PUPPET have you thought of seeing a neurologist? or maybe your more like me avoidance is my best friend! i will keep you guys updated thanks for your support. you probably have NO IDEA how much it helps! blessings!

I have issues with restless leg and my feet tingling and my GP is working on addressing this. I'm scheduled to have some blood testing done as her first thought is that my body isn't absorbing vitamin b, or it's a problem with another nutrient, which escapes my brain at the moment. Something like potassium, I think.

I'm so interested in what you find out. I think we blame anxiety for somethings that are medical. If anxiety is from your brain producing enough chemicals, there's no reason not to think there are more mix-ups going on than just that!

Jackie

I've never locked up from panic attacks, but I have lost sensation in my hands/feet and even passed out. The one time was really weird...my vision went purple and then I was out like a light. When I woke up my vision was still blacked out and I couldn't move my body, but I was able to talk. Actually, I told the people who had stopped to help me (I had passed out in the grass outside of the University rec center) that I was conscious, but couldn't see anything. That freaked them out pretty good. Of course, it did the same for me.

Anyway, you're definitely not alone on this. For a while the numbness was bad enough that the idea of me having MS was tossed around. Not exactly a pleasant deal.

Cheers

Things like this can be so scary!

A year ago I began to deal with a serious fatigue that became overwhelming to the point that I could no longer take care of myself. I'd also slowly been developing random neurological symptoms like odd dizziness, tingling, numbness, tinnitus, and toward the end had some difficulty maintaining balance and speaking. I'd had MRI's done and everything was clear, so we'd been assuming it was related to my arthritis. At the end of November was when things came to a head & I could no longer manage at all. My rheumatologist started to become suspicious & ran a bunch of blood tests. He called me one night absolutely floored by the results he'd gotten back. I had a Vitamin D deficiency, which obviously affects depression, but my Iron and Vitamin B12 levels were severely deficient. Apparently it's unusual for both to go as low as they did, but I sure was feeling it, lol!

This is when I learned what B12 does for your body. I'm very lucky to not have developed brain damage or lesions on my spine, and with intense treatment things are slowly improving. My deficiencies are due to malabsorption & I've since tested positive for a blood test that indicates Celiac disease or gluten intolerance - I see a gastroenterologist in a couple of weeks.

If you're ever experiencing neurological symptoms, it's worth having your B12 levels checked because it may be as simple as that. Deficiencies like mine are not common, but you never know what may be happening.....I sure didn't, lol!

:hearts:

thank you all soooooo much for your replies...you have no idea how they have helped. i have still been avoiding the situation. i have still been numb (mostly face/hands) and it is on my to do list today to make the follow up appt w/ a neurologist and get some blood tests done ( i did see my psych and my general doc) so i will let everyone know when i find out! in the mean time your support is INVALUABLE

thank you all soooooo much for your replies...you have no idea how they have helped. i have still been avoiding the situation. i have still been numb (mostly face/hands) and it is on my to do list today to make the follow up appt w/ a neurologist and get some blood tests done ( i did see my psych and my general doc) so i will let everyone know when i find out! in the mean time your support is INVALUABLE

I did the same, they blood tests were all fine. The symptoms worsened at some points and the doctor refused to put me through another series of tests as he said they would "find nothing" and would "exascerbate your anxiety".

I have been doing well on anti-depressants, returned to work as normal and almost immediately I get similar symptoms. I actually get burning in my neck and face, can't move my face properly and my hands are burning up.

The thing is I don't feel anxious, the physical pain I get makes me anxious on top of any other strain and I can't seem to control it.

I have had some similar "attacks" where I'll just suddenly "freeze" like a deer in the headlights, mentally go blank or briefly get paralyzed/numb/tingly or briefly black out or get tunnel vision for a few seconds. I've also had sudden "attacks" I get an intense feeling of "deja vu" and everything in the room gets distorted and I'm left feeling weird and confused. These attacks are scary as hell and of course bring on some of the typical panic symptoms such as racing heart, sense of impending doom or death, etc. The first time this happened was this past January when I was sitting in front of my computer and had no warning (e.g. no prior anxiety symptoms) and was scary as hell. I didn't know what it was and thought maybe I was having a seizure or stroke or something (although I have no known history of either). The symptoms ended up in a massive panic attack, with all the classic physical and mental symptoms, such as breathing difficulty, muscle tension and numbness, racing heart along with intense emotional distress and extreme fear. My doc diagnosed it as a panic attack and referred me to my psychiatrist, who increased my dose of Klonopin from 0.5 mg to 1.5 mg daily and subsequently put me on Buspar and Mirtazapine, both of which can also help lower anxiety. However, I keep having these brief but scary attacks, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on. I'm thinking of seeing a neurologist to rule out something other than anxiety/panic (I have already been to two neurologists give me EEG's to rule out seizures, both of which came back negative) but suspect these symptoms may be psychogenic. Anxiety and stress can certainly do some odd things to the body and mind. I'd see a psychiatrist and perhaps a neurologist to try and get a diagnosis. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck, as I know how distressing these symptoms can be.

• 6 years later...

hey im madi ive had a very similar situation when I was 9 I was helping my mum cook muffins I reached out for the tea towel and couldn't feel it till I then looked at it I thought maybe it was just I was tired or something so I went to lye down then all my muscles cramped up and I was in excruciating pain then I felt nothing it was like I was alive but dead after half an hour I was better we lived in a country town so I couldn't go to the doctors and mum and I thought this insnt normal maybe its a huge muscle spasm or something I sort of just thought to myself that's the case im fine. 4 days later after five of these episodes I went to the doctor they said it was a severe panic attack and the brain couldn't send messages to my body or something because it was going to fast. I was then diagnosed with major depression disorder.

Edited by madison123

• 1 year later...

I'm soo happy I found this i as well have anxiety but not for awhile I hegemony even took my medicine but I was driving..Yes DRIVING yesterday night home and literally every piece of my body even my face went numb for like 3-4seconds...before the numbness my whole body went super hot nd sweat nd when the feeling came back I was super cold and shaking I was terrified and have been trying to find answers since yesterday night (5/31/2016) so this makes me feel a little better that it could be just anxiety. 

Sorry to hear you have experienced this lisamarie, and everyone else here sharing their stories. My worst 'episodes' can only be described as 'fits', where my whole body tightens up before I eventually start thrashing out and screaming. These can be caused by triggers or happen randomly after a sudden flashback or sometimes for no apparent reason at all. The only solution is to ride it out.

• 4 months later...

Hi did you ever find out what happen. Became the the same thing happen to me like 8 years ago I was at my computer and then my hands just started to feel numb on me then the cramped up into a claw and the same thing happen to my legs and feet I was sitting and my my legs curved in wards and my feed cramped up like my hands and where numb I was temporarily paralyzed. It scared the out of me I screamed for my husband I couldn't move. :(  I do suffer from anxiety and bipolar depression. But I seriously don't think that has anything to do with it but then till now I still have no clue what happen. I have lots of medical issues spinal cord disease and now lots of numbing and pain in foot hands..  Please let me know thanks. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

This has happened to me as well. It's so scary and also, painful. it usually starts for me as a tingle and warm feeling from the chest and neck and then it grows slowly through my whole body where literally every single muscle cramps up in a contorted position. It has happened multiple times and at first my hands did the "claw". It lasts for 30 mins and I cant move and no one can pry my fingers apart. 

No apparent triggers initially , the first time I was with friends having just returned home from class at college and when I say every muscle, I mean every muscle so my tongue and lips are somehow cramped shut too and I cant even talk. My friend called 911 and the paramedics came. I was on no medication at the time but I do have anxiety.

sometimes the hand position is different which I find so strange. It has been the claw and then fists and then straight fingers.

Also, get this! when I got my wisdom teeth removed, it happened as the dentists counted down after giving me anesthesia. Suddenly I was waking up in a different room, they had me sitting up on a bench but my legs were sticking straight out and the full body paralysis /muscle cramping was still happening although I had been asleep/having dental surgery for 45 minutes. ?? 

• 3 months later...

Hi my 18 year old daughter suffers with panic attacks and has the same symptoms whilst having an attack, her hands and feet become claw like and her body locks in position, it's very painful and only starts relaxing after about an hour. She also has an underactive thyroid and chronic fatigue syndrome and has a lot of tiredness and muscle weakness. Her latest symptoms are when waking she can hear me but cannot move or even open her eyes. It takes about half an hour for her eyes to open and then she can only communicate by blinking, she eventually regains use of speech and her body after 2 hours, I am waiting for a neurology appointment but has anyone else suffered like this? 

• 1 year later...