A Little Advice Needed!

Hi there!

I have never officially been diagnosed with OCD but I am 100% sure I have it. I'm not gonna list all my obsessions and stuff here, as you probably already know what they are.

But, I would just like to know.... I am extremely iretated and snappy and was thinking that this could be because of depression. I am very depressed and I feel iretated a lot. I get irretated every time someone blow their nose, every time someone touch me, everytime someone touches my stuff etc. etc.

Can OCD make depression a lot worse?

Can OCD make you feel like you have depression?

I'm trying to figure out which one of the two are busy ruining my life.

How can I know if it's my OCD making me so depressed and unhappy?

What medications do you usually get for OCD? anti-depressants?

Is OCD and depression very close to eachother?

Edited by Lizzy

I don't think your 'labels' are really helping in this situation.

You get irritated and snappy because you are angry.

OCD is part of the anxiety and depression process. Having OCD doesn't necessarily mean depression etc but they are closely linked.

:hearts:

Edited by Weathered

I believe my Obsessive Perfectionist personality led me to being depressed. Efffexor helped calm me down, when I was in my depression, and now that I'm recovered, I have learned to manage my Obsessive personality.

Doug

It can be tricky to put a specific label on these things. Depression and OCD can certainly be suffered at the same time but since they feed off of/fuel one another so much, it would be hard to say if one or the other is the root for you. I definitely notice that when my OCD is at its worst, those are also the times I suffer the most severe depression. But which one came first? Who knows. It's pretty common for SSRIs (a type of antidepressant) to be prescribed for dealing with OCD, sometimes in combination with other medication or sometimes alone. MY primary prescription for both my OCD and depression is a single SSRI. Don't let poor results with one medication keep you away from medicine altogether. We hall have different brain chemistry so sometimes it takes a while to find the one that right for you. I tried 4 other medication combinations before the one I'm on now (which seems to work relatively well - not perfect but very helpful). I can be hard but if you find the right one, it's worth it.

:hearts: to those who have posted here with good advice - thank you!

Stress can make any OCD tendancy worse. Anger in particular makes me stressful = OCD in my case repeated hand washing.

Don't give up on medication simply because you don't get the instant result you crave. Medication and other types of therapy often don't cure our problems but can lead us to a level of coping. Little steps.!

Edited by Lizzy