Does Anyone Truely Recover From Depression?

Rage1605

Hi everyone! I have been on depression medicine for quite a while now and I am switching from lexapro to Paxil because lexapro stopped working for me.

I am wondering, can you ever get better or get rid of depression???? I have been on different medications for over 10-12 years now (I am 26) and while I am weaning off of Lexapro maybe I should try without drugs to see how I feel? OR when you have depression you just have it and your body/brain will never fix itself????

I never tried to **** myself but I was self destructive because of my derpression (smoked wacky tobaccy when I was 16-18, had sex with a lot of girls so I could get that momentary high of feeling good, and I dropped out of High School because I just didn't care about life anymore but I never wanted to die, in fact, I was afraid of boarding airplanes and flying because I was afraid they would crash).

I used to have panic attacks when I was 12-15, I was on medication and then I went to a therapist. After turning 16 I never had a panic attack again and I was off the medicine (but I was still on something for depression)......

So maybe my body can fix itself like it did for the panic attacks?? Or am I just being stupid? Also, I think depression is caused by environment mostly.....I remember being teased from the moment I started school until high school.....I was spit on, beat up, cursed at, no one wanted to be around me and I think that really screwed me up in the head. Now I hate being in crowds because I think people are looking at me thinking bad things and they might make fun of me......

Anyway, I guess my biggest question is this: Has anyone ever recovered from depression?? I mean, they no longer have to take meds? I am not seeing a psyhc or anything, my GP is prescribing me med's....maybe I should see a shrink?? I dunno! I am unsure on what to do

Yes you can recover. I am at a point now where I have up and down days like anybody, but I don't feel depressed ever. I think other people on here are the same way. If you get on medication to help pull you up, then make lifestyle changes to improve the overall quality of your life, there is a good chance that you can beat this. I hope you are able to. Don't give up, you are stronger than this disease!

Yes you can recover. I am at a point now where I have up and down days like anybody, but I don't feel depressed ever. I think other people on here are the same way. If you get on medication to help pull you up, then make lifestyle changes to improve the overall quality of your life, there is a good chance that you can beat this. I hope you are able to. Don't give up, you are stronger than this disease!

Cool thanks man, I was afraid this was a disease that once you have it, you always have it. I live in Naperville btw, used to work in Plainfield a long time ago.

Guest HeadCase

I have my serious doubts I'm ever going to recover. As weird as it might sound, I'm happy the side effects from the Citalopram/happy pill I took last night have pretty much worn off and I'm depressed again and wish I was dead already :hearts:

From experience, GP's do not have enough training or pharmaceutical knowledge treating MH problems (usually push pills hoping one might work). I would suggest you see a psychiatrist for evaluation, diagnosis and a proper treatment plan. At your current age, you may receive more benefits from therapy than you did as a teen. It will take a lot of self-work on your part. Give it a second shot.

Not all people remain depressed for life and recover with proper treatment (mine's for life). There is hope for all of us to recover and be rid of depression (although episodes could occasionally pop in the future.)

Sheepwoman

And the episodes for me, shall never go away.

I am having one right now......

I have learned to live happily with my depression, and I have meds to thank for it, but even with meds it is not a cure all.

While I have learned to have a happy life, I still do have my days...

and for me it is just my "chemistry" related depression.... I have no problems in my life....

But it is there.... and other people often pick up on it....

It will be with me for life.

I will be on meds for life.

and that is the plain truth.

I have a good life..

Suicide is something that I do not condone or support...

Cutting one's self is something I do not condone or support........

sometimes

life sucks

it simply sucks.......

and then you die.....

and that's the bottom line....

For many,

it is as simple as getting a job,

or losing weight,

or being loved.......

and for many....

that will never happen....

never.... in a million, billion years...

So I stand here.....

with a blank expression on my face as I type this......

This is life..........

and crying about it solves nothing.....

deal with it because you HAVE to...

THE WORLD IS LOST ........look to yourself and NOT THE WORLD.....

find STRENGTH.... somewhere.....somehow....

I wish I never had depression...

I wish I could have a normal life...

but it shall never be.....

What now?

I LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.

I have no choice but to live with it..........

And accept it....

....and to find peace....

to find peace with my depression...

I would have "lost it" but meds help make the difference....

for those who do not have access to meds...

life sucks.... I know...

and nothing matters anymore....

even now,

for me...

nothing really matters anymore.....

nothing really matters anymore.....

but I shall drive on.......

because life is truly a good thing.....

and it only happens once in a lifetime.........

remember....

you are not alone......

the pain hurts...

and we share it with you.......

For me,

I have just taken my meds.....

I am going to lay down now...

after a moments time

"the lights are going to shut down"

And I shall go under.....

and sleep.....

and sleep well.....

and when I wake....

I shall feel better.....

and silently....

I shall continue with my life.......

Edited by svendorrian

You can recover from depression. Educate yourself through Therapy, never let people convince you that you are a lost cause. The best revenge is living well and being well. Remember that others don't expect you to get well or change your life. You can rise up and take control of your life and people will be surprised. It came from within my spirit. Somehow, some way, I was going to have a better life and I did it. I certainly found out who loved me and who didn't. Fair weather friends hang around in the good times and they vanish when you have problems. In a way depression was helpful in forcing me to grow up and take control of my life.

Doug